PDA

View Full Version : Someone just tried to leave the most insolent comment on my blog...

AlyontheAT2016
03-14-2017, 22:59

I just want to know....

what sort of person does this and why?

For the record, I didn't fail. Sure I didn't hike the whole trail. But I covered over 1,300 miles in less than 4 months, after never having backpacked in my life. My own body did me in. I lost too much weight. It took me 6 months to get over this. In a few years, I'm going to try again, with a better game plan.

I'm sorry if this is silly. It really irks me.

Mods, if this thread is in the wrong place, feel free to move it.

Kookork
03-14-2017, 23:09
Did you feel as a failure? That is all that is important. Not finishing a 2100 mile hike is not a failure. hiking is about what you get out of it.Don't let a few words ruin your joy and accomplishment. there are many crazy and jealous people out there.

Tipi Walter
03-14-2017, 23:12
Is that all the person said, "You failed"???? Did you keep the comment in your blog? If so, is there a link to the blog post with this comment?

You can always delete the idiots. I've been called all sorts of things on Whiteblaze but I keep coming back . . . . my fingers do the Keyboard Trail when my legs aren't hiking etc.

Over the years I've reviewed backpacking blogs and trip reports and add my comments in my trip journals---gives me something to do when holed up in my tent. I may applaud or lambast---but a "you failed" comment needs alot more words to explain his (or her) meaning, at least for your sake.

rocketsocks
03-14-2017, 23:16

Mods, if this thread is in the wrong place, feel free to move it.humor section

Uncle Joe
03-14-2017, 23:17
Truth be known you've probably done a lot more than that commenter has. Delete it and forget it.

rocketsocks
03-14-2017, 23:17
...and with time-outs thread.

TX Aggie
03-14-2017, 23:18
If you really cared what unnamed people thought, would you have started the hike to begin with? I think not.

Don't worry about what other people think. Leave the comment up, let everyone see what a jerk the poster is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlyontheAT2016
03-14-2017, 23:57
I deleted it. They just want attention. It's just frustrating to think that people get a kick out of their own negativity.

Tipi Walter
03-15-2017, 00:01
"You failed" seems pretty tame. You should read some comments on Facebook and YouTube vids.

AlyontheAT2016
03-15-2017, 00:02
"You failed" seems pretty tame. You should read some comments on Facebook and YouTube vids.

Youtube comments are the worst! I don't even get on Facebook anymore :banana

ScareBear
03-15-2017, 04:27
I think I know who this is. Apparently he has learned how to spoof IP addresses.

He's a whackadoodle, for sure. Just ignore him. And don't worry, you won't run into him ever actually hiking...

HYOH. You didn't fail, you just got off the trail. No big deal. And, certainly NOBODY's business except your own. Unless your were sponsored. That's a different story, just sayin...

Rest assured that every mile you hiked on the AT was a mile more than that idiot ever has or ever will do on the AT.

daddytwosticks
03-15-2017, 07:08
Ignore the idiots. You have accomplished much more than other 25 year olds. At this point in my life, the opinions of others just don't matter. :)

Christoph
03-15-2017, 07:36
Never let that get to you. You didn't fail. Made it farther than I did the first time. :)

eabyrd1506
03-15-2017, 08:24
humor section

Comments like that are motivated by the posters own lack of confidence and esteem They try to pull others down to their level. Ignore it and focus on lifting others up

Oh and congratulations on your accomplishment

Odd Man Out
03-15-2017, 09:08
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt

SWODaddy
03-15-2017, 09:08
Did you feel as a failure? That is all that is important. Not finishing a 2100 mile hike is not a failure. hiking is about what you get out of it.Don't let a few words ruin your joy and accomplishment. there are many crazy and jealous people out there.

Huh? Not accomplishing a goal is a failure.

That's ok, though. The only people who never fail are the people who never try. You learn and become a stronger, better person through them, unless you deny they happened.

Tipi Walter
03-15-2017, 09:19
Rest assured that every mile you hiked on the AT was a mile more than that idiot ever has or ever will do on the AT.

