PDA

View Full Version : What are your top three animals you hope to see sometimes in the future?

Kookork
03-15-2017, 18:44
For me :
1-Wolverine : They are pound for pound the bravest and strongest animals.
2-Marco polo sheep: The most elegant wild sheep in the world and as rare as it gets.
3-Polar bear: love to see one before it is too late.

Malto
03-15-2017, 18:56
I hit many of the normal ones on my last trip to Wyoming, grizzly, moose, bison. That leaves a few:
1) Bigfoot.
2) agree on Wolverine, that would be cool (not as cool as bigfoot.)
3) big horn sheep, haven't check that one off yet.

devoidapop
03-15-2017, 18:58
Atlantic sturgeon, wild red wolves, and any of the big cats

Kookork
03-15-2017, 19:23
I hit many of the normal ones on my last trip to Wyoming, grizzly, moose, bison. That leaves a few:
1) Bigfoot.
2) agree on Wolverine, that would be cool (not as cool as bigfoot.)
3) big horn sheep, haven't check that one off yet.

I guess you have been close to bighorns while hiking without seeing them. Doesn't Sierra have bighorn?
Now imagine a sheep with 6.2 feet long horn and one extra circle(trun) on horn compared to bighorn and you have Marco Polo Sheep.

AfterParty
03-15-2017, 19:32
Bull elk. Tropical birds. Dik dik

saltysack
03-15-2017, 20:00
1-Big cat
2-Grizzly
3-Wolf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX Aggie
03-15-2017, 20:05
Bald Eagle
Chipmunks
Armadillos

Anything else, and I'm fine with seeing them in Nat Geo.

Ok, seriously:
Timber Wolf (one, not a whole pack)
Cougar/Puma/Mountain Lion
Moose or Elk

Feral Bill
03-15-2017, 20:18
Lynx, flying squirrel, blue whale

coach lou
03-15-2017, 20:34
Cat
Wolf
Bull Trout...........:D

rocketsocks
03-15-2017, 20:41
Bear
Rattler
Dodoh bird

Lone Wolf
03-15-2017, 20:57
kittens, puppies, ducklings

Dogwood
03-15-2017, 20:58
In the wild:

African lion pride on the hunt.
Polar Bear snagging a seal at a breather hole in the ice.
Tiger
Mountain Gorilla - going fast
Egyptian Cobra
Lemur - many endangered
Orangutan - soon to only be seen in sanctuaries or for human amusement in zoos
Venomous snakes of Australia - Death Adder, Eastern Brown, Taipan, Tiger, bunch of sea snakes
Blue Krait - a sea snake from Indonesia
Javan(declared extinct) or Black Rhino(CRITICALLY Endangered)
Gliding Flying Squirrel
African Elephant herd - going fast and highly threatened
Scarlet Macaws

garlic08
03-15-2017, 21:34
Lynx, flying squirrel, blue whale

I actually saw my first flying squirrel in Mt Assiniboine PP on a snowy morning last fall. Funny thing is, I saw a moose an hour earlier.

I tried to get out to the Galapagos a couple of decades ago, but political unrest in Ecuador made the travel impossible. I would someday love to see the endemic species out there.

imscotty
03-15-2017, 22:28
Great question KooKork, but impossible to narrow down to just three. So let me just name three that I have been actively seeking, but have yet to see...

Sperm Whale
Great White Shark
Mountain Lion or jaguar

imscotty
03-15-2017, 22:51
And if I may hijack your tread a bit KooKirk, I think it would also be interesting to have people list their favorite wildlife encounters that they have actually experienced.

Mine would be...

Resplendent Quetzal
A Fer-de-lance who would not give me the path
Young Whale Shark
Seeing about 10% of the entire population of the North Atlantic Right Whale at once (over 30 whales)
American Pika (I love those guys)
Jabiru Stork
Harlequin Beetle
Ptarmigam

Feral Bill
03-15-2017, 23:01
And if I may hijack your tread a bit KooKirk, I think it would also be interesting to have people list their favorite wildlife encounters that they have actually experienced.

Mine would be...

Resplendent Quetzal
Young Whale Shark
Seeing about 10% of the entire population of the North Atlantic Right Whale at once (over 30 whales)
Jabiru Stork
Harlequin Beetle
Ptarmigam On this list, cougar, wolverine. wolf

Kookork
03-15-2017, 23:02

Mine would be...

