PDA

View Full Version : Seems chilly!

lilgodwin
03-11-2017, 20:06
Leaving tomorrow from Springer!

Just got to Ellijay and checking weather. Seems colder than I expected. Rain too, but oh well. Making a last run to Walmart tonight for a few things and food. I do enjoy a good chill, but I'm not sure how it is exactly hiking in the 30s (also in the rain).

I have longjohn bottoms and a similar long sleeve top, insulated runners pants, wool socks, and frogg toggle rain suit.

Thinking about picking up some gloves, but should I be looking at having more with me? I know I can layer up in a worst case scenario. But, thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

lilgodwin
03-11-2017, 20:07
*from Amicalola. I'm starting my LASH on the approach.

egilbe
03-11-2017, 20:18
Carrabassett Valley this morning looking up at the Bigelows

Slo-go'en
03-11-2017, 21:31
What do you have for a warm jacket? You'll need something, a decent fleece at the least. This little artic blast should pull out in a few days, but it is still March so you just don't know. The late spring weather we've enjoyed the last few weeks was a fluke, maybe it will come back, maybe not. A pair of light gloves and a warm hat would be a good idea.

rocketsocks
03-11-2017, 22:06
Good thing you're not going SOBO.

lilgodwin
03-11-2017, 23:16
Good thing you're not going SOBO.
No joke!

lilgodwin
03-11-2017, 23:18
What do you have for a warm jacket? You'll need something, a decent fleece at the least. This little artic blast should pull out in a few days, but it is still March so you just don't know. The late spring weather we've enjoyed the last few weeks was a fluke, maybe it will come back, maybe not. A pair of light gloves and a warm hat would be a good idea.
Yeah, no warm jacket. Might pick something up in the morning along with the gloves. I actually do have a very warm beanie. Just forgot to mention it.

Slo-go'en
03-12-2017, 00:10
Yeah, no warm jacket. Might pick something up in the morning along with the gloves. I actually do have a very warm beanie. Just forgot to mention it.

I know it's been unseasonably warm this year, but going into the mountains of Georgia and North Carolina in March without a warm jacket is suicide.

lilgodwin
03-12-2017, 00:20
Duly noted...

ChuckT
03-12-2017, 08:06
I'd opt for a fleece vest and layer with your long sleeve shirt and Frog Togs top. For weather I have finger-less gloves with over-mitts.

ScareBear
03-12-2017, 08:45
I know it's been unseasonably warm this year, but going into the mountains of Georgia and North Carolina in March without a warm jacket is suicide.

I suppose OP could try to layer up underneath the FroggToggs jacket, and that will probably do for actual hiking. But, I am a bit concerned about OP's nonchalant approach to the GA and NC mountains in mid-March.

Lightweight fleece gloves are cheap and useful.

Hoping OP has a warm bag...

Can OP please post progress reports? Youtube?

ShelterLeopard
03-12-2017, 09:42
Oooh, just because it has been warm doesn't mean it won't get cold- the southern mountains can get damn chilly. Especially the Smokies and the GA/TN mountains. In my attempted thru I sent some of my snow gear home in April (in VA) and ended up regretting it.

Hikingjim
03-12-2017, 10:36
I run pretty warm, and I'd still want a light puffy (or comparable insulation) on standby until about May.
+ an 8 oz or so fleece to start with for hiking/breaks and gloves/beanie.
What bag/quilt you bringing?

Praha4
03-12-2017, 22:34
you should figure on cold weather and some snow at least thru end of April, get a puffy jacket or midweight fleece top at the minimum.

you'll get to Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap soon enough, approx 31 miles north of Springer, where you can pick up just about anything you need Hang on to that cold weather gear at least til Pearisburg....or Roanoke, VA.

good luck, next few days will be cold in north GA

rafe
03-13-2017, 08:30

Mmm. I always went more for lots of layers. I started from Amicalola in early April, temps as high as 65-70 during the day, and at least a couple times, well below freezing at night. My jacket was just a Goretex shell but there were two or three warm layers under that. Fleece hat and gloves were critical.