In addition, there's nothing stopping you from pulling weekend backpacking trips from here to eternity. The best antidote for online hysteria is getting out under load and breaking a sweat on a tough hill climb and setting up camp.

MuddyWaters
03-15-2017, 09:24
I deleted it. They just want attention. .

As a poster of a public blog, this is different from you how?

You have more in common with poster than you see. A match made in cyberspace. One cannot exist without the other. Your just upset it was nasty. If your gonna put stuff out there for comment...you better have thick skin

Tipi Walter
03-15-2017, 09:28

That's ok, though. The only people who never fail are the people who never try. You learn and become a stronger, better person through them, unless you deny they happened.

Backpacking is a strange endeavor and goal-setting is often futile for good reason. A full life of backpacking includes all sorts of trails and all sorts of geographies. A futile quest is to say "I will start the AT and finish it, by god!!"

A better goal would be to say, "I will try and continue backpacking for the rest of my life and try to get as many bag nights as humanly possible." The AT is just a small fraction of this.

This goal will therefore include AT offs-and-ons, a week in the Wind River district, a hundred weekends thruout the Southeast, 2 weeks in the Bob Marshall etc.

Not accomplishing a backpacking goal is NOT a failure---it's just an opportunity to reassess gear and head out again. TO QUIT BACKPACKING permanently could be considered a failure---at least so assessed by the hard-core backpacking community.

My old mantra is thus: "If you're outside you're a success; If you're indoors you're a failure.":)

TX Aggie
03-15-2017, 09:33

Not only that, but I haven't seen where the OP even stated they had a "goal" in mind. It's quite possible the intent was do do half as far as they went and ended up going farther than planned.

ChuckT
03-15-2017, 10:29
Trolls are everywhere. I have disputed their comments. Never got any satisfaction. Move on?

One Half
03-15-2017, 11:09
I deleted it. They just want attention. It's just frustrating to think that people get a kick out of their own negativity.

It's a reflection on them, not you.

TX Aggie
03-15-2017, 11:17
It's a reflection on them, not you.

Ding ding, winner!

I'll sometimes get trolls like this. I'll generally leave their post up just so friends can see how ignorant others are.

Spirit Walker
03-15-2017, 11:34
I had someone online tell me I should kill myself, as I'd be no loss. No idea who it was or why they hated me that much.

globetruck
03-15-2017, 12:20
If you hike and blog in order to receive external praise, then any negative comments matter.

If you hike for personal reasons, then it doesn't matter what anyone has to say.

lyagooshka
03-15-2017, 12:26
Personal rule of thumb about posting to any blog/forum/whatever.
If you aren't prepared to get some nasty replies, don't post.
I've seen people talking about losing a family member, and there are always a few 'people' who post junk like "good" or "it's your fault".
There will always be idiots like that.
So if you have the time, toy with them.
It's fun.
Otherwise, ignore them.
Worst thing to do is pay attention to them.
They feed on that.
And that includes "thumbs down" stuff too.
These morons lose their minds if they get zero comments and zero thumbs up/down.
IMHO.

dudeijuststarted
03-15-2017, 12:34
Like every other hobby, interest, or discipline on the internet, everyone with 30 seconds is now an instant expert. You didn't fail anything, and for the record, whether you complete the entire AT or not, you're never finished, that's why we all keep going back. There's always more to explore.

People are pathetic. Thank Bill Bryson for their ignorance. Congrats on your mileage, good work.

Dogwood
03-15-2017, 12:36
Do you really give that much wt to all the comments on the net? What you believe about yourself is much more important than what others may say.

rocketsocks
03-15-2017, 12:38
Comments like that are motivated by the posters own lack of confidence and esteem They try to pull others down to their level. Ignore it and focus on lifting others up

Oh and congratulations on your accomplishment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkoh boo hoo, someone insulted me on the internet, the noive! :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
03-15-2017, 12:45
it's just typin'....

Rain Man
03-15-2017, 12:48
I had someone online tell me I should kill myself, as I'd be no loss. ...

