PDA

View Full Version : Down jacket losing its down fibers

NimbleNavi
03-14-2017, 19:39
Looks like my light down jacket is losing some small amount of down fibers every now and then.:-?
For instance,when i wear it under a fleece jacket,i can see the down fibers stuck on the inside of the fleece jacket.
Jacket 's fabric is Quantum GL.
It is probably losing the fibers at the seams.
Is this common?
Should i be concerned?

Also,is it bad if i store my down quilt,compressed in stuff sack at home?

Cheyou
03-14-2017, 20:41
Yes free your quilt !!!! y do u put a fleece over a down jacket ? That seems backwards

Venchka
03-14-2017, 20:49
Yes free your quilt !!!! y do u put a fleece over a down jacket ? That seems backwards

Correct and Correct.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
03-14-2017, 20:58
Yea, that's a big problem with down stuff, the feathers tend to migrate out the seams. I've lost whole baffles in sleeping bags that way. Maybe seam seal the stitching?

scrabbler
03-14-2017, 21:31
If you've ever held a really small, tiny, handfull of down, you'd understand that a few feathers here and there are NOTHING. Relax.

Franco
03-14-2017, 21:45
BTW, you can (and should in my opinion) pull those feathers back .
You do it by pinching the area from the other side(not by pushing them back in)

TTT
03-14-2017, 22:27
I tried putting one feather back and it was a wasted weekend. Btw - I have an eiderdown quilt on my bed and my bedroom looks like I keep ducks as a hobby.

Kookork
03-14-2017, 23:27
Most of the escaping things are feathers and not down IMO. It takes a long long time to lose a substantial percentage of down of a jacket. Do not worry.

scrabbler
03-16-2017, 21:22
I tried putting one feather back and it was a wasted weekend. Btw - I have an eiderdown quilt on my bed and my bedroom looks like I keep ducks as a hobby.

You cant "put them back" once out, but if they start to poke through, you can "pull them back" from the other side as mentioned above.

zelph
03-17-2017, 13:11

I think yours was filled with goose/duck feathers :D

Eiderdowns, or eider down quilts, were introduced to Victorian Britain as a marvellously light and warm substitute for heavy woollen blankets - but they didn't do away with all blankets. British beds were still made up with a top sheet, a couple of blankets and then an eiderdown: always an ornamental item, even when covered by a bedspread. The typical eiderdown was covered in satin or floral chintz, and tightly quilted. Despite its name it might well be filled with goose feathers, not real eider down from the eider duck.

http://www.oldandinteresting.com/history-feather-beds.aspx#duvet