PDA

View Full Version : Greyhound -- riding the dog

John B
03-17-2017, 14:53
I did a keyword search and found plenty of threads hating on Greyhound. I want to add one more.

Yesterday I took a friend to the Greyhound station in Lexington, KY, to catch a bus to Knoxville. From there she'd arranged a ride to North Carolina to start hiking.

She checked their webpage and it was $28 for a one-way. Not bad -- 3 hrs, nonstop, decent price. Departs at 2:30, arrives Knoxville at 5:40.

But for whatever reason, their website wasn't functioning for ticket purchasing. No problem, just purchase a ticket at the station.

The price at the station was $70. Why the huge difference? 'Cause buying tickets from their site gives a discount. But the site wasn't working? Sorry, you wanna ride, you gotta pay $70.

OK. Here's the credit card. Sorry. Credit card lines are down. Cash only.

Bus broke down about 30 min. north of Knoxville. Sat on the roadside until 10ish, whereupon the next Lexington-Knoxville bus pulled over, and the passengers caught that one for the rest of the trip.

Got to Knoxville about 11pm.

Beware of riding the dog 'cause even a cursory search will show that chances are the dog's going to ride you.

Just sayin'.

P.S. While waiting for her bus to depart from the station, I got hit up three times in twenty minutes by doper-beggers wanting money. Great place, really.

George
03-17-2017, 15:02
completely normal greyhound experience - next time try megabus

Old Grouse
03-17-2017, 15:34
We had motor trouble it turned into a struggle,
Half way 'cross Alabam,
And that 'hound broke down and left us all stranded
In downtown Birmingham.

Chuck Berry - "Promised Land"

Dogwood
03-17-2017, 17:02
I've rode The Dog many times north(Canada) to south(Mexico) and east coast to west coast. I thought I recalled booking a Dog fare on the WEB states it's a WEB Fare Price? Many stores do this so The Dog shouldn't be singled out for this policy.

What you may have issue with and possible refund is if the GHound WEB site was down when you wished to book your ticket and the buying the fare at the station price was different than the WEB Only fare. I'm guessing though if you take this up with Ghound they'll say why didn't you call to book your fare. Two times in my many booked GHound fares the WEB site was down but when I called the GHound Rep operator I got the listed WEB Fare price. It wasn't a long wait either. Most of the personal call booking the fare at the WEB reduced price was done with an electronic operator.

I'm sure many of us could go down a long list of considerations, "how to's", what not to do, and complaints of what we've experienced on The Dog.

Agree Mega Bus can be a faster cleaner more Express Commuter limited stops option. It can also be less expensive. For instance I did a $29 one way $68 RT from Atlanta to NYC and back. Downfall with Mega Bus is it has a fraction of the stops of GHound.

Slo-go'en
03-17-2017, 19:49
That's why I book my ride at least 2 weeks in advance, which gives the best rate. Last minute is never a good idea. I guess I've been lucky, I've taken many a ride on the dog and never had an issue. It helps I've never traveled during or through bad weather too.

Dogwood
03-17-2017, 20:06
That's why I book my ride at least 2 weeks in advance, which gives the best rate. Last minute is never a good idea. I guess I've been lucky,...

Not luck. Better than last minute planning with The Dog for better rate and to avoid last minute complications. :cool:

Dogwood
03-17-2017, 20:38
I did a keyword search and found plenty of threads hating on Greyhound. I want to add one more.

Yesterday I took a friend to the Greyhound station in Lexington, KY, to catch a bus to Knoxville.

The price at the station was $70. Why the huge difference? 'Cause buying tickets from their site gives a discount. But the site wasn't working? Sorry, you wanna ride, you gotta pay $70.

OK. Here's the credit card. Sorry. Credit card lines are down. Cash only.

Bus broke down about 30 min. north of Knoxville. Sat on the roadside until 10ish, whereupon the next Lexington-Knoxville bus pulled over, and the passengers caught that one for the rest of the trip.

Got to Knoxville about 11pm.

Beware of riding the dog 'cause even a cursory search will show that chances are the dog's going to ride you.

Just sayin'.

P.S. While waiting for her bus to depart from the station, I got hit up three times in twenty minutes by doper-beggers wanting money. Great place, really.

I've been through the Lexington KY GHound Station. It's not a terribly bad(drug dealing, prostitution, robbery) area. Late at night walking away from GHound stations is generally not a wise idea. A couple blocks away from the Kville GHound Station I observed some unsavory dealings occurring. Same with Atlanta and...and...and...Most Ghound Stations have Local Police Dept substations inside or very nearby.

