PDA

View Full Version : Billville Winter Warmer - Duncannon, PA - March 3-5

chomp
01-25-2006, 10:05
Happy New Year!

I would like to announce the Third Annual Billville Winter Warmer! This year, the Winter Warmer will be held on March 3, 4 and 5 at the historic Doyle Hotel! (http://doylehotel.com) (http://doylehotel.com)

Q: What is a 'Winter Warmer"?

A: The Billville Winter Warmer is just an excuse to get together and hang out with friends who love the AT and hiking. It is rather loosely sponsored by Billville (a sub-group of AT hikers and trail angels) but all are welcome. There is only one planned event for the Warmer, and that would be a Saturday morning excursion to the Ironmasters Hostel to join ALDHA on a work trip.

Other than that, there are no planned events other than socializing in the bar on Friday and Saturday night. Options for the weekend are numerous, however, with many hiking options in the area. Also, two years ago, several Billvillians took a tour of Gettysburg. If you have never been there, I highly suggest making the trip. Do so with Jester and/or Baltimore Jack if you can!

In the past, if the conditions are not too bad, we have organized shelter-cleaning hikes. This is just a short hike into a shelter to look around and clean up whatever might need cleaning. This would be a good alternative to the Ironmasters work trip for those looking to do something different.

Q: Where is the Winter Warmer?

A: The Warmer will once again be held at the Doyle Hotel and Bar in downtown Duncannon, PA. There are several rooms available, and the quiet hours start at 2 am. If this is too much, there is a campground just down the street, or the truck stop just outside of town. Last year, we had everyone stay in the Doyle, and it should be that way this year as well, especially if you dont mind curling up on a piece of floor.

The Doyle is kind enough to host this event and they have treated us very well in the past. Pat and Vickey are excellent hosts - and we are lucky to have a great, friendly place like the Doyle to gather. We are welcome to socialize in the main bar, which usually has live entertainment, but we also have access to the upstairs bar if anyone wants to organize some sort of event.

Q: What do I bring to the Warmer?

A: First, bring yourself! Bring your hiking gear and be prepared for snowy and icy conditions. Bring your mountain bike, just in case. I'll be bringing mine (and yes, it has studs for ice riding). Bring any photo albums that you would like to share. Got some hiking videos? Bring your DVD's. I have a portable DVD player and the Doyle has a very large TV in the upstairs bar. If you are a future AT hiker, bring your questions. If you are a past AT hiker, bring your answers.

We would like to invite any hikers that are heading down to Springer to stop in at the Doyle on your way south. What a better way to start your AT hike than to hit one of the famous places on the trail and chew the fat with some like-minded people?

Q: Anything else I should know about the Warmer?

A: Well, as always, Contra Dancing is strictly prohibited. Also, if you are planning to attend, please let me know as soon as possible. I spoke with Pat and we have beds for about 12 people right now. There is space at the hotel for more, so please let me know if you plan on attending and what night(s) you will be staying over. If you don't want to plan ahead, and if you don't mind floor space, you can always crash in somone's room for $5/night.

If you would like more information, or you would like to confirm your attendance, you can post a reply here or send me a Private Message. I hope to see many of you at the Third Annual Billville Winter Warmer!

chomp

Jack Tarlin
01-25-2006, 14:56
Very nicely written, Chomp.

Will see you there, and hopefully, will see you before that as well.

Just want to add one thing: Event tho this annual get-together is sponsored by a pretty tight group of friends, it is NOT a closed event, and absolutely anyone is welcome to attend. I particularly like the idea of anyone who's heading South to stop by, as well as those who live nearby who'll be heading down a bit later. This is a very fun, very low-key event, and it gets better every year; hope to see some of you there!

A-Train
01-25-2006, 15:47
I hope to attend if I can get off from work for a couple days. Haven't been to the Doyle in a year-it's been too long!

wyclif
01-25-2006, 17:37
I live in the Philadelphia area, but I haven't been to The Doyle in years.

It would be fun to go to this just to meet other hikers and buy a few rounds. I'm thinking about driving up for this.

TJ aka Teej
01-25-2006, 18:19
I hope to attend, depending on how our basketball playoffs shake out. Should be an open weekend for us. Save some single malt for me! :D

Jack Tarlin
01-25-2006, 18:20
I hope you attend as well, assuming political discussion is permitted a warm a welcome as Contra dancing or drum circles! :)

Hope to see you there!

Lion King
01-25-2006, 18:37
If I come Im bringing Contra Strippers and A pile of Bongos filled with bourbon.
:D

Wonder
01-26-2006, 17:35
SOunds great.........can't wait to meet everyone! Gonna try and get the time off.......might be hard concidering I'm only working until the 10th

Jack Tarlin
01-26-2006, 18:30
If you're in Paoli it shouldn't be too hard to get there. That name sounds familiar....I seem to remember a Revolutionary War battle, or more like a massacre, with a bunch of Americans getting bayonetted in their sleep because they didn't post a watchman.

Or maybe I have the wrong Paoli.

In any case, our weekend in Duncannon should be a bit more congenial, hope to see you there!

wyclif
01-26-2006, 18:33
If you're in Paoli it shouldn't be too hard to get there. That name sounds familiar....I seem to remember a Revolutionary War battle, or more like a massacre, with a bunch of Americans getting bayonetted in their sleep because they didn't post a watchman.

Nope, you're right...I live not too far from Paoli. Lots of Revolutionary War skirmishes near there and a couple of full-blown battles, for example the Battle of the Brandywine:

http://www.chaddsfordhistory.org/history/battlefield-landmark.htm

Lots of colonial history in my area.

Cheesewhiz
01-26-2006, 19:45
Brandywine battlefield is basically in my back yard. Absolutely lots of history in the area as well as the hometown of the famous painter Andrew Wyeth.