I was in the mountains of WV last week -- latitude about even with Luray -- temps went from 65 at start of week to about 20 as we left. Wind and snow those last couple of days.

4eyedbuzzard
03-13-2017, 10:39
Leaving tomorrow from Springer!

Just got to Ellijay and checking weather. Seems colder than I expected. Rain too, but oh well. Making a last run to Walmart tonight for a few things and food. I do enjoy a good chill, but I'm not sure how it is exactly hiking in the 30s (also in the rain).

I have longjohn bottoms and a similar long sleeve top, insulated runners pants, wool socks, and frogg toggle rain suit.

Thinking about picking up some gloves, but should I be looking at having more with me? I know I can layer up in a worst case scenario. But, thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using TapatalkHope you're prepared for some cold nights - a few nights in the single digits and teens at higher elevations are not just possible but probable at some point all the way through mid-April.

Venchka
03-13-2017, 11:00
I've seen forecasts for the next few days of single digit temperatures and 20-40 mph wind in the NC mountains north of the Smokies. Those conditions are lethal.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colorado_rob
03-13-2017, 16:31
We're sitting in hiawassee, warming up, after one warm followed by three progressively colder days from Springer, just bought a sixth upper body layer (yay Dollar general!) for next few days, yikes, we've been barely right at comfort level, and we're used to and geared for serious cold!

Typical mountain weather though...

Expecting teens and even single digits next day or two north of hiawassee

ScareBear
03-13-2017, 17:27
We're sitting in hiawassee, warming up, after one warm followed by three progressively colder days from Springer, just bought a sixth upper body layer (yay Dollar general!) for next few days, yikes, we've been barely right at comfort level, and we're used to and geared for serious cold!

Typical mountain weather though...

Expecting teens and even single digits next day or two north of hiawassee

How are the bags working out?

Glad to see you two are OK so far. Cold does present....challenges...

Six layers? Did you bring a puffer.....???

colorado_rob
03-13-2017, 17:41
How are the bags working out?

Glad to see you two are OK so far. Cold does present....challenges...

Six layers? Did you bring a puffer.....???
Our 20 degree quilt was ok at mid-high 20's last night, we'll be chilly at single digits, but we'll survive.

All four of us have fairly thin layers that stack well together... I have a smart wool hoody base, then smart wool shirt, then thin down vest, then thin synthetic jacket, then arctyrex wind jacket, then frogg togg jacket. That makes 6. Just bought a light fleece for 10 bucks at Dollar general, now have 7 layers, I miscounted earlier!

I see many, many folks out here with much less, but they're much younger, and probably tougher!

JC13
03-13-2017, 18:16
Have to remember is snowed 3-4" in the Smokies last year on May 15th, winter isn't going anywhere yet.

ScareBear
03-13-2017, 20:44
Our 20 degree quilt was ok at mid-high 20's last night, we'll be chilly at single digits, but we'll survive.

All four of us have fairly thin layers that stack well together... I have a smart wool hoody base, then smart wool shirt, then thin down vest, then thin synthetic jacket, then arctyrex wind jacket, then frogg togg jacket. That makes 6. Just bought a light fleece for 10 bucks at Dollar general, now have 7 layers, I miscounted earlier!

I see many, many folks out here with much less, but they're much younger, and probably tougher!

Wow, that's a lot of layers! My engine runs hot, so if it is 30F and I am hiking the AT in GA, I wear a Terramar long sleeve base syn T, a Terramar short sleeve syn T and probably just the MH rainjacket/hardshell on top with a balaclava. I've got the MH GhostWhisperer to put on as the final layer in camp. I usually just wear rain pants over 6 inch Terramar(yeah, I'm their poster boy...) BB's. If it's going to be daytime highs in the 20's, I'd put on my other long sleeve T and tights that are my sleep gear. But it's nice to have gloves. Those Nike fleece jogger gloves have seen 500 miles of use over the last 4 years and still work great. It's days like these that I'm glad I bring wrap around sunglasses for wind pro...

Maybe we'll catch ya North of GSMNP!

Keep on truckin!