PDA

View Full Version : not good

Lone Wolf
03-17-2017, 07:47
http://www.mcall.com/news/local/police/mc-hawk-mountain-search-and-rescue-20170316-story.html

imscotty
03-17-2017, 07:55
Wow,

"He was trying to start a fire and ended up grabbing the wrong thing out of his backpack," said Ethan Kunkel, deputy chief of the Kempton Fire Company. "What he grabbed was an explosive and it blew his hand off."

The only thing I can think of that would be this explosive would be a pressurized fuel canister. Even in the dark that would be a funny thing to mistakenly put in your fire. I am not sure I understand how this happened. I wish this hiker a speedy recovery.

H I T C H
03-17-2017, 07:56
Bear banger? What other form of explosive might he have had?

Hitch

bigcranky
03-17-2017, 08:00
This story leaves me with a LOT of questions. Hope he's ok in the long run.

Uncle Joe
03-17-2017, 08:19
Yeah it does. Some where speculating he grabbed his canister. It also says he was alone. Wouldn't it be odd to be at Hawk Mtn Shelter alone this time of year? Perhaps he was camping in a camp spot and was "alone" at his camp. Lots of questions but ultimately, let's hope he's okay.

Uncle Joe
03-17-2017, 08:35
Yeah it does. Some where speculating he grabbed his canister. It also says he was alone. Wouldn't it be odd to be at Hawk Mtn Shelter alone this time of year? Perhaps he was camping in a camp spot and was "alone" at his camp. Lots of questions but ultimately, let's hope he's okay.

Ah this was in PA, not Hawk Mtn Shelter in GA. My bad. I hadn't heard of Hawk Mtn Sanctuary.

Ktaadn
03-17-2017, 08:56
Is it possible that he was hiking with firecrackers? Do people do that?

chknfngrs
03-17-2017, 08:56
Black powder?

MuddyWaters
03-17-2017, 09:03
Got to be more to story...

Good luck to the individual

Sarcasm the elf
03-17-2017, 09:25
Wow,

"He was trying to start a fire and ended up grabbing the wrong thing out of his backpack," said Ethan Kunkel, deputy chief of the Kempton Fire Company. "What he grabbed was an explosive and it blew his hand off."

The only thing I can think of that would be this explosive would be a pressurized fuel canister. Even in the dark that would be a funny thing to mistakenly put in your fire. I am not sure I understand how this happened. I wish this hiker a speedy recovery.

Fuel canisters are pressurized gas, when they rupture from heat they do not truely explode but instead cause a BLEVE, that doesn't seem consistant with the injuries reported, as there would likely be severe burns.

Black powder?

Someone online stated that black powder was mentioned in the radio traffic during the initial dispatch, but that doesn't make a lot of sense either unless it was packed. This is probably going to be one of those stories that won't be clear until the results of the investigation are released.

Alligator
03-17-2017, 09:34
Sounds like he might have had an m80. Maybe packed in near his firestarter. Just a guess.

Would have been a great place to have a sked. That's not mispelled. Pontoon was a good idea, maybe even a child's sled could have worked too.

Sincerest appreciation for the rescuers.

Dogwood
03-17-2017, 09:50
Bear banger? What other form of explosive might he have had?

Hitch

This story leaves me with a LOT of questions. Hope he's ok in the long run.

My thought too. What does this mean?: "He was trying to start a fire and ended up grabbing the wrong thing out of his backpack," said Ethan Kunkel, deputy chief of the Kempton Fire Company. "What he grabbed was an explosive and it blew his hand off."

What explosive was he carrying? From the article it seems it was not a lighter or canister. Explosives on the AT? :confused: More bear paranoia with humans resorting to explosives to address it?

chknfngrs
03-17-2017, 09:56
http://www.readingeagle.com/news/article/hiker-loses-hand-while-starting-campfire-on-appalachian-trail-in-berks-county&template=mobileart

rocketsocks
03-17-2017, 10:02
Is it possible that he was hiking with firecrackers? Do people do that?a standard fire cracker wounld have enough energy to do that, In my best WBCSI I'm thinking something larger and home made out of say a industrial thick walled tolet paper tube about the size of a bic lighter. Man, talk about right outta the gate!

peakbagger
03-17-2017, 10:02
Hope he is okay, starting to look like honorable mention Darwin Award.

rocketsocks
03-17-2017, 10:05
http://www.readingeagle.com/news/article/hiker-loses-hand-while-starting-campfire-on-appalachian-trail-in-berks-county&template=mobilearthad to be the container that blew up.