Wonder
01-26-2006, 22:39
Wow! Jack I'm impressed with your knowledge of even the lesser know facts in american history! People that live only 15 miles from here have never heard of it! If you're intressted in some more detailed information on the massacre itself there is a book titled "Battle of Paoli" written by Thomas J. McGuire {ublished by Stackpole BOoks) It brings you through the occupation of Philadelphia up through the Massacre. Touching on the local battles and history as well ( Brandywine, Valley Forge) A few silly facts: 1. Milage wise, I live right in between Washingtons headquarters in Valley Forge( my fav. quick hike spot!) and the massacre site. 2.THe Paoli Massacre actually happend in Malvern, Pa. Paoli itself is only 2sq miles 3. Washington helped plan the never fought Battle of Paoli in a tavern that stood on the same lot as my building.
I'm so lucky to be immersed in such nationl history. Anyway, sorry for the babble.......I'm really amazed that people know about my little corner of the world.
PS Wyclif, being so close to Brandywine state park.....do you happen to frisbee golf?

wyclif
01-26-2006, 23:11
Brandwine Battlefield in Chadds Ford, PA is one of my favourite places. I conducted a land survey there last year where I mapped the topography of the entire site.

I also am a big Revolutionary War history buff. I had distant relatives fighting on both sides...my family is from the UK some generations back.

As for frisbee golf, yes, I have played a lot of rounds and I enjoy the game, but not at Brandywine Battlefield. I have taken a lot of photographs of the battlefield, though.

Anway, not to stray too far from topic, but I hope to be at The Doyle for the Billville event. Hopefully I won't have to work that Saturday. If not, I plan to be there.

wyclif
01-26-2006, 23:24
I just did a Google search for "Billville", trying to discover the origin of the group and the name. It seems they do a lot of ALDHA volunteering; that sounds like a good thing. But other than finding interesting photos such as this one:

http://gallery.backcountry.net/gathering03-billville/aai

I can't find much text on the history of the group, who started it (Bill? or someone from Billville, IN?). If someone has that info it would be helpful.

Also found a gallery of photos from the 2005 Billville Warmer at The Doyle:

http://gallery.backcountry.net/album55

Seeing those photos of The Doyle are great; I almost forgot about the rickety, broken-in charm and the rough-hewn milieu of the bar.

Seeing those pint pilsner glasses made me thirsty!

Jack Tarlin
01-26-2006, 23:49
Speaking of history, Wyclif, where'd you get your nickname? There was a John Wyclif who lived around 600 years ago, I think he was the first guy to translate the bible into English. Any connection?

Reason I'm asking is if you're a clergyman or of a spiritual bent, we could DEFINITELY use you at the warmer, although for some of us, it's probably too late!

And T-80, thanx for the book information. If you're interested in American history, you'll find a ton of it on the Trail: All sorts of Native American history (there was a major battle on or near Blood Mountain in Georgia for example);
Colonial and Revolutionary history---we go by or near all sorts of places connected to early explorers of the south, the French and Indian War, and of course the Revolution----the rebels passed by the present Overmountain Shelter on their way to the battle of King's Mountain in 1780; up North, the Battle of Bennington in 1777 is just off the Trail. The loss of either battle would've meant we'd be speaking English today. Whoops. A loss at either place would mean we'd BE English today. Oh, and it just occurred to me that Waynesboro, Virginia is named for Mad Anthony Wayne, a fine general who happened to be the one who dropped the ball at Paoli. And of course, there's an extraordinary ammount of history connected to the War Bewtween the States. Harpers Ferry is a great place to spend some time; it's not far from Sharpsburg (or Antietam, for you Yanks). And the Trail cuts Rt. 30 just west of Gettsyburg, but I rather suspect you've been there a time or two.

Anyway, if you're interested in American History, you'll find plenty on the Trail.

Whether or not this includes Duncannon, I don't know. All sorts of stuff has happened there over the years, tho happily most of it wasn't recorded or written down!

Jack Tarlin
01-26-2006, 23:57
Wyclif---

I seem to recall dating a girl from Mishawaka around 20 years ago, but other than that I can't think of any Billville connections to Indiana.

The history and origins of Billville are a mystery wrapped in a riddle tied in an enigma and was then lost somewhere along the Trail.

Actually, there is a story behind the birth of Billville (or Williamstown as our more genteel members put it) and if you're really unlucky, we'll bore the hell out of you in Duncannon and tell you all about it. All you need to know is that Billville is more a state of mind that an actual place. It's a bunch of folks, all Trail related, most of whom (but certainly not all) have thru-hiked, do Trail Magic, or both. We get together half a dozen times over the course of the year and do various things. Sometimes this involves volunteer work for the Trail. Sometimes it involves feeding hungry hikers. Sometimes it involves distilled products from Scotland and Ireland. It always involves good stories, good times, and good people.

And we're always looking for new ones. Hope to see you in Duncannon.

wyclif
01-27-2006, 00:25
We get together half a dozen times over the course of the year and do various things. Sometimes it involves distilled products from Scotland and Ireland.

Count me in; I'm a single-malt man myself; my last name is Scots Gaelic.

What's your poison?...I like Laphroaig a lot, when I can afford it. Also Oban. :D

Jack Tarlin
01-27-2006, 00:37
Laphroaig's great, tho I'm partial to Glenmorangie. The Glenlivet 18 0r 21-Year Olds will do fine, too.......especially when someone else is buying!

On a hiking budget, tho, I'm a Jim Beam loyalist, as several of my more outspoken detractors here seem to enjoy pointing out.

Looking forward to sharing one with you in a few weeks.

