PDA

View Full Version : New Quilt from One of our Own

orthofingers
03-09-2017, 02:20
I wanted to give a little mention of a new quilt I recently received from our own JustBill here on WB. As most of you know if you've been here for awhile, JustBill (Bill Townsend) seems to have a pretty good knowledge of insulation (R-values, U-values, (well, that's for windows) CLO numbers, loft etc.) and he is making some quilts using Prima Loft Gold. I was looking for a summer quilt that could also be layered over my 20 degree EE down quilt for cold cold weather and the next thing I know, I pulled the trigger on his "Just A Quilt" in what he calls the Big Guy size. ( I'm 6'3" but skinny)

It weighs 18.125 oz. has a zippered foot box, these unusual "bat wing" panels that add a lot of functionality without adding much weight, beautiful stitching and is just a really well-thought-out design. He has plans for a SUL version without the zipper and a few other weight saving features.

I used it in my hammock this weekend because we had a cold snap and upon waking Saturday morning, it was down to 12 degrees F. I layered it over my 20 degree EE and was warm enough. My tarp was pitched inadequately and it was very windy, I had poly base layers on but I could have done a better job of layering the quilts (my fault, not the quilt's) because I had some shifting during the night when I wasn't covered by both quilts. I really don't plan on doing a lot of cold, cold weather hanging but I could with this setup.

I think it's going to be a great summer quilt. JustBill describes it as a 45/50 degree quilt. I think you could push it a bit lower depending on how warm or cold you sleep, depending on what you wear for sleep clothes and depending on what you use for an under quilt. If anyone has any questions, I can try to address them but, really, you'd be better off talking to JustBill cause he's got all the technical and design knowledge.

Oh, and he has devised a pretty neat way to wear it as a puffy when you're sitting around on cool evenings.

dcdennis
03-09-2017, 07:55
a nice post but seriously lacking on information. where can we see them? how much do they cost? is there a website? Details man! :P

Pondjumpr
03-09-2017, 09:56
Maybe I missed in in the post but what are the dimensions on the "big guy size" quilt? TIA

orthofingers
03-11-2017, 22:22
a nice post but seriously lacking on information. where can we see them? how much do they cost? is there a website? Details man! :P

Ummm, I'd say, contact Just Bill to get the whole scoop on the quilts. Mine was $150 but since these first quilts are kind of prototypes, I'm not sure if anything about these quilts is written in stone . . . . the size, price, weight or design. I would add a picture with more details but I'm currently out of the country and I don't have the quilt with me. I'm hoping Just Bill will chime in here. I don't believe his quilt business is to the point where he has a web site. I have never seen one.

Elaikases
03-11-2017, 23:22
I'd love to see details as well. I'm hoping for more in the business and the more, the better for all of us.

orthofingers
03-24-2017, 07:02

As I wrote in the original post. "If anyone has any questions, I can try to address them but, really, you'd be better off talking to JustBill cause he's got all the technical and design knowledge."

1. Contact Just Bill
2. $150 BUT, I don't know if that's the final price because I got the "Big Guy" model and he included a couple of modifications in mine. So, . . . . contact Just Bill.
3. Don't know if he's got a website. Contact him.

Just Bill
03-26-2017, 23:37

Yes... that was a nice post :sun
If you want to read a long and highly detailed post with some long haired jackalope talking all about quilts...https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/113531-Town-s-End-Update-advice-questions
I've been trying to get this quilt going for a few years now so Orthofingers was trying to spare you the details...quite a nice fella ;)

I'd love to see details as well. I'm hoping for more in the business and the more, the better for all of us.

Thanks to Orthofingers for the kind words...sorry to leave you hanging. I moved into a sewing shop late last year and I haven't been on here very much lately as a result. I've been working on a luxury bridge hammock too so the quilts fell by the wayside a bit but I am slowly edging my way into actually being open. I have been selling prototypes via word of mouth and that's been keeping me busy enough...I'm a one man band with a full time day job for the foreseeable future.

Anywho... my ITalian webmaster seems to be enjoying his new found freedom at the Grand Canyon so my website is a bit behind. Not much to see there, but you asked, lol.
Www.Thisgearsforyou.com (http://Www.Thisgearsforyou.com)

I am currently (just started cutting an hour ago) working on a batch of 20 or so of these top quilts. (Selling hammocks now I have to remember to say "top" or "under"!)

During these last few months I took the opportunity to redesign the quilts some after tester feedback and the quilt stacking discussions we've had here.
-So I doubled up on my quilt tabs (which I failed to share with Orthofingers) to allow easier stacking of quilts.
-I increased the size of my quilts; when you stack you want synthetic over down...so I built mine to be slightly bigger than a comparable quilt for this reason.
-I added a zipper to the footbox, then bumped it up to a #5 vislon and single pull zipper. The #5 doesn't snag much, holds up better for my 3/4 pad SUL testers, and the single pull zipper won't snag your hammock. All that said...I will probably do some limited runs without a zipper and with a slim cut for SUL/FKT customers.

