PDA

View Full Version : Need help making Tyvekfootprint :)

llittle_llama
03-16-2017, 02:43
So I have my Tyvek, and I have my tent (BA Flycreek), but what I don't have is the knowledge of how to put grommets in the Tyvek. Should I just double up the edges and grommet right into the footprint? Should I make tabs with grommets in those and glue/tape them to the footprint? Should I just ditch the idea and drop the $45 on the BA one and be done with it? I would rather make my own and save the money, save the weight, and have a piece of gear I made myself :)

sethd513
03-16-2017, 05:50
If you are using the grommets to set your poles like factory ground sheets then you need to do a lot more thinking and work to make sure they are sturdy. At that rate I'd buy the footprint. If you are using the groundsheet for only protection purposes then just pitch the tent over the price of tyvek and cut it 2 inches shorter then the base off the tent all the way around. Don't add the extra weight and possible problems of the grommets. If that's the case go to the local hardwear store and get window wrap and I'm assuming it will save you 3 or 4 oz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deacon
03-16-2017, 05:51
Not sure why you would need grommets in a footprint. The edges of the footprint should be about two inches in from the edge of the sidewalls of the tent to prevent water from migrating between the footprint and tent floor.

jimmyjam
03-16-2017, 07:35
If you want to put in grommets, get the plastic ones (Quest Outfitters sells them). Fold over the corner about 2 or 3 " and use some double sided tape to hold the corner in place. cut a smal hole smaller than the grommet. The plastic ones just snap on, no special tool needed.

RangerZ
03-16-2017, 11:07
I didn't make a footprint but made a small tarp. I used tyvek tape to reinforce the edge and grommetted thru the tape and tyvek. At the corners I put tyvek tape then folded them in and grommetted thru. I haven't had any pull out problems.

nj4x4fever
03-16-2017, 11:26
Here is another idea. Get some double sided tape to connect strips of tyvek to each corner. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170316/d44838f4ba68438bc11ab0c85ed5ae46.jpg

Some of my friends in the hammock camping community will use a button hole stitcher on the sewing machine and stitch a couple holes so that you could put a Shepard hook stake in the corners.

nj4x4fever
03-16-2017, 15:06
Took out my tyvek sheet I use when I step out of my hammock. It is 32"x48" with 4 corner tie outs. It weighs about 66.8 Grams folded up. That's 2.7 oz. I could go smaller using priority mail envelopes taped together. but the weight doesn't matter to me now. Side A https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170316/bbaabea371d3782335ce532817fd7b45.jpg
Side B
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170316/fa5800ebedab1184a5d879515778ec10.jpg

Hosh
03-16-2017, 20:36
If you want to take some of the "crinkly" sounds out the Tyvek, put it in the washer a few cycles. Do this before you make a final cuts as it will shrink.

I put in metal grommets with duct tape on both sides. Today I would use the preformed double sided tabs recommended above.

An advantage of using grommets is being able to do the "fast fly" option eliminating the tent body.

H I T C H
03-16-2017, 22:42
You can also sew loops of paracord in the corners to use the footprint in a fast pitch setup.

Hitch

nj4x4fever
03-22-2017, 12:41
My tyvek footprint doesn't make a lot of noise now. I spent a few days wrinkling it up and pulling it back to straight then repeating several times.

Dogwood
03-22-2017, 16:53
Not sure why you would need grommets in a footprint. The edges of the footprint should be about two inches in from the edge of the sidewalls of the tent to prevent water from migrating between the footprint and tent floor.

Or fold the edges under so they don't protrude beyond the tent's footprint. This is just my opinion. Grommets in groundsheets adds to the cost and effort of something that's rarely a necessity. Perhaps, if you set up with just a BA fly, tent poles, and ground sheet the grommeted groundsheet would serve well but not needed under a tent.

lwhikerchris
03-22-2017, 19:20
I cut a small piece and put it under my tent where my sleeping pad lays. For me that is the only place condensation would build up because of the heat generated. I also doubled it's use for my pad in the shelters. In the rain/ice/snow, packing up a wet, muddy tent is inevitable; you can air it out when you break for lunch.