Wonder
01-27-2006, 10:12
Glenfiddich all the way! Thanks for the info Jack! I'm gonna look some of that up before I leave......I really like the info on Mad Anthony. His homested is right in my neighborhood. I was wondering about the name "Waynesboro in my planning. That is the name of a township here, as well as the name of his homestead.
Wyclif: THere is no frisbee at the Battleground, but the near by Brandywine state park in De has the most wide ope course I have ever played. I go there when I don't feel like playing Pinball witht he trees :-)
Also a pretty decent course in Fairmount Park in Philly.(first on the east coast if I remember correctly) Maybe we'll toss a few.
ANyway, putting my request of for the 3-5 today....hope I get to meet you all very soon!

RedneckRye
01-27-2006, 10:39
This thread had better get dumbed down a bit or I ain't coming.

I'm working on getting the Billville Ohio folks organized, but no firm "Yeah sure, I'll drive 7 hours to stay at the Doyle." answers , yet.

Wonder
01-27-2006, 10:59
I promise....once I get enough scotch in me......I'll become the "Dumb Blonde"

chomp
01-27-2006, 14:34
This thread had better get dumbed down a bit or I ain't coming.

I'm working on getting the Billville Ohio folks organized, but no firm "Yeah sure, I'll drive 7 hours to stay at the Doyle." answers , yet.

You and the other Ohio boys better make your way out to the Doyle. And if you don't, I at least expect a better excuse than "I am helping my parents move."

Blister
01-27-2006, 15:39
I promise....once I get enough scotch in me......I'll become the "Dumb Blonde"

Just what Billville needs, I suggest you bring a body gaurd as these horn balls might take advantage of that. Especially Jack and Jester

Hey Red Neck, since you seem to be representing the Ohio contingent, has anyone been in touch with two-step??? You might enjoy driving to the warmer with a cute girl by your side.

Looking forward to lettin it all hang out, good friends, good beer, luxurious accomodations what else could a girl ask for, well I can think of one more thing but I dont think our royal website leaders would appreciate me going into detail. But I am about do for some.........
:dance :dance :dance

RedneckRye
01-27-2006, 16:01
I've heard the name Two-Step, but have never met her. You're right, she's gotta be a better travelling companion than the Rif-Rafs. HA HA HA.

Blister
01-27-2006, 16:09
I'll send her an email - if she is up to going, which the last time we spoke she was. What towns are the Ohioians heading out from?????

chomp
01-27-2006, 16:23
Speaking of rides - who needs a ride from NH?

Jack Tarlin
01-27-2006, 16:27
Karine and I might if you want to go in one vehicle and split the gas, which would seem to make a lot of sense; get in touch. We also have to figure out what day and time we want to arrive.

RedneckRye
01-27-2006, 16:32
It's good to see all of us here on WhiteBlaze discussing such important matters on a friday afternoon. Is no one at work, or is everyone at work not working?

the goat
01-27-2006, 16:33
It's good to see all of us here on WhiteBlaze discussing such important matters on a friday afternoon. Is no one at work, or is everyone at work not working?

i think it's the latter.....

Jack Tarlin
01-27-2006, 16:35
Not everyone's a Monday thru Friday nine to fiver, Red. Karine and I both generally work nights, and Friday's always my name off.

What Chomp is up to is anybody's guess........

RedneckRye
01-27-2006, 17:01
I wonder how the % of hikers with M-F 9-5 jobs compares to that of "normal" people.
It's been almost 10 years since I had a regular schedule. The last year I had a 9-5, I also was working a second job to get hiking money together. After my thru, the regular schedule looked even less appealing. Right now, I'm doing four 10-11 hour days a week with 3 days off. It is really nice to head out to the woods on a tuesday morning, no matter how nice the weather it is rare to see even a handful of folks.

chomp
01-27-2006, 18:47
I have the fortunate/unfortunate "office" job. So I sit in front of a computer for 8 hours a day. As much as my job would love it if I just wrote code with my head down the whole time, it just doesn't work that way. After about an hour or so of coding straight, I start to approach the level of diminishing returns if I don't take a break. So I get 5-10 minutes here and there to jump online.

I'll give you guy a call this weekend. Walkin Home is getting a ride with me as well. I am up for leaving either Thrusday at 5 and getting there late, or first thing Friday morning. As for leaving, I want to be on the road by noon sharp on Sunday.

bfitz
01-27-2006, 19:10
Working stinks. I just party all the time. So I'll see y'all there. I got a place to stay, won't ake up any doyle bed-space...

Sly
01-27-2006, 21:47
Chomp, can you swing down to Asheville? I'll pay for the gas to Duncannon and find my own way home.

Thanks!

Wonder
01-28-2006, 12:47
Anyone from the Philly area want to car-pool? I have a big junker of a caddy, so gas may be cheeper in someting else........let me know.
PS Philly folk........keep an eye out about a post for us Philly thru/section hikers to get together i the next couple weeks!

Jack Tarlin
01-28-2006, 15:16
Get in touch with Jester2000 on this website, he'll be travelling from Philly. If you can't reach him with a Private Message, write me and I'll send along his phone number.

And to Chomp--either Thursday or Friday early is fine with us, I'd prefer Thursday so as to have a full day in Duncannon the next day. As for departure time, no problem, as I'll be leaving town and heading South.

Sleepy the Arab
01-30-2006, 00:47

Hmmm....maybe. Details are still hazy though, so I'll get back to you in a few weeks.

Heater
01-30-2006, 04:15
I'm doing four 10-11 hour days a week with 3 days off. It is really nice to head out to the woods on a tuesday morning, no matter how nice the weather it is rare to see even a handful of folks.

Rotating 3 on, 2 off, 2 on 3 off, 2 on, 2 off and repeat. 12 hour shifts 6 p.m. - 6 am. I work 15 days a month.

I am ready, so ready, to quit. One more year.