Resplendent Quetzal
Young Whale Shark
Jabiru Stork
Harlequin Beetle
Ptarmigam
Your list made me jealous.
When I was in Iran I used to brag about seeing a bear there but when I moved to Canada found out it is better to shut up about it. My special moment in Iran was when I saw a Leopard in mountain when we were hunting a wild Ram. Canadian proud moment for me was catching a glimpse of a flying squirrel. they are not uncommon in rural areas but they are very elusive. It was two seconds of sheer joy to see it flew over my head.

Timo
03-15-2017, 23:03
i would like to see a honey badger and a scarebear get into a fight. it does not matter that the fat bear weighs many more pounds. i think the honey badger would win.

gpburdelljr
03-16-2017, 00:24
Several people have mentioned flying squirrels. They are rarely seen because they are nocturnal, and rarely out during the day. I saw some that had nested in a bluebird house.

imscotty
03-16-2017, 00:25
Your list made me jealous.
When I was in Iran I used to brag about seeing a bear there but when I moved to Canada found out it is better to shut up about it. My special moment in Iran was when I saw a Leopard in mountain when we were hunting a wild Ram. Canadian proud moment for me was catching a glimpse of a flying squirrel. they are not uncommon in rural areas but they are very elusive. It was two seconds of sheer joy to see it flew over my head.

I am jealous of your leopard sighting. What a great treat that must have been. A few years ago I had a flying squirrel family take up residence in a wall in my house. That was not fun, I would have been happy to ship them to you. They are not that uncommon around me, just hard to detect. When I see them is usually just after dusk. When I walk down my dirt road I will get short glimpses of them gliding from one side of the road to the other.

illabelle
03-16-2017, 06:24
Back in the summer of 1994 my cat brought me what I thought was a young chipmunk or squirrel - surprisingly uninjured so far as we could tell. We put it in a cage with some food, expecting that it would die. Soon discovered that it was a flying squirrel. We kept it for a few days to recover from the trauma of being captured by the cat, then released on a mountain in a nearby state park. It's the only one I've ever seen.

Other creature encounters:
We were camped right beside the trail in the HMW last fall. Heard some breathing, grabbed the camera, unzipped the tent. 30 feet away - Moose! Footprints on the trail showed he'd been much closer.

Took off my shoes at one of the GSM shelters. Was standing in the sun enjoying the weather and a little grass under my feet. Was surprised by rattlesnake right in front of me. It touched my foot!

imscotty
03-16-2017, 07:24
"Took off my shoes at one of the GSM shelters. Was standing in the sun enjoying the weather and a little grass under my feet. Was surprised by rattlesnake right in front of me. It touched my foot!"

Touched by a rattlesnake, you are lucky indeed Illabelle. Somehow I am envisioning the "Little Prince" here...

“Whomever I touch, I send back to the earth from whence they came,” the snake spoke again. “But you are innocent and true, and you come from a star…”

devoidapop
03-16-2017, 07:30

Mine would be...

Resplendent Quetzal
Young Whale Shark
Jabiru Stork
Harlequin Beetle
Ptarmigam

I miss seeing beaver. I grew up fishing and playing in the creeks of southern maryland. We used to see them all the time. Land development really hurt that population.

Still lots of heron and bald eagles to be seen there and that's always cool.

GoldenBear
03-16-2017, 07:34
I presume you mean, "In the wild"

Wolf
Mountain lion (but not TOO close!)
Any major animal of the African savannah

ScareBear
03-16-2017, 08:01
i would like to see a honey badger and a scarebear get into a fight. it does not matter that the fat bear weighs many more pounds. i think the honey badger would win.

Fat? You've met me? I think not...

Dude, I've seen your video. Thunder thighs should be your trail name...

Tipi Walter
03-16-2017, 08:19
My long-time dream is to be living outdoors in the next North American ice age and seeing a woolly mammoth in the snow. Until then . . . I wait.

imscotty
03-16-2017, 08:27
My long-time dream is to be living outdoors in the next North American ice age and seeing a woolly mammoth in the snow. Until then . . . I wait.

There are stories from deep within the South American rainforest that the Giant Sloth still exists. I want to be the guy who finds one :)

Traillium
03-16-2017, 09:18
I'd also put a wolverine on my wishlist. I'd love to see a cougar in my southern part of Ontario.
A Wooly Mammoth or a Mastodon would be incredible. A scant 11,000 years ago they lived in my area. I swear I can still feel them in the periglacial hills and ponds near my home. I'd also love to happen upon a wandering band of the first humans to live here after the last retreat of the glaciers. They'd have been hunting those great elephantine beasts!

Francis Sawyer
03-16-2017, 09:23
Kate Upton,Jennifer Anniston, Gisele Bundchen

illabelle
03-16-2017, 09:48
"Took off my shoes at one of the GSM shelters. Was standing in the sun enjoying the weather and a little grass under my feet. Was surprised by rattlesnake right in front of me. It touched my foot!"

