PDA

View Full Version : AT to Charlie's Bunion

dixiehiker
01-24-2006, 20:59
Hi! I do have a question, other than the petition on the North Shore Road! :) I was wondering if any of you have ever hiked to Charlie's Bunion (in the Smokies) from Newfound Gap via the AT. I was curious about the terrain of this hike and if it could be done as a day hike for a "moderate" paced hiker. Thanks for any info!
-dixiehiker

Jack Tarlin
01-24-2006, 21:05
It's 3.9 miles, a gentle uphill, with some flat bits too! A very nice day hike; you shouldn't have a problem. Without going too fast, you'll probably get there in two hours, with the return trip maybe a bit faster. Try and go on a nice day, it's a great view!!

Jack Tarlin
01-24-2006, 21:06
Let me clarify that: It's 3.9 miles from Newfound to the side Trail to the Bunion overlook; including the side trail, your total mileage for the day will be about exactly 8 miles.

Ridge
01-24-2006, 21:32
You will pass the "most used" shelter on the AT the infamous Cold Water Spring Shelter. The hike you speak of is probably the most hiked section of the AT. Newfound to CWS shelter and on to the Bunion.

sliderule
01-25-2006, 00:25
You will pass the "most used" shelter on the AT the infamous Cold Water Spring Shelter. The hike you speak of is probably the most hiked section of the AT. Newfound to CWS shelter and on to the Bunion.

Back in the old days, it was called the Icewater Spring Shelter. Before it was renamed by Ridge, that is.

Seeker
01-25-2006, 03:48
it's been awhile, but i remember the first mile or so being a lot steeper than the rest of it, and remember passing some day hikers who were absolutely 'wiped out'... couldn't believe i was carrying a pack up such a steep hill (their definition...) like jack said, it's a great day hike, 4 in and out, great views, and a wonderful place to sit and read... i used to climb way down on the rocks and was left pretty much alone... there's also a 'high side'. as you go out on the little 'side trail' off the AT, just look off to the right and you'll see some trails going up. take any of them and it will put you up over the spot where most people end up. it's even more private, because people don't throw rocks over your head like in my other spot... (i'll assume they didn't know i was down there.)

have fun.

Ridge
01-25-2006, 07:47
Back in the old days, it was called the Icewater Spring Shelter. Before it was renamed by Ridge, that is.

Theres a Cold Spring shelter in the Nantahala's between Rainbow Springs and Wesser I keep confusing it with. Thanks for getting me straight. I do this all the time.

dixiehiker
01-25-2006, 18:07
Thank you all! You've given me some great info on this hike! It's nice to know I can simply send out a thread and get all sorts of help from kind strangers! You've given me the info I need to want to give this hike a try.

I have one more question though. What about a winter hike? Is it precarious to try it in winter? We've only been to the mountains a few times in winter, and I have to admit, the snow and ice on the trails is daunting to me. I'm not experienced in that at all. First of all, how do you keep the trail and not lose it when it is snow covered, on the AT and all trails? Secondly, what is the best advice you have for hiking through icy patches? We climbed the Chimney Tops in the Smokies once in winter, came to a large icy patch, and busted our bottoms trying to cross it. I'd so appreciate ANY tips you have on snow and ice hiking, saftey in it, and not getting lost, as we are going up to the Smokies next month! Thanks!

Ridge
01-25-2006, 18:18
..... What about a winter hike?......

If you are planning to park a car at Newfound Gap, you better check with the rangers and the weather. They could close US 441 and its at least 15 miles out of there.

TwoForty
01-25-2006, 19:10
Look into getting yaktrax or instep crampons. Do not get full on mountaineering 12 point cramons! I made that mistake and they are gross overkill.
You can normally sidestep the icy parts if there is snow on the side, but that is not an option where there is lots of brush or sharp drops.
I would expect to encounter some icy patches along the way if there is/was snow in the last 24 hours.

dixiehiker
01-25-2006, 22:53
Thanks for the advice on WHICH crampons to get! That clarifies things a lot better! I had looked at some on web sites, but there were sooooooo many kinds. And, like you said, I thought the really pro ones were overkill for the Smokies. Now, I'll know what to look for! Thanks!
-dixiehiker

The Solemates
01-26-2006, 13:10

that was hilarious.

The Solemates
01-26-2006, 13:13
have done newfound to charlies probably a dozen times in my lifetime, almost half of them in winter with snow on the ground. its a great dayhike...one of my favorites. when we came by on our thru, there were 3 foot drifts and 441 had been closed for over a week.

but if the road is open, you will be fine.

Stoker53
01-26-2006, 14:00
If you plan to hike in the winter please heed the advice about instep crampons. Buy a pair and take them. Too many places where falling is the last thing you will ever do.

mingo
01-26-2006, 15:32
the trail to icewater and the bunion is almost always icy in the winter. sometimes it's so bad you can't step around the patches and you need crampons