PDA

View Full Version : Warmer pad warmer bag

Cheyou
03-16-2017, 08:08
Over on BPL I read that EN sleeping bag temp ratings they use a R4+ pad for the test. Some 30° bags are EN rated in the 20s° Because the pad being so warm . If you use a R2.5 foam pad may b only 30° or less. I wonder how much warmer a 30° quilt is with a R5.7 compared to a R2.5 Ridgerest ?

Thom

Venchka
03-16-2017, 09:49
I can confirm that a WM 20 degree bag with a 16 degree EN Lower Limit rating was comfy inside a Hubba Hubba NX on top of an R-5.7 Xtherm with the usual jammies associated with lows in that range.
The EN test rules are online. The Cliffs Notes version: mid 20s age subject in long underwear on an R-5 pad.
By the way. I use the Xtherm year round for it's comfort. It is not hot in the summer. Something like a Zlite on top of the Xtherm would be nice on frozen ground or snow.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandy of PA
03-16-2017, 10:12
A 30 degree quilt for me(female) on a R2.5 Ridgerest will only work down to 45 degrees. The pad is crucial, I too use an X-Therm for spring and fall.
The ground will suck the heat out of you.

Cheyou
03-16-2017, 11:52
A 30 degree quilt for me(female) on a R2.5 Ridgerest will only work down to 45 degrees. The pad is crucial, I too use an X-Therm for spring and fall.
The ground will suck the heat out of you.

yah I use the xtherm year round . I'm to spoiled for a foam pad :0) and they take up to much space.

thom

Hikingjim
03-16-2017, 12:07
No doubt. 3.3 r value and 20 quilt gets me to around 30 (with standard other layers/beanie)

Adding my thin ccf makes a big difference below freezing

LIhikers
03-19-2017, 21:24
I use a Neoair All Season pad.
I remember the R rating as being a little under 5 and it works well with a Montbell bag for 3 season use and a Western Mountaineering bag for winter use.
Getting a good night's sleep makes any hiking trip so much more enjoyable.

Venchka
03-19-2017, 21:32
I can confirm that a WM 20 degree bag with a 16 degree EN Lower Limit rating was comfy inside a Hubba Hubba NX on top of an R-5.7 Xtherm with the usual jammies associated with lows in that range.
The EN test rules are online. The Cliffs Notes version: mid 20s age subject in long underwear on an R-5 pad.
By the way. I use the Xtherm year round for it's comfort. It is not hot in the summer. Something like a Zlite on top of the Xtherm would be nice on frozen ground or snow.
Wayne

I forgot the actual lowest temperature that I have experienced with the Alpinlite.
It was 12 degrees Fahrenheit. I slept very well that night.
Wayne

Bansko
03-20-2017, 13:53
Sleeping pads and R-Value are AT LEAST as important as sleeping bag temperature ratings (whether EN, WM prprietary, or other). Besides keeping me warmer, I've also found that putting a closed cell foam pad under my inflatable protects the inflatable from punctures. I went 2,000 miles with a Gossamer Gear 1/8 inch pad under my Exped inflatable and never had a leak. Coincidence? The GG doubled as a sit pad.

conburn
03-20-2017, 14:15
I agree, r value and temp ratings are both things to consider. Have heard of problems with a perfectly comfy sleep pad that didn't buffer the cold of the ground and radiate heat