Touched by a rattlesnake, you are lucky indeed Illabelle. Somehow I am envisioning the "Little Prince" here...

“Whomever I touch, I send back to the earth from whence they came,” the snake spoke again. “But you are innocent and true, and you come from a star…”

I'm not familiar with the reference ... but I feel more special. :D

DuneElliot
03-16-2017, 10:00
US Animals that I haven't seen in the wild but would like to (tough to pick three): Cougar, Wolf, Grizzly, Wolverine, Caribou, Musk Ox, river and sea otters, lynx

US Animals I've had the pleasure of seeing: Black bear, moose (cow and bull), elk (cow and bull), white tail and mule deer (doe and buck), beaver, pine martin, ermine (weasel), badger, bald and golden eagles, pika, marmot, rainbow/cutthroat/brown/brook trout, fox, raccoon, skunk...and something the size of a badger that wasn't a badger (I've no idea what it actually was)

Non-US Animals I've seen: English badger, fox, red deer, fallow deer

Non-US Animals I want to see: Any of the big cat species, Harpy eagle

gpburdelljr
03-16-2017, 11:02

You may not have to wait for the next ice age.

http://www.livescience.com/51424-woolly-mammoth-genome-sequenced.html

saltysack
03-16-2017, 11:22
Kate Upton,Jennifer Anniston, Gisele Bundchen

[emoji106]

Tipi Walter
03-16-2017, 12:25
You may not have to wait for the next ice age.

http://www.livescience.com/51424-woolly-mammoth-genome-sequenced.html

Thanks for the link; something to copy and read on my next trip. I got tired of waiting to see my own special woolly mammoth so I took a close look at the coat of my pet mammoth (the mighty Shunka dog) and could discern no difference between his fur and mammoth fur---

Once he grew Tusks I had my own pygmy woolly mammoth!!!

burger
03-16-2017, 12:46
A Wooly Mammoth or a Mastodon would be incredible. A scant 11,000 years ago they lived in my area. I swear I can still feel them in the periglacial hills and ponds near my home. I'd also love to happen upon a wandering band of the first humans to live here after the last retreat of the glaciers. They'd have been hunting those great elephantine beasts!

In a similar vein: passenger pigeon, Carolina parakeet, ivory-billed woodpecker.

Born in the wrong damned century.

full conditions
03-16-2017, 12:50
I got to see one of my big three last summer in the Whites - we had a Fisher Cat come slinking past our tent as we were camped at the edge of the Pemi. Also got a Northern Goshawk soaring over the Great Gulf Wilderness a few days later along with a small flock of boreal chickadees at Galehead Hut during the same hike. Besides the Fisher Cat, my other two mammals (for the AT) would be the Pine Martin (northern Maine) and Canada Lynx.

Venchka
03-16-2017, 14:27
Wolverine
Wolf
Grizz
I would be happy with the easy critters. Marmots, badgers, moose, coyotes, elk, etc.
Wayne

evyck da fleet
03-16-2017, 15:31
So far this year I've seen a yellow eyed penguin, platypus, wallaby, wombat, pademelon, water dragon and I would have been fine without seeing a tiger snake

Venchka
03-16-2017, 15:32
So far this year I've seen a yellow eyed penguin, platypus, wallaby, wombat, pademelon, water dragon and I would have been fine without seeing a tiger snake

You're in the other hemisphere. Lol.
Wayne

saltysack
03-16-2017, 17:44
With the way things are looking for any critical, threatened or endangered species you better hike often and fast!! Washington needs a good natural disaster! I'm not into politics but the arsehole in charge not helping the natural world........

Lnj
03-16-2017, 17:46
I am jealous of your leopard sighting. What a great treat that must have been. A few years ago I had a flying squirrel family take up residence in a wall in my house. That was not fun, I would have been happy to ship them to you. They are not that uncommon around me, just hard to detect. When I see them is usually just after dusk. When I walk down my dirt road I will get short glimpses of them gliding from one side of the road to the other.

I actually have 2 Australian flying squirrels, also known as sugar gliders, or sugar bears, for pets at home. Very soft, sweet little girls. Pretty awesome.

Kookork
03-16-2017, 17:52
I actually have 2 Australian flying squirrels, also known as sugar gliders, or sugar bears, for pets at home. Very soft, sweet little girls. Pretty awesome.

Wow, What an interesting pet to keep. Do they fly when in home?

