PDA

View Full Version : Bear activity in VA

Seatbelt
03-13-2017, 14:37
This past Friday nite (March 10) my son and I startled a bear who was hanging out around the Jenkins Shelter 10 miles north of Chestnut Knob. We scared him off and he never returned during the night that we know of. There are posted pics and active bear warning signs in the area. Just so you know.

illabelle
03-13-2017, 15:07
Thanks for the warning! Headed up that way this weekend.

tdoczi
03-13-2017, 16:13
but bears hibernate in the winter!!!!

(sarcasm)

Pinetree
03-13-2017, 20:35
I put a post from Brown Mountain shelter 2 weeks ago. Multiple bears at the shelter area while tenting.

Deer Hunter
03-14-2017, 08:34
We had a mild winter here in Virginia. I would say that quite a few bears never hibernated and that is why sightings/trouble is starting earlier this year. Even the bears that did hibernate may not have slept straight through. Some get up several times and get a drink of water, etc. Some may not have gone back in considering the warm weather.

Uncle Joe
03-14-2017, 08:50
but bears hibernate in the winter!!!!

(sarcasm)

Yeah probably woke up when it was warm, couldn't get back to sleep, then went to check the "fridge." :D

rocketsocks
03-14-2017, 09:00
I wonder how long a bear pee is after holding it all winter, my personal best is just a tad over a minute, but some of that is prostate induced trickle...so there's that.

BuckeyeBill
03-14-2017, 09:42
I wonder how long a bear pee is after holding it all winter, my personal best is just a tad over a minute, but some of that is prostate induced trickle...so there's that.

TMI way to much........

Seatbelt
03-14-2017, 10:15
LOL I'm glad I didn't have to pee when I first saw the bear--there wouldn't have been a minute wait that's for sure!!

Pinetree
03-17-2017, 17:40
Was it good size or an adolescent?

Pinetree
03-17-2017, 17:42
Glenwood Pedlar Ranger office confirmed you remark to me on the phone, not a lot of hibernating this year.

Seatbelt
03-20-2017, 12:06
Was it good size or an adolescent?
It was not a cub, but it wasn't exactly huge either, maybe 175-200#.

illabelle
03-20-2017, 13:29
Thanks for the warning! Headed up that way this weekend.

We completed our intended hike, 24 miles just north of Mt Rogers Visitors Center. No sign of bears, unless you count a "bear"ing tree - saw several of them.
Only animals seen were a skunk, a squirrel or two, and a handful of deer. Not many hikers out either. I think we probably saw about 10 NOBOs.

Seatbelt
03-20-2017, 16:08
We completed our intended hike, 24 miles just north of Mt Rogers Visitors Center. No sign of bears, unless you count a "bear"ing tree - saw several of them.
Only animals seen were a skunk, a squirrel or two, and a handful of deer. Not many hikers out either. I think we probably saw about 10 NOBOs.
We saw no hikers in 36 miles, none. We did see a couple of tents setup tho.

illabelle
03-20-2017, 16:28
We saw no hikers in 36 miles, none. We did see a couple of tents setup tho.

Not sure what your weather was. We had an inch of snow last night about 3 miles north of Chatfield Shelter. I'd say that kept a few people inside. Shouldn't have affected thru-hikers though.

b12r
03-24-2017, 09:47
I plan on hiking this section tomorrow. I will update if I see any bear activity.

V Eight
03-24-2017, 10:18
Just heard a report that some fruit trees in my area (nobo mile 700 +/-) were damaged by a snow we had a week ago.
Seems a lot of trees with good sun exposure had already started to bloom. The snow and cold temps killed the flowers. We won't know for a couple more weeks how wide spread this was. If wide spread damage was done, it will effect the wildlife including Bears. A couple years ago the same area had a bad Nut crop. That was at the same time the video was posted of the 4 - 5 Bears at one of the shelters near McAfee knob.

V8

b12r
03-27-2017, 10:01
I did not see anything, nor any true signs of bear... However, I did hear A LOT of rustling in the woods. Could have been a deer but with the reports makes me think it might have been a teddy.

Odd Man Out
03-27-2017, 10:56
I did not see anything, nor any true signs of bear... However, I did hear A LOT of rustling in the woods. Could have been a deer but with the reports makes me think it might have been a teddy.

On my last central VA hike is was constantly hearing rustling of branches off in the woods. I eventually figured out it was my pack rubbing up against branches hanging over the trail. Something about the location of it that made it sound like it was coming from off in the distance. Except the time it was a bear. I saw the scat in the trail first. Then the bear's butt as he ran away from me.

b12r
03-29-2017, 08:55
On my last central VA hike is was constantly hearing rustling of branches off in the woods. I eventually figured out it was my pack rubbing up against branches hanging over the trail. Something about the location of it that made it sound like it was coming from off in the distance. Except the time it was a bear. I saw the scat in the trail first. Then the bear's butt as he ran away from me.

To clarify, since apparently this needs to be clarified, the rustling occurred down the ridge line around 100 yds. away.