PDA

View Full Version : Katadyn BeeFree Filter

jdb
03-14-2017, 10:17
I just picked up the Beefree filter and this thing is great!!
It has a wide mouth at the bladder fill (43mm) and the nozzle at the end of the filter will fit into a Smartwater bottle.
Water comes out fast and will fill a 1 liter bottle in no time and is easy to clean.
The bladder is 0.6 liter which means you have to filter twice for a 1 liter bottle but not a big deal and it weighs in at about 2oz.

I have quite the collection of water treatment gear but I think this may be the one!

Cheyou
03-14-2017, 10:36
To bad it won't use regular water bottle.

Thom

Rex Clifton
03-14-2017, 10:40
The section hiker recently reviewed and it's on my punch list for when I get my REI dividend. I'm going to get the filter only and pair with a 2 liter Hydrapak flask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heatherfeather
03-14-2017, 11:08
I just bought the filter piece only, plus the 2 liter seeker bottle. I am going to hike grand gulch this weekend, so will need additional capacity. I am thinking a large smart water bottle. Looking forward to testing it out!

CHILL_TX
03-18-2017, 20:28
Used it this weekend to filter some nasty, murky, standing green water. Filled my smartwater bottles quick. The water was tasteless and clear as can be.

jdb
03-19-2017, 10:12
Good to hear. Headed out the next few months for Philmont shakedowns and Philmont in July. Filter should make things easier out there!

TX Aggie
03-19-2017, 10:57
I like the idea of no need to backflush, but it doesn't look like there's a way to make a gravity system for bigger bottles.

From a lot of videos this year of thru hikers, looks like water is a little more scarce than in previous years.

Venchka
03-19-2017, 15:27
I like the idea of no need to backflush, but it doesn't look like there's a way to make a gravity system for bigger bottles.

From a lot of videos this year of thru hikers, looks like water is a little more scarce than in previous years.

My experience to date is strictly pumps. However, the BeFree filter is apparently much faster than the Sawyer Squeeze or Mini, why can't you just fill a 2 or 3 liter Hydrapak container and have water on demand?
REI sells the filter alone for $25 and the 2 & 3 liter bottles for $18 & $20 respectively.
I'm debating. I could fill one of my Platypus bottles in a minute or two for use with a drinking tube in my pack. Then fill the Hydrapak container for camp use evening & morning.
Is this workable?
Wayne

TX Aggie
03-19-2017, 15:54
My experience to date is strictly pumps. However, the BeFree filter is apparently much faster than the Sawyer Squeeze or Mini, why can't you just fill a 2 or 3 liter Hydrapak container and have water on demand?
REI sells the filter alone for $25 and the 2 & 3 liter bottles for $18 & $20 respectively.
I'm debating. I could fill one of my Platypus bottles in a minute or two for use with a drinking tube in my pack. Then fill the Hydrapak container for camp use evening & morning.
Is this workable?
Wayne

It could be possible, I haven't had a hands on with the BeeFree. I do have the Mini Squeeze, and it works fine for one person on shorter trips. But I took my daughters with me on an overnight last fall and the limitations quickly became apparent. I will say that the mini would work very well as an in-line filter on a bladder.

The BeeFree I like because of the cleaning aspect, but that also means the fibers are more exposed, so I'm curious what the durability will be, and as I mentioned the gravity feed. As of now, my next one will be the regular Squeeze just simply because it comes with pretty much all the components you need in one kit.

heatherfeather
03-19-2017, 16:06
I used my befree filter with great success this weekend. There really isn't much of a need to set up a gravity filter. I could filter a full 2L hydrapak in a minute or so. I ended up using a couple Gatorade bottles to go along with the seeker, the wide mouth openings made filtering a cinch. I am quite happy with this product!

Venchka
03-19-2017, 17:40
Thanks TX Aggie & heatherfeather.
I can see my 2 liter Hoser becoming obsolete.
My dilemma now is:
Buy the filter and either the 2 or 3 liter Hydrapack bottle?
or
Buy the 0.6 liter bottle + filter for drinking from the ever present streams crossing the trail and one of the larger Hydrapak bottles for camp use.
Wayne

TX Aggie
03-19-2017, 18:34
My dilemma now is:
or
Buy the 0.6 liter bottle + filter for drinking from the ever present streams crossing the trail and one of the larger Hydrapak bottles for camp use.
Wayne

Y'all have a lot more experience with multi-day trips than I do, but I have to admit the one thing I am extremely anal about is having plenty of water. I typically keep at least 2 L just as a backup to whatever I'm drinking out of, which is why I don't ever see myself being at the forefront of the ultralight movement. I think it's from growing up in West Texas and Army deployments to really big sandboxes.

