PDA

View Full Version : New Quilt question 10D or 20D

wiiawiwb
03-14-2017, 17:54
I am going to order a quilt from EE and was wondering the positives and negatives of having 10D as the outer shell vs 20D. Is there much abrasion with 10D or chance of cutting it?

Which did you chose and why?

saltysack
03-14-2017, 22:00
10 d is fine....I've had several pieces of 10d gear even with s small dog no issues...obviously treat it with care....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
03-14-2017, 23:18
. Is there much abrasion with 10D or chance of cutting it?

We must sleep differently.

I lay in one spot, quilt over me gently, on a pad with groundsheet
Not on top of it on rocks
No swords or bowie knives, or broken glass

Describe your sleep activities.....

In all seriousness, if you wrap up in it by campfire, walk to privy thru bushes wrapped in it, etc you might end up damaging it. More likely is mr. or mrs. mouse nibbles a hole while you sleep, and borrows a little for a nest.

wiiawiwb
03-15-2017, 07:54
I've dragged dirt into the lean-to or tent, that has gotten on (or in) my sleeping bag, and that can grind away at the material. Does that happen every time I'm out? No. Does it happen (with me)? Yes. Things happen in the great outdoors.

Maybe you are meticulous every time you handle your gear. I'm not, so I'm curious about the 10D material.

wiiawiwb
03-15-2017, 08:09
I believe that Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering both use 20D with their regular bags and 10D and 12D in their ultralight series. Brooks and Katabatic both generally use 15D. There is a trade off between the 10D and 20D. The 20D will repel moisture somewhat better. I am curious what the trade off is as far as damaging the bag from unintended consequences.

saltysack
03-15-2017, 08:48
I've had 2 10d EE quilts no issues if care is taken as with any ul gear

cmoulder
03-15-2017, 10:05
I've had 2 10d EE quilts no issues if care is taken as with any ul gear

Same here... I have 4 in fact, and I had a 20D Prodigy (now called Revelation APEX) and the exact same one (Prodigy reg/reg) with 10D, and the 20D was about 5-6 oz heavier, did not compress as well as the 10D and took longer to dry. 10D has been plenty durable for me, and I often camp with my dog and he lies on them and worms his way under my quilt when it's cold.

mattjv89
03-15-2017, 10:40
I went with the 20D on my new Revelation, I'll have to let you know what I think in about seven months. I figured for a whopping two ounces I'll take the increased durability.

Hikingjim
03-15-2017, 10:49
Haven't had issue with my 10D. Seen some thru-hikers with a few tears/patches though. Mostly from shelter snags, etc
Sleeping in a tent, you'd be less likely to snag it.

Not sure how much 20d would have saved those little tears anyway.

capehiker
03-15-2017, 11:40
Tim from EE has stated that unless you're sleeping in very wet climate where your bag has the realistic possibility of getting damp from other than condensation, there is no need to get the 20D. The 20D will also inhibit breathability compared to the 10D. In short, no need to get the 20D.