Theft is common at traveling locations. Robbery of travelers is common. It stands to reason. Travelers will not likely be returning to witness. In London on The Tube immediately exiting the train you're faced with signs bewaring of pickpockets and to secure valuables. Travelers reading the sign immediately check their wallets, cameras, handbags, credit cards, passports, jewelry, etc thereby locating where they are under the watchful eyes of the unscrupulous thieves who are well informed of human behavior.

Should not have to be said but be weary of 'transactions', 'companionship', flash money, or engage in or take unaware strolls around GHound Stations, particularly at night. Inside Ghound Stations across the country take a hard stand against panhandlers 'conducting biz' and the homeless homesteading. Without proof of a paid fare in Ghounds, AP's, and Amtrak Stations you're asked to leave. Just happened to me in Portland Int AP expecting to pick up my flight info, checking in, and paid fare proof in the morning. Fortunately, I was able to get my confirmation # over the ph to avert being removed for a 6 am flight and print out proof at the AP.

Avoid Fri and Sat night GHound travel. Avoid LONG bus rides pre hike when expecting to hit the TH immediately. If you have transfers or a longish layover on a fare make sure to ascertain the departing door and get in line EARLY. Sometimes, even if you've already paid and gotten off for a layover if you don't get back on - because GHound sometimes overbooks seats - which is why they offer a higher priced fare guaranteeing a seat at a transfer - you'll be stuck there until the next bus comes through which might be many hrs later. This happened to me traveling Ghound from Newark NJ to Atlanta for an AT NOBO. I got stuck at the Richmond GHound station overnight and the station closed dropping my arse with a 55lb pack to wander the streets all night eventually finding a spot to sleep in Arthur Ashe Stadium down the road.

Dogwood
03-17-2017, 20:41
On Mega Bus even with long trips, say from Atlanta to NYC, there are no transfers. Less stops. Mostly newer buses. Mega Bus, in my experiences, is typically more on time departing and arriving as well.

troubletrev
03-17-2017, 21:52
Can't speak on the efficiency of other stations, only from my experience. I had no problems. Rode from Atlanta to Gainsville to get to the trailhead this past summer. Purchased my ticket weeks in advance. Only potential problem I encountered was the protection of belongings. You'll come across some shady characters. Be accountable for your gear. Otherwise, had a decent experience.

hikeandbike5
03-18-2017, 01:33
it's called the dirty dog for a reason.

John B
03-18-2017, 06:21
I've been through the Lexington KY GHound Station. It's not a terribly bad(drug dealing, prostitution, robbery) area....

We only have one Hound station, and it is located in the highest crime neighborhood in Lexington. It's not downtown Memphis-rough, but for small-town KY, it's bad -- riddled with dope and all of the associated crime. Directly next to the bus station is a stripper bar. It's not a nice area. All that said, next time my pal wants to go hiking, I'm giving her a ride. No more Greyhound for us.

LongBlaze2019
03-18-2017, 08:53
I have used Greyhound several times over the past 20 years and have never had a problem.
Sure some stations and areas are a bit shady like Lexington KY or Columbia SC but I've never been robbed. My Greyhounddays are mostly behind me. I plan on riding "the dog" to Georgia when I start my thru attemptin 2019.

garlic08
03-18-2017, 09:03
Love the stories. Last time for me, got out of the desert in Tucson after a few days of desert hiking. Kept waiting for the scary smelly guy to sit down next to me but I was alone the whole trip. Then I realized I was the scary smelly guy.

rafe
03-18-2017, 09:23
I've mostly managed to avoid Greyhound so far. But mostly good experiences with Amtrak.

Cathy I said as we boarded a Greyhound in Pittsburgh
Michigan seems like a dream to me now...

RangerZ
03-18-2017, 09:39
Well put, Simon. But don't knock the Burgh.

left52side
03-18-2017, 09:43
Knocks on wood,,,, Luckily I suppose for me I have never had A problem on greyhound or megabus for that matter and have rode both for many years to all four corners of america.
I actually dont mind meeting the nuttos and weirdos at the stops for transfers and hearing everyones stories and etc.
Hell lots of them are probably thinking the same thing about my silly butt.
I always enjoyed the ride and felt I got to see some nice places for A good price without having to worry about wear and tear on A personal vehicle ...
Will be taking the greyhound or megabus to maine to start my SOBO in A couple of months.

rafe
03-18-2017, 10:18
Knocks on wood,,,, Luckily I suppose for me I have never had A problem on greyhound or megabus for that matter and have rode both for many years to all four corners of america.
I actually dont mind meeting the nuttos and weirdos at the stops for transfers and hearing everyones stories and etc.
Hell lots of them are probably thinking the same thing about my silly butt.
I always enjoyed the ride and felt I got to see some nice places for A good price without having to worry about wear and tear on A personal vehicle ...
Will be taking the greyhound or megabus to maine to start my SOBO in A couple of months.