I'll be waiting to see how the new one works out with everyone before I go ahead with the Squeeze.

pafarmboy1
03-19-2017, 20:08
I have the 3L hydrapak/befree filter hooked directly to my bite valve through a sawyer adapter. Total weight is 4.9 ounces for everything. As a trial run, used it for a week-long hike on the Florida trail that was sketchy for easy-to-filter water sources. LOVED IT! Water pulled/flowed easily, clear and with no aftertaste.

2 things I learned though: 1) Have a ziplock bag to dip water out of source and dump into hydrapak. Wide mouth still not very efficient for dip-n-go. 2) Tube from adapter pinches much easier due to adapter now being in back mesh of pack instead of out in the open, so had to mcgyver a pinch free tube.

Venchka
03-19-2017, 21:45
TX Aggie,
You need to backpack in southern Colorado. I was there last September. Obviously a wet year. The place was soggy.
My favorite thing to do out there is scoop up a Sierra Cup full of cold clear water from a creek crossing the trail and down it.
I know. I'm crazy. But I've never been sick doing that.
I was in the upper Conejos River drainage.
Wayne

TX Aggie
03-19-2017, 21:58
TX Aggie,
You need to backpack in southern Colorado. I was there last September. Obviously a wet year. The place was soggy.
My favorite thing to do out there is scoop up a Sierra Cup full of cold clear water from a creek crossing the trail and down it.
I know. I'm crazy. But I've never been sick doing that.
I was in the upper Conejos River drainage.
Wayne

I would actually love to do that. I grew up drinking water straight from underground wells on our farm, and I'm not above dipping my hand into a stream for a drink.

Hell, I swam in the Euphrates, how much worse can you get than that!

TX Aggie
03-19-2017, 21:59
I have the 3L hydrapak/befree filter hooked directly to my bite valve through a sawyer adapter. Total weight is 4.9 ounces for everything. As a trial run, used it for a week-long hike on the Florida trail that was sketchy for easy-to-filter water sources. LOVED IT! Water pulled/flowed easily, clear and with no aftertaste.

2 things I learned though: 1) Have a ziplock bag to dip water out of source and dump into hydrapak. Wide mouth still not very efficient for dip-n-go. 2) Tube from adapter pinches much easier due to adapter now being in back mesh of pack instead of out in the open, so had to mcgyver a pinch free tube.

Sweet! Like I say, I'm not married to Sawyer, so if the new one works I'm willing to try it. Can you post a pic of your setup?

heatherfeather
03-19-2017, 23:51
My dilemma now is:
or
Wayne

IMHO, the 0.6 l is just way too small. If they offered a 1L version that would be worth considering. Also, if you read the thread on the befree over on BPL, there have been a couple instances of failures of the 0.6L bottle. I will say that because of the fact that the befree fits only a handful of products, it might be a good idea to carry two compatible bladders, in case one fails. I may consider doing that myself.

Rex Clifton
03-20-2017, 11:01
IMHO, the 0.6 l is just way too small. If they offered a 1L version that would be worth considering. Also, if you read the thread on the befree over on BPL, there have been a couple instances of failures of the 0.6L bottle. I will say that because of the fact that the befree fits only a handful of products, it might be a good idea to carry two compatible bladders, in case one fails. I may consider doing that myself.

+1 on the 0.6 bottle. Saw it in the store and its a joke. Best to buy the filter alone and the 2 liter hydrapak bottle. It would be nice to find a 1 liter, though. I wonder if there are any with the 42mm thread cap?

madgoat
03-20-2017, 11:36
I bought the BeFree replacement filter and a 2L Hydraflask Seeker. Used it a few times and like it quite a bit.

The flow rate is very fast, so I just fill up the seeker at a water source and filter into my 1L water bottle from it. I can carry 2L dirty in the seeker, and 1L clean in my water bottle.

Word of warning #1. When the filter media dries out, it will not flow water through it. On the day before your trip, fill up your seeker and screw in your BeFree and let it soak overnight or you may be left without water when you need it.

Word of warning #2. The Hydrapak seeker imparts an unpleasant plastic taste in your water. This fades with a few uses. Or you can use Hydrapak's method from their website which is to fill the bladder with water and juice from a lemon and freeze it. When thawed, the taste is gone.

Pros
-fast flow rate
-easy to clean filter
-seeker has wide mouth and is very flexible so it makes it very easy to fill at creeks and springs
-outlet side of BeFree filter is threaded like standard water bottles so all your female sawyer adapters work with it (so you can make it a gravity filter or an inline filter if you want to)
-the included flip cap can be replaced with a smartwater flip cap if necessary since they are threaded the same

Cons
-much lower life expectancy than the sawyer (1000gal befree vs 100,000gal sawyer)
-only works with 0.6L bottle included with the filter or 1L, 2L, 3L Hydrapak Seeker. Some of the Hydrapak softflasks are the same size opening, but I got a 750ml and it leaked all over the place

Venchka
03-20-2017, 12:42
I bought the BeFree replacement filter and a 2L Hydraflask Seeker. Used it a few times and like it quite a bit.

