PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Virginia

PinkDragon
03-15-2017, 00:25
Hello,
I would like to do a 5 day hike in Virginia with my wife and daughter the first week of October. What is a great place to start if we would like to include the Grayson Highlands? I figure we can make 10-12 miles a day since it will be my daughters first extended trip. Any advice on weather, places can't miss etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Slo-go'en
03-15-2017, 00:38
Damascus to Marion (Mount Rodgers Visitor center) 62 miles would be possible.

johnnybgood
03-15-2017, 10:42
Have you researched the threads related to the Grayson Highlands in this forum ? I say that since I see this is your first post. If you have then you will be better prepared to enjoy this multi-day section hike where mild October days will see chilly nights in the 40's. Be prepared for wind on the open balds too.
I too would first do a 1-2 night shakedown hike with your daughter to evaluate her desire to backpack the great outdoors sans amenities of home.

bigcranky
03-15-2017, 12:56
It's ~65 miles from the Mt Rogers HQ to Damascus. This makes a 5 day hike at 13mpd, which might be a bit of a stretch. There are a couple of spots to start that would reduce mileage, one good option would be Dickey Gap on US 16 where the side road to Hurricane Campground is. That's around 55 miles. Starting at Fox Creek at VA 603 is about 42 miles. The "high country" stretch with open balds and wild ponies is only about 15 miles long, and if it were me I would slow down and savor that. :)

If you start at Dickey Gap, it's 10 miles to Old Orchard shelter, with some nice campsites and water. Then ten more miles gets you just past Rhododendron Gap, where you'll find many excellent campsites before the Thomas Knob Shelter (there's no camping at the shelter). Day three is a ~14 mile day to Lost Mountain, again with a shelter, spring, and excellent campsites. For the final night I would walk past Saunders Shelter and come all the way down to the VA Creeper Trail -- there are some nice spots to camp near the creek. Then you have the final 10 or so miles into Damascus.

Have fun!

Rmcpeak
03-15-2017, 13:00
Yup, Damascus north as far as you can go in time allotted: http://hikingbob.blogspot.com/2016/07/damascus-to-woods-hole.html

Tuckahoe
03-15-2017, 14:00
Personally I would hike south to Damascus, and do that while turning off the AT and onto the Creeper Trail when they intersect.

Pastor Bryon
03-15-2017, 14:04
My daughter (13) and I are doing this same stretch this summer. She and I have done several multi day hikes and found that 7-9 miles a day is about right for her depending on uphills vs. downhills. I would concur with the need to do some 2-3 day hikes with your family prior to this one to be sure you can gauge mileage correctly. Pack weight and comfort and shoe comfort will be a big factor, in my experience. Happy hiking!

PinkDragon
03-16-2017, 07:04
Thank you everyone for the help. Alas, I was misinformed on the dates. It's in the beginning of August. We were thinking of starting at Massie Gap and hiking south into Damascus. We have a short hike coming up here in April that is 2 days n Ohio.

bigcranky
03-16-2017, 09:10
Massie Gap to Damascus is a nice hike, about 32 miles. You'll get one nice long stretch of open balds. The only real downside (if you can call it that) is you'll miss about half of the open high country that you would get if you start at Fox Creek, though that hike is ten miles longer.

johnnybgood
03-16-2017, 12:04
It will likely be hot and humid during that first week of August. Did Massie Gap to Damascus last year , hiking the Creeper the last 8 miles or so into town. It was hot and humid under forest canopy.
Bring a hat with a brim and sunblock for the open meadows. Also bring some DEET for the gnats and spray permethrin on your clothes in advance for good measure.
Water was slow to procure at both Thomas Knob and Lost Mountain Shelters.

I second the Fox Creek start if you have the time. This is a beautiful section of the trail so do take it slow and stop and smell the roses.

PinkDragon
03-16-2017, 22:19
Starting at Fox Creek does sound great. We might just add 1 more day for 6 total days hiking. Doing around 7 miles a day would give us a chance to go slower and take it all in. Anything we need to know about camping and water?

bigcranky
03-17-2017, 08:07
Starting at Fox Creek does sound great. We might just add 1 more day for 6 total days hiking. Doing around 7 miles a day would give us a chance to go slower and take it all in. Anything we need to know about camping and water?

Plenty of places to camp. Depending on when you go water is either no problem at all, or you need to pay attention to it. PM me for detailed camping recs when you get closer to the hike.

PinkDragon
03-17-2017, 09:51
Plenty of places to camp. Depending on when you go water is either no problem at all, or you need to pay attention to it. PM me for detailed camping recs when you get closer to the hike.

Thank you! I will make sure to do so once we finalize an "itinerary"