PDA

View Full Version : Roan Highlands 10 days hiking suggestions, where and what month?

mjmjm
03-10-2017, 00:41
looking for ideas on starting points and the time of the year that would be best for trail traffic and weather. We have 10 days to hike. Very active and in good shape just not experienced hikers. Hope to spend more time on the trail than in hostels.

Secondmouse
03-10-2017, 02:00
near the end of June is when the rhododendrons are blooming...

MuddyWaters
03-10-2017, 06:05
Erwin to damascus, about 120 mi, start first or second week june. Rhodies peak 2-3 week june at roan.

illabelle
03-10-2017, 06:28
If you have time, include an out-and-back on the Grassy Ridge Trail a little north of Carver's Gap (only about a mile each way, I think). Very beautiful through this area in June.

coach lou
03-10-2017, 06:35
I took this walk from 17June thru 22 June last year. The weather was perfect. The Rhodies, Flame Azalea, Rasberry, Fire Pinks, Greys Lily were all blooming! I can.t wait to get back some day!

Gambit McCrae
03-10-2017, 09:05
I went last june, 18, 2016 and I would call it perfect. We had a cold front, and it was indeed pretty cold. But as far as the the flowers in bloom, they were perfect. I will be going back in June this year, perhaps several weekends in a row.

The highlands section is only 15 miles long. I have been tempted after completion of the AT, to take 4-5 days and walk the section back and forth. Hard to see everything in just one trip :)

For a linear stretch of trail, Hughes gap to Damascus would be 97 miles. I assume when you say you have 10 days to hike, that would include 2 days of travel. If that's the case, you could do 10-12 miles a day and still have your travel time. If you wish to do more then 97 miles, and have 10 full days to hike, I would strongly suggest Carvers gap, NC - Fox Creek VA

Dan Roper
03-10-2017, 11:45
Late summer - the end of August and early September - are also spectacular in the Carolina and Tennessee high country. The weather is usually nice and the fields and flowers are already transitioning to dormancy, so that it's as if you walked into a dried flower arrangement. June is also spectacular but can be crowded, especially on weekends. Usually late summer isn't as busy, if that's a concern. And, earlier in August - perhaps around the 5th or so, the blueberries are ripe. There's something to be said for backpacking high country and having a nice snack while you admire your surroundings.

coach lou
03-10-2017, 11:50
Gee, I forgot to mention the Lovely Red Head that Gambit was walking with that day on Hump Mtn!

JPritch
03-10-2017, 14:49
My favorite place to hike, ever, is the Roan Highlands. Damn it's pretty out there.

I really need to check out this June window, sounds amazing. I had the pleasure of doing it once in late Fall, and the colors and scenery around me were amazing!

mjmjm
03-10-2017, 15:51
I took this walk from 17June thru 22 June last year. The weather was perfect. The Rhodies, Flame Azalea, Rasberry, Fire Pinks, Greys Lily were all blooming! I can.t wait to get back some day!

Such great help! thanks!

mjmjm
03-10-2017, 15:52
Decisions as to when now! Thanks so much!

mjmjm
03-10-2017, 15:54
That sounds like a great addition!!

Gambit McCrae
03-10-2017, 16:18
Gee, I forgot to mention the Lovely Red Head that Gambit was walking with that day on Hump Mtn!

It was overrated

mjmjm
03-10-2017, 16:58
I went last june, 18, 2016 and I would call it perfect. We had a cold front, and it was indeed pretty cold. But as far as the the flowers in bloom, they were perfect. I will be going back in June this year, perhaps several weekends in a row.

The highlands section is only 15 miles long. I have been tempted after completion of the AT, to take 4-5 days and walk the section back and forth. Hard to see everything in just one trip :)

For a linear stretch of trail, Hughes gap to Damascus would be 97 miles. I assume when you say you have 10 days to hike, that would include 2 days of travel. If that's the case, you could do 10-12 miles a day and still have your travel time. If you wish to do more then 97 miles, and have 10 full days to hike, I would strongly suggest Carvers gap, NC - Fox Creek VA

Thank you so much for the help! We will have 10 or 11 full days to hike on the trail. Excited to start getting some pretty firm trails and dates in mind to work towards. Any other suggestions are always welcome!

mjmjm
03-10-2017, 17:02
If you have time, include an out-and-back on the Grassy Ridge Trail a little north of Carver's Gap (only about a mile each way, I think). Very beautiful through this area in June.