The flow rate is very fast, so I just fill up the seeker at a water source and filter into my 1L water bottle from it. I can carry 2L dirty in the seeker, and 1L clean in my water bottle.

Word of warning #1. When the filter media dries out, it will not flow water through it. On the day before your trip, fill up your seeker and screw in your BeFree and let it soak overnight or you may be left without water when you need it.

Word of warning #2. The Hydrapak seeker imparts an unpleasant plastic taste in your water. This fades with a few uses. Or you can use Hydrapak's method from their website which is to fill the bladder with water and juice from a lemon and freeze it. When thawed, the taste is gone.

Pros
-fast flow rate
-easy to clean filter
-seeker has wide mouth and is very flexible so it makes it very easy to fill at creeks and springs
-outlet side of BeFree filter is threaded like standard water bottles so all your female sawyer adapters work with it (so you can make it a gravity filter or an inline filter if you want to)
-the included flip cap can be replaced with a smartwater flip cap if necessary since they are threaded the same

Cons
-much lower life expectancy than the sawyer (1000gal befree vs 100,000gal sawyer)
-only works with 0.6L bottle included with the filter or 1L, 2L, 3L Hydrapak Seeker. Some of the Hydrapak softflasks are the same size opening, but I got a 750ml and it leaked all over the place

Thanks for the good information.
I'm sorry to hear about the 750ml bottle. The Hydrapak info claims the same 42mm thread size as the Seekers. The 1 liter Seeker doesn't exist anywhere on the internet.
So, looks like the BeFree filter and 2 liter Seeker for me.
Goodbye 1 pound of MSR WaterWorks!
Wayne

TX Aggie
03-20-2017, 19:03

Pros
-fast flow rate
-easy to clean filter

Cons

So another quick question:
If you do any winter hiking (or on the AT in mid March of 2017 :) ), how do you keep the BeFree from freezing? The Squeeze you can throw in your pocket to keep it warm, and since it's not a primary cap for your bottle it's no big deal. If you use a BeFree for your softflask lid, I'm guessing you would need to carry an extra lid for those situations?

madgoat
03-20-2017, 20:38
Venchka,
The 750 softflask that I had leaked like crazy around the threading when trying to filter. I have heard from others that it works fine for them. So it appears that "variations in manufacture" cause this problem. The threading for the softflask 750 were softer plastic, while the threading for the Seekers is made of a harder plastic. That may be the difference.

TX Aggie,
I haven't had mine out in freezing weather yet. But that is something I will have to think of if I go when it is colder.

heatherfeather
03-20-2017, 21:14
Venchka,
The 750 softflask that I had leaked like crazy around the threading when trying to filter. I have heard from others that it works fine for them. So it appears that "variations in manufacture" cause this problem. The threading for the softflask 750 were softer plastic, while the threading for the Seekers is made of a harder plastic. That may be the difference.

TX Aggie,
I haven't had mine out in freezing weather yet. But that is something I will have to think of if I go when it is colder.

I am betting you could wrap it up in any extra clothes/layers and bury it in your pack and it wouldn't freeze if the temp was around freezing. For a hard freeze, you could either take the filter out, put it in a baggie and snuggle with it (bringing along the original bladder cap), or snuggle with the bladder if it is empty, or maybe add some hot water to it, to either snuggle with or leave wrapped up in spare gear.

Venchka
03-20-2017, 22:36
I'm thinking that the filter could live in a couple Ziploc bags in the foot of my sleeping bag with my eye drops that I would prefer not freeze. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I knew that the Sawyer filters couldn't freeze. Figured the BeFree was similar.
The order is standing by for the coupon on Friday.
Wayne

Dirty Paws
03-22-2017, 18:41
I read a lot of positive reviews on BE FREE filter on REI, BPL, Amazon etc. BUT most appeared to be reviews after relatively short term use- i.e.. not thru hiking reviews.
There was a NEGATIVE REI review of a PCT thru hiker who reported that after initial high flow rates the filter slowed dramatically after 2 weeks of use. Not sure if this was the sole water purification system that was used but that gives me a big pause.
Im sure by the end of this summer we'll have a better picture of its usefulness for long distance hiking.

Its interesting but I'm leaning toward the Sawyer for my AT trip.

Venchka
03-23-2017, 11:06
I read a lot of positive reviews on BE FREE filter on REI, BPL, Amazon etc. BUT most appeared to be reviews after relatively short term use- i.e.. not thru hiking reviews.
There was a NEGATIVE REI review of a PCT thru hiker who reported that after initial high flow rates the filter slowed dramatically after 2 weeks of use. Not sure if this was the sole water purification system that was used but that gives me a big pause.
Im sure by the end of this summer we'll have a better picture of its usefulness for long distance hiking.