RedneckRye
01-30-2006, 10:07
Only 39 days till I'm done with work for 6 months or so, only 23 of those will be work days. Days are startiong to creep by for me like they did when I was 6 waiting for christmas to finally get here!!

Lion King
01-30-2006, 11:30

Really????????????

Dude, Im in Glencliff...ummmm...when are you going and what are your treturn plans?

LK

chomp
01-30-2006, 12:20
Plans are (depending on who is riding with and the weather) - leave from Concord, NH on Thursday at 5 PM or Epping, NH on Friday at 8 am. Return trip - leave Duncannon by NOON on Sunday.

So far - traveling in the Shaggin Wagon are... Me, Walkin Home, Jack, Blister, Arrow and possibly VSA. You would be the last seat if you are interested, LK. Let me know.

Jack Tarlin
01-30-2006, 15:41
King--

If this works out for you, get yer ass down to Hanover Wednesday or Thursday and stay over and we'll all leave for from here. Keep us informed....

Blister
01-30-2006, 17:19
I'm just gonna keep reading everybodies posts to find out what I'm doing and when I'm goin. Sounds like a plan
:dance :dance :dance

Lion King
01-31-2006, 11:52
King--

If this works out for you, get yer ass down to Hanover Wednesday or Thursday and stay over and we'll all leave for from here. Keep us informed....

I know Ill be there tonight at some point, so we can discuss it.

If it all works out Im a go.

StarLyte
01-31-2006, 21:44
Same Here Redneck-I always want to attend this, but I live in Cleveland-just as far as you.
The pictures are so inviting.
Lemme think.
Marsha

Lion King
02-01-2006, 16:30
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Blister cooked for us!

Good times with Blister, Home Brew, Salamander, and WeatherCarrot last night.

Thanks BBS, and go easy on Jack...did I say that????

LK

Blister
02-02-2006, 17:51
AAhhh... He can take out whatever I dish out. There have been times I was on the recieving end. Anyhow - it was great to hang with ya'll the other night - next and last time I will see Billvillians - the warmer, before its off to the Great Divide. Hope the left overs were just as good the second time around.

Jester2000
02-06-2006, 18:17
This is by far the most scatterbrained Billville thread I've ever read. Battle of Paoli? Percentage of hiking 9-5ers? John Wyclif? Frisbee golf, for God's sake??

Jack forgot to mention that in addition to Billville's origins being a mystery wrapped in a riddle tied in an enigma, it is also surrounded by a connundrum and smothered in secret sauce.

Wait, did Blister call me a "horn ball?" I don't even know what that means. But I can guess.

So one addition to the announcements: once again we will be having a bad hiking poetry contest, so anyone in attendance can feel free to get started early.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in Duncannon!

Jester

RedneckRye
02-06-2006, 18:30
MMM...Secret Billville Sauce...MMM

Jester2000
02-07-2006, 21:52
Oh, and one more announcement -- Billville T-Shirts and bumper stickers will be available for purchase, as usual.

Guaranteed to bring a lifetime of trail magic. Or maybe a lifetime of itching. Hard to say.

Blister
02-09-2006, 14:44
Shouldn't that be a shaneless plug
:dance

WalkinHome
02-09-2006, 21:52
Good one Blister-See you soon! Hiking Rt4 (Rangeley area) to Rt17 (Height of Land area) this weekend. Spending the night at SabbathDay Pond shelter.
Will be with Mad Mike, Hydro and Potatoman.
Later

Lion King
02-10-2006, 11:50
Oh, and one more announcement -- Billville T-Shirts and bumper stickers will be available for purchase, as usual.

Guaranteed to bring a lifetime of trail magic. Or maybe a lifetime of itching. Hard to say.

In a Homer Simpson voice..

"droooooooooooooooool....Magical Itching"

Wonder
02-10-2006, 15:23
Well, I don't know if I'll be making it this year....I'm trying to spend as much time with my family before I leave.....don't think that I want to give up one of my last weekends with them. Sorry folks....I'll catch you on the trail

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2006, 16:14
Geez, you're gonna see you family on weekends for the next seventy years.....Winter Warmer doesn't come 'round that often. Surely you can spare the afternoon on Saturday!

Ah, well. Priorities are priorities. We'll see you somewhere down the line, watch for those red blazes. We're everywhere!

Nokia
02-10-2006, 16:38
Well, I don't know if I'll be making it this year....I'm trying to spend as much time with my family before I leave.....don't think that I want to give up one of my last weekends with them. Sorry folks....I'll catch you on the trail
If I had a choice between spending a weekend with the crazies in my family or the crazies in Billville, I'd pick Billville.:jump

Lion King
02-11-2006, 12:04
If I had a choice between spending a weekend with the crazies in my family or the crazies in Billville, I'd pick Billville.:jump

No Shi%$, then at least you could win some awesome prizes!

Questionably tastelfull, but awesome(Adjusts:banana ring)

MOWGLI
02-11-2006, 12:07
Geez, you're gonna see you family on weekends for the next seventy years.....Winter Warmer doesn't come 'round that often. Surely you can spare the afternoon on Saturday!

Ah, well. Priorities are priorities. We'll see you somewhere down the line, watch for those red blazes. We're everywhere!

My mental image of Jack while he posted this reply is of the guy on TV who always says, "Lost Another Loan to Ditech." ;)

Wonder
02-11-2006, 15:57
I'm gonna see what I can do about getting there for sat. My car went "boom" on thurs......and went to the great car wash in the sky. Just one less thing I need to ditch before I leave!

Nokia
02-11-2006, 18:15
No Shi%$, then at least you could win some awesome prizes!
Lion King, you know some of my family, like Rockhead(:jump). That's a friggin' prize in and of itself!:bse
Won't be making the winter warmer, but I'm sure I'll see you all at Trail Days.

