PDA

View Full Version : Route 60 and 501 parking area

arzee
03-15-2017, 11:01
Would like to say thanks to all who use and post on this forum. Though i may not post a lot, I do check up and read many of the threads when i have the time to "Day Dream" of the Trail.

My questions are to both locals and non locals in regards to the Parking at the Route 60 parking area and the parking area by the footbridges.I am planning a 5 day hike with a few friends during the 2nd or 3rd week of April from the Priest to the James River footbridge. Is it okay to park for the 5 days at those locations, and are they safe? Would you have a better location other than the Route 60 for parking (the car at the route 60 is in case we need to stop hiking due to one of us just not being able to continue and for emergency if needed).

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

johnnybgood
03-15-2017, 12:48
The Rt.60 location has more traffic . I have left a car there for 3 days without incident.
The JR Footbridge location at 501 sees adventure seekers from all over, hikers & kayakers alike and is probably a more suspect location, but I personally have no knowledge of vandalism or break- ins.

Send Deer Hunter, a member here a pm . He is a local who would know best.

arzee
03-15-2017, 13:02
Thanks, I'll do that.

Pastor Bryon
03-15-2017, 14:07
No recent reports of vandalism at either. Rte. 60 parking is more limited, but still ample room. I've got space here in BV (10 minutes from wayside) that you could park your car if you want, but I think you would be fine.

cecenj
03-15-2017, 23:18
Here's a great site (Appalachian Train Conservancy) for parking. You can check and see if that area is discussed:

http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org