Its interesting but I'm leaning toward the Sawyer for my AT trip.

When I read online "reviews" I always factor in operator error and whining.
Have you read reports on Backpacking Light or Section Hiker? I got the impression that the flow reduction merely indicated that it was time to flush the filter after which flow was back to normal.
On the other hand, the Sawyer Squeeze, NOT the Mini, for $30 at Walmart is hard to pass up.
No worries. The Squeeze will always be at Walmart while REI gives me a year of field testing to make sure that the BeFree works as claimed.
Wayne

Venchka
03-25-2017, 15:20
BeFree filter & 2 liter Seeker on the way. Should arrive Thursday.
I think I will test it under extreme conditions. The creek in my backyard.
Wayne

CHILL_TX
03-25-2017, 16:27
I used my BeFree in a nasty, murky green, still pond in Texas last weekend. Water came out clear, and oder and taste free, and we were able to filter 7L of water in just a few minutes. Loving it so far. I got the 3L Hydrapack Seeker after the trip. It has attachment points on the top, side, and bottom. It also works as gravity filter with no additional adaptors.

One question for those using the Seeker: Are you using the Seeker as dirty water storage, or clean? If clean, what are you using for dirty? Just the .6L that comes with the filter?

heatherfeather
03-26-2017, 00:40
I'm using the seeker as a dirty water container. I filter into 1L Gatorade bottles, I think the wide mouths make filling even easier.

Venchka
03-26-2017, 12:54
I bought the replacement filter and 2 liter Seeker. I guess that means I'm using the 2 liter container for dirty water. And drinking from it. And cooking water.
One less thing to keep track of.
Wayne

madgoat
03-29-2017, 09:29
I use the 2L seeker for dirty water storage, and a 1L aquafina bottle for clean water drinking.

Venchka
03-29-2017, 16:22
I use the 2L seeker for dirty water storage, and a 1L aquafina bottle for clean water drinking.
If I think I'm in an area where I might be 3-4 miles between water I'll probably fill up a 1 liter Platypus with hose for use on the trail. The Seeker is always available for drinking from. Water coming from the filter is not supposed to be dirty. Right?
Wayne

Venchka
03-30-2017, 14:26
They're here!
BeFree filter and Seeker 2 liter water bottle.
Out of the box impressions:
Seeker = 2.60 ounces
BeFree filter = 1.22 ounces
Weight reduction replacing MSR Waterworks = 1 pound. YAY!!!!!
Water flow through filter with a bit of pressure on the flexible Seeker is quite adequate for drinking. Filling a 1 liter Platypus soft bottle will not be annoying. Certainly faster and less work than pumping the Waterworks.
Fitting store water bottle caps to the BeFree filter:
Volvic 1 liter: NOT! The cap diameter is too large.
SmartWater 1 liter cap: Screws on. Won't seal. Drips when inverted.
alo 1.5 liter cap: Seals tightly. No drips. Love it.
Essentia Push-Pull Sport Cap: Fits perfectly. Hallelujah!
So far, my opinion is: Winner! Winner! Chicken dinner!
The best use of my REI dividend ever!
Wayne
ps: The very faint plastic taste from the Seeker didn't bother me. I will squirt some lemon juice in the bottle as I use it around the house and see what happens. I'm not going to fool with the lemon juice & freezing cure just yet.

TX Aggie
03-30-2017, 17:11
They're here!
BeFree filter and Seeker 2 liter water bottle.
Out of the box impressions:
Seeker = 2.60 ounces
BeFree filter = 1.22 ounces
Weight reduction replacing MSR Waterworks = 1 pound. YAY!!!!!
Water flow through filter with a bit of pressure on the flexible Seeker is quite adequate for drinking. Filling a 1 liter Platypus soft bottle will not be annoying. Certainly faster and less work than pumping the Waterworks.
Fitting store water bottle caps to the BeFree filter:
Volvic 1 liter: NOT! The cap diameter is too large.
SmartWater 1 liter cap: Screws on. Won't seal. Drips when inverted.
alo 1.5 liter cap: Seals tightly. No drips. Love it.
Essentia Push-Pull Sport Cap: Fits perfectly. Hallelujah!
So far, my opinion is: Winner! Winner! Chicken dinner!
The best use of my REI dividend ever!
Wayne
ps: The very faint plastic taste from the Seeker didn't bother me. I will squirt some lemon juice in the bottle as I use it around the house and see what happens. I'm not going to fool with the lemon juice & freezing cure just yet.

Thanks for the Intel. Do you know if there are any tubing caps (like from the Sawyer Squeeze for instance) that will screw on so you can set up like a gravity system?

