PDA

View Full Version : Gaiters on the AT?

meghanc
03-11-2017, 16:06
Are they worth the extra weight? If so, maybe only in certain areas at a certain time of year so I can just mail them in?

rafe
03-11-2017, 16:13
Yes and no? I prefer hiking in shorts so for me they make sense, at times. Especially in meadows or tall grass. Ticks and chiggers. ugh.

Slo-go'en
03-11-2017, 17:45
I use them in the spring when it's wet and muddy much of the time.

Rmcpeak
03-11-2017, 18:32
Dirty Girls with trail runners. Nice combo. Keeps the little pebbles out.

Drybones
03-11-2017, 18:40
Regular gators, no.....Dirty Girls, don't go to the woods without them.

Grampie
03-11-2017, 20:11
I used gators on my thru.Ialways wore shorts and the gators I had almost came up to my knees. I wore them to keep warm, in the rain, where there was a lot of poison ivy or when there was tall grass along the trail.

Traveler
03-12-2017, 06:15
FWIW, I don't go for many hikes without gaiters of some type. Most of the time I use low gaiters (REI or Dirty Girl type) to keep bits of rock and duff from the trail out of my shoes and help shed dew from casual contact along the trail. If going for more than a few days, when I know there will be poison ivy/poison oak, snow, or bushwhacking involved I will bring a more robust pair that cover the shins to reduce contact with poisonous plants, scratches from brush and briar, and contact with insects. Most of the time I use the low gaiters though in cooler weather I may bring the taller gaiters along for added warmth.

The low gaiters I have weigh approximately 1.5 ounces, however like socks, they are typically worn during the day so pack weight is non-existant. I consider these to be a basic necessity given the amount of trail detritus that gets into boots and especially low trail shoes or runners.

JPritch
03-13-2017, 16:28
I just never felt the need for gaiters. Not much really gets in, and what little does, doesn't bother me. Nothing that a 1 minute pit-stop can't fix.

la.lindsey
03-13-2017, 17:39
I like tall gaiters for winter, especially if there may be snow or it's particularly cold (I wear trail runners). Really, really keeps my legs warm and keeps the snow out. Never bother the rest of the year, but I may invest in DG gaiters since I've been digging these tall ones so much this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC13
03-13-2017, 18:31
The need or not of gaiters makes me believe it must have some tie in to how people strike with their foot. I heel strike and I have to wear gaiters or my shoes are full of crap.

Bansko
03-13-2017, 21:19
Are they worth the extra weight? If so, maybe only in certain areas at a certain time of year so I can just mail them in?
I didn't use gators for most of the trail, but when I started hiking in shorts every day I got tired of having to stop and clean out my shoes multiple times per day and finally bought some. They prevent wear and tear of your socks as well, since that trail detritus can be abrasive. Lightweight Dirty Girls gators go great with trail runners.

DownEaster
03-15-2017, 23:23
I've been trying to make my hiking stride flatter so I don't kick up junk compared to my normal city heel-first strike. The flatter foot plant is also supposed to be less wear on your ankles under load. On local trips (there's a greenway going most of the way to the nearest Walmart grocery, and I get 10 2-liter bottles of soda when I wear my big pack there for a 6-mile off-pavement "conditioning" hike) it seems to work pretty well to keep debris out of my shoes. So, based on these encouraging results, I plan to dispense with gaiters for my NoBo through hike next year.

Deadeye
03-16-2017, 20:36
Personal choice item - you love 'em or hate 'em. Personally they make my legs/ankles sweat so much I get a rash.

rafe
03-16-2017, 23:01
Personal choice item - you love 'em or hate 'em. Personally they make my legs/ankles sweat so much I get a rash.

They do make Goretex gaiters.

DownEaster
03-17-2017, 00:40
I think we're already talking the non-waterproof (good for debris protection only) gaiters, so those would be more breathable than the waterproof kind with Goretex.

earlyriser26
03-17-2017, 10:51
I recently bought a pair, but just use them in the winter when there is deep snow.

illabelle
03-17-2017, 11:17
We bought gaiters a few years ago, used them one time. Then after a long disappearance when they could not be found, they showed up two days ago. We're taking them on a wet weekend trip to SW Virginia. Don't expect any snow to speak of, but maybe if we use them again, it will help to justify the money spent?

Deadeye
03-17-2017, 19:33
They do make Goretex gaiters.

I've tried waterproof/breathable and just plain breathable fabrics. Doesn't make a difference for heavy-sweating activities like hiking - for me - YMMV. Even crew-length socks will do it.

Bubblehead
03-18-2017, 08:07
Why bring the extra gear? Your shoes will get wet/muddy....if you use trail runners, and darn tough socks, they can be cleaned in a creek and will dry out fast.

rafe
03-18-2017, 08:43
Why bring the extra gear? Your shoes will get wet/muddy....if you use trail runners, and darn tough socks, they can be cleaned in a creek and will dry out fast.

1. It's not just about keeping shoes and socks clean. It's about keeping pebbles, pine needles and similar small debris from getting into your shoes. Ie. the sort of thing that often calls for a short pack-off-break in order to correct.

2. Gaiters also provide protection and/or warmth for lower legs. Useful when walking in tall grass or prickly, grabby ground vegetation. Or protection from ticks and chiggers that live in that stuff. Useful for those of use who don't wear long pants while hiking.

meghanc
03-19-2017, 16:14
I used my gaiters on a long trip in Mexico and they were LIFE SAVERS from the cactus. I was pulling a plethora of spines and thorns from them every time I got back to camp. But being that there isn't really a cacti problem on the AT, I've been debating. Everyone's input has been great though! It's really helped me with my de

meghanc
03-19-2017, 16:15
I used my gaiters on a long trip in Mexico and they were LIFE SAVERS from the cactus. I was pulling a plethora of spines and thorns from them every time I got back to camp. But being that there isn't really a cacti problem on the AT, I've been debating. Everyone's input has been great though! It's really helped me with my decision, thank you!

Mugthumper
03-19-2017, 17:34
My dirty girl gaiters come along on every trip. I don't even notice that I are wearing them. Otherwise all that grit that ends up in your socks and shoes adds up quick and blisters follow if you aren't diligent about removing it.

MockingJay
03-20-2017, 14:53
If snow or rain, I use and recommend them to keep mud and debris out. Your feet are still gonna get wet, especially if your shoes aren't waterproof, but it will cut down on stuff getting into your shoe and your laces coming untied in thick overgrowth. make sure you get something breathable like goretex though. I went cheap with my first pair and had annoying sweat issues. My wife loves the dirty girl gaiters that I bought for her.

Dogwood
03-20-2017, 16:01

There are 2-3 oz gaiters.

Yes to the second question. Wearing low cuts in 4"+ snow Shortie gaiters can be an asset on the AT. As Slo-go-en said when it's muddy they can be an asset as well.

Dogwood
03-20-2017, 16:08
If persistent rain is in the forecast on multi days during the colder shoulder seasons or during winter I'll consider layering a pr of WP eVent or NeoShell Shortie gaiters under 3.5 oz rain pants over low cuts.