PDA

View Full Version : AT for profit

Limbohiker
01-24-2006, 22:43
This thought popped into my head while I was reading a book about Everst today. Has anyone ever tried to profit from the AT by expending themselves for hire as a thru-hike guide? It seems like 90% of the people attempting everst arent nearly as trained for it as they should be so they hire "experts" to carry all their weight and basically their bodies up the mountain. Which to me isnt an accomplishment at all. With all the money hungry wackos out there i can def see someone trying to make the AT into a profit for themselves.

Skidsteer
01-24-2006, 22:52
This thought popped into my head while I was reading a book about Everst today. Has anyone ever tried to profit from the AT by expending themselves for hire as a thru-hike guide? It seems like 90% of the people attempting everst arent nearly as trained for it as they should be so they hire "experts" to carry all their weight and basically their bodies up the mountain. Which to me isnt an accomplishment at all. With all the money hungry wackos out there i can def see someone trying to make the AT into a profit for themselves.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11322:D

MoBeach42
01-24-2006, 23:02
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11322:D
Man! I NEVER saw that coming! :datz

gpsblake
01-24-2006, 23:14
With all the money hungry wackos out there i can def see someone trying to make the AT into a profit for themselves.

100's already profit off the AT in various ways. There is nothing wrong with someone being paid to guide people to hike the AT if there is a market for it. The only reason I can think of people having a problem with this is pure jealousy.

I would never pay a guide to hike the AT with me but I don't have a problem with others that do. Neither should you.

I'm already getting sick and tired of people putting down others for the way they hike. It happens way too much in WB.

Rain Man
01-25-2006, 11:43
This thought popped into my head while I was reading a book about Everst today. Has anyone ever tried to profit from the AT by expending themselves for hire as a thru-hike guide?...

For what it's worth, as on Everest, that makes 'em a concessionaire, and they have to obtain the proper permits from the authorities to profit from public land.

Rain:sunMan

Almost There
01-25-2006, 13:14
OOOHHH!!! Stealth Concessioneering!! Is that right? I mean how you would say it.

Ridge
01-25-2006, 13:20
BOOKS, Books and more books about the AT. Magazine articles. Maps etc, etc, etc. Man, why can't I make some money instead of doing all the volunteer work which actually cost the hell out of me. Ok, I'll personally guide anyone on a thru-hike complete from preparation-to return home fare. Cost: $5000 per with minimum of three.....NO REFUNDS. PLUS: You pay all expenses, I'll pay mine.

Just Jeff
01-25-2006, 15:47
Some people don't have the time (or desire) to learn all of the skills necessary to hike something like the AT, but still want to spend some time in the environment. Hiring a guide is a shortcut to being able to enjoy our national resources, hopefully safely and responsibly, without the time and effort to learn and plan it all themselves.

Is that how I'd do it? No. But our public lands belong to them, too. And if done correctly, they'll enjoy their trip and their appreciation of the resource will grow...which will sometimes translate to more political and monetary support for preservation. What's wrong with that?

I'd prefer knowledgeable guides making money by teaching people to responsibly use our resources, instead of the crowds of hikers who don't really care what happens to the resources. At least the guides have an economic incentive to preserve the areas.

rickb
01-25-2006, 16:11
Camp groups up in Maine make $ guiding people onthe Trail every year.

The Liberterian in me says that's great, but another part of me says that more of them would suck.

Being rickb-centric, on balance I would hope that the NPS does as much to discourage new commercial ventures on the AT as they do say, in the Grand Canyon.

TJ aka Teej
01-25-2006, 16:29
Camp groups up in Maine make $ guiding people onthe Trail every year.

Like in the Whites, commercial guides need a license in Maine.

"It seems like 90% of the people attempting everst arent nearly as trained for it as they should be,"

Hardly anyone starting their first long distance hike on the AT has experience doing long hikes. Most do just fine. The AT certainly isn't Everest.

dizzyT
01-25-2006, 16:39
I would think Everest would be easier. Just have trouble breathing for a couple of weeks. If you stay in shelters on the AT you have to hold your breath every night for 6 months.

Just decided I am for hire. I'll carry packs for $5/mile for the weary hiker.

mweinstone
01-25-2006, 19:11
mt everest has guides cause its mt everest. the AT has guides cause its the AT.without funds and laws to protect and trail clubs and hikers and thru hikers and polititions,....the AT would be just like the trail to the store at the corner. the fame and fourtune and national treasure statis places like the trail posess are due only tothe grassroot level user.joe shmo and his kid out for a ten minute walk on the AT from there car in a gamelands parking lot . and the reason mr shmo can use and does use it is cause its hudge and wonderfull and singularly unique,....like chomolongo is as well.and like her name mother godess,.the AT is the grandfather of sorts being the oldest range on earth and the himmalya being the youngest.

Ridge
01-25-2006, 19:17
OOOooooKKKKkkkkk!!!

dizzyT
01-25-2006, 19:26
I guess the him in himmalya makes him a grandson then.......whoo.....glad thats cleared up

RITBlake
01-26-2006, 00:28
http://www.warrendoyle.com/