Venchka
03-30-2017, 23:29
Thanks for the Intel. Do you know if there are any tubing caps (like from the Sawyer Squeeze for instance) that will screw on so you can set up like a gravity system?
I haven't dug that deep. Surely with all of the gizmos that Sawyer sells for their filters, there must be something that matches the SmartWater threads and would do what you want.
The Seeker could easily be hung for the gravity arrangement.
Wayne

Venchka
03-31-2017, 18:20
I couldn't quite juggle the 2 liter Seeker, an empty Nalgene bottle AND the stopwatch on my phone but I managed about 35 seconds for 1 liter of filtered water. The Section Hiker claimed 30 seconds. That's close enough for me.
Wayne

Maui Rhino
03-31-2017, 18:49
I bought a pair of 3L Seeker bottles a couple months ago. I also bought a 42mm sport cap from Hydrapak. Once the box arrived, I learned that, white both are 42mm, they are threaded differently, and won't seal well. After searching high and low for a quick-disconnect cap or one with a hose Barb, I finally called Hydraflask. They do not currently make a cap of that style for the Seeker. At this point, I'm considering drilling the cap, and installing my own QD hose fitting. However, they also do not currently stock replacement caps for the Seeker. The customer service rep I was speaking to was very helpful, and from the sounds of it, they're aware of the need for more caps, and for caps with hose fittings for those of us who want to use the Seeker in a gravity system.

TX Aggie
03-31-2017, 19:55
I bought a pair of 3L Seeker bottles a couple months ago. I also bought a 42mm sport cap from Hydrapak. Once the box arrived, I learned that, white both are 42mm, they are threaded differently, and won't seal well. After searching high and low for a quick-disconnect cap or one with a hose Barb, I finally called Hydraflask. They do not currently make a cap of that style for the Seeker. At this point, I'm considering drilling the cap, and installing my own QD hose fitting. However, they also do not currently stock replacement caps for the Seeker. The customer service rep I was speaking to was very helpful, and from the sounds of it, they're aware of the need for more caps, and for caps with hose fittings for those of us who want to use the Seeker in a gravity system.

Since they promote the loops to hang the Seeker with, you'd think they would have thought of that.

I wish the MSR Dromedary would have hit it off, they fit agains the front inside of your pack better than the seeker. That's really my only concern with the Seeker is its shape when filled.

Venchka
03-31-2017, 21:10
Disappointed: the 2 liter Seeker doesn't stand alone.
My antique soft 1 L Platypus and 3 L Nalgene are winners in the stand alone category yet roll up flat and small.
Wayne

Hosh
03-31-2017, 21:20
The plastic's designers must get patent awards for coming up with a "new" thread design. Makes optimizing systems for different group sizes and trip environments agonizing.

We need "open systems" for water filtration, where's Scott McNealy?

Venchka
05-16-2017, 07:53
You might know. Before I've had a chance to use the BeFree in the wild, a 1 liter bottle is on the market now.
https://www.rei.com/product/116364/katadyn-befree-collapsible-water-filter-bottle-338-fl-oz
Wayne

Just Tom
05-16-2017, 08:15
I find the current size perfect for scooping water. Any larger and you probably wouldn't fill it in a scoop anyway.

Venchka
05-16-2017, 08:25
I find the current size perfect for scooping water. Any larger and you probably wouldn't fill it in a scoop anyway.
Not an issue for me. I carry something else for the 1 in a 1,000,000 times I can't get water into a larger container.
Look at the shape. It will lay down in shallow sources.
https://www.rei.com/product/116364/katadyn-befree-collapsible-water-filter-bottle-338-fl-oz
As always, if it doesn't work for you, don't buy it.
Wayne

linus72
05-16-2017, 09:02
I LOVE this thing. I always bring Aqua mira backups in case of clogs, but with this thing filtering so much faster than my sawyers, its my new go-to. When I get to a water source, I fill it, camel up right from the (closed) BeFree drinking cap, then refill and filter into my main water bottle, then fill this thing again as a secondary source. Piece of cake, fast and easy.

linus72
05-16-2017, 09:03
oh good they released a 1L now! back to REI I go.

Just Tom
05-16-2017, 09:05
I LOVE this thing. I always bring Aqua mira backups in case of clogs, but with this thing filtering so much faster than my sawyers, its my new go-to. When I get to a water source, I fill it, camel up right from the (closed) BeFree drinking cap, then refill and filter into my main water bottle, then fill this thing again as a secondary source. Piece of cake, fast and easy.
Exactly what I do as well!

Venchka
05-16-2017, 10:02
oh good they released a 1L now! back to REI I go.

ONLINE ONLY AT THIS TIME.
Wayne

linus72
05-16-2017, 10:08
Gotcha thanks Wayne. Looks like a pre-order so I'm glad they're answering the need and hopefully were following the feedback here and elsewhere to identify that people would like a mid size one

globetruck
05-16-2017, 20:20
A lot of negative reviews about the bag leaking and poor construction quality. Also there's a suspicious remark that it's been "tested to 1000L." Not sure what that really implies, but I think I'd like more info and longer term reviews.