Believe it or not, the FBI told Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., that very thing, too.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Perhaps the best post in this thread, IMHO.

Lnj
03-15-2017, 12:54
it's just typin'....

EXACTLY!! This world has gone cyber nuts and social media has allowed and cultivated an unintentional cowardice in all who partake. Myself included, though WB and Pinterest are the only 2 sites I ever look at or contribute to. Still, I say things on WB that if I met you in person, I would never say. Not to say its negative at all, but it takes zero guts to type words on a screen. It takes much more to look into the face and eyes of a person and say even really nice things sometimes, much less negative things.

Leave it to Grandpa LW to wrap it all up in under 5 words. "It's just typin." I know he doesn't look like him (because I have heard otherwise, though never met him), but he reminds me of Gibbs on NCIS.

la.lindsey
03-15-2017, 12:58
Alternatively- you set a goal, you didn't meet it. Acknowledge that, learn some lessons, and move on.

If you're blogging (and I do write about my section hikes, AND about when I fail to meet goals), then acknowledging failure is important too. There's nothing wrong with it. Set a new goal and move on.

ScareBear
03-15-2017, 13:15
It's her "goal". Whether her achieving it or not is a "failure" is solely up to HER. Is she not allowed to change her goal?

Are goals so constant and immovable that they are carved in stone? If so, I want to see the burning bush too....just sayin...

AlyontheAT2016
03-15-2017, 13:27
I think I know who this is. Apparently he has learned how to spoof IP addresses.

He's a whackadoodle, for sure. Just ignore him. And don't worry, you won't run into him ever actually hiking...

HYOH. You didn't fail, you just got off the trail. No big deal. And, certainly NOBODY's business except your own. Unless your were sponsored. That's a different story, just sayin...

I was not sponsored. I did it all on my own dime, and plan to again!

TX Aggie
03-15-2017, 13:28
it's just typin'....

Lol, best response ever!

AlyontheAT2016
03-15-2017, 13:31
Eleanor Roosevelt

One of my favorite quotes!

I made this thread because I received that comment out of the blue, and a few others later that were even worse. I just wanted to get people's thoughts. Thanks everybody!

BuckeyeBill
03-15-2017, 15:01
I personally feel that social media has "made experts" out of people who don't know jack. You have accomplished more than the tens of thousand of people who jumped off at Neel's gap. If these people are not paying rent to be inside your head, kick them to the curb as Dr. Phil would say. Best of luck in your future endeavors. HYOH STR.

cmoulder
03-15-2017, 18:03
What do you care what some 35 yo loser living in his parents' basement says?

Simply delete it and move on... starting a thread about it on WB, featuring a screenshot, only fuels these lowlifes. Trolls feed off the reaction. Next time don't even mention it, yet alone start a thread about it.

Wooobie
03-15-2017, 18:22
Insolent because he is speaking the truth? That is if your goal was to complete the AT. Nothing wrong with failing, dont be afraid to embrace it. Its quitting that is not okay.

MuddyWaters
03-15-2017, 18:32
The only way to fail is to quit trying

Deciding you dont want to do something anymore, is also not failing. Unless you set out to do something you dont enjoy in the first place. Things change sometimes, whats stupid, is thinking your not allowed to.

4shot
03-15-2017, 19:00
People are pathetic. Thank Bill Bryson for their ignorance. Congrats on your mileage, good work.

I am old enough to understand that people's ignorance predates even Mr. Bryson. Read the Greek tragedies or Shakespeare or the Old Testament. People have been ignorant for a long, long time. I think the only thing that changes is the technology and the gadgets.

Violent Green
03-15-2017, 22:21
Insolent because he is speaking the truth? That is if your goal was to complete the AT.

Yes. You can tell the truth and still be a d*ck, which was obviously the person's intention.

Alligator
03-15-2017, 23:20
Please dont drag troll behavior from your blog to here. If you would like to discuss this behavior, you should host it. Im not being unsympathetic but you have deleted it on your blog, don't make it our headache to deal with.

Thank you.