BuckeyeBill
03-17-2017, 10:18
Black powder works entirely different than Gun powder (Smokeless Powder). It is still used for antique firearms. When black powder is ignited it burns at a high rate and if there is a pile, that would result in an explosion bad enough to such damage as blowing your off.

saltysack
03-17-2017, 10:37
Maybe trying to start fire with his canister stove.....I hope he's right handed....poor bastard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

earlyriser26
03-17-2017, 10:55
My guess is a homemade firework. I once made fireworks and it is very easy to make "flash" which is used in firecrackers. You could easily make one that would blow your hand off. All you have to do is mix two chemicals together.

DanTaylor
03-17-2017, 11:09
http://www.readingeagle.com/news/article/hiker-loses-hand-while-starting-campfire-on-appalachian-trail-in-berks-county&template=mobileart

As a retired paramedic, it never ceases to amaze me at the level of stupidity out there.

Berserker
03-17-2017, 12:39
First off, this sounds terrible and I wish the hiker a speedy recovery.

With that out of the way...where's the still...you know something funky was going on there...oh yeah, I guess it's not really "moon shining" season yet.

Berserker
03-17-2017, 12:46
Ohhhhhh, it was black powder. This reminds me of this one time when my previous neighbor was starting a camp fire in her backyard. First off a bit of back ground. This lady had done many, how should we put this, things that had not been thought through. So anyway, my wife and I are on our patio watching this. She gives her kids (fairly young) a gas can and some matches, and then disappears into the house. There was another adult there, but she was so engulfed in her phone that she may as well not have been there. So the kids of course start screwing around with the gas and matches. There were several tense minutes for my wife and I as we were just waiting for something to happen where we'd have to intervene. The lady finally showed back up, and things had not yet escalated. I let out a big sigh of relief and went on with my evening.

MuddyWaters
03-17-2017, 13:05
To generate an explosion, seems he would have needed to have a container capable of containing pressure, an ignite bp in container, such as if pouring it onto a lit fire.

A small pile in open might go whuff, but dont seem like it could blow hand off.

And what kind of person uses black powder for a campfire...at 1030pm? Thats the time you put them out..

Heres your sign.....

Wishes for a speedy recovery nontheless
Still sounds like the whole story isnt there to me

rocketsocks
03-17-2017, 13:26
Black powder works entirely different than Gun powder (Smokeless Powder). It is still used for antique firearms. When black powder is ignited it burns at a high rate and if there is a pile, that would result in an explosion bad enough to such damage as blowing your off.Ive gone through pounds and pounds of bulk powder, he'd need a substantial pile to do that, something about this story smells like rotten eggs.

Maineiac64
03-17-2017, 13:54
Pretty bad situation.

There was also somebody saying that a female hiker near unicoi gap had fallen and broken an ankle and shoulder a couple of days ago and had to be air lifted out.

lbbrown
03-17-2017, 14:21
Sounds like he might have had an m80. Maybe packed in near his firestarter. Just a guess.

Would have been a great place to have a sked. That's not mispelled. Pontoon was a good idea, maybe even a child's sled could have worked too.

Sincerest appreciation for the rescuers.

A plastic canoe ( Old Town 169) woks good for carrying heavy loads in the snow. Mors Kochanski did it all the time at his Bushcraft school.

Kookork
03-17-2017, 14:45
A gas canister would not explode if you somehow open the valve( without a stove attached to it) and ignite the gas that comes out of it. It just burns about an inch from the canister in a torching flame but does not explode. It would explode if you throw it in a hot fire after a while.
There was a traditional coffee shop in Iran which used to put the big gas canisters we have in iran half buried in red hot charcoal to speed up boiling water process ( 50 pounds canister like the orange canister in the attached photo) and to my surprise when I told him it is very dangerous , he told me they have done it for years with no accident.