Venchka
05-16-2017, 22:50
A lot of negative reviews about the bag leaking and poor construction quality. Also there's a suspicious remark that it's been "tested to 1000L." Not sure what that really implies, but I think I'd like more info and longer term reviews.

What did the negative reviews say about the filter and 20 ounce bottle?
I bought the Hydrapak Seeker 2 liter water bottle instead of the 20 ounce bottle.
I hope to use the combination for 2+ weeks later this summer. I know that isn't exactly long term, but it's something.
I'm also very much aware of operator error and folks who are genetically hard on equipment.
Wayne

madgoat
05-17-2017, 08:49
I bought the replacement BeFree filter and the older model 2L Seeker. (new Seeker model is heavier) I have had no leakage issues with the threading. The older Seeker bag has hard plastic threading and works flawlessly with my BeFree.

Before I bought the Seeker, I bought a 750ML Hydrapak Softflask. The threading on it was a softer rubbery feeling plastic. I could not get the BeFree to make a proper seal on the 750ml. It would leak through the threading. Someone suggested removing the plastic ring that holds the webbing thumb loop because their bottle threading worked fine after removing the ring. Unfortunately, for my softflask, this did not fix the threading problem.

My Seeker 2L + Befree weighs in at 2.9oz. The new Seeker 2L is a bit heavier at 2.7oz for the bag alone.

Venchka
05-17-2017, 10:04
Thanks madgoat. Apparently I have the newer Seeker 2 liter bottle. Hard threads and cap. Filter, push pull cap and Seeker with cap = 3.88 ounces. Over a pound lighter than the MSR WaterWorks I am replacing.
Testing in Wyoming in September.
Wayne

Berserker
06-05-2017, 12:48
All the peer pressure on here to buy this thing got to me, so I got one :) Used the coupon, and ordered the 1 liter version online from REI. I used it on my most recent hike (GSMNP). Really neat concept, and the flow is good. I'm using it primarily as a pre-filter as I still like to use my Steripen, so it's one heck of a pre-filter. I am carrying it in the place of one of my 2 liter Platy bags, which weighs 1.4 oz. The BeFree with 1 liter bottle weighs 2.1 oz.

Just Bill
06-05-2017, 14:14
I got one too...
a little bewildered by the flow rate... but Katadyn has always made the best filters overall so I remain optimistic.

It seems too fast. But perhaps that's simply that the sawyer can only input through the relatively small I.D. of the housing where this filter is fully exposed. It's similar or the same tech... so a dramatically better flow rate seems odd but perhaps it really is as simple as the exposure rate on the dirty side.

Berserker- FWIW: the long term storage instruction recommend running a bottle full of water with a few drops of bleach through. That is encouraging to me in showing the filter could be compatible with bleach so if you were in suspect areas you could use a microdropper bottle of bleach in lieu of the steripen (provided the taste was acceptable) to accomplish purification without damaging the filter.

jdenkevitz
06-05-2017, 17:09
Just used a BeFree for a short trip. Amazed at how fast it filters. I bought the replacement filter and the 3L Hydrapak bag.

Venchka
06-05-2017, 17:16
The only thing missing is a vent in the Hydrapak Seeker.
I'm a trendsetter. Who knew? [emoji41][emoji106][emoji1]
Wayne

Greenlight
06-05-2017, 20:24
I was puttering around REI last week and looked at the Katadyn BeFree...they now have a 1 liter version. I was so tempted, but I didn't walk out with one. Yet. My Sawyer Squeeze is still functional. I may try a BeFree eventually. They look neat. The 1 liter, that is. I'd never buy a .6 liter anything.

I just picked up the Beefree filter and this thing is great!!
It has a wide mouth at the bladder fill (43mm) and the nozzle at the end of the filter will fit into a Smartwater bottle.
Water comes out fast and will fill a 1 liter bottle in no time and is easy to clean.
The bladder is 0.6 liter which means you have to filter twice for a 1 liter bottle but not a big deal and it weighs in at about 2oz.

I have quite the collection of water treatment gear but I think this may be the one!

Just Bill
06-06-2017, 08:48
The only thing missing is a vent in the Hydrapak Seeker.
I'm a trendsetter. Who knew? [emoji41][emoji106][emoji1]
Wayne

Consider yourself to blame for my purchase.

Venchka
06-06-2017, 09:27
Only if it works.
If not, I was never here.
[emoji3]
Wayne

Cobra317
07-20-2017, 20:18
3L version on it's way this fall. Stay tuned.

Venchka
07-20-2017, 20:51
Hydrapak had 2 & 3 liter soft bottles last spring. I bought the filter and the 2 liter bottle last spring.
What is new about the coming 3 liter bottle?
Wayne

saltysack
07-20-2017, 23:34
I was tempted also but.....I've had bags break w Sawyer and you simply screw on your water bottle were as befree u bescrewed.......

