PDA

View Full Version : Tijuana?

AllDownhillFromHere
03-18-2017, 16:58
If I have time to kill in SD, is it worth going to Tijuana? Are there any "must see" things there?

swjohnsey
03-18-2017, 17:53
Hmmm. It is marginally safe in daylight, a big, confusing Mexican city with pretty bad traffic. Getting back across the bridge is an adventure in itself.

ImAfraidOfBears
03-18-2017, 18:03
Having been to Tijuana, I wouldn't recommend going alone. Safe enough with a group, but it is a pretty sketchy town, and not much to see. I'd skip it, and feel good about the decision.

swisscross
03-18-2017, 20:00
Go to the SD zoo

Deadeye
03-18-2017, 21:00
Plenty to do in SD (downtown, Coronado, the Midway, Balboa Park, baseball, etc.), but if you choose to go to TJ, take the red trolley right to the border and walk over, no need to rent a car.

nsherry61
03-18-2017, 22:10
I have loved Tijuana when I've been there.
Plan on at least one person trying to pickpocket you. . . probably a nice pleasant kid.
Spend some time walking the streets and shopping in the markets and haggling.
It's the gutter in it's most refined form.
Embrace the experience.
Tijuana for people that don't like it is like a mountain for people that don't like climbing. It's a great adventure with some unpleasant parts. Some love the adventure and embrace the suck for what it is. Other's have no interest in the adventure because to them, it sucks.
There is lots of really good food well worth experiencing.

Enjoy.

Dogwood
03-18-2017, 23:37
I have loved Tijuana when I've been there.
Plan on at least one person trying to pickpocket you. . . probably a nice pleasant kid.
Spend some time walking the streets and shopping in the markets and haggling.
It's the gutter in it's most refined form.
Embrace the experience.
Tijuana for people that don't like it is like a mountain for people that don't like climbing. It's a great adventure with some unpleasant parts. Some love the adventure and embrace the suck for what it is. Other's have no interest in the adventure because to them, it sucks.
There is lots of really good food well worth experiencing.

Enjoy.

+1

FWIW, I've known several folks who have had their dental work done in Tijuana from dentists trained in U.S. dental schools that wanted to practice in Mexico. Dental work is 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of treatment(porcelain crowns, bridges, quality fillings, cleanings, extractions, etc) as in the U.S. with the possibility of the same standards.

IslandPete
03-19-2017, 07:59
Back in the day I'd have said the "Donkey Show" at Hussongs Cantina, but I don't think either exist any more. And that's probably a good thing...

TTT
03-19-2017, 08:53
Was it this kid?

egilbe
03-19-2017, 09:54
Those kids are pretty adept at taking watches, too. When we went down to Jaurez to get our drunk on we would throw handfulls of pennies out into the street to keep the kids off us. They would strip anything valuable off drunken soldiers faster than a school of pirhanas could strip a carcas.

Hosh
03-19-2017, 11:24
+1

FWIW, I've known several folks who have had their dental work done in Tijuana from dentists trained in U.S. dental schools that wanted to practice in Mexico. Dental work is 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of treatment(porcelain crowns, bridges, quality fillings, cleanings, extractions, etc) as in the U.S. with the possibility of the same standards.

Pretty good probability a few will need repairs or replacements to be done. My daughter is a dentist and has had to rework poor procedures or procedures done with improper materials. Not saying all Mexican dentist are sub-standard, but buyer be wary. She thinks those that practices in the border towns are most suspect.

As far as Tijuana being an adventure, so is the south side of Chicago. Mexico is being overrun by the cartels, spreading to the coastal resort cities on both oceans. Having done dozens of family vacations on the Rivera Maya, our next one is Belize.

Dogwood
03-19-2017, 12:04
Hosh, agree but you should find dentists trained in the U.S. and certified in Tijuana. It's up to the person seeking to purchase goods and services in Tijuana to do their research before letting anyone work on your teeth.

nsherry61
03-19-2017, 13:29
Was it this kid? . . .
I've had two instances in probably three trips to Tijuana where a kit tried to pickpocket me. Neither succeeded because, #1, I picked up on it in process, before he could get the zipper all the way open beneath the flowers he was trying to sell me, and he disappeared completely in literally a blink of the eye. By the time I realized what he was trying to do and then looked up, I could see no trace of him. #2, I never ever carry anything of value (more than $20 or so) in any pockets or bags, always keep it under my cloths, next to my skin, hidden from view or easy removal. It's kinda like playing spy. You accept the possibility and gotta outsmart the culprits. AND, for what it's worth, I have never felt in physical danger in Tijuana, tourists are their life blood and we are cared for, if in a somewhat predatory way. I've only ever felt at risk of loosing valuables . . . not personal danger.

. . . As far as Tijuana being an adventure, so is the south side of Chicago. . .
I agree.

In South Chicago I feel less safe and less likely to be taken advantage of (pick-pocketed or hoodwinked, or otherwise exploited for a few bucks). There is also, some really good food and phenomenal jazz music in South Chicago.

South Chicago is the first time I ever road public transportation where I was the only white guy on a whole train of black people. Wow, it's a rather eye-opening, intimidating, and visceral experience to be on the other side of the racial separation in our country. I recommend it to everyone!!!

And, to put all this in further perspective. I have a couple of different Canadian friends that have traveled in other parts of the world and refuse to go to the United States for fear of getting shot. Our perception of danger in slightly alternative cultures is profoundly out of step with reality. Maybe fear of bears would be a great comparison for this audience?

Dogwood
03-19-2017, 14:20
The more I've traveled both nationally and internationally outside of the U.S. to counties of different cultures the less intimidated and intimidating, prejudiced, and judgmental I've become. I'm much more tolerant and embracing of situations like these because I'm much less fearful but with a somewhat heightened awareness than a previous narrowed little world of regional beliefs and societal standards.

"South Chicago is the first time I ever road public transportation where I was the only white guy on a whole train of black people. Wow, it's a rather eye-opening, intimidating, and visceral experience to be on the other side of the racial separation in our country. I recommend it to everyone!!!

And, to put all this in further perspective. I have a couple of different Canadian friends that have traveled in other parts of the world and refuse to go to the United States for fear of getting shot. Our perception of danger in slightly alternative cultures is profoundly out of step with reality. Maybe fear of bears would be a great comparison for this audience?"

Hosh
03-19-2017, 15:26
The more I've traveled both nationally and internationally outside of the U.S. to counties of different cultures the less intimidated and intimidating, prejudiced, and judgmental I've become. I'm much more tolerant and embracing of situations like these because I'm much less fearful but with a somewhat heightened awareness than a previous narrowed little world of regional beliefs and societal standards.

"South Chicago is the first time I ever road public transportation where I was the only white guy on a whole train of black people. Wow, it's a rather eye-opening, intimidating, and visceral experience to be on the other side of the racial separation in our country. I recommend it to everyone!!!

And, to put all this in further perspective. I have a couple of different Canadian friends that have traveled in other parts of the world and refuse to go to the United States for fear of getting shot. Our perception of danger in slightly alternative cultures is profoundly out of step with reality. Maybe fear of bears would be a great comparison for this audience?"

I enjoyed the south of France, also. :D

Mexico has been run over by the cartels. Their forte is not pick pocking, it's murder and torture. They like to display their handwork hanging from bridges or staked on traffic islands. The government is corrupt and incapable of stopping the carnage.

South Chicago is also under siege. People wounded, murdered and raped is out of control. The local politicians are worthless and afraid to act.

TTT
03-19-2017, 15:31
South side of Chicago as Jim Croce sings in Bad Bad Leroy Brown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvwDohEEQ1E