PDA

View Full Version : Summer Virginia hike

jacko213
03-13-2017, 09:37
Hey y'all,
I'm planning on starting a 1-2 month hike (depending on how long I can convince my parents to watch over my dogs) this summer starting the first week of May. I'm planning on starting at Davenport Gap (northern border of the smokies) with my dog and heading as far north as we can make it. Does anyone have any experience with what the weather is like that time of year - any suggestions as to what sleeping bag and clothing i'll need to carry? any suggestions or recommendations for that hike in general or things to make sure to see, etc? Thanks y'all!

windlion
03-13-2017, 10:25
Hey y'all,
I'm planning on starting a 1-2 month hike (depending on how long I can convince my parents to watch over my dogs) this summer starting the first week of May. I'm planning on starting at Davenport Gap (northern border of the smokies) with my dog and heading as far north as we can make it. Does anyone have any experience with what the weather is like that time of year - any suggestions as to what sleeping bag and clothing i'll need to carry? any suggestions or recommendations for that hike in general or things to make sure to see, etc? Thanks y'all!
Hey, jacko -- Shenandoah valley weather is notorious, but you are more likely to have problems with heat, humidity, and dried up springs than with low temps. Unless there are several late storms of the size arriving tomorrow (3/14), people are talking about another summer of drought and forest fires.

Also, the NOBO bubble will be passing by. I might skip up north of PA, if it is an option.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Hikingjim
03-13-2017, 11:15
That's a great time to be hiking there. Most of the serious cold has passed as well
If you go for a couple months you will pass many nice areas

One thing with going north, you will still be in the thick of things with thru-hikers that started in april (good or bad thing, depending on the individual)

I would take my 20f quilt on that trip. Still can get a touch chilly and I can vent it. Or a sleeping bag around 30f or so would be ok
That, combined with a light fleece, rain protection and a beanie would be my main warmth-related items.

If you go a couple months, it will get pretty hot toward the end. Early may weather still gets a little random, but nothing too crazy if you have something similar to what I noted above

bigcranky
03-13-2017, 22:24
(He's starting at the Smokies, not Shenandoah.)

Early May can be chilly at night, sometimes into the 40s, but it'll be warm during the day. I'd carry my usual lightweight base layers, nylon shorts, trail runners, a fleece layer, rain shell, fleece beanie, etc. Probably my 30F bag though I might be okay with my 45F quilt. Expect rain. There should be plenty of water in the springs and the thru-hikers are long gone, though there will be other hikers out. A month will get you to Damascus and another month most of the way through VA (at which point you may need to pay attention to water supplies).

It's a lovely time of year to be on the trail in NC and VA. Have fun.

Sandy of PA
03-14-2017, 09:23
In 2013 I saw 25 degrees at Overmountain shelter one night on Memorial Day weekend, May is not summer yet. With the elevation of that section, be prepared for a couple freezing nights with most in the 40's.

jacko213
03-14-2017, 11:14
Thank you everyone!!! I have another quick question...I definitely wanted to spend the night on Max Patch (I've heard its beautiful), but what do you do with your food bag? I've heard that there are many places in Virginia where its flat open land (not sure how true that is though)...so how has everyone dealt with their food bags if you can't hang it?

bigcranky
03-14-2017, 12:49
Um, I keep it in my tent with me....:)

Deacon
03-14-2017, 13:16
Yeah just keep it close to you in your tent. Don't believe animals will be a problem out in the open.

Tennessee Viking
03-14-2017, 14:53
Starting at the Dav Gap going to north in May. You probably will see the tail end of the crowd going into Trail Days.

Its going to be warm and stormy during the days. Maybe some 40-50 lows at night maybe up to 60s. Lake areas are going to be humid. Your 3500' elevation will be cool. If you start getting north of Graysons, it will get warmer and more humid at lower elevations.

Expect long ridgelines sources to start getting dry.

This years weather is going to be up in the air since last year went from wet to dry fast.