MisterQ
03-17-2017, 14:49
I do feel bad for this guy and wish him the best, but the title of this thread makes me laugh. Yeah, I suppose blowing off your whole hand in a gunpowder explosion qualifies as one of those "not good" experiences on the trail.

earlyriser26
03-17-2017, 15:08
To generate an explosion, seems he would have needed to have a container capable of containing pressure, an ignite bp in container, such as if pouring it onto a lit fire.

A small pile in open might go whuff, but dont seem like it could blow hand off.

And what kind of person uses black powder for a campfire...at 1030pm? Thats the time you put them out..

Heres your sign.....

Wishes for a speedy recovery nontheless
Still sounds like the whole story isnt there to me
You are correct, black powder does not explode, but burns rapidly. If encased it could cause and explosion. Put a match to pile of black powder and you get a whoosh and may get burned. The only thing that would normally explode when simply in powdered form is "flash", which is made from potassium perchlorate and aluminum powder. The proper aluminum powder is very difficult to obtain. I have some, but since 911 it is very hard to get.

George
03-17-2017, 15:30
black powder still comes in metal cans, flask shape with a screw top, almost always 1 pound

IMO - most likely scenario: fire had died out, going to sprinkle on a little more….

powder contacted an ember, followed the path back inside the the can and wala!

to be added to the "what not to bring on the AT thread":

black powder for fire starter

my normal assumption for events like this: alcohol was involved

George
03-17-2017, 15:34
I do feel bad for this guy and wish him the best, but the title of this thread makes me laugh. Yeah, I suppose blowing off your whole hand in a gunpowder explosion qualifies as one of those "not good" experiences on the trail.

the OP might say " it's just campfire'n "

Grampie
03-17-2017, 16:23
When ever I read a story like this a famous persons, Forest Gump, comes to mind. "Stupid is as stupid does." I'm sorry for my jest, if it was a true accident.

Toolshed
03-17-2017, 17:02
This is so freakish and sad to hear about....

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/police/mc-hawk-mountain-search-and-rescue-20170316-story.html

MuddyWaters
03-17-2017, 17:09
Another thread already titled "not good"

Best wishes to the person, but it doesnt sound like good judgement was used, not much freakishness to it.

4eyedbuzzard
03-17-2017, 17:11
Yeah, there's another thread already on this, but he apparently blew his hand up with black powder. :eek: :-? :confused: Note to all: Keep your gunpowder away from your campfire. :rolleyes:

cmoulder
03-17-2017, 17:12
I'd like to see the rest of his gear list.

TexasBob
03-17-2017, 18:29
black powder still comes in metal cans, flask shape with a screw top, almost always 1 pound

IMO - most likely scenario: fire had died out, going to sprinkle on a little more….

to be added to the "what not to bring on the AT thread":

black powder for fire starter

my normal assumption for events like this: alcohol was involved

I believe you have hit the nail on the head. Sad situation. Check this video out to see what may have happened - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXlseclciao The question I want answered is why he had the black powder in the first place.

TTT
03-17-2017, 19:24
I'd like to see the rest of his gear list.

LOL

saltysack
03-17-2017, 19:32
Gotta be a hold my beer and watch this moment! Hope he's ambidextrous.....only kidding poor bastard is lucky to be alive....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SawnieRobertson
03-17-2017, 19:56
It is a terrible thing to lose a hand, especially when combined with losing a long distance backpack. My first guess was a canister of hairspray, but that doesn't make sense. I hope he will be tolerant enough of the less sympathetic posts to join us around this cyber campfire to tell his story. I love hiking and climbing stories, and, of course, we might learn something not to do.

TTT
03-17-2017, 19:58
I've learnt not to hang around certain people at camp fires

gpburdelljr
03-17-2017, 20:00
Ive gone through pounds and pounds of bulk powder, he'd need a substantial pile to do that, something about this story smells like rotten eggs.

