PDA

View Full Version : Telephoto Lens for iPhone

Steppin'Wolf
03-15-2017, 20:32
Hey all,

I have been on a couple of shakedown hikes and think I about have all my gear set for section hiking the Appalachian Trail. I am not bringing a camera, but am using my iPhone 6s for photos and videos. So far it is working out very well. There are times I would like to have a telephoto lens on it, however.

Have any of you had any experience with one? There are so very many of them on Amazon. Are there any you would recommend?

Thanks.

Traillium
03-16-2017, 09:58
I've wasted money on 3 cheap telephoto lenses for my succession of iPhones. The iPhones are wonderful, and have been my go-to cameras since the iPhone 5.
The telephoto lenses have all been a total waste of money and time. Total. You need a tripod to steady them. Focusing them is very difficult, best done when the screen brightness is turned up to maximum — which wastes battery big-time. The resultant photo is hopelessly 'soft' and unfocused except at best for the central quarter of the image. Totally useless.
Olloclip and Moment make 2x 'telephoto' lenses which are much more usable and useful. Moment lenses are optically better, and can be used on different versions of iPhones because only the attachment doohickey needs updating. Olloclip lenses need to be replaced with each new iPhone size … The 2x 'telephoto' lens quickly became my standard lens, often remaining on my camera most of the time.
I now use an iPhone 7+ with its built-in 2x telephoto lens. It's wonderful!
BTW, the macro lenses of Olloclip and Moment are wonderful!
Also, I use a bulky and cumbersome adapter that holds my iPhone up to binoculars. Works well, but is heavy, bulky, fiddly and requires solid tripod. Never goes with me in my backpack.
Summary: skip the horrible 8x telephoto crap. Go for an expensive but usable Moment 2x lens. And get a macro lens as well.

CHILL_TX
03-18-2017, 19:57
+1 Everything Traillium said.

I've wasted money on 3 cheap telephoto lenses for my succession of iPhones. The iPhones are wonderful, and have been my go-to cameras since the iPhone 5.
The telephoto lenses have all been a total waste of money and time. Total. You need a tripod to steady them. Focusing them is very difficult, best done when the screen brightness is turned up to maximum — which wastes battery big-time. The resultant photo is hopelessly 'soft' and unfocused except at best for the central quarter of the image. Totally useless.
Olloclip and Moment make 2x 'telephoto' lenses which are much more usable and useful. Moment lenses are optically better, and can be used on different versions of iPhones because only the attachment doohickey needs updating. Olloclip lenses need to be replaced with each new iPhone size … The 2x 'telephoto' lens quickly became my standard lens, often remaining on my camera most of the time.
I now use an iPhone 7+ with its built-in 2x telephoto lens. It's wonderful!
BTW, the macro lenses of Olloclip and Moment are wonderful!
Also, I use a bulky and cumbersome adapter that holds my iPhone up to binoculars. Works well, but is heavy, bulky, fiddly and requires solid tripod. Never goes with me in my backpack.
Summary: skip the horrible 8x telephoto crap. Go for an expensive but usable Moment 2x lens. And get a macro lens as well.

Steppin'Wolf
03-22-2017, 10:17
Thanks. That's what I figured about the cheaper sets one sees on Amazon. I still wouldn't mind having a quality 3x telephoto lens that just clips over the lens for a quick photo. Will keep researching.

Traillium
03-22-2017, 16:53
Thanks. That's what I figured about the cheaper sets one sees on Amazon. I still wouldn't mind having a quality 3x telephoto lens that just clips over the lens for a quick photo. Will keep researching.

The highest telephoto lens I've seen is 2x only. (Other than the cheap crap I've commented on above).

If you find something stronger than 2x, I'd love to know about it!

Steppin'Wolf
04-08-2017, 11:49
Here's the latest. I went ahead an purchased the following from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K1ILX2E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I believe you could purchase the 3x telephoto lens separately. It is a good quality 3x lens (not fantastic, but pretty good).

Here is the lens:

Here are some photos.

From iPhone with no magnification (the only thing done to the photo was that it was resized):

From iPhone with 3X lens attached (the only thing done to the photo was that it was resized):

From iPhone with no magnification (cropped from full resolution):

From iPhone with 3X lens attached (cropped from full resolution):

With a little post production enhancing, the photo looks pretty good (colors enhances, darkened a little, and sharpened):

It serves the purpose for what I was wanting.

saltysack
04-08-2017, 11:53
Nice will it work with iPhone 7+ in a lifeproof case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Traillium
04-08-2017, 14:14
Looks interesting!

I wonder if it fits over the built-in 2x lens of the iPhone 7+?

saltysack
04-08-2017, 22:07
8oz......too damn heavy....[emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steppin'Wolf
04-09-2017, 07:29
Not sure about it working with the Lifeproof case (as I do not have one).

As to the weight, the 3x lens by itself is 2.7 oz. I've been carrying it in my front pack on shakedown hikes. It is handy to have and worth the weight to me.

saltysack
04-09-2017, 09:00
Not sure about it working with the Lifeproof case (as I do not have one).

As to the weight, the 3x lens by itself is 2.7 oz. I've been carrying it in my front pack on shakedown hikes. It is handy to have and worth the weight to me.

O the link said 8oz I'll definitely check it out....do you have a case on your phone? What about the zoom already on iPhone does it still function and focus w lens....

Steppin'Wolf
04-12-2017, 07:44
Yes, I have a very basic, thin case. It has quite a bit of open space around the lens on back, so the telephoto lens clips on without any problem.

The zoom in the iPhone still works, but I would not recommend using it unless absolutely necessary as it is a digital zoom and has some loss of quality.