ImAfraidOfBears
03-16-2017, 17:52
1. Not bears
2. Not bears
3. Not bears

Lnj
03-16-2017, 17:56
Wow, What an interesting pet to keep. Do they fly when in home?

No. They stay in a huge cage and they fly in there. When we get them out to play they just run all over our bodies and jump into our pockets. They are also nicknamed "pocket pets". They will hang out in a comfy pocket all day. They mostly like to just snuggle and sleep if we mess with them during the day, which is rare. When the sun goes down we get them out for a bit.

Deadeye
03-16-2017, 20:32
1. Not bears
2. Not bears
3. Not bears

winner, winner, chicken dinner!

left52side
03-16-2017, 20:43
Moose
Manatee
Skunk Ape

rocketsocks
03-16-2017, 20:49
1. Not bears
2. Not bears
3. Not bears
I could just hear you late at night in your tent when a twig breaks

Please don't be a bear
please don't be a bear
please don't be a bear
:D

Kaptainkriz
03-16-2017, 20:52
Big Cat
Male Moose
Yeti

nsherry61
03-16-2017, 20:56
Hmm. In the wild . . .

I'd love to see a Dodo or a Great Auk or better yet, an Elephant Bird or a Tasmanian Wolf, or a Giant Ground Sloth.

I'd also like to see a wolverine somewhat closer than the one I saw at a distance in Denali years ago. Awesome, even at a distance.

I've never seen a flying squirrel, I think that would be one of my top wishes. If only they'd fly during the day when I could see them. I've had them fly around me where friends spotted them on a couple occasions, but I never saw them.

Narwhal would be cool, as would a Great White Shark or a Blue Whale.

Oops, that's more than three.

rocketsocks
03-16-2017, 21:46
BIGFOOT

boom, dar'e it is!

Bansko
03-16-2017, 22:27

I have a confession to make. We had a seasonal cabin growing up and every spring for a few years my brother and I would have the rid the thing of flying squirrels that nested inside the walls and ceiling, making a mess and slowly destroying the place. We'd pound on the outside walls until the flying squirrels would appear and then we'd kill them with a pellet gun. Some would glide away before we shot them, but we'd continue for several days until they were all dead or gone. They're cute until they repeatedly s**t and piss in your dwelling.

Traillium
03-16-2017, 23:27
With the way things are looking for any critical, threatened or endangered species you better hike often and fast!! Washington needs a good natural disaster! I'm not into politics but the arsehole in charge not helping the natural world........

This Canuck wonders if perhaps you should come up here to hike — before we build a wall (which you'll pay for) so that we can keep that arsehole out …

imscotty
03-16-2017, 23:29
US Animals that I haven't seen in the wild but would like to (tough to pick three): Cougar, Wolf, Grizzly, Wolverine, Caribou, Musk Ox, river and sea otters, lynx

US Animals I've had the pleasure of seeing: Black bear, moose (cow and bull), elk (cow and bull), white tail and mule deer (doe and buck), beaver, pine martin, ermine (weasel), badger, bald and golden eagles, pika, marmot, rainbow/cutthroat/brown/brook trout, fox, raccoon, skunk...and something the size of a badger that wasn't a badger (I've no idea what it actually was)

Non-US Animals I've seen: English badger, fox, red deer, fallow deer

Non-US Animals I want to see: Any of the big cat species, Harpy eagle

Sea Otter should be pretty easy to check off your list if you ever make it to Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey, CA. That is where I saw mine. Once I stayed at a place in White River Junction VT and the river otters were putting on a show right behind the house. It was Winter time and I watched them for hours as the played on the river bank, sledding down on the snow into the river and then chasing each other up the bank to do it again.

rocketsocks
03-16-2017, 23:35
Sea Otter should be pretty easy to check off your list if you ever make it to Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey, CA. That is where I saw mine. Once I stayed at a place in White River Junction VT and the river otters were putting on a show right behind the house. It was Winter time and I watched them for hours as the played on the river bank, sledding down on the snow into the river and then chasing each other up the bank to do it again.I saw a river otter up at the DWG in NJ, on the Pennsie side by the bridge as it waddled into a hole in the side of the mountain...sadly no picture.

imscotty
03-16-2017, 23:35
I got to see one of my big three last summer in the Whites - we had a Fisher Cat come slinking past our tent as we were camped at the edge of the Pemi. Also got a Northern Goshawk soaring over the Great Gulf Wilderness a few days later along with a small flock of boreal chickadees at Galehead Hut during the same hike. Besides the Fisher Cat, my other two mammals (for the AT) would be the Pine Martin (northern Maine) and Canada Lynx.