Blister
02-13-2006, 15:00
Looks like Two step (aka Grace ) will be heading down with Redneck. Rumors of other special guests to surprise the masses as well. However I have been sworn not to induldge the information.
Have we fianlized travel arrangments from the Northeast???? Just point me in the right direction and say go.

trailangelmary
02-15-2006, 02:26
Hello to all,

It looks like I will not be in Duncannon for the winter warmer. The pool tournament that is a qualifier for Nationals in Las Vegas has been changed to that weekend. So unless my team is eliminated early, I will be in Selingsgrove (about 45 minutes north of Duncannon).
There are some possibilities for catching up to all of you in Duncannon though. If I get a big break between matches or get done early Saturday before shooting on Sunday, I will make it a plan to drive back to Duncannon. You may see me late Saturday. I'll come upstairs and listen for the noise or someone call me and let me know what room will be Central Billville.

Love to all of you,
Mary

Cheesewhiz
02-15-2006, 08:48
Where is Billville? I can't find it on Mapquest?

Just kidding, Im gonna try to make it to the warmer before my thru this year. is there still room in the doyle. Is Tricks attending?

chomp
02-15-2006, 11:14
Mary -

Sorry to hear that you will be out of town that weekend!! Hopefully you can make it back on Saturday to hang out for a little bit. Good luck in your tournament.

As far as I know, there is going to be plenty of room at the Doyle. Though I only have a rough head count. So far, here are the people that NEED A BED. I know that we will be joined by others, and there is more room at the Doyle, I just need to give them a heads to up get more beds ready.

Me
Blister
Jack
Ray
Lion King
Jester
Tricks
Redneck Rye
Two Step
wyclif (?)
TJ (?)
trailgirl80 (?)
Cheesewhiz (?)

So that is 9 for sure, and possibly 13 people, which is right around the number that I gave them. So there is still more room. I am really starting to look forward to this.

As for departure time, those riding down with me from NH - any preference on leaving Thrusday at 5 or Friday early morning? Let me know.

Jester2000
02-15-2006, 11:46
The pool tournament that is a qualifier for Nationals in Las Vegas has been changed to that weekend. So unless my team is eliminated early. . .

Is it wrong to root for Mary's team to lose? Yeah, probably.
I'm away for a couple of weeks, so I'll see you all in Duncannon!

Jester

WalkinHome
02-15-2006, 15:11
Hi Chomp, I am still with you unless Old Fhart (who I will see the 25th) decides he is going and then I may go with him if he decides to take his car. Thursday night vs Friday does not matter to me except that I do not know which part of the state I will be working in. I get out at 3:30 and will do my best to make your schedule-whatever it is. Later-will keep you posted. You have Tricks listed to go-have you spoken to him? I have not been able to reach him by phone lately. Now get bak to work you bum!! Love to VSA.

Jack Tarlin
02-15-2006, 15:24
Thursday night works best for us; get in touch with Blister to arrange details.....I think the idea is to drive down to your place in Blister's car and leave it there for the weekend, sparing you the ride up here and back. If this works, let us know, along with what time we should be there.

Blister
02-15-2006, 20:47
Anyone gonna be goin by a major airport - I have an interested and interesting billvillian who would like to fly in for the festivities - trying to make some options for him

StarLyte
02-15-2006, 20:52
You and the other Ohio boys better make your way out to the Doyle. And if you don't, I at least expect a better excuse than "I am helping my parents move."

Chomp !!!!

I expect DAMN good photos of this - as usual :D

Marsha

bfitz
02-15-2006, 21:10
...billvillian....
Howsabout "billvillain"?

lbbrown
02-16-2006, 20:08
Anyone gonna be goin by a major airport - I have an interested and interesting billvillian who would like to fly in for the festivities - trying to make some options for him
Harrisburg Airport is south of Duncannon. Where is this person flying from? We will probably going near there Friday night on the way to the Doyle. (Sworn to secrecy!)

Blister
02-16-2006, 22:23
Harrisburg Airport is south of Duncannon. Where is this person flying from? We will probably going near there Friday night on the way to the Doyle. (Sworn to secrecy!)

He will be flying in from either Mexico or Southern california. I am waiting to hear from him. He was looking for airfares and we were brewing the various options. When I know - ya'll will know. Thanks for the offerish.

RedneckRye
02-17-2006, 02:51
Is there any sort of THEME, or can I just show up as my own idiot self??

I'ts looking like the Billville Midwest Sub-Division should be well represented.

Also, I'm bringing plenty of the Wes' Homemade Hot Sauce for the folks that need it. Just so you know, Dad's peppers were a BIT hotter this year than in the last few years. It's good on whatever you may be eating but it may hurt later.

Jester2000
02-20-2006, 12:29
No, no theme. Well, unless you consider "Billville" a theme, which I thought it was until Miss Janet told me we needed a theme at Trail Days. But feel free to wear a costume anyway. I usually do.

(That reminds me -- I'll bring photos from the Trashgiving Banana Run)

And yes, for those of you who are wondering, I am in Ireland, and I am not in a pub.

Jack Tarlin
02-22-2006, 18:09
Well, tomorrow's Thursday; some of us will be on the road to Duncannon in just over a week.

Just to get a rough idea of attendance, which of you reprobates think you'll be present?

There might be a prize for the person who comes from the furthest away....and no, Jester, flying back from vacation in Ireland doesn't count!

StarLyte
02-22-2006, 18:40
Well, tomorrow's Thursday; some of us will be on the road to Duncannon in just over a week.

Just to get a rough idea of attendance, which of you reprobates think you'll be present?

There might be a prize for the person who comes from the furthest away....and no, Jester, flying back from vacation in Ireland doesn't count!

Jack I'm coming from Cleveland. Be there Friday afternoon.
I'm bringing props.:D
Marsha

Jester2000
02-23-2006, 13:19

How can coming from Ireland NOT count?!? I specifically timed this trip so I would be coming from the furthest away. I want to appeal to the Rules Committee. . .er, wait, Fester IS the Rules Committee? Never mind.