So...roughly,
the regular is 42"x80" plus the "wingspan system"
The big guy is 48"x84" plus the wings.
About a hair under a pound for the regular, a hair over 18 oz for the big guy...and the SUL is 12-14 oz depending on final specs.

This batch I'm doing now is the one I will use to finalize average specs, as well as to take photos and give out more info. Most likely these will be the final specs for the near future and I will be making them in batches (not custom orders) or one at a time. They would cost too much for you and not make any sense for me. They will come in black with Moroccan Blue wings.

Likely retail will be $160 and $180 with the SUL models only available to a few folks by request.
Besides some unique design features...the two exciting things about this quilt is that it is the first Primaloft Gold quilt around. Primaloft Gold is the premier synthetic in apparel but not typically used in sleeping gear. Second, this is one of the first summer quilts designed with layering/stacking quilts. This idea is very handy for AT hikers as you can pair a 20* down with a 45/50* synthetic and have a truly start to finish system of top quilts. A 20* down quilt is a very popular piece, but not quite warm enough for early starts and way too hot for summer. There are plenty of good 20* down quilts..but a good summer synthetic has been missing. Primaloft Gold packs as small as down and performs as well as Apex. It's very hard to work with...but that's my problem :D

I'm not "open" so sorry to be unprepared and not have much to offer. As Orthofingers pointed out I have been a member here for a bit and discussed these before...there were some folks looking forward to these and there are a few threads and pictures out there but not a very impressive way to "sell stuff" on my end at the moment.

So if you are interested, well you made it this far so guessing you might be;
[email protected] is the best way to reach me.

For fellow WB members I will extend the same deal to you on this batch: $150 shipped for the regular or big guy. I'm making ten of each. You don't need to pay until they are ready to ship and feel free to say no thanks once you see final pics and specs. I wasn't going to say or announce anything yet but you know what they say about hot irons.

I hope to have some of this batch rolling by the end of the month if not sooner. I'm sewing them myself...so at least I know they will get done...but being a part timer I never know how quick.
They are first come first served but if there is interest I can start another batch. I have at least 120 quilts worth of materials in hand.

As I get a few done I'll get up some pics.
Thanks fer the interest and hope everyone is doing well and Lone Wolf hasn't eaten any spring starters.

Venchka
03-27-2017, 15:17
Bill has thrown the door wide open and let the cat out of the bag.
I'm your basic average Geezer. 71 last week. 5'-8" and 165 this morning. I would call myself an average to warm sleeper. I can be comfortable in a 20 degree down bag at 12 degrees with wool longhorns, socks, beanie and gloves. No extra down garments.
Last Thursday I spent the night in my local State Park. My sleep system consisted of my trusty Xtherm Large, Exped Red Air Pillow and Just Bill's UL 45 degree quilt. This is a pre-pre-prototype with sewn foot box and weighs 15 + or - ounces. Inside my new TarpTent StratoSpire 1 with the solid inner tent.
The insulation is Primaloft Gold. The same that Bill is currently using. A long winded way of saying that the test version that I am using is functionally similar to the quilts that Bill is currently making.
Last Thursday at Tyler State Park was was warm and breezy. 75-80 degrees at dark when I crawled into the tent. I was never too warm throughout the night in normal cotton underwear. Nor was I ever chilly during the night. It was 65 degrees when I crawled out of the tent about 6:30am.
The answer to the question, "Is this quilt and Xtherm too hot in the summer?"
Not really. Not yet anyway.
Late last year I was able to sleep in an earlier model XUL 45 degree model at exactly 45 degrees at 6am. For that night I was sleeping in summer weight synthetic long underwear, wool socks and a down vest over my middle. These were the exact same clothes that I wore in the South San Juan Wilderness Area last September. I didn't need any additional clothes to sleep well at the rated temperature.
Obviously Bill has passed on his gift of gab. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kookork
03-27-2017, 21:32
Hey Just Bill. I am just happy you are busy doing what you have passion and insight about. If one day in the future I want a quilt, I would love to be your customer. I miss your inputs here on WB. I am going to thru hike PCT starting May 6th. There is a journal going right now, but I know, I am not a blogger when I LD hike. I am realistic. Just do what you enjoy doing and you are the man.

Just Bill
03-28-2017, 09:26
Hey Just Bill. I am just happy you are busy doing what you have passion and insight about. If one day in the future I want a quilt, I would love to be your customer. I miss your inputs here on WB. I am going to thru hike PCT starting May 6th. There is a journal going right now, but I know, I am not a blogger when I LD hike. I am realistic. Just do what you enjoy doing and you are the man.

Thanks for the encouragement...
I miss being on here too! Really I wish I was out hiking more... but that's the ultimate personal goal with this biz... head of R&D/Product testing :D