PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest way from Gainesville to springer?

Timinator
03-17-2017, 17:43
I'm taking the amtrak to Gainseville on next tuesday. What's the best/cheapest option to get to the trailhead? There seems to be quite a few options for shuttles but I don't know the prices or if they will allow me to schedule on such short notice.

rafe
03-17-2017, 17:46
Cheapest? Hitch to the state park, walk the approach trail.

Timinator
03-17-2017, 17:55
I have a feeling it would be an annoying hitch. What's the next best option?

lwhikerchris
03-17-2017, 18:28
You can probably get a ride with the folks who are coming into Gainesville station and staying at the hiker hostel. I would email Leigh Saint at the hostel to see if they will be picking up from Gainesville station that day and offer money for the ride. They are super nice. Matter fact you might just want to consider staying with them the night before you start.

lwhikerchris
03-17-2017, 18:30
BTW, where are you taking the Amtrak from? I took the overnight Amtrak train from Philly to Gainesville and didn't sleep one wink. I was glad to have a rest day at the hostel before starting.

MuddyWaters
03-17-2017, 18:54
You can probably get a ride with the folks who are coming into Gainesville station and staying at the hiker hostel. I would email Leigh Saint at the hostel to see if they will be picking up from Gainesville station that day and offer money for the ride. They are super nice. Matter fact you might just want to consider staying with them the night before you start.

Typically they only shuttle their guests as policy.

Timinator
03-17-2017, 18:59
Yeah, I was considering the hostel shuttle but I'm on a very tight budget until next month so I probably wouldn't be able to stay at the hostel even if I wanted to.

Timinator
03-17-2017, 19:37
It's about 40 bucks with UberX, might try that.

Slo-go'en
03-17-2017, 19:43
I believe the local taxi charges like $60. I doubt you'd find anyone to do it for much less, it's a bit of a drive. For $80 you can do the Hiker Hostel deal. Shuttle, night stay and breakfast. But if you go that way, make reservations soon, as they could easily fill up this time of year.

BTW, I found taking an OTC sleeping pill helped me sleep on the train, that and relaxing music on the phone to help mask all the noise. I found a few apps for that with repetitive "sleep" music . Get eye shades too, they keep the cars lit up fairly bright.

Timinator
03-17-2017, 20:29
I don't expect to sleep at all. Trains and buses are a nightmare.

skater
03-17-2017, 21:00
Buy some Black Jack for a local in exchange for a ride ��

glen.
03-18-2017, 14:27
I have found that if you want a good night's rest, don't take the train :)

Uncle Cranky
03-19-2017, 00:52
Contact the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonaga, here's the lowdown from their website:

From February 24th until April 20th we offer a package for hikers starting the trail. Because we can group hikers on shuttles, we are able to offer this package at a reduced rate. For the 2017 season, that rate is $85.
What’s Included?
• Shuttle from North Springs MARTA Station or Gainesville, GA to the Hostel
• Overnight stay in one of our bunk rooms
• Breakfast
• 8 oz of white gas or denatured alcohol (additional fuel may be purchased by the ounce)*. Fuel canisters also for sale.
• Shuttle to Amicalola Falls State Park or the Springer Mountain parking lot (0.9 miles north of Springer Mountain on USFS 42).
* 8 oz of fuel should be enough for you to get to Mountain Crossings @ Walasi-Yi, the outfitter at Neels Gap, which is 30 trail miles from Springer Mountain.

Heres their contact number: (770)312-7342.

George
03-19-2017, 07:37
you have these 2 things at the bottom of your legs - they are called feet, use them - it is about 39 mi to the state park, practically nothing if you think you are going to walk 2186

lwhikerchris
03-22-2017, 09:31
you have these 2 things at the bottom of your legs - they are called feet, use them - it is about 39 mi to the state park, practically nothing if you think you are going to walk 2186

LOL just don't do all that on your first day or you probably won't have a 2nd.

ScareBear
03-22-2017, 09:56
I'm taking the amtrak to Gainseville on next tuesday. What's the best/cheapest option to get to the trailhead? There seems to be quite a few options for shuttles but I don't know the prices or if they will allow me to schedule on such short notice.

You know, if you aren't on a train or haven't bought a new ticket yet, maybe you ought to wait until next month when your money comes in. Or, see about MegaBus or the dog to save the money. It's just odd how you bought your Amtrak so far in advance yet you have absolutely no clue on how your are going to get to the trailhead from Gainesville, only FOUR DAYS from departure....

Slo-go'en
03-22-2017, 11:31
I wonder if he figured out this leg of the trip? Seeing he missed the train yesterday, not off to a good start. Hopefully he's on his way now.