I like the attitude. I've had plenty of adventures on my way to and from section hikes. Getting there is half the fun.

LongBlaze2019
03-18-2017, 10:42
I actually met a guy in Parkersburg WVa several years ago while riding Greyhound who was on his way home off the AT because of an injury. I was on leave and didn't want to drive back Ohio from South Georgia lol
Anyways..... He was a nice kid. He started in March and made it to Pennsylvania before falling and partially tearing his MCL.
He was all rough looking and skinny and I thought "what a lucky SOB" lol

Mother Natures Son
03-18-2017, 10:56
I've rode the Dog more times then i could count. What ever you do, don't ride the dog! This list will tell you many horror stories about folks who have rode Grayhound. I have a couple also but the one that sticks out is they changed the schedule without telling anyone else. Got dumped off at a closed station late at night, in a very seedy neighborhood. The next bus wasn't until the next day. great guys.

Feral Bill
03-18-2017, 12:22
When screwed by Greyhound, go to the Better Business Bureau. Greyhound responds to them. It will never give an individual the slightest consideration.

Dogwood
03-18-2017, 12:46
Wait, did you say a stripper bar is across the street in Lexington? What away to pass the transfer layover.

orthofingers
03-18-2017, 15:05
Just this past Tuesday my flight out of Charlotte, NC was cancelled to Providence because of the snowstorm with no open seats on Wednesday or Thursday to anywhere in the Northeast (NY, Hartford, Providence or Boston) and no hotel rooms in or near Charlotte. So, I caught the Amtrak out of Charlotte at 1:45 am on Wednesday morning. I got to RI at 7:15 pm.

Wow, there were a lot of late night characters in the Charlotte train station. I guess they have a lenient policy because the Amtrak lady went around to everyone sleeping on the benches asking if they were on the train (most were not) but let them go back to sleep.

grubbster
03-18-2017, 15:11
Wait, did you say a stripper bar is across the street in Lexington? What away to pass the transfer layover.

Same side of the street. :D Walmart on the other side.

Old Grouse
03-18-2017, 18:09
I've mostly managed to avoid Greyhound so far. But mostly good experiences with Amtrak.

Cathy I said as we boarded a Greyhound in Pittsburgh
Michigan seems like a dream to me now...

Ah, a man after me own heart!

rafe
03-18-2017, 19:44
Just this past Tuesday my flight out of Charlotte, NC was cancelled to Providence because of the snowstorm with no open seats on Wednesday or Thursday to anywhere in the Northeast (NY, Hartford, Providence or Boston) and no hotel rooms in or near Charlotte. So, I caught the Amtrak out of Charlotte at 1:45 am on Wednesday morning. I got to RI at 7:15 pm.

Wow, there were a lot of late night characters in the Charlotte train station. I guess they have a lenient policy because the Amtrak lady went around to everyone sleeping on the benches asking if they were on the train (most were not) but let them go back to sleep.

I spent the night at the Providence station once. Tarried too long after a Grateful Dead show and missed the last train back to Boston.

Uncle Cranky
03-19-2017, 00:40
To get a rock bottom discount on Greyhound, order online at least 21 days in advance, for Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, with departure before 10 am. Tickets are discounted as much as 60% off walking up to the counter the day you want to ride. Unlike discount competitors like MegaBus, etc. that mostly cruises the East coast corridor between Boston and D.C. and central NC to Atlanta, Greyhound services all of North America. I get no kickback for promoting the company. I've written and published the only comprehensive public transportation guide to the Appalachian Trail, and have been studying the industry for the past four years.

George
03-19-2017, 07:50

I had a late night layover in Ohio on the greyhound, Cleveland or Columbus??? asked the guard where to go for a drink - the place he gave me directions to was a strip joint - they said I could not bring in my pack but agreed to keep it behind the counter - waived the cover charge - cut it tight returning, but made the bus

egilbe
03-19-2017, 10:01
I've never used Greyhound, but have had nothing but good experiences with concord trailways.

Dogwood
03-19-2017, 11:58
Same side of the street. :D Walmart on the other side.

Wow a Wally World too. That ruins it for the strip club.

One Half
03-19-2017, 12:03
To get a rock bottom discount on Greyhound, order online at least 21 days in advance, for Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, with departure before 10 am. Tickets are discounted as much as 60% off walking up to the counter the day you want to ride. Unlike discount competitors like MegaBus, etc. that mostly cruises the East coast corridor between Boston and D.C. and central NC to Atlanta, Greyhound services all of North America. I get no kickback for promoting the company. I've written and published the only comprehensive public transportation guide to the Appalachian Trail, and have been studying the industry for the past four years.

