PDA

View Full Version : brand new hiker

Gitter bug
01-25-2006, 13:32
my partner is planning on hiking the AT soon. I have not been that interested but don't want to be left out. Any advice on how to get into it? Or is this question too broad?

Ridge
01-25-2006, 13:51
Learn about LNT which means "Leave No Trace" plenty of sites that explain it. Start hiking and hike as often as you can on the hilliest trails you can find. Footwear is one, if not the most critical, item you will need. Start checking it out. Stayed tuned-in to WB for further instructions.

Gray Blazer
01-25-2006, 13:51
I'm assuming your partner is your significant other or better.The best thing to do is get interested in hiking, too, but, that may not be possible. Here are a couple of suggestions.
1. Take them to their starting place and hike with them a little ways or drive to an AT crossing and meet them there and possibly camp for the night.
2. Let them hike for a week or month or so and meet at a Trail Town or crossing. He/she will probably be ready for a night in a hotel with a hot meal and shower. It could get romantic!
3. Well......I'm sure there are lots of other ways. I don't think that is too broad of a question. I'm sure lots of other hikers have experience with this. My last suggestion is to love them, support them and pray for them. Good Luck!

Gray Blazer
01-25-2006, 13:59
I just remembered something else that may or may not be helpful. 3 years ago we met this 70 something guy on the trail AT Wine Spring Bald and he told us that he was section hiking the whole trail. His wife would be in the RV all day sightseeing or antique shopping and would meet him at the next Road Crossing. Sure enough, that night when we were driving back to our free campsite at Standing Indian, we saw the RV parked for the night at Winding Stair Gap, presumably, with the little guy all comfy and cozy inside.

MisterSweetie
01-25-2006, 14:06
I say skip all that for now. Start with this: http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=334185 yes, that's just a link to pictures. Not of the AT, but pictures, anyway. But these are places that hiking will take you. Beautiful, right? If you're filled with awe like I am by these places, use that as motivation.

bfitz
01-25-2006, 14:08
Come to trail days in Damascus and meet a bunch of crazy hikers and hang out with them/us.

Ridge
01-25-2006, 14:10
http://www.peaktopeak.net/tx.html A site to help you get started there in San Antonio area.

Gitter bug
01-25-2006, 14:16
Thanks for the photo link it does look beautiful!

Ridge
01-25-2006, 14:19
Come to trail days in Damascus and meet a bunch of crazy hikers and hang out with them/us.

This may be too much of a culture shock. I go every other year because it takes me that long to recoop. But, it does have a lot of neat happenings and vendors around, might be the thing to do.

REI Recreation Equip Inc 81 miles away is a great place to shop and get tips on the outdoors. www.rei.com (http://www.rei.com)

Austin (http://www.rei.com/stores/austin/index.html)
9901 N Capitol of Texas Hwy
Ste 200
Austin, TX 78759
(512) 343-5550

sliderule
01-25-2006, 14:33
Or have your partner arrange his/her schedule so that he/she is nowhere near Damascus during Trail Days!!!

Gitter bug
01-25-2006, 14:50
thanks for all the info

wacocelt
01-25-2006, 14:57
Make damn sure you want to hike for the sake of hiking and not just so you won't be without your partner for a few months, otherwise you're risking not only ruining both of your hikes, but your relationship as well. I've sen more relationships end on the AT than start there. That said, I wish you the best with both. Be well.

Puck

sliderule
01-25-2006, 15:08
my partner is planning on hiking the AT soon. I have not been that interested but don't want to be left out. Any advice on how to get into it? Or is this question too broad?
The question is too broad. Are you interested in hiking with your partner or getting involved in supporting your partner in his/her hike? What exactly does "get into it" mean?

Gitter bug
01-25-2006, 15:30
I am interested in hiking with him but not on fire about it like him.

neo
01-25-2006, 15:31
welcome to white blaze :cool: neo

Tha Wookie
01-25-2006, 16:38
Your partner is a good influence, I can tell.