This sounds like it would be a great addition to our hike and this area seems like it will be beautiful then. Thank You!

mjmjm
03-10-2017, 17:08
Late summer - the end of August and early September - are also spectacular in the Carolina and Tennessee high country. The weather is usually nice and the fields and flowers are already transitioning to dormancy, so that it's as if you walked into a dried flower arrangement. June is also spectacular but can be crowded, especially on weekends. Usually late summer isn't as busy, if that's a concern. And, earlier in August - perhaps around the 5th or so, the blueberries are ripe. There's something to be said for backpacking high country and having a nice snack while you admire your surroundings.

Such decisions, both times sound great! Thanks

Rmcpeak
03-10-2017, 17:08
The most beautiful place I've ever been, seriously. Going up Hump Mountain out of Overmountain Shelter at dawn was breathtaking. We did it last Memorial Day weekend. Got shuttled from Mountain Harbour down to Indian Grave and hiked back. 42 miles I think... 2 nights for us. Memorial Day is a very busy weekend on the trail in that area, but that's when we had time so we went. Plenty of tent space at Overmountain.... Here's my blog post with a link to a gallery: http://hikingbob.blogspot.com/2016/05/roan-highlands-indian-grave-to-19e.html

surf-to-summit
09-27-2017, 15:07
I am headed to this section next week. Any advice would be most appreciated. It will be my first section hike. :)

Tennessee Viking
09-27-2017, 15:13
Carvers to 19E easy overnighter. Keep an eye on the Rays Weather to gauge temps.
Park at Mtn Harbour B&B

saltysack
09-27-2017, 15:27
Erwin to 19E...park at Uncle J in Erwin or MH at 19e both should be able to arrange a shuttle and have safe parking...great section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surf-to-summit
09-28-2017, 09:49
Rays Weather?

Venchka
09-28-2017, 10:32
Ray lives in Boone, NC. Ray knows the mountains and how the mountains make their own weather.
You're welcome.
https://www.raysweather.com
Wayne

Tennessee Viking
09-28-2017, 10:47
The mountains from Boone to Asheville has its own weather system; especially above 3500'. Light frosts are already hitting the area.

doeriverhikerrest
09-28-2017, 10:55
The weather has been absolutely fabulous now and for the next week or more. We would be happy to help with parking, shuttle, advice and anything in-between. http://www.facebook.com/doeriverhikerrest

Venchka
09-28-2017, 12:19
The weather has been absolutely fabulous now and for the next week or more. We would be happy to help with parking, shuttle, advice and anything in-between. http://www.facebook.com/doeriverhikerrest

I'm not on Facebook. You won't be hearing from me.
Wayne

saltysack
09-28-2017, 12:22
Not the place bashing MH was it?

Venchka
09-28-2017, 12:30
Don't know. Don't care.
It's a Facebook thing.
Wayne

surf-to-summit
09-28-2017, 17:09
Whoa, ok good to know. I had heard that, but I wasn't sure. So, do you think I would be ok in a sleeping bag rated to 40* if I stayed fully clothed in 3 layers? Or should I also carry a fleece bag liner? That thing is heavy....

surf-to-summit
09-28-2017, 17:09
Ray lives in Boone, NC. Ray knows the mountains and how the mountains make their own weather.
You're welcome.
https://www.raysweather.com
Wayne

Thanks for the insight!

surf-to-summit
09-28-2017, 17:18
The mountains from Boone to Asheville has its own weather system; especially above 3500'. Light frosts are already hitting the area.

Can you tell me if water sources are running ok now?

doeriverhikerrest
09-29-2017, 10:30
agree working on traditional web page now. We are just now finalizing a new Annex location .5 miles from the 19E trailhead towards Elk Park. Working on names as well. Will be more bunk house style unlike our present location with private rooms, outfitter, secure parking, shuttles, maildrops etc. more to come later.
Doe River Hiker Rest
575-694-0734