Where can I get your guide? I would be interested.

One Half
03-19-2017, 12:05
Oh man. Talk about timely. I already bought my ticket to ATL from DAL on the greyhound. My friend then informed me it's not in a "great" part of town. Most of Dallas is "not in a great part of town." LOL. I am going there tomorrow to check out the area. At least my bus leaves in the broad daylight! LOL. But as memory serves, the Boston bus station wasn't all that great either and it never really bothered me.

Uncle Cranky
03-19-2017, 13:09
Where can I get your guide? I would be interested.

Pennypincher -- Thanks for the interest. The title of the guide is Philbrick's Appalachian Trail Transit Guide, it is an Ebook available at Swashwords and Amazon.

Dogwood
03-19-2017, 14:23
Oh man. Talk about timely. I already bought my ticket to ATL from DAL on the greyhound. My friend then informed me it's not in a "great" part of town. Most of Dallas is "not in a great part of town." LOL. I am going there tomorrow to check out the area. At least my bus leaves in the broad daylight! LOL. But as memory serves, the Boston bus station wasn't all that great either and it never really bothered me.

The DFW GH station is not in a bad area. It's a modern station but might close during the wee hrs.

methodman
03-19-2017, 17:12
I have heard some bad things about the bus. how come no one ever mentions taking the train?

LongBlaze2019
03-19-2017, 17:56
I have heard some bad things about the bus. how come no one ever mentions taking the train?
More people have access to the bus.

Cheyou
03-19-2017, 18:28

I've got more more bad train stories then bad bus stories:0) truth is I lived through them all . so they ain't that bad

thom

Coffee
03-19-2017, 18:31
I had a good experience on the hound from Harrisburg PA back to DC. I will say that hanging out in bus terminals isn't fun and to be avoided but the bus itself was clean and on time. I'm planning a combination of train and bus to get to Delaware Water gap later this spring but I think the bus isn't the hound but some local commuter line.

bigcranky
03-19-2017, 21:56
I have had lots of great train rides over the years. Some of the stations have been, er, interesting -- looking at you, Trenton! -- but the train is great. Comfortable, good leg room, you can get up and walk around, and the cafe car has beer. Yeah, it's $7.50 a bottle, but it's beer. Food ain't too bad, too, or bring your own.

Last Amtrak ride I reserved the Business Class car -- well worth the extra $50 per person for a 12 hour train ride. More leg room, car was half full (rest of the train was packed), attendant with free (soft) drinks.

rafe
03-19-2017, 22:04
Almost always good experiences with Amtrak.

Bockus
03-20-2017, 15:26
Because the price is 4 times as much....

Dogwood
03-20-2017, 15:51
I had a late night layover in Ohio on the greyhound, Cleveland or Columbus??? asked the guard where to go for a drink - the place he gave me directions to was a strip joint - they said I could not bring in my pack but agreed to keep it behind the counter - waived the cover charge - cut it tight returning, but made the bus

Cleveland Ghound Station is not a place to walk around outside late night IMO. Three times through there. Twice arrests were being made. All three times searches outside and inside were being conducted and fights between the CPD, drug pushers, prostitutes, and flim flammers(thieves) were observed.

Dogwood
03-20-2017, 15:55

On a train you can get away from sitting in your seat and out of that car.

Vastly more positive experiences taking trains compared to GHound.

Before booking GHound fares in advance to large cities with INT AP's check cheap flights. I've taken cheaper flights and Amtrak rides getting there in a fraction of the time with greater comfort for sometimes a lower fare.

One Half
03-20-2017, 19:09

The one time I took a train, in FL, was a nightmare. Many delays so that "consumer goods" could pass us by. So our train would pull aside at a "pull out" and wait 20-30 minutes for a train loaded with stuff headed for stores could pass. Then, oh lookie! Another train is coming down the track before we can get to the next pull out, so let's just stay here another 20 minutes.

BillyGr
03-20-2017, 19:53
The one time I took a train, in FL, was a nightmare. Many delays so that "consumer goods" could pass us by. So our train would pull aside at a "pull out" and wait 20-30 minutes for a train loaded with stuff headed for stores could pass. Then, oh lookie! Another train is coming down the track before we can get to the next pull out, so let's just stay here another 20 minutes.

The unfortunate side effect of most of the tracks being owned by the freight rail companies, so they get the priority and the passengers have to wait.

But there are some areas where it is better - just depends on where you are going and the setup for that area.

llittle_llama
03-21-2017, 03:20
Hundred dog rides myself. I've seen roaches, sex, needles, and almost a rape all aboard the bus... never again.