PDA

View Full Version : Trash bag as food hanging bag?

Puddle sleeper
03-18-2017, 02:32
Would it be stupid to use a strong trash bag as a bag to hang my food with? Or should I just suck it up and cash out on a zpacks food bag?

MuddyWaters
03-18-2017, 04:30
why are those your only choices

eggymane
03-18-2017, 08:03
A lot of people use just a regular stuff bag, ursack..you name it, it's being/been used for a good bag. Like MuddyWaters said, no need to limit yourself to only your listed options. Grab what makes sense and use it

LongBlaze2019
03-18-2017, 08:45
I use a vynal Dru bag. I keep it sprayed down with scent-off for a little extra protection.
It costs around 7 or 8 bucks and is still going strong.

Christoph
03-18-2017, 09:31
I use one of those sting type nylon backpacks from the local college, blood drives, job fairs, etc.... They give away for free at most of their events and I just put an aluminum carabiner on the rope part for hanging. Very light and durable.

Slo-go'en
03-18-2017, 11:39
Even a "strong" trash bag isn't going to last long before it starts to get holes and tears in it. If your real careful maybe you'd get a few days to a week out of one. Plus there isn't any good way to attach a rope to it. Basically a bad idea.

Cheyou
03-18-2017, 11:49
At least get the 3 dry bags for $9. At Walmart for your food bag.

Slo-go'en
03-18-2017, 12:01
At least get the 3 dry bags for $9. At Walmart for your food bag.

That's what I use. Haven't really found a use for the smaller ones though.

Traveler
03-18-2017, 12:21
Probably something more durable than a trash bag. One curious bird and its done.

H I T C H
03-18-2017, 18:49
I would think that a garbage bag would be harder to attach too.
Dry bags and the like have an easy access point for a carabiner.
You would have to tie a cord around the garbage bag.
Even if it was a drawstring garbage bag you would need to tie it shut.
Some folks hang their bags upside down to minimize the possibility of rain getting in.
This is not much of a concern with a dry bag.
In my experience the Bluefield dry bags seem to be about the same quality as the Walmart ones.

OP; how many people /days of food do you need to fit in your bag?

Hitch

la.lindsey
03-18-2017, 20:58
Garbage bags stretch. I came across one tied up as a food bag once; it may have started out at a decent height, but at 7am it was at face height. The material had completely deformed.

It was like a bear piņata.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devoidapop
03-18-2017, 21:23
i use a really light mesh stuff sack with all my food and trash in two ziplocs

Hikes in Rain
03-19-2017, 16:39
That's what I use. Haven't really found a use for the smaller ones though.

I use the smallest one to keep the little things together in one spot. Spare socks and such in the middle one.