PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoahs

Wesgoat
03-13-2017, 08:59
Last year hiked from Springer to HF. Was initially planning to start at HF this year and hike to Katahdin.

I am now thinking about starting at Rockfish Gap and hike to ME sometime between May 4 and 10.

I know there are other trails to explore in SNP. Would like to see more of the park this time thu. Loop trails connecting back to the AT or even out and backs. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, campsite suggestions.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

tdoczi
03-13-2017, 09:19
waiting for someone to go balistic about the title of this thread....

hike old rag, but do not do it from the AT, that misses the point of hiking old rag. drive around to it and start from the bottom

TX Aggie
03-13-2017, 09:52
The Tuscarora and Little Devil Stairs trails are nice. Both can be done as either loop or out and back. Plenty of crossing trails in that area and when you're off the AT you can backcountry camp.

johnnybgood
03-13-2017, 10:34
The blue and yellow blazed trails are the real gems of SNP. It's a great way to explore areas where previous inhabitants of the park once lived and made a life for themselves.

Going northbound from Rockfish the first loop hike I'd recommend is Wildcat Ridge/Riprap Loop. It's mileage and time estimate to complete at 9 miles, 5+ hours
It might be too long though.
This hike does however have excellent views from Calvary Rock and Chimney Rocks. To access this loop look for Wildcat Ridge Trail post signs.

Jones Run/Doles River Loop is a recommended hike after Spring rains . The upper & lower falls of Doyles River should make this a rewarding hike. There's a short and long loop option to consider.

Rapidan Camp Loop hike takes you to President Herbert Hoover's Retreat where he came to unwind during his term in office in the early 1930's.
Start at the Big meadows Wayside entrance road which is across from the Wayside itself. Length is 10 miles, time 5 hours plus

Cedar Run/WhiteOak Canyon is known for it's cascading waterfalls and is a must hike for that and the views from the gorges. Short Circuit is around 8 miles.

You might consider going to Potomac Appalachian Trail Club website at www.patc.net (http://www.patc.net) and order ' circuit hikes ' in Shenandoah National Park .

illabelle
03-13-2017, 10:49
Old Rag was a lot of fun. :)

tdoczi
03-13-2017, 11:06
The Tuscarora and Little Devil Stairs trails are nice. Both can be done as either loop or out and back. Plenty of crossing trails in that area and when you're off the AT you can backcountry camp.

i dont know the little devil stairs but a loop consisting of the tuscarora trail and the AT would be some loop... 400 miles? 500?

i'm guessing you're suggesting a part of the tuscarora and looping back to the AT after not very long via some other side trail, but thats not very clear.

TX Aggie
03-13-2017, 11:31
i dont know the little devil stairs but a loop consisting of the tuscarora trail and the AT would be some loop... 400 miles? 500?

i'm guessing you're suggesting a part of the tuscarora and looping back to the AT after not very long via some other side trail, but thats not very clear.

You can do the full side trail if you want something different. I was mainly referring to the side trails within SNP just south of the Tuscarora: Knob Mountain, Heiskell Hollow Trail, Overall Beecher Connector, then meet with Tuscarora and pass the waterfalls heading back to the AT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mugthumper
03-13-2017, 14:40
The Whiteoak Canyon area is beautiful and easy to access from Hawksbill Gap if you only wish to complete the shorter loop that includes all of the waterfalls. It can also be hiked as part of a larger loop from the Whiteoak Falls Trailhead that includes the AT. I hiked it clockwise as part of a larger loop included a few additional side trails.

My favorite hike in this area was definitely Old Rag which is a 9 mile loop that includes a rock scramble. It is a few miles off of the AT however. I hiked this in mid June last year on a Monday and only passed 2 groups of about 8 or so and saw about 20 individuals during the hike even though I spent close to an hour at the summit. I have heard that it is possible to have hundreds of people on the rock scramble at once causing long delays and thankfully avoided this by hitting it on a Monday, and even had gorgeous weather. I accessed it from the Nicholson Hollow Trailhead which is also easy to access from the AT and came back on the the Corbin Mountain Trail and up the Indian Run Trail. This area is great if you are looking to see bears. I saw 9 in a 24 hour period including 4 cubs, but was also bad for ticks also as I pulled 7 off of me during the same time period.

When my time comes to thru hike it is very likely that I would get off the AT to include these two loops again. As long as you you are looking to take in the scenery they are worth it. They also are not exceptionally difficult. Shenandoah was my only multi day trip last year and I was able to hike 22 miles on my first full day which included Old Rag. I would however do things differently next time, as I would not hike Old Rag with a fully stocked food bag next time around. It was a pain having to remove my pack repeatedly during the rock scramble. I might also use the fire roads next time to loop together Whiteoak Canyon and Old Rag. It would allow you to still complete the scenic loop of Whiteoak Canyon and Old Rag in its entirety while cutting out some of the long connector trails.

Malto
03-13-2017, 15:03

hike old rag, but do not do it from the AT, that misses the point of hiking old rag. drive around to it and start from the bottom

Yep, this and the Sierras

tdoczi
03-13-2017, 15:15
Yep, this and the Sierras

my prediction that someone would object was in no way shape or form an endorsement of said persons point of view on the subject.

Deer Hunter
03-14-2017, 08:39
I love hiking in Shenandoah. The link below will take you to some trails with brief descriptions.

https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/hiking-opportunities.htm

masonorange
03-27-2017, 09:11

SNP is my closest NP (about an hour from my home) and I still call it the Shennies even though I know it's the Blue Ridge

Lyle
03-27-2017, 09:51
If you are up for a challenge, include Old Ragg in your plans, perhaps as your starting point as there is a trail head near-by. I hiked it on New Year's Eve this past winter, and was rather shocked that this trail was in Shenandoah. Good portion of it is a rock scramble, but a lot of fun.