Anyway, I will be flying in Wednesday and driving out Thursday. See y'all there. Slainte!

Newb
02-23-2006, 16:10
Is there gonna be enough room at the Doyle?

Blister
02-23-2006, 16:18
As with past years and past hikes there will always be room at the inn - bring your sleeping pad for floor space if worse comes to worse. I will be there and the list keeps getting longer. Can't wait to see ya'll!

trailangelmary
02-24-2006, 07:00
I have mixed feelings growing stronger as the Winter Warmer/ Pool Tournament Weekend gets closer. I will be missing a lot of fun I can see!! Chomp, don't forget your camera and batteries!! I need pictures!!
Cheer my team to lose!! Hmmmmmmmmm! Well, just maybe!!!
LOL

Newb
02-24-2006, 09:14
I'll be there Saturday Afternoon.

chomp
02-24-2006, 09:30
I'll be there Saturday Afternoon.

Keep in mind that a lot of us will be heading down to the Ironmaster Hostel on Saturday AM to help clean up and get the place open for hiker season. I imagine it will be like last year, and we will be back to the Doyle around late afternoon.

StarLyte
02-24-2006, 14:49
Keep in mind that a lot of us will be heading down to the Ironmaster Hostel on Saturday AM to help clean up and get the place open for hiker season. I imagine it will be like last year, and we will be back to the Doyle around late afternoon.

Yep--planned on going to the hostel and taking Donna something too.
Marsha

Lion King
02-25-2006, 11:54
Mna...I wish I was going...
I just had to spend $300 on a damn dentist.

My face is swollen like a baseball, Im glad I told you guys previously that I was going to change my mind.

Hey Blisters on her way up here today.

My face hurts...have a good time!

Jester2000
02-27-2006, 08:10
My face hurts...

See, now you make me wanna say "well, it's killing me." But I won't. I'm far too mature for that. I'm heading from Ballybofey today and going back up to Derry, so I'll be out of touch until I see you all. Philly on Wed., Duncannon on Thursday! Love to all the chaps!

Panzer1
02-27-2006, 23:35
Mary -

Sorry to hear that you will be out of town that weekend!! Hopefully you can make it back on Saturday to hang out for a little bit. Good luck in your tournament.

As far as I know, there is going to be plenty of room at the Doyle. Though I only have a rough head count. So far, here are the people that NEED A BED. I know that we will be joined by others, and there is more room at the Doyle, I just need to give them a heads to up get more beds ready.

Me
Blister
Jack
Ray
Lion King
Jester
Tricks
Redneck Rye
Two Step
wyclif (?)
TJ (?)
trailgirl80 (?)
Cheesewhiz (?)

So that is 9 for sure, and possibly 13 people, which is right around the number that I gave them. So there is still more room. I am really starting to look forward to this.

As for departure time, those riding down with me from NH - any preference on leaving Thrusday at 5 or Friday early morning? Let me know.

Add me to the list. Will be arriving friday night. Do I need to make a reseveration?

Panzer

lbbrown
02-28-2006, 12:49
Add me to the list. Will be arriving friday night. Do I need to make a reseveration?

Panzer
I spoke with Vicky 2 weeks ago and she said they don't take reservations. I guess they need a head count.

LB and JoeD are arriving Friday night also.

chomp
03-01-2006, 12:41
Due to the snowstorm that is brewing to drop over a half a foot in CT and NY, the New England contingent will be leaving at 8 AM on Friday, hopefully arriving around 3 PM.

As for beds, I know a bunch of you have been asking about bed space, etc... I plan on calling Pat and Vicky today and checking on how much space they have. I do not anticipate a problem. I'll post something later tonight.

chomp

TJ aka Teej
03-01-2006, 13:09
That TJ fella can't make it. The basketball team I coach did get a first round bye, but the second round starts Saturday afternoon. Drive safe, enjoy the winter warmth, and thanks for helping out at Ironamsters!

chomp
03-01-2006, 15:38
Just talked to Vicky - they have several rooms and 15 beds available for this weekend for us. We have about 20 people who have said told me in one way or another that they are going to be there. And I think that I have everyone accounted for. Anyway, we will utilizing floor space at the Doyle, but I don't think that we should be too overcrowded. Again, this is if everyone who said they were coming actually does show up.

Also, I am driving the van down there, so if things get really crowded, I can always crash in the back. I am really excited about this weekend and I looking forward to seeing everyone on Friday!

chomp

Panzer1
03-01-2006, 23:20

Do we need to bring any tools, cleaning supplies? What exactly are we going to "clean up"?

Are there any hikes planned?

Panzer

WalkinHome
03-02-2006, 12:32
Get back to work Chomp-slacker!!!

RedneckRye
03-02-2006, 12:42
Looks like the central Ohio crew will be Two Step, Riff Raff and Sarah, Rif Raf, and Me. Also Angus is coming up on saturday.

Jack Tarlin
03-02-2006, 14:24
It's been a couple of crazy days here in Hanover, what with packing, cleaning up the hovel, etc. There was a small going-away party last night at Five-Olde, but Tom the owner said the REAL celebration won't be held til it's been confirmed that I've actually left town. Woke up this morning feeling like nine miles of poorly maintained Trail in Jersey, I suppose it's good practice for this weekend.

Spending the day running errands; then it's to sleep early as Blister wants to be on the road by six tomorrow morning, which is a very fearful thing to contemplate.

In any case, I hope everyone has a safe trip and we'll see you guys sometime
in the mid-afternoon.

Blister
03-02-2006, 14:54
Are we there yet??????

lbbrown
03-02-2006, 15:04
Are we there yet??????
Y'all drive careful now, ya heah?

