PDA

View Full Version : New pack

Flummox
03-14-2017, 08:26
Need advice on new pack. Currently use Osprey Exos and carry Average 22 pounds. Need a little more room for 3 season gear. Like the sound of ULA Circuit or Catalyst. I mainly do overnighter and section hike but preparing for a thru someday.

John M
03-14-2017, 08:30
Which size Exos are you carrying?

MtDoraDave
03-16-2017, 16:51
If you're only carrying 22 lbs, you probably don't need the 75 liter capacity of the Catalyst. I can't imagine 22 lbs of stuff taking up 75 liters of space.

I recently bought a bigger pack for my "cold" weather hikes, and I loaded all I carry for a week-long trip into my huge (bought from a neighbor for $40) 85 liter REI Mars, took it to the outfitter, and made sure it fit into the pack I was interested in.
That is my advice. Bring everything you will want for your "3 season" trips with you to an outfitter and see what size pack you need for it - then choose which ULA pack to buy. ... or buy the Circuit, see if stuff fits and if not, return it and get the Catalyst. ... or buy both and return one. ...or call them and see what they have to say.

Wyoming
03-20-2017, 17:59
Need advice on new pack. Currently use Osprey Exos and carry Average 22 pounds. Need a little more room for 3 season gear. Like the sound of ULA Circuit or Catalyst. I mainly do overnighter and section hike but preparing for a thru someday.

Do you mean your base weight is 22 lbs? If so then the issue is not the pack but the rest of your gear being too heavy and thus too voluminous.

The Exos 58 is one of the best thru hiking packs there is and 58 liters is plenty of space for 3 season long distance hiking.

If you start converting to a lighter set of gear (which also usually means it occupies less space also) you will sort of grow back into your pack.

Venchka
03-20-2017, 18:17

You're carrying 22 pounds of stuff.
What kind of stuff? How much of that 22 pounds is food, fuel and water?
Technically, 3 seasons started today (1st day of Spring) and runs through December 20. Realistically October can feel like winter. So what are you adding "for 3 seasons", through the end of September, that you aren't carrying now?
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
03-20-2017, 18:19
Mt Dora Dave,
Believe it. That 75 liters is very optimistic in my opinion.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flummox
03-24-2017, 21:46
I am adding all space eating down top quilts bottom quilts and lots of marshmallows. Will be adding pet food as well. I got a cat that lover to hike.

Flummox
03-24-2017, 21:55
The Exos I carry is only a 48 so maybe a 68 liter will work?. The 22 pounds includes 2 liters of water and 2 days of food along with hammock setup ,cook kit but no winter clothes or winter quilts. Look like I may get the Circuit to start and go from there. If it doesn't work I will make someone a good deal.