PDA

View Full Version : Gainesville,Ga

gregkandis
01-25-2006, 12:02
I'll be arriving by bus, from the north, on a Monday. Along with my gear I'll have my first mail drop and an empty fuel bottle. So can someone please give me directions from the bus stop to the post office and to fuel (white gas) in Gainesville. I'll worry a shuttle to the trail head at Amicalola State Park later.

Thanks - Greg

Dances with Mice
01-25-2006, 12:25
I'll be arriving by bus, from the north, on a Monday. Along with my gear I'll have my first mail drop and an empty fuel bottle. So can someone please give me directions from the bus stop to the post office and to fuel (white gas) in Gainesville. I'll worry a shuttle to the trail head at Amicalola State Park later. Thanks - Greg If the taxi driver at the Gainesville bus station just looks blank when you say "Post Office, please", try "Oficina de Correos, por favor."

For white gas try the words "Ace Hardware".

veteran
01-25-2006, 15:12
ACE Hardware (http://yellowpages.superpages.com/supermaps/mapinit.jsp?LID=0123797137&SRC=msn&STYPE=S&lat=34270469&lng=-83826471&POI1name=Ace+Hardware+CO&POI1lat=034270469&POI1lng=-083826471&streetaddress=1220+Palmour+Drive&city=Gainesville&state=GA&zip=30501&SRC=msn&C=hardware&T=Gainesville&S=GA&OO=1&R=N&MC=1&STYPE=S&F=1&CP=Home+%26+Garden%5EHome+Improvement+%26+Maintena nce%5EHome+Improvement+Stores%5EHardware%5E&MAPWIDTH=640&MAPHEIGHT=480&level=8#Map)

Post Office (http://yellowpages.superpages.com/supermaps/mapinit.jsp?LID=0100911098&STYPE=S&lat=34302861&lng=-83822770&POI1name=Brenau+University+-+Post+Office&POI1lat=034302861&POI1lng=-083822770&streetaddress=204+Boulevard&city=Gainesville&state=GA&zip=30501&C=post+office&L=Gainesville+GA&PS=15&R=N&STYPE=S&MAPWIDTH=640&MAPHEIGHT=480&level=9#Map)

wacocelt
01-25-2006, 15:14
If you contact a shuttler in the area, I'm sure they'de be glad to hit both those locations before sending you off into the woods. Never know until you ask.

Jack Tarlin
01-25-2006, 15:27
Waco's advice is excellent; you'll probably also want to hit a supermarket as well. Better yet, ask/tell your shuttler about this ahead of time, so they'll have a better idea of your needs. If you haven't yet found a shuttler,several are listed in the two main thru-hiking guides, or you can go to the state-by-state shuttler list at www.atconf.org which has many listings for Georgia shuttlers. (You can, of course, take a taxi to Amicalola, but I suspect a shuttle will be cheaper).

sandman
01-25-2006, 15:53
I hooked up with hikerhostel.com served my purpose . sandman

gregkandis
01-25-2006, 18:38
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I should have asked if the PO and fuel are within walking distance from the bus stop. I was just thinking that maybe I wouldn't have to impose further on a shuttler.

Anyway - Plan A was to get a shuttle and Plan B was to take a taxi. So I guess I'll start working on Plan A.

Thanks - Greg

wacocelt
01-25-2006, 18:48
Most shuttlers are hikers themselves or at the very least hiker enthusiasts and more than happy to help someone out, especially someone at the very beginning of thier AT experience. Good luck with everything. Happy hiking, be well.

Puck

Skidsteer
01-25-2006, 18:50
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I should have asked if the PO and fuel are within walking distance from the bus stop. I was just thinking that maybe I wouldn't have to impose further on a shuttler.

Anyway - Plan A was to get a shuttle and Plan B was to take a taxi. So I guess I'll start working on Plan A.

Thanks - Greg

Although I live in the area, I can't remember where the bus station is. If it's close to downtown, you may be in luck. Satterfield's hunting store is about as downtown as you can get for the white gas, and the post office is perhaps a five minute walk from Satterfield's. Just ask any shop owner in the downtown area and you'll likely get directions to both. Luck!

general
01-25-2006, 18:57
Although I live in the area, I can't remember where the bus station is. If it's close to downtown, you may be in luck. Satterfield's hunting store is about as downtown as you can get for the white gas, and the post office is perhaps a five minute walk from Satterfield's. Just ask any shop owner in the downtown area and you'll likely get directions to both. Luck!

i think satterfield's closed.

