PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite?

DanTaylor
03-15-2017, 15:41
What's your favorite warm weather hiking pants?

Running shorts, cargo shorts, zip-off, long pants, etc.

devoidapop
03-15-2017, 15:48
Hawk poly-blend skate shorts. no useless cargo pockets and they dry really quick.

Rmcpeak
03-15-2017, 16:06
Patagonia 9 Trails shorts. Worth every penny to me. Zero chafe or monkey-ass since I went to them 700 miles ago. I die in any type of pants. Shorts for me, down even down to really cold.

la.lindsey
03-15-2017, 16:24
This may out me as THE most ridiculous white girl, but I love hiking in lulu lemon shorts. I used to hike in Nike shorts, but I switched and found that lulu has a much more comfortable waist band, dries faster, and doesn't ride up as much as Nike.

My pair has a tiny zipper on the side instead of the back, and it's handy for chapstick in the winter. I've also found lulu tends to not hold smells as much as other clothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigcranky
03-15-2017, 16:28
Marmot nylon hiking shorts. Bought a pair at Mast General, hiked a long weekend, went back and bought a second pair - both at full price (and I am generally a notorious cheapskate when it comes to gear).

Wooobie
03-15-2017, 16:38
Running shorts, preferably female running shorts. 2.5 inch inseam.

Tipi Walter
03-15-2017, 16:40
To paraphrase LW: It's just shorts.

Lnj
03-15-2017, 16:50
to paraphrase lw: It's just shorts.

lol!!!!!!!!!

bigcranky
03-15-2017, 16:51
To paraphrase LW: It's just shorts.

I dunno, I've tried a lot of different shorts, and they aren't all the same.

Rmcpeak
03-15-2017, 16:52
Second most important piece of gear, IMHO, after shoes. Especially if yer doing high miles.

rocketsocks
03-15-2017, 17:11
I pretty much live in zip-offs from April to Oct.

map man
03-15-2017, 17:32
I wear Columbia-brand nylon fishing pants with built-in underwear similar to these:

http://www.columbia.com/mens-backcast-convertible-pant-1543971.html

I wear long pants hiking year round as part of my anti-tick strategy. The one drawback to these particular pants is that they are not as durable as I would like.

Tipi Walter
03-15-2017, 17:35
I dunno, I've tried a lot of different shorts, and they aren't all the same.

You're right, but I was channeling LW and didn't want to get too involved like Dogwood.

capehiker
03-15-2017, 18:21
I really enjoy the Columbia Omni Shade 50 SPF convertible pants. They are light, dry quickly and feel nice and smooth against the legs. I like the way they shorts are cut as they do not irritate the back of my knees like other convertible pants have in the past.

Hangfire
03-15-2017, 18:56
I wear Columbia-brand nylon fishing pants with built-in underwear similar to these:

http://www.columbia.com/mens-backcast-convertible-pant-1543971.html

I wear long pants hiking year round as part of my anti-tick strategy. The one drawback to these particular pants is that they are not as durable as I would like.
I wore fishing pants for most of my thru hike as well, did great keeping the ticks off of me though they really weren't designed for hiking. Light weight offshore fishing pants, perfect for fishing tuna, dorado, marlin, and...hiking the Appalachian Trail:-)

fastfoxengineering
03-15-2017, 19:14
I met a sobo in Vermont who was deffinetly moving fast. Seemed like a strong hiker.

But the fact that he hiked in exofficio give n go boxer briefs made me uncomfortable.

How can we have a normal conversation when your standing there in your underwear.

A pair of running shorts weighs nothing.. especially when wearing them and you know.. people don't think your a weirdo

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
03-15-2017, 20:48
I like shorts on at cause its humid and shady mostly
I like long ventillated pants out west where its non humid and sun in treeless zones will burn you up.

When wearing shorts, Ive hiked in ranger panties, nylon cargo, and just my compression undies. I like pockets on nylon cargo shorts. I prefer camera and map/profile and tp and credit card/id on me in pockets. Anything will do for me. A few like swimsuits because they can be had with pockets, and have the mesh liner

Dogwood
03-15-2017, 21:10
If I can find them Go Lite or New Balance 5" inseam running shorts about 3.6 oz in the large w/ a deep hand pocket one each side and crepe brief and micro drawstring.

Dogwood
03-15-2017, 21:12
You know for the light and fast crowd - the REAL hikers - instead of for the slow, short winded, and massively laden down with crap crowd.

TX Aggie
03-15-2017, 21:19
Kilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Malto
03-15-2017, 21:22
You know for the light and fast crowd - the REAL hikers - instead of for the slow, short winded, and massively laden down with crap crowd.

Yup running shorts for me, running tights under in colder weather. Studies have shown that shorts allow you to go .15mph faster than the massively laden down pants wearers, .29mph faster than the snail pace zip offers. That really allows you to channel your inner skurka and go zipping through all the cool scenery.

i did wear very light weight Sahara non convertible pants in the desert.

Dogwood
03-15-2017, 21:26
Ave Skurka. What a real hiker. Solid reviews based on actual experience too.

map man
03-16-2017, 19:37
Studies have shown that shorts allow you to go .15mph faster than the massively laden down pants wearers, .29mph faster than the snail pace zip offers.

I got a good chuckle out of this, Malto. The numbers nerd (me) is hoisted with his own petard!;)

Feral Bill
03-16-2017, 20:01
basic nylon shorts (currently REI Sahara) without briefs liner.

RangerZ
03-16-2017, 20:06
I got a good chuckle out of this, Malto. The numbers nerd (me) is hoisted with his own petard!;)

If I may, I've admired and planned from your numbers, nerd.

AtWokman
03-16-2017, 20:24
tights. only tights. thin .dry fast. pretty safe from ticks.
and man they make my legs look sexy

left52side
03-16-2017, 20:45
I wear A 5 inch running shorts most of the time ,even when it is colder out I wear them over my leggings.
I actually picked up 6 pairs of new balance 5 inch shorts recently on A great deal so think I am good to go for awhile lol.

Berserker
03-17-2017, 12:49
Under Armour running shorts with the mesh insert.

Pinetree
03-17-2017, 17:52
Skins and 2XU compression shorts, nothing else needed!

AfterParty
03-17-2017, 21:18
Rei zip offs are some of the best for cold weather or wind. I wear them everyday year round working outside they last about 4-5 years and then your wallet will wear a hole or the wallet pocket will fail. I have about 7 pairs. And just tossed my oldest pair yesterday for this exact reason. But I highly recommend them. Personally over Columbia or north face in a similar style. I have tried a lot of this style of pants and am by far the happiest with rei.