Hiking is like walking, but here's the difference:

Walking is when you're going somewhere, and hiking is when you're already there.

what I mean is that hiking, after the given mechanics of walking, is a state of mind.

It is leisure time, for you to open up to the world around you, breathe big breaths of fresh air, and let your mind follow its instincual path.

Many people are so focused on the gear that it bogs them down, and they can't focus on the simplest pleasures of a hike.

Start basic, with just what you need (water, map, compass, comforable shoes, awareness, proper clothing for weather). Then work up from there.

Keep things light and your mind open!

I suggest Ray Jardine's book, Beyond Backpacking.

Fiddler
01-25-2006, 17:12
Here is what I suggest. If you have never been hiking, go for a couple of weekenders where you stay out one night. If that works out ok then go for between a week to 2 weeks. That will give you a small idea of what a longer hike will be like. Are these plans for a section or a thru? That will make a lot of difference as well.

MisterSweetie
01-25-2006, 18:16
Walking is when you're going somewhere, and hiking is when you're already there.Holy crap, that's awesome.

Lion King
01-25-2006, 18:21
What Wook said, plus...

If you are doing this JUST for them, you may be in for a very very unpleasant shock to your system.

The AT can kill, or make Grand any relationship. If you think you know someone, go hike with them, then you will really really know them.

Mayeb you would like to come out every now and then and hike, or maybe you will turn out to really like it, maybe more then your partner.

Do not do it only because they are going, it will strain your relationship like you cant imagine.
It is a stressful undertaking, although rewarding and beautiful, it is a painful excercise, although greatly beneficial in many many ways.

You have to do it because you want to, not because someone youlove is going and you want to join them.

Its a fine line, so think on it, or just buy some s%$t and go. That can work as well.

Footslogger
01-25-2006, 18:34
==============================================
My first question would be ...are you thinking of hiking the entire trail ??

Second question would be ...how experienced of a hiker is your partner ??

Third question would be ...have you seen each other at your worst ??

Personally, I can think of nothing more satisfying than to spend days/weeks/months on the trail with my partner, and already have. That said, we've both hiked a lot and know how to be with each other and at the same time still give each other space.

You can't get it all in books. If you want to join your partner on the hike then I'd suggest you take the plunge and start "walking the walk". Get involved in the pre-hike planning with your partner and show/take active interest.

The rest will happen ...

'Slogger

Gitter bug
01-25-2006, 21:27
we are thinking of doing the whole trail.
my partner is an experienced hiker.
we have seen each other at our very worst and have been together for a long time.
my problem is my partner is very excited about doing this and I am only a little bit excited.
thanks for all the advice!

Gitter bug
01-25-2006, 21:55
1.entire trail
2.he is an experienced hiker
3.we have seen each other at our very worst
I love camping but haven't done much hiking. My problem is that he is very excited about doing this and I am only a little bit excited about it.
Thanks for all the good advice!

Gitter bug
01-25-2006, 21:56
sorry for repeating myself.... my first reply didn't show up so I thought it didn't go thru

HarleyHogPit
01-25-2006, 22:38
Hey Gitter bug--at least you are a little bit excited. There is still hope. It wouldn't hurt to try. If you absolutely hate it you can stop. On the other hand, you may love it and get more into it as you go. You love camping too so you know you can rough it. Maybe if you watch Trek or some other AT videos you will get more psyched up about it. I wouldn't worry that you are not as excited about hiking as your friend as long as you don't rain on his/her parade.

HarleyHogPit
01-25-2006, 22:49
If you think you know someone, go hike with them, then you will really really know them.

This is very true. One of my friends said one time, if you think you like a girl, take her hiking and that will decide for you. That could go for men or women.

bfitz
01-26-2006, 23:04
You don't have to share every passion and hobby with eachother...mabye hiking can provide that precious me-space...
You'll definitely end up in trouble if you try to stay glued to eachother 100% on the trail...best to not share essential items and be prepared to separate from eachother at least occasionally just because you don't want to have someone struggling to make it to where the guy with the food is waiting imptiently for someone to catch up for one thing...