It's raining in Delaware. No snow here.:sun

bfitz
03-05-2006, 20:20
Where is everybody?The doyle is empty! (except for a sad looking jester....) And we can't find the poteen! What the hell did you guys do with it?!?

Blister
03-05-2006, 21:06
Very sad to have to leave everybody. Great showing and the highest numbers yet. We never did a group picture or did I miss it??? Almost home - had to stop into work - Boy will I sleep good tonight!

Panzer1
03-05-2006, 21:20
yea, best winter warmer to date. Had very good time. I can really say that I liked everone I met. I won't soon forget the 2am party on thr 4th floor.

Party on

Panzer

bfitz
03-05-2006, 21:56
Very sad to have to leave everybody. Great showing and the highest numbers yet. We never did a group picture or did I miss it??? Almost home - had to stop into work - Boy will I sleep good tonight!
It's not like you didn't sleep good last night....
Speaking of good sleep....Lone Wolf...?

Jester2000
03-06-2006, 01:03
We never did a group picture or did I miss it???

Yeah, we had one. But since you don't remember I won't tell you what you were (or rather weren't) wearing. You'll have to wait for this year's Christmas card.

Thanks to all who made the weekend as much fun as I seem to recall it being -- Pat & Vicki (wonderful and tolerant hosts, as usual), Chomp for planning the whole thing, all the folks who went to the work trip (especially everyone who showed up before me and did all the work), Mary & Greg and everyone who showed up to make the event what it was.

And thanks for the birthday presents! Especially the. . . um, never mind. . .

Lone Wolf
03-06-2006, 08:28
Good time wuz had by all. I think. Things were foggy on my end.:D Thanks Jester, Jack and Trix for feeding me liquor and "ruffies".

RedneckRye
03-06-2006, 09:14
Got safely back to Ohio last night and finished the haircut - clippers set on #2. Suddenly it seems a bit cooler.
Had a great time, as usual, and am now real excited to get out and get hiking.
One strange thing I noticed,there was no random display of asses. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

jym beam
03-06-2006, 10:18
A wonderful weekend in Duncannon. Thanks to the organizers of Billeville and all of its citizens for showing us a good time. Glad to have met everyone, hope to see everyone again in Damascus. We will definitely be attending Billville again in future years. Hope everyone is well

Jym Beam and Rain Queen

VSA
03-06-2006, 12:05
Hey folks,

Sorry i missed it, of course my beloved chomp told me all the funny stories!
Damn school work... But its worth it, as chomp told you, we are going to Zion next friday :o) ;o)

Redneck, Thank you so much for your hair, really. I cant wait to make my won redneck troll!
I swear not to donate it to poor kids who cant suck their thumbs anymore!

cant wait to see everyone at trail days.

( i cant believe little riff-raff has a girl back in ohio!!!!). He leaves broken hearts all along the trail !

Lots of Love
VSA

lbbrown
03-06-2006, 12:18
Thanks for making the newbie " Philly Hikerz" feel welcome! We had a great time. We might do a fly in for Trail Days. Look out for water balloons from the sky! See ya on the trail!

chomp
03-06-2006, 12:31
( i cant believe little riff-raff has a girl back in ohio!!!!). He leaves broken hearts all along the trail !

OK, first, its not "little riff-raff". Since there has been some confusion lately on which riff-raff is which.. (and you can no longer say "You know, the riff-raff that no female would date"), and "little riff-raff" sounds harsh even for Ben, I have decided to refer to them using the Starbucks measuring sizes.

So, that makes "little riff-raff" -> "Tall Riff-Raff". And, that makes "normal riff-raff" -> "Venti Riff Raff". Can we all agree on this? I think this makes everything much less confusing now.

chomp
03-06-2006, 12:53
Well, the Third Annual Billville Winter Warmer was a great success. By my count, we had over 40 people show up for part or all of the weekend!! When I started this little event 2 years ago, I never figured that it would get this big, but I was very happy to see so many people getting together and having a good time. New faces, old faces, and some really ugly faces... My only regret was that there just wasn't enough time to hang out with everyone.

For those of you that we not there (and Lone Wolf), here is a quick re-cap. The event really started on Thursday night when The Mayor, Jester, arrived and made sure that the Yuengling tap was working. I made it into town around 5 PM on Friday with Walkin Home, Blister, Jack and Arrow. I was shocked to see that we got beaten by 80% of the Ohio crowd. Friday night at the Doyle was the usual chatting, drinking, telling lies, etc...

Tricks figured out that Billville has a chance at a "group triple crown" this season. Redneck is hiking the PCT, Blister the CDT and Jack is going to try his hand at this Appalachian Trail thing that he has been hearing so much about. If the three of them are successfull - Billville Triple Crown!! Also, when Blister hits the Canadian border in a few months, that will make her a Triple Crowner. No pressure, tho. :)

Speaking of Tricks, it was his birthday last week, so we got together upstairs and presented him with many items, most not suitable to post here.

Saturday, many of us headed to the Ironmaster Hostel for another work trip. There was the usual spring-cleaning type work that needed to be done, along with some other chores. We scrubbed some mold off the back deck, cleaned lights, installed smoke alarms and called it a day. All and all, we spent about 5 hours helping to get the place in shape for the hiking season. Others went out and hiked, and because I was a loser and didn't tell Arrow about the work trip (and he never gave me crap about it - which just means he hasn't hung out with us long enough), he went out on the AT and picked up trash and cleaned a shelter.

Saturday night, we moved up to the big room in the Doyle to watch Sue Grace play her heart out. Woody got up there with his banjo and jammed with her for a few songs, and Pat got into the action with his harmonica. Sue was very nice to allow us to interrupt her a few times for another Bad Hiker Poetry contest, and to give Jester some well deserved birthday gifts.
Including a Boston Creme Pie... in the face.

