PDA

View Full Version : Hard Shell Recommendations

dcdennis
03-15-2017, 09:27
The situation: I'm heading out for an overnight this weekend in Shenandoah and it's supposed to be chilly but also snow. Usually I wear a puffy as my outer layer but not safe to do that in the snow. So I am in need of hardshell recommendations that I can have in my hand by Friday. I live in walking distance of an REI and I have Amazon prime so those are my two options.

Does not need to be a long term solution so cheap is ok. Just need to survive the weekend :)

ScareBear
03-15-2017, 09:45
The situation: I'm heading out for an overnight this weekend in Shenandoah and it's supposed to be chilly but also snow. Usually I wear a puffy as my outer layer but not safe to do that in the snow. So I am in need of hardshell recommendations that I can have in my hand by Friday. I live in walking distance of an REI and I have Amazon prime so those are my two options.

Does not need to be a long term solution so cheap is ok. Just need to survive the weekend :)

Cheap and hardshell...well, it IS the end of the season...

I prefer Mountain Hardwear hardshells with DryQElite. I got my last two on Sierra Trading Post dot com on sale for under $150 each. If you just want cheap coverage, the Marmot PreCip would work just fine...REI should have it...

Tipi Walter
03-15-2017, 11:25
Whatever you do, don't look at Arcteryx! My awesome, fabulous, saliva-coated-cuz-I-drool-on-it rain shell put me back several hundred dollars - - -

10-K
03-15-2017, 12:30
Another vote for Mountain Hardware. I think every hiker in the world starts out with a Marmot Precip though. :)

bigcranky
03-15-2017, 12:39
Marmot Precip is definitely common out there, lots to like about that shell in terms of features and cost. Not the most breathable. Easy to find.

devoidapop
03-15-2017, 13:04
I got a precip recently from rei garage. I think it's a good rain jacket, especially for the price. The pit zips are a big plus. One of the shock cords in the hood snapped from a wind gust though. Not sure if that was a freak occurrence or a design flaw.

saltysack
03-15-2017, 17:47
OR Helium 2 over Houdini has worked well for me in cold precipitation....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miles 2 Go
03-15-2017, 19:18
Frogg Toggs have worked well for me, and are not expensive.

Bansko
03-15-2017, 22:09
I'd get Frog Toggs over A Marmot Precip. I started the AT with a new Precip. By the time I was halfway through the DWR finish was wetting out and there were multiple areas where the inner laminate had peeled/flaked away. I patched those with silicone and limped the thing along to Katahdin. I then dumped it in the trash at the nearest opportunity.