Where is Paul Harvey and the "Rest of the Story" when you need him.

rocketsocks
03-17-2017, 20:05
Where is Paul Harvey and the "Rest of the Story" when you need him.Yup, right down to the "good day!"

rocketsocks
03-17-2017, 20:07
It is a terrible thing to lose a hand, especially when combined with losing a long distance backpack. My first guess was a canister of hairspray, but that doesn't make sense. I hope he will be tolerant enough of the less sympathetic posts to join us around this cyber campfire to tell his story. I love hiking and climbing stories, and, of course, we might learn something not to do.I agree, no shame, might actually help someone.

cmoulder
03-17-2017, 20:12
It is a terrible thing to lose a hand, especially when combined with losing a long distance backpack. My first guess was a canister of hairspray, but that doesn't make sense. I hope he will be tolerant enough of the less sympathetic posts to join us around this cyber campfire to tell his story. I love hiking and climbing stories, and, of course, we might learn something not to do.

Clearly you missed the "BLACK POWDER" part.

Wolf - 23000
03-18-2017, 01:47
The incident happen at around 10:20 p.m. The time when almost all hikers are sleeping. There is a winter advisory going on right now. The only reason I can see why he would be up playing with fire is if he got cold. Many new hikers are not experts in their fire building skills and will often through things in they shouldn't to get the fire going. Either that or it could have already been in the fire pit already. Hopefully he will be able to make a speedy recovery.

It will be interesting to see what the investigation fines.

Wolf

BuckeyeBill
03-18-2017, 11:41
I concede to Rocketsocks and Muddy Waters about a pile of black powder alone doing such damage. However, I can't see him pouring black powder from a metal can onto an already lit fire. Black powder is stored in metal cans. If he were holding a metal can, the damage would not be limited to his hand. Shrapnel would have been sent flying in all directions. Both news articles state he was trying to start a fire. I thought about this and believe he had poured out a pile and then tried to light it with a butane style lighter. When the pile flashed, it caused the lighter to explode and limited the injury to just his hand. Just my thoughts. I do wish the gentleman a speedy recovery.

Slo-go'en
03-18-2017, 11:51

Yea, that does sound like the only plausible scenario, the container had to blow up in his hand. But why he had any is a good question. Packing a black powder gun?

Slo-go'en
03-18-2017, 11:59
I concede to Rocketsocks and Muddy Waters about a pile of black powder alone doing such damage. However, I can't see him pouring black powder from a metal can onto an already lit fire. Black powder is stored in metal cans. If he were holding a metal can, the damage would not be limited to his hand. Shrapnel would have been sent flying in all directions. Both news articles state he was trying to start a fire. I thought about this and believe he had poured out a pile and then tried to light it with a butane style lighter. When the pile flashed, it caused the lighter to explode and limited the injury to just his hand. Just my thoughts. I do wish the gentleman a speedy recovery.

hum, good point, but I can't see how the lighter might have exploded. Something had to have blown up in or near his hand to mangle it seriously. Just can't imagine what. Maybe he piled big sticks over the powder, enough to cause a blast.

yaduck9
03-18-2017, 12:30
sounds similar to this incident involving an nfl player

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/watch-jason-pierre-paul-shows-mangled-hand-in-psa-for-fireworks-safety/

ldsailor
03-18-2017, 14:17
I watched a guy start a campfire at an AT shelter last year using a camp stove with a gas canister attached. While I personally thought he was crazy and stepped far back, it did work, and if you think about it, he was just using a flame that otherwise would have heated up some water or other food. The only difference was the stove and flame were horizontal to the ground.

johnnybgood
03-18-2017, 15:06
I'm sure we'll get more to this story soon.
My brother-n- law did something similar to this once by lighting a metal pipe cylinder filled with black powder.
He suffered shrapnel wounds but nothing too serious.

Alligator
03-18-2017, 15:27
Ok folks, let's try to keep the callous comments down. Fellow hiker lost his hand over this. Doesn't make you or the site look good over some of the comments made. It was cold, dark, late, and he may have been unprepared for the cold or tired and cold and made a mistake. It was a bad choice to bring or perhaps a dumb choice if he had it for other intents but lay off the mocking. He's permanently disfigured and partially disabled at this point.

George
03-18-2017, 16:12
makes me want to experiment….

Puddlefish
03-18-2017, 18:09
Ok folks, let's try to keep the callous comments down. Fellow hiker lost his hand over this. Doesn't make you or the site look good over some of the comments made. It was cold, dark, late, and he may have been unprepared for the cold or tired and cold and made a mistake. It was a bad choice to bring or perhaps a dumb choice if he had it for other intents but lay off the mocking. He's permanently disfigured and partially disabled at this point.