As for Sunday... wow, what can I say about Greg and Mary that hasn't been said before? Mary was busy with a big pool tournament but she came down late Saturday night to see everyone, and organized a Big Breakfast on sunday... even though she wasn't going to be there! Greg was a fantastic host to us, and we all had an awesome breakfast before hitting the road to go back home.

I was seriously overwhelmed all Saturday night by how many people showed up, and how easy it is to hang out with this awesome group of people. For all the first-timers to Billville, we were glad to have you and hope to see you again soon. And despite what Jack told you, there is NO application fee, and you only have to by a t-shirt if you want to. Good luck to everyone out on a big hike this year - I am jealous as usual.

And of course, the biggest thanks once again go to Pat and Vicky for being such great hosts and allowing use to have the event there. They went all out for us this weekend, and it shows. Thanks again to everyone who showed up, and I hope to see most of you again at Trail Days.

chomp

photos are coming soon, I promise.

StarLyte
03-06-2006, 13:23
I had a fantastic weekend and will never miss this again. I posted some photos on http://gallery.backcountry.net/ and I'll be posting the same here some time today.

I can't wait to see you all again.

Marsha
"StarLyte"

Blister
03-06-2006, 16:07
It's not like you didn't sleep good last night....
Speaking of good sleep....Lone Wolf...?

I actually didn't sllep that much. It is official - I do not have anything resembling a voice!!!! If I told anyone I was gonna call them - it is gonna be a couple of days. Now that the fun is over - time to pack and then to hike. To my other triple crown billvillians have a great time!

StarLyte
03-06-2006, 20:04
Hey everyone - I just uploaded a bunch of photos from the Billville Winter Warmer and ALDHA Work Weekend from this past weekend. Enjoy!
Marsha
"StarLyte"

chomp
03-07-2006, 17:09
OK, everyone, I have finished uploading and labeling the photos from last weekend. It was great to see everyone. Make sure that you leave plenty of comments!!

http://gallery.backcountry.net/billville-warmer06

chomp

WalkinHome
03-08-2006, 18:38
Nice job on the pics Chomp. Caught a really miserable cold down there so will put off getting my stuff back. Later

Blister
03-09-2006, 12:44
Did anybody go hoe and not get sick?????

StarLyte
03-09-2006, 12:50
Did anybody go hoe and not get sick?????

The only "sick" I got was when I got home and realized I wanted to spend more time there with everyone. There were people I did not get a chance to talk to. Busy busy weekend!! Maybe a 3 day event next year?

Marsha Marsha Marsha

Lone Wolf
03-09-2006, 12:52
The only "sick" I got was when I got home and realized I wanted to spend more time there with everyone. There were people I did not get a chance to talk to. Busy busy weekend!! Maybe a 3 day event next year?

Marsha Marsha Marsha
3 days? Christ that'll put me in the hospital!:D

StarLyte
03-09-2006, 12:56
Hey - and we would take you there and wait for you to recover too.

We can always water the beverages down. nah

Marsha:p

bfitz
03-09-2006, 17:03
3 days? Christ that'll put me in the hospital!:D
6 hours'll put you to bed, no worries about going to the hospital....

Heater
03-09-2006, 17:27
Marsha Marsha Marsha

Heh heh... I can't get that out of my head when reading your posts.

I'm sorry but my last GF had a strange kind of Brady Bunch obsession. :-?

Panzer1
03-09-2006, 23:44
This years warmer was a big success. So, if we had 40 people this year, how many more people will we have next year. All the rooms at the Doyle were taken. If we grow next year, where will we put everyone. We don't have space for more people at the Doyle. I know that there were 3 rooms that were closed off. But even if these rooms come online next year, it still may not be enough.

Panzer

bfitz
03-09-2006, 23:47
This years warmer was a big success. So, if we had 40 people this year, how many more people will we have next year. All the rooms at the Doyle were taken. If we grow next year, where will we put everyone. We don't have space for more people at the Doyle. I know that there were 3 rooms that were closed off. But even if these rooms come online next year, it still may not be enough.

Panzer
More people per room? There's a camping area, too...

Old Spice
03-10-2006, 00:23
Why no contra dancing? Not that I would really miss it. Sounds like this event was a blast.

BooBoo
03-11-2006, 01:53
I'll be there next year! See ya'll at Trail Days!

Lion King
03-11-2006, 12:21
Original Bills...errr...some of them.

Check that photo out!

http://209.200.85.146/trailjournals/photos/3971/tj3971%5F021406%5F104928%5F131590.jpg

Wolf - 23000
03-13-2006, 10:07
Thank you to everyone for a well needed hiker good time. I only wish it could have lasted longer.

Wolf :banana

Newb
03-13-2006, 10:27
We can do some winter camping at the local campground. I'm sure for enough people they'd be willing to open it up for a couple of nights.

Skidsteer
03-13-2006, 18:40
Thank you to everyone for a well needed hiker good time. I only wish it could have lasted longer.

Wolf :banana

You folks look way too happy-or something!:D

TOW
03-28-2006, 18:19
wow, wish i had been here for the party, pat and vicky said it was a blast. she just showed me all the pics she took of blister sister, jester and now i know what mala looks like....looks like this will have to be an event i attend next year.....looking forward to trail days....

trailangelmary
04-02-2006, 04:23
:welcome
This years warmer was a big success. So, if we had 40 people this year, how many more people will we have next year. All the rooms at the Doyle were taken. If we grow next year, where will we put everyone.
Panzer

Not to worry. I have always taken the overflow when all the rooms are taken at the Doyle--during the Winter Warmer or at any point in the hiker season. It may just be a space on the floor but it is a space to crash. I don't mind tip toeing between bodies. You'd be surprized how many can sleep in my space in my apartment! LOL