I saw my first Pine Martin in the 1970's in Tuckerman's Ravine, Mount Washington, NH. I finally saw my second two years ago on the John Muir Trail.

gpburdelljr
03-17-2017, 01:03
I saw a river otter up at the DWG in NJ, on the Pennsie side by the bridge as it waddled into a hole in the side of the mountain...sadly no picture.

Growing up in Miami,and fishing in the Everglades, the otters would steal your stringer of fish if you didn't keep an eye on them.

DuneElliot
03-17-2017, 10:27
Sea Otter should be pretty easy to check off your list if you ever make it to Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey, CA. That is where I saw mine. Once I stayed at a place in White River Junction VT and the river otters were putting on a show right behind the house. It was Winter time and I watched them for hours as the played on the river bank, sledding down on the snow into the river and then chasing each other up the bank to do it again.

I was actually there about 10 years ago...saw plenty of sea lions and pelicans, but no otters.

I should also add manatee to my list...they look amazing

grubbster
03-17-2017, 10:48
Cougar, gorilla, hellbender.

swisscross
03-17-2017, 11:01
Blue footed booby
platypus
tasmanian tiger

saltysack
03-17-2017, 12:23
I was actually there about 10 years ago...saw plenty of sea lions and pelicans, but no otters.

I should also add manatee to my list...they look amazing

Taste great also....just last week while on a sup expedition race a buddy of mine paddled on top of one and didn't see it until he touched with his fin....ship hit the fan.. the tail literally threw him and his board a few feet in the air...scared the ship out of him...i about wet my pants I laughed so hard! Funny thing is that a similar thing happened with a pod of dolphins in shallow water at 2am...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170317/2936cf0383dc71e88d5225290d735ba1.jpg

Kookork
03-17-2017, 12:34
Marco Polo Sheep

DuneElliot
03-17-2017, 12:46
Taste great also....just last week while on a sup expedition race a buddy of mine paddled on top of one and didn't see it until he touched with his fin....ship hit the fan.. the tail literally threw him and his board a few feet in the air...scared the ship out of him...i about wet my pants I laughed so hard! Funny thing is that a similar thing happened with a pod of dolphins in shallow water at 2am...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170317/2936cf0383dc71e88d5225290d735ba1.jpg

Where in the heck would you taste one at since they are a protected species?

Shutterbug
03-17-2017, 15:53
There is a Jaguar in the Santa Rita mountains of southern Arizona. I hike there often and have never even seen a foot print. I would love to see it.

The "experts" say the ocelot is extinct in southern Arizona, but I saw a large cat that sure looked like one. I would love to get a picture to confirm that I saw what I thought I saw.

I have never seen a wolf in the wild. I would love to see one.

saltysack
03-17-2017, 16:39
Where in the heck would you taste one at since they are a protected species?

Had it with my scrambled bald eagle eggs...........was a joke......fortunately both species have made remarkable comebacks as I see both almost daily.....sadly most do have prop marks across there backs from boats....

English Stu
03-17-2017, 17:19
On my AT trips from the UK I have seen Muskrat, Black bear, Bobcat, Raccoon, White tailed deer, Skunk (dead on a road)

scrabbler
03-17-2017, 17:29
In the wild:
Sloth
Monkey
hippo

DuneElliot
03-17-2017, 18:32
Had it with my scrambled bald eagle eggs...........was a joke......fortunately both species have made remarkable comebacks as I see both almost daily.....sadly most do have prop marks across there backs from boats....

I thought so, but wasn't sure...so had to check. Sometimes you just gotta make sure ;)

TTT
03-17-2017, 19:17
An ambulance with a close encounter with a hippo

saltysack
03-17-2017, 19:33
An ambulance with a close encounter with a hippo

And the hippo walked away......[emoji23]

4shot
03-17-2017, 19:35
There is a Jaguar in the Santa Rita mountains of southern Arizona. I hike there often and have never even seen a foot print. I would love to see it.

The "experts" say the ocelot is extinct in southern Arizona, but I saw a large cat that sure looked like one. I would love to get a picture to confirm that I saw what I thought I saw.

I have never seen a wolf in the wild. I would love to see one.

I saw a panther in a wilderness area where the experts said they have been extinct for over 150 years. went back to the spot where I saw it and began to track it. The soil was quite sandy and tracking was easy. I quit when I realized that the tracking was easy AND that I had visibility of no more than 10 or 15 feet due to the dense foliage in the area. I realized that maybe I didn't really want to find it after all. Fortunately some of these animals continue to exist in spite of the experts. patiently biding their time perhaps?