PDA

View Full Version : Advice requested

maxNcathy
01-25-2006, 10:50
Cathy and I are getting excited about learning more about hiking on the Appalachian Trail. We have one week to hike this April.

Any advice regarding which tent to buy? We want one fairly roomy with a weight under 6 pounds.

And any advice on a beautiful 30-50 mile section that would be good for old newbies in fair condition to hike on in late April?

Thanks, Max

sliderule
01-25-2006, 10:59
Golite Den.

justusryans
01-25-2006, 11:06
Check into Henry Shires Tarptents. Good Luck

RLC_FLA
01-25-2006, 11:47
As far as the tent, check out your local outfitters and crawl around in one until you find one that suits your fancy.

A good 30-50 mile section would be from Amicocola Falls SP to Neels Gap. Covers the approach trail, the falls, Springer Mtn and all in an area with good shuttle availability.

Hope to see you out there, we're doing the Ga section for 2 weeks beginning April 16th.

RLC_FLA
GAME->89

Tin Man
01-25-2006, 19:08
There are lots of good tents to choose from. Check the gear threads. Regarding location for your hike, it depends on how far you are willing to travel. A somewhat easy hike and closer to Ontario than points south would be CT or southern MA. If you want a romantic camp fire at night then stick with MA as CT (as well as NJ) has a ban on fires on the AT.

Ridge
01-25-2006, 19:14
I use a Walrus tent, I think REI bought them out. Anyway check www.rei.com (http://www.rei.com) they have some neat stuff and have a great customer serv dept.

wacocelt
01-25-2006, 19:20
The MSR hubba hubba is 2 person, light wieght and very easy to set up, it's also free standing. I intend to get the hubba Hubba as my one person tent eventually. Be well.

Puck

maxNcathy
01-26-2006, 10:45
There are lots of good tents to choose from. Check the gear threads. Regarding location for your hike, it depends on how far you are willing to travel. A somewhat easy hike and closer to Ontario than points south would be CT or southern MA. If you want a romantic camp fire at night then stick with MA as CT (as well as NJ) has a ban on fires on the AT.

Thanks, TinMan. Today I am thinking the REI half dome HC tent at 169$ would be fine for Cathy and me to use hiking.Also wondering about Spitfire 2 tent at $130. Or MSR Zoid at $199. Have you used a 2 person tent that was light etc?

Do you think the Trail in MA in April would be in good shape?...we are trying to get to a warmer spot than ON in April.Maybe Va would be warmer yet not so far as Ga from home. Do you know a section in Va that you think is not too rugged for us to try out?

Max

maxNcathy
01-26-2006, 10:51
As far as the tent, check out your local outfitters and crawl around in one until you find one that suits your fancy.

A good 30-50 mile section would be from Amicocola Falls SP to Neels Gap. Covers the approach trail, the falls, Springer Mtn and all in an area with good shuttle availability.

Hope to see you out there, we're doing the Ga section for 2 weeks beginning April 16th.

RLC_FLA
GAME->89

Thanks RLC and all of you for your suggestions and advice.

RLC, when Cathy retires in 3 years we will be able to go down Ga way and start north hiking maybe 2 weeks at a time. I wonder if we will live long enough to get all the way to Maine. hahha

I wish you a great hike this April and wish we could be free for 2 weeks to meet up with you.

Max

Rain Man
01-26-2006, 15:30
My wife and I have an REI Half-Dome Plus. It's free-standing, easy to set up, roomy, and backed by a FANTASTIC guarantee at REI. We love it. I have also set it up several times with only the rainfly and footprint, and saved the weight of the tent body itself. So, it's versatile.

I like Henry Shires' tarptent series too. The MSR Hubba has a reputation for breaking poles, I understand. Perhaps they've got that fixed now.

Rain:sunMan

The Solemates
01-26-2006, 15:40
Thanks, TinMan. Today I am thinking the REI half dome HC tent at 169$ would be fine for Cathy and me to use hiking.Also wondering about Spitfire 2 tent at $130. Or MSR Zoid at $199. Have you used a 2 person tent that was light etc?

Do you think the Trail in MA in April would be in good shape?...we are trying to get to a warmer spot than ON in April.Maybe Va would be warmer yet not so far as Ga from home. Do you know a section in Va that you think is not too rugged for us to try out?

Max

We used to have a Zoid and it was a great tent. We have a Mtn Hdwr Waypt II now, which is basically the same tent, but single-wall and minus the small vestibule, which wasnt good for much anyways.

themooseisloose
01-26-2006, 16:17
I have the Hubba Hubba and I love it. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

If you're considering the Half Dome, you might also consider the Quarter Dome, which is lighter. Another option is the Sierra Designs Lightning. It's super light. It only has one door, which is unfortunate, but the door is GIANT. The whole side of the tent is the door, so you're able to sit side by side in the tent with your feet outside the door, which is very nice. Easy to get in and out of.