I'm all for supporting my fellow hiker. Isn't there a point where we have to self police ourselves, and distance ourselves from the willfully reckless and dangerous among us?

I won't pretend to speak for anyone other than myself, but I don't believe this situation falls into the hike your own hike category where I should be supporting him.

shelb
03-18-2017, 20:40
Could a flare do this? I wondered because a flair might look like a homemade type of firestarter late at night... We have made the firestarters for campfires at home out of toilet paper rolls filled with lint and capped with wax.

TTT
03-19-2017, 10:47
Well said Puddlefish. In essence black powder in a container is a pipebomb

Don H
03-20-2017, 08:38
Apparently this was no campfire starting accident.

"the 34-year-old hiker from Exton was injured Wednesday when he grabbed an explosive in his backpack, and it went off."

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/03/hiker_on_appalachian_trail_los.html

rocketsocks
03-20-2017, 09:01
Apparently this was no campfire starting accident.

"the 34-year-old hiker from Exton was injured Wednesday when he grabbed an explosive in his backpack, and it went off."

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/03/hiker_on_appalachian_trail_los.html

thanks for the update, kinda what many figured.

ki0eh
03-20-2017, 09:12
Something about this story still doesn't make any sense. It deserves explanation as a lesson, especially as this story has spread far and wide. I guess we lost our regular posters from "The Green Diamond." Maybe Lauriep or someone from ATC can find a coherent narrative in time.

MuddyWaters
03-20-2017, 10:03
Explosives dont just go off when grabbed either
Needs a means of arming

Do not sound like this was a hiker
More like someone with an agenda

4eyedbuzzard
03-20-2017, 10:32
I'm trying really hard to figure out what any REASONABLE person, who while engaged in the activity of hiking a long distance on the AT, would be carrying that could cause such an event. I don't think this guy should be thrust upon the general hiking community as one of its "members." He's NOT a "fellow hiker."

MuddyWaters
03-20-2017, 10:38
I has sneaky suspicion, he was up to no good.
Maybe its the phony story
Or just common sense

Domestic terrorism?
Scare away AT hikers?
Destroy a shelter?

cmoulder
03-20-2017, 10:43
It's going to end up being something that is either very sinister or very stupid. Maybe he had something he wanted to 'test' out in a very secluded area.

But the guy is minus a hand so probably not fabricated for kicks or clicks.

Alligator
03-20-2017, 12:07
I'm all for supporting my fellow hiker. Isn't there a point where we have to self police ourselves, and distance ourselves from the willfully reckless and dangerous among us?

I won't pretend to speak for anyone other than myself, but I don't believe this situation falls into the hike your own hike category where I should be supporting him.I did not ask anyone to support him. I asked folks to refrain from the callous and mocking comments as the guy just blew his hand off. There was not enough information to really judge what happened initially.

Some people get on here and act like they never did anything stupid before to endanger themself or someone else. Like they never played with matches, never handled fireworks, never lit a fire in adverse conditions, always put it out 100%, never drove recklessly, etc. A bit hard to believe IMO. Slamming the guy through the keyboard too. Maybe say what you might say if you were in his hospital room. I can help with that part.

I've got a fambily member who did something foolish like this. As a young man, he was drinking and lit an M80 off. They're kind of the next size up from firecracker. He didn't throw it fast enough. We didn't know if he lost has hand immediately before we got to the hospital. I remember getting there and seeing the shame he felt. He only lost half of one finger, lucky really. He did have to learn to write again.

So whether you consider him a hiker or not, he is somebody's husband, father, brother, cousin, and/or friend who just accidentally blew his hand off. Read the beginning of the user agreement and you will perhaps understand what is being asked here regarding keeping the negative comments down. That part needs a bit more saying around here I think.

Ktaadn
03-20-2017, 13:57
I has sneaky suspicion, he was up to no good.
Maybe its the phony story
Or just common sense

Domestic terrorism?
Scare away AT hikers?
Destroy a shelter?
Terrorism? Alone? In the woods? At 10:30? In 18" of snow?

That's not how terrorism works.

MuddyWaters
03-20-2017, 14:16

That's not how terrorism works.

Blowing hand off was never part of any plan.