MikekiM
07-21-2017, 05:52
I believe the 3L Seeker is available now.

I am using the 2L Seeker and returned the 0.6 BeFree for the 1L version.. far more useful than the smaller 0.6. I am still amazed at the flow rate on the BeFree... very happy. Also, the two softies dry in so little time.. I've had Platypus and Sawyer bags take weeks to dry after cleaning.

blw2
07-21-2017, 11:29
been seeing mention of the katadyn filter more an more on youtube.
My completely inexperienced observation is that if that bottle rips you're out of luck. No fitting that thing up to any other bottle or rigging up any sort of gravity feed without that proprietary bottle.

Maineiac64
07-21-2017, 13:50
I was tempted also but.....I've had bags break w Sawyer and you simply screw on your water bottle were as befree u bescrewed.......

Haha, good one.

MikekiM
07-21-2017, 18:29
My completely inexperienced observation is that if that bottle rips you're out of luck. No fitting that thing up to any other bottle or rigging up any sort of gravity feed without that proprietary bottle.

It's a lot more versatile than you may be thinking..

So let me help a little here... I have abused both the Seeker and the 1ltr BeFree bottle. Tossed them around, shoved them in tight pack packets and squeeze them to dispense the water. No problems yet. Plus they roll up much smaller than any of my other soft bags. Admittedly, they don't have that many miles on them, but I am really rough with them...intentionally. So far so good.

As far as gravity feed.. The BeFree filter is two parts.. the main filter body and a removable cap that is essentially a SmartWater sippy cap. There are lots of options for rigging up a gravity system using all the parts that are commonly used in the sawyer setups if you have or want to buy the fittings. That said, what I did was took a piece of food grade hose and pushed it into the SmartWater cap on the BeFree. I don't use the Seekers cap. Rather I have the BeFree filter on the Seeker any time I not using the 1ltr bag. The Seeker has three points to which you can attach a piece of micro cord or Zingit so you can hang the Seeker. And, inline I have a pinch valve. In the past I would have another fitting on the clean bottle end, but the flow rate of the BeFree is so fast I just put the hose in the clean water bottle, open the pinch valve and in no time the clean bottle is full. In fact, the flow rate is so fast, there really is no need for a gravity feed system.. I never need to walk away from it, so no worries of knocking a bottle over or overflowing. It's that fast.

Plus, since I don't need additional Sawyer fittings and extra backup bottle caps, and the gravity setup/hose is my backup cap for the shoulder mounted smart water bottle, I've shaved some weight and extra parts from my kit.

I do use the 1ltr bag and filter. Pull up to a water source and want to tank up quickly? You can fill the wide mouth bag faster, and easier than any of my other Sawyer/Platy style bags (no dip cup needed to pour water into the small mouth bags) and then chug it down right from there. And then repeat a few times. I can fill and then drink the contents of the BeFree a few times in the same time it would take to fill the Sawyer bag just once... I may be exaggerating there just a little. But it's fast and easy.

I was concerned about going from water source to my mouth with the same bag, thinking that there surely would be some dirty water on the bag that could contaminate my mouth, but I've made it a habit to hold the BeFree vertically and give the bag a squeeze before drinking so the filtered water washes down the sides of the BeFree. Problem solved.

I've tossed both Sawyer filters in the trash and packed the Sawyer bags away. I still use two Platy clean water bags (a 1 ltr and a 2 ltr) along with the two Katadyn bags.

I'll respectfully disagree with your statement, and strongly encourage you to get your hands on one, or see one in action. It's a complete game changer for me as far as filtration and storage.

Nodust
07-21-2017, 19:32
I'm planning on bringing 2 2L seeker soft bottles for water storage. That way I have one backup. I'll carry a Smart Water bottle to drink from and carry more unfiltered in the seekers as needed for a Colorado Trail 2 week hike.

blw2
07-21-2017, 22:33
Mikeklm, I think you misunderstood my primary point..... its not so much the versatility. It's the way the thing is made. Looks like you are out of luck if the bag fails and you don't have an extra. With something like sawyer, you can screw it to the bag, or a smartwater bottle, attach hoses to both ends, etc....

Venchka
07-21-2017, 22:51
Mikeklm, I think you misunderstood my primary point..... its not so much the versatility. It's the way the thing is made. Looks like you are out of luck if the bag fails and you don't have an extra. With something like sawyer, you can screw it to the bag, or a smartwater bottle, attach hoses to both ends, etc....