Almost There
01-26-2006, 16:21
Unless you're small the Quarterdome won't work for you, it really isn't a two person. I do have the Halfdome and would recommend it. I also have the Hubba...and I like it even better, BTW people break the poles on the Hubba and Hubba Hubba becaust they don't know what they're doing, there is no way you should break them, the tent can't get much easier to set up. Eventually I probably will buy the Hubba Hubba for my wife and I, but for now the Half Dome suits my purpose!

sourwood
01-26-2006, 16:32
I used a Hubba last summer on a bike trip through the Rockies. I agree that the tent was way easy to set up and the poles were fine. I love the tent and plan to use it on the AT this summer. I have no doubt the Hubba Hubba is as good. I found the best prices on this tent on E-bay. When my husband and I hike together we use the REI Taj 3. This tent is not as light as you want, but it is downright palatial. We fit ourselves and gear in the tent with room to spare. It takes the weather great too. If weight is important this tent will probably not be the best for you. We tend to go for comfort over weight when we hike.

Julie

Chef2000
01-26-2006, 17:34
Since 03 i have been using HillebergTents, they are expensive but top quality. My solo tent weighs 3#, last year I purchased up 2-3 person that weighs just under six pounds. These tents are awesome.

Tin Man
01-26-2006, 21:10

Max

I use a North Face Clip Flashlight CD, which is ok but I would not recommend it. It is not free standing and I would not call it couple friendly. Check out the some of the others mentioned here and in the gear forums for the pros and cons of each.

April can be wet/muddy in MA. It depends on how long the snow cover lasts and how wet the early spring is. I have not hiked VA, so I will leave that to others to comment on.

Tin Man
01-26-2006, 21:31
I use a North Face Clip Flashlight CD, which is ok but I would not recommend it. It is not free standing and I would not call it couple friendly. Check out the some of the others mentioned here and in the gear forums for the pros and cons of each.

April can be wet/muddy in MA. It depends on how long the snow cover lasts and how wet the early spring is. I have not hiked VA, so I will leave that to others to comment on.

I meant to say Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight CD tent

BW2006
01-26-2006, 21:46
I have the MSR Hubba and it's a great tent for one. It's very spacious inside even though it is narrow. i'm very happy with it. The Hubba Hubba would be perfect for two.Lightweight, freestanding and a quick easy setup. It takes me 2 minutes and 15 seconds to pitch the Hubba. That's quick!

map man
01-26-2006, 21:57
The part of the AT that goes through Shenandoah National Park (in the northern part of the state) has the reputation for being the least rugged in Virginia. Also, it's all under 4000 feet in elevation so the chances of getting spring snows there are less than in other, higher parts of the southern Appalachians. There are some restaurants and lodges in the park, although some of them may be closed at that time of year (I'm not sure). And Skyline Drive is ALWAYS nearby if you run into any difficulties. And though the park can be crowded at certain times of the year, in April that's not likely to be a problem.

Nearly Normal
01-26-2006, 23:13
Look at SD hyperlight.
It's not the lightest but it is very good tent for 2 to split the load.
Pete

JimSproul
01-26-2006, 23:17
I have a tent you can use if you like, that way you will have ome idea of what might work. Send me a PM if interested.

minnesotasmith
01-26-2006, 23:21
A Henry Shires tarptent, such as the
Squall 2 or Cloudburst 2, weighing in at 1# 14 oz. and 2#, respectively. I have his one-man Virga 2, and I'm pleased with it.

http://www.tarptent.com/

http://www.tarptent.com/products.html

maxNcathy
01-27-2006, 11:10
Thanks for your suggestions. I checked each one out.

Now I am wondering if tent sites are at each shelter.

Would it be wise to get a slim tent with one entrance or would a tent with two side vestibules having a total width of 10 feet be a problem at many shelters or camping sites?

Thanks, Max

maxNcathy
01-27-2006, 11:18
I have a tent you can use if you like, that way you will have ome idea of what might work. Send me a PM if interested.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your offer. I would not borrow anyone's tent because with my luck I would ruin it somehow...rip, burn,bear attack,son's taking it when not looking...

Keep well, Max

maxNcathy
01-28-2006, 14:19
Update:

I ordered a tent a few minutes ago from REI Outlet.

The 05 half Dome is on sale for $99 from $169 so I bought one.I just hope it is a good tent. I like the idea of have roof vents in the fly. Some others I checked did not have this feature.

Who knows when the rhodedendrons are blooming in central Virginia?

Max