Regardless of when, where, how it occurred

What we know, is rescuer said there was no sign of trying to light fire per his story.

So .......what else could he be doing, and why, and why fib?

Don H
03-20-2017, 15:17
Makes you wonder what this guy was doing, or planned to do with the explosives in his pack.
And what type of explosive would detonate just by being grabbing it in his pack? That's not an M-80 or pipe bomb, that's something with an electronic or mechanically activated detonator.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-20-2017, 15:38
I did not ask anyone to support him. I asked folks to refrain from the callous and mocking comments as the guy just blew his hand off. There was not enough information to really judge what happened initially.

Some people get on here and act like they never did anything stupid before to endanger themself or someone else. Like they never played with matches, never handled fireworks, never lit a fire in adverse conditions, always put it out 100%, never drove recklessly, etc. A bit hard to believe IMO. Slamming the guy through the keyboard too. Maybe say what you might say if you were in his hospital room. I can help with that part.

I've got a fambily member who did something foolish like this. As a young man, he was drinking and lit an M80 off. They're kind of the next size up from firecracker. He didn't throw it fast enough. We didn't know if he lost has hand immediately before we got to the hospital. I remember getting there and seeing the shame he felt. He only lost half of one finger, lucky really. He did have to learn to write again.

So whether you consider him a hiker or not, he is somebody's husband, father, brother, cousin, and/or friend who just accidentally blew his hand off. Read the beginning of the user agreement and you will perhaps understand what is being asked here regarding keeping the negative comments down. That part needs a bit more saying around here I think.

I saw this article last night and immediately thought about how the Darwin Award would be nominated and how this guy would be torn apart by his "peers". I wasn't expecting compassion and defense (sad that). Thank you, Gator.

Puddlefish
03-20-2017, 15:58
Fair enough, your website, your rules.

Zea
03-20-2017, 21:46
Wow! Sad to see negativity directed toward someone whose entire life just got flipped upside down.

I can see if there was a complete story posted... but varied reports, some that mention the broad term "explosive", hardly mean the man was a radical trail terrorist. With a bomb just big enough to take out a hand...

People carry dumb things into the woods for innocent reasons all the time. Late at night after a full day of hiking, most likely being at a calorie deficit, throw in the cold element, it's very easy to do something thoughtless.

I can't speculate on what he was carrying, but I know I've run into more than a few people on trail packing some "boom". I've heard fireworks in the backcountry before, and oddly have seen more than one person carrying m80's or cherry bombs to "fend off bears." Sure, it's probably not smart(or necessary) to carry certain items, but people do. I've almost done serious damage when I grabbed my knife instead of fork to eat with by accident, that doesn't mean carrying knives is stupid it just means I had a lapse with a piece of equipment I typically handle safely.

Whatever the story ends up being, I hope he recovers well.

ScareBear
03-20-2017, 22:10
Well, it had snowed 18 inches...maybe he thought he needed it for avalanche control?

On a more serious note...he was a local. He was 1/2 mile from the road. He had an explosive device powerful enough to blow his hand off that went off when he grabbed it. There is a common IED that is that unstable...the black powder pipe bomb. Now, what was a local, 1/2 mile from a road, on the AT, at 1030 at night, in 18 inches of snow doing with a pipe bomb????

Nothing good. I've searched for an innocent, yet incredibly Darwin-worthy explanation and have failed. There is none I can see. Especially when the fire guys keep referring to it as an "explosive device". M-80's don't spontaneously go bang. Black powder pipe bombs do go bang spontaneously...

I am betting this "hiker" has been interviewed by ATF by now...possession of an explosive device on USFS land...it is no bueno...insult to injury, if you will...

BuckeyeBill
03-20-2017, 23:04
I am not saying what it exactly was, but what ever it was,had to be small enough to fit in the hand. It also had to be smaller yet to be contained to just damaging his hand. It had to be made of some type of material that would not blow shrapnel in all directions. To me that would eliminate any metal or hard plastic (PVC). Right now it is hard to search for such a device online with out bells and whistles going off at Homeland Security. So I guess to only thing left is to wait out the investigation and see what it reveals. I still wish the gentleman a speedy recovery.