So bring an extra bag. The 2 liter Seeker weighs next to nothing. It's been 6 months since I weighed my setup, but 4 ounces for the BeFree + 2 liter Seeker is what I remember. Maybe a bit less.
A video link to a lot of other videos.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uKclOscKfPg
Wayne

Venchka
07-22-2017, 09:24
Hydrapak 2 liter Seeker.
2.64 ounces. 75 grams.
How does that compare to 1 liter SmartWater or Sawyer or Evernew bottles? Hey.
Wayne

linus72
08-04-2017, 10:35
my .6 bag finally sprung a small leak last hike. while it's still usable with a little duct tape on it, i know there is now a 1L but i can't find it on its own without the filter part b/c i don't need the filter part. so i guess i will order the 2L seeker bag if that fits the filter - is that correct? need to order for next weekends section hike

Venchka
08-04-2017, 16:43
The 2L Seeker fits the BeFree filter perfectly.
Wayne

MikekiM
08-05-2017, 08:21
my .6 bag finally sprung a small leak last hike. while it's still usable with a little duct tape on it, i know there is now a 1L but i can't find it on its own without the filter part b/c i don't need the filter part. so i guess i will order the 2L seeker bag if that fits the filter - is that correct? need to order for next weekends section hike

Small leak? Resolved with Duct Tape? Did you poke a hole in it? Share the nature of the leak if you would please...

I returned the 0.6 bag in favor of the 1 ltr bag. I didn't see much opportunity to use the smaller bag. I use it in conjunction with the 2 litr Seeker as you describe, but the filter pretty much stays on the larger bag. The small bag stays home unless it's a day hike.

linus72
08-07-2017, 11:06
i just went and got the seeker 2L it has a much more useful capacity than the .6 it came with which has now sprung a leak. i dont know how it sprung a leak it just did.

saltysack
08-07-2017, 11:29
These replies are why I decided to stick with the sawyer....most any water bottle your good to go...all bladders will fail so it's easily rectified by using a std thread water bottle...love the idea of much faster flow but the risk isn't worth drinking questionable water...

Venchka
08-07-2017, 15:48
There's a video online. 2 SmartWater bottle adapter caps and some 1/4" tubing. Instant Seeker bladder to SmartWater bottle system.
Wayne

Venchka
08-08-2017, 20:10
There's a video online. 2 SmartWater bottle adapter caps and some 1/4" tubing. Instant Seeker bladder to SmartWater bottle system.
Wayne

Here it is.
Wayne

saltysack
08-08-2017, 20:46
Here it is.
Wayne

Thx....I just don't like not having a back up dirty water container but I guess could use the .6 or 1l clear bag and carry 2l seeker. Use the 1l as clean water carrier and back up if seeker fails...jury's out for me....as well as $$$....I'll keep my mini and new $10 evernew till it fails then may try this...by then it should have lots of good long term tests on longevity....

MikekiM
08-09-2017, 05:52
Wayne

Easier to use two Smart Water sippy caps and press the hose into the caps opening. You're carrying the cap on the bottle already, and probably carry a backup as well ( I do ). So all I am adding is the short length of hose.

Dogwood
02-26-2018, 17:18
I havent read every post on the thread so dont know If its already been mentioned. Will Reitveld gave a good Befree review

jigsaw
02-26-2018, 18:36
I really liked the look of the befree. but after watching bigfoots youtube review after less than 2 weeks the flow rate was cut in half. that means more pressure squeezing the bag
ive had too many bags leak before
so I went with the msr trail shot instead. I havent had it out for any trail time so time will tell.

Venchka
03-18-2018, 18:24
First field use: September, 2017. Big Sandy River & Fish Creek, Wind River Range.
BeFree filter and 2 liter Seeker in a cabinet in the garage since I got back from Wyoming last September.
I was bored so I got the filter + Seeker out and commenced filtering into a 1.5 liter bottle in the kitchen.
It seemed like the flow was slow. Is this the dreaded flow reduction claimed by a few on the internet?
After much swirling and shaking and squeezing I emtied the 2 liter Seeker. I placed the BeFree filter in a cup of fresh tap water and let it sit.
2 or 3 hours later I refilled the Seeker. Attached the BeFree and commenced squeezing water into the 1.5 liter bottle.
SHAZAM! I swear the flow was faster than I have ever seen before. The 1.5 liter bottled filled FAST!
So. In the future I will exercise and soak the BeFree filter before I leave on a backpacking trip.
If you think the BeFree is slowing down, give it time to soak. Rinse itself off. Then give it a squeeze.
My filter is as good, maybe better, than the day I bought it.
Wayne

Venchka
03-20-2018, 16:17
Verifying my impression of the speed of my filter:
1 liter.
30 seconds.
Works for me.
Wayne

Venchka
03-29-2018, 10:29
One more time:
The BeFree filter and 2 liter Seeker in gravity mode.
While moving the greenhouse plants out of the garage yesterday, I decided to try the filter and Seeker in gravity mode. I filled the Seeker, attached the BeFree and suspended it over the 3 quart/liter Nalgene soft canteen. The trickled out and the Seeker was empty an hour or two later. I have no other gravity filter experience for comparison.
Wayne