PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking

MarkWanhainen
03-11-2017, 15:16
Hey I am wondering if anyone knows a good spot to hike the appalachian to avoid super cold temperatures that like at springer.

Thanks

ScareBear
03-11-2017, 15:22
Try Mt. Washington....

Seriously, Springer Mountain is the farthest SOUTHERN point on the AT...where do you think it could be warmer?

Slo-go'en
03-11-2017, 17:49
Hike in July or August.

Traffic Jam
03-11-2017, 20:35
Welcome to WB. :)

I have trouble staying warm at night so look at several things when planning a hike in colder months...like elevation, campsite proximity to water, physical features of campsite (found out the hard way there's a reason it's named Windy Gap), weather (40's and rain is more hazardous than 20's and dry), expected mileage (I get very cold after days when I've pushed myself really hard, that's just me).

So, there's not really a straight forward answer. Once, I camped in the Smokies at a lower elevation than the AT and it was actually colder at my campsite.

When do you want to hike? If you're thinking about spring break and are concerned about temps, the Foothills Trail is a great alternative to the AT.

egilbe
03-11-2017, 21:04
Hey I am wondering if anyone knows a good spot to hike the appalachian to avoid super cold temperatures that like at springer.

Thanks

what do you think is so cold about Springer?

johnspenn
03-12-2017, 07:35
You can hike the Pinhoti in middle Alabama, Talladega National forest and that area. The Pinhoti is technically an extension of the AT, sorta. Should be a little warmer down that way.

Pentagoner
03-12-2017, 08:16
I am planning on doing the FHT solo in May. Seems like an interesting trip.