TTT
03-21-2017, 00:12
Here's some irony. As a foreigner wishing to hike the AT, I need to depart through customs, and enter the USA through customs. I'm not permitted to carry a knife, seeds, plants, hiking poles or meat products as these are deemed detrimental to the welfare of passengers and the land of my destination, nor am I permitted to send perfume bottles by airmail as these too are considered dangerous. The penalty is either a fine, a deportation, a confiscation of property, a strip search, or a taser to the head. Having legally passed this test, and on arrival at the trail, I'm confronted by a fellow hiker wielding an explosive device powerful enough to send me back home as a newspaper headline.

Trailweaver
03-21-2017, 01:12
I'm just curious - if he was only a half mile from the road, could he not walk himself out? Too weak from shock? Blood loss? I wonder if he was able to apply a tourniquet before help arrived. Half mile doesn't seem too far, but under the snow circumstances & shock, maybe it was.

Also - was there a tent/shelter? If so, we all pretty much know the quickest way to get warm is to get in it, in your bag, & "hunker down." Why was he "trying to light a fire?"

Im sorry for his injury, but it does sound like a fishy story.

ScareBear
03-21-2017, 06:26
Here's some irony. As a foreigner wishing to hike the AT, I need to depart through customs, and enter the USA through customs. I'm not permitted to carry a knife, seeds, plants, hiking poles or meat products as these are deemed detrimental to the welfare of passengers and the land of my destination, nor am I permitted to send perfume bottles by airmail as these too are considered dangerous. The penalty is either a fine, a deportation, a confiscation of property, a strip search, or a taser to the head. Having legally passed this test, and on arrival at the trail, I'm confronted by a fellow hiker wielding an explosive device powerful enough to send me back home as a newspaper headline.

Meh. That's nothing. You'll be confronted with hikers armed with .44magnums and 10mm's...how's that grab ya?

Don H
03-21-2017, 08:09

Well that was dramatic.

4eyedbuzzard
03-21-2017, 08:32
Here's some irony. As a foreigner wishing to hike the AT, I need to depart through customs, and enter the USA through customs. I'm not permitted to carry a knife, seeds, plants, hiking poles or meat products as these are deemed detrimental to the welfare of passengers and the land of my destination, nor am I permitted to send perfume bottles by airmail as these too are considered dangerous. The penalty is either a fine, a deportation, a confiscation of property, a strip search, or a taser to the head. Having legally passed this test, and on arrival at the trail, I'm confronted by a fellow hiker wielding an explosive device powerful enough to send me back home as a newspaper headline.The reality of course is that the most dangerous things you'll likely encounter here are automobiles and deer ticks.

Sarcasm the elf
03-21-2017, 09:23
The reality of course is that the most dangerous things you'll likely encounter here are automobiles and deer ticks.

Correct.

Now lets be thankful that deer ticks haven't learned to drive cars.

rocketsocks
03-21-2017, 11:21
Here's some irony. As a foreigner wishing to hike the AT, I need to depart through customs, and enter the USA through customs. I'm not permitted to carry a knife, seeds, plants, hiking poles or meat products as these are deemed detrimental to the welfare of passengers and the land of my destination, nor am I permitted to send perfume bottles by airmail as these too are considered dangerous. The penalty is either a fine, a deportation, a confiscation of property, a strip search, or a taser to the head. Having legally passed this test, and on arrival at the trail, I'm confronted by a fellow hiker wielding an explosive device powerful enough to send me back home as a newspaper headline.well I'm kinda thinking the same would be true if I were headin' your way...no?

Sarcasm the elf
03-21-2017, 11:31

I'm not sure that's really a valid comparison given that my toenail clippers and smart water bottle are also
considered far too dangerous to make it through security and customs. In regards to dangerous objects, the canister from my isobutane stove and the chemicals in my water purification kit also have more than enough power to kill me if used incorrectly.

MuddyWaters
03-21-2017, 12:23

No worries
I dont think any hiker murdered on or near the AT yet has been foreign. Odds are with you

But...theres a first time for everything

rocketsocks
03-21-2017, 12:32

That's not how terrorism works.I have a family member who told me Timothy Mcviegh and Terry Nichols did some testing in a remote location before they blew up the FBI building in Oklahoma City.