Skidsteer
01-25-2006, 19:08
i think satterfield's closed.

No s!!t? Wow, I have been traveling too much.

halibut15
01-25-2006, 21:43
Good luck getting a taxi driver to understand the words "white gas" also, much less why you want to go to the woods...you'll understand once you catch a cab what I mean.

Skidsteer
01-25-2006, 21:58
Good luck getting a taxi driver to understand the words "white gas" also, much less why you want to go to the woods...you'll understand once you catch a cab what I mean.

"Gasolina blanca por mi estufa chiquito, por favor. Esta para caminando con mochila en las montanas por que yo soy muy tonto!

Or just ask your amigo to take you to wal-mart. Guaranteed name recognition.

general
01-25-2006, 21:59
No s!!t? Wow, I have been traveling too much.

i know for sure that old man satterfield retired. that's the end of an era in gainesville. however, my dad just informed me that it's still there, called schuler's now. they still have fuel, some camping stuff, some fishing stuff, and a s**t load of weapons. it should still be a viable resource for the hiker coming into the bus/train station.

sorry about the misinformation.

skidsteer,
where the hell do you live around skitts mountain? i live on the hooch near mossy creek. s**t we're neighbors. come on over for some vittles some time.

Skidsteer
01-25-2006, 22:05
i know for sure that old man satterfield retired. that's the end of an era in gainesville. however, my dad just informed me that it's still there, called schuler's now. they still have fuel, some camping stuff, some fishing stuff, and a s**t load of weapons. it should still be a viable resource for the hiker coming into the bus/train station.

sorry about the misinformation.

skidsteer,
where the hell do you live around skitts mountain? i live on the hooch near mossy creek. s**t we're neighbors. come on over for some vittles some time.

Ah yes, Schulers aka Schuler's deer cooler and gun store. They'll keep it going for generations to come, I bet.

General, it sounds like I can't be more than 2 miles from you; corner of New Bridge and Skitt's Mountain rd. Mossy Creek is the rear border of our property! :D

geomapper
01-25-2006, 22:46
Have you determined the date you will be arriving in Gainesville?

tiamalle
01-26-2006, 00:01

Thanks - GregGreg the post office is north of the bus station about 5 blocks on Boulevard St.by the college. [email protected] Adam McKinney has a shuttle or hiker Hostal and Others are there.Those taxi's
are a bunch of dopes who don't know where they're at,don't speak english and will rip you off for about $60 to $75 to Amicacola.I've saw one of those Gainesville cabbies drunk on the job one day while in Dahlonega asking a
border brother where Springer Mtn is and the border buddy didn't have a clue. I speak spanish and gave him directions,but asking the hikers if they wanted me to drive them there.They said no,they paid el minso aqui $70.
desde el estacion de altabous en gainesville.35 miles for $70. is $2. per mile
with a drunk.:bse

veteran
01-26-2006, 00:31
Gainesville Bus Station Map (http://yellowpages.superpages.com/supermaps/mapinit.jsp?LID=0106802035&STYPE=S&lat=34293886&lng=-83816291&POI1name=Gainesville+Bus+Station&POI1lat=034293886&POI1lng=-083816291&streetaddress=1780+Martin+Luther+King+J&city=Gainesville&state=GA&zip=30501&C=bus+station&L=Gainesville+GA&OO=1&MC=1&STYPE=S&F=1&CP=Travel+%26+Transportation%5EBus+Travel&MAPWIDTH=640&MAPHEIGHT=480&map.x=320&map.y=240&level=9#Map)

general
01-26-2006, 09:36
Ah yes, Schulers aka Schuler's deer cooler and gun store. They'll keep it going for generations to come, I bet.

General, it sounds like I can't be more than 2 miles from you; corner of New Bridge and Skitt's Mountain rd. Mossy Creek is the rear border of our property! :D

i live down ricky west road, a couple of miles on the other side of mossy creek, off of new bridge road.

Skidsteer
01-29-2006, 10:24
i live down ricky west road, a couple of miles on the other side of mossy creek, off of new bridge road.

I clocked the distance-1.4 miles from corner of Ricky West/New Bridge to my driveway( Excelsior ). Yep, we're definitely neighbors! Can you say shuttle possibilities?

Small world, isn't it?