TTT
03-21-2017, 12:47
Wasn't Ted Kaczynski, the Unabomber, also an avid hiker who lived in the woods? (I'm beginning to see why people take their dogs along with them)

rocketsocks
03-21-2017, 13:09
Wasn't Ted Kaczynski, the Unabomber, also an avid hiker who lived in the woods? (I'm beginning to see why people take their dogs along with them)and...Nope, I'm not gonna say it, nope, not gonna do it, doh...guns.

4eyedbuzzard
03-21-2017, 13:13
Wasn't Ted Kaczynski, the Unabomber, also an avid hiker who lived in the woods? (I'm beginning to see why people take their dogs along with them)

Don't worry about terrorists. Terrorists are after more than kust killing some unknown hiker. All of the 11 or so AT and AT related murders were committed by common lowlife types with varying degrees of nut case pathologies.

Sarcasm the elf
03-21-2017, 13:14

Know what else lives in the woods and likes to hike? Trolls. :p:D

rocketsocks
03-21-2017, 13:17
Don't worry about terrorists. Terrorists are after more than kust killing some unknown hiker. All of the 11 or so AT and AT related murders were committed by common lowlife types with varying degrees of nut case pathologies.yup, unless you come across one tinkering with their wares.

TTT
03-21-2017, 13:19
* As a precaution I've decided to discard my sleeping bag and water bottles and replace them with a half brick wrapped up in a sock and a pair of nunchucks.

Don H
03-21-2017, 14:15
TTT,
I did a little research on your home town of Pietermaritzburg, SA. You should be quite comfortable on the AT. In fact, you would probably be right at home in any large US city such as Chicago or Baltimore. According to the article linked below South Africa is rated the third most dangerous country in the world and Pietermaritzburg is the rates as the most dangerous city in South Africa.

I suggest you leave your sock and brick, nunchucks and drama home.

https://businesstech.co.za/news/general/120915/south-africas-most-dangerous-cities-to-live-in/

TTT
03-21-2017, 16:24
That article is totally incorrect. Nobody bothers reporting crime anymore as the police and law courts are so inefficient, so South Africa should be placed first on the list and not third. As an indicator, the guy who sold me some gear had his boots stolen in the middle of the night from a remote cave in the middle of nowhere. Dramatic effect is good. Conflict keeps you turning the page.

ScareBear
03-21-2017, 18:30
That article is totally incorrect. Nobody bothers reporting crime anymore as the police and law courts are so inefficient, so South Africa should be placed first on the list and not third. As an indicator, the guy who sold me some gear had his boots stolen in the middle of the night from a remote cave in the middle of nowhere. Dramatic effect is good. Conflict keeps you turning the page.

Right. And you are worried about the AT?

Seriously, you should be more concerned about hikers with pistols. Although, I did see one dude packing a 12gauge. I asked him if he was loaded for bear. He didn't like the question. It wasn't bear season...

Although, I am certain some idjit will bring a flare pistol and ignite a shelter some day...surprised it hasn't happened already...

rickb
03-21-2017, 19:00
No worries
I dont think any hiker murdered on or near the AT yet has been foreign.

Louise Chaput was murdered in Pinkham Notch along the Glen Bolder Trail -- just across the road from where the AT heads up Wildcat.

She was from Quebec, Canada.

ScareBear
03-21-2017, 19:17
Louise Chaput was murdered in Pinkham Notch along the Glen Bolder Trail -- just across the road from where the AT heads up Wildcat.

She was from Quebec, Canada.

Wait. Canadians are foreign? No way. They speak English.....and...William Shatner....and....Mike Myers...and...Dan Akroyd.....they aint no furriners....

Don H
03-22-2017, 07:57
Although, I am certain some idjit will bring a flare pistol and ignite a shelter some day.

Thanks ScareBear, now I'll have this song in my head all day :eek:
But some stupid with a flare gun
Burned the place to the ground

Smoke on the water, a fire in the sky

Don H
03-22-2017, 08:05
Seriously TTT this is what you need to worry about on the AT, in order of importance:

1. Over use injuries from not being physically prepared.
2. Ticks and Lyme Disease
3. Mice at shelters chewing you gear and getting into your food.
4. Norovirus, most prevalent during peak thru-hiker season.
5. Someone stealing your unattended pack.