PDA

View Full Version : New Pack

Storminnorman
03-19-2017, 16:30
Hello all. I am looking to lighten up my load with a new pack. I currently have an Osprey Aether 60 which is a great dependable piece of gear but it weighs in at around 5lbs. I am considering the following packs Z-Pack Arc Haul, ULA Circuit, Osprey Exos 58, and the Elemental Horizons Kalais. They all have relatively the same volume which would make me give serious consideration to any extras I may want to bring along. Thanks and I look forward to reading what you have to say.

SWODaddy
03-19-2017, 16:44
I have an Exos 48 and like it a lot.

Not as light as some of the others, but it's a lot lighter than the aether, you can buy one at a major retailer, you get Osprey's warranty, and it's comfortable up to about 30lbs.

Traillium
03-19-2017, 16:53
I switched from an Osprey Aether XL Aether (63L; but too heavy) to an Osprey Exos 58 XL (61L and much lighter and oh so comfortable; passable even with well over 35lbs).
The Exos 58 is so much more comfortable for me!
I keep wondering if I could have gotten away with an Exos 48L …

xxjljoyce
03-19-2017, 16:55
I am 5'3" 135lbs with back problems and I have went from an osprey to a circuit I am extremely happy with my decision they are doing a sale on last year's models if they have one in your size it's a easy way to save money on an absolutely wonderful backpack!!

https://1drv.ms/x/s!Ah4ZF0427mRTeyr6weSU2L1sGfU

bigcranky
03-19-2017, 17:48
Yeah, I had an Aether 60, great pack but heavy.

I used a Circuit for many years, and my wife uses one now. Great pack, well made, carries well, etc. It's a solid choice and a good bargain.

A couple of years ago I replaced my Circuit with an Arc Haul. I posted a long review of it here and maybe at BPL too. Overall I really like it, though I'm not sure that it would be my recommendation for a "first ultralight" pack. It takes more work to get it to ride and carry well. But it's also well made and well designed.

soumodeler
03-19-2017, 19:06
ArcHaul is my go to pack for everything except summer use. Great design, very comfortable, and well made.

Venchka
03-19-2017, 21:49
ArcHaul is my go to pack for everything except summer use. Great design, very comfortable, and well made.

What do you use in the summer? Seems like it should be the opposite.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigcranky
03-20-2017, 07:00
I use my Arc Haul year round but it's rather large for my summer load, so I understand soumodeler's comment.

daddytwosticks
03-20-2017, 07:04
Have owned the exos 48 for about two years and have recently purchased the 58, but have not trail tested the 58 yet. I'm a big Osprey fan, having owned an older model Aether 60 and an Atmos 50. Love everything about the Exos series. :)

Maineiac64
03-20-2017, 07:17
Went from Osprey AG 65 to Arc Haul. Roll top design feature makes it fine for year round.

cmoulder
03-20-2017, 07:51
I have Arc Haul, Blast (old style 52L, luv 'em) and Zero (36L+side bottle/front pockets) and will use whichever is needed for volume/weight.

The Arc Haul definitely has far more capacity than I normally need outside of winter. However, it really shrinks down nicely when the top is rolled down and the side compression cords are cinched to match the load.

Venchka
03-20-2017, 09:30
Old Geezer Stupid Question:
Where are the compression straps? Do they not work?
All of this constant moaning and groaning about "My pack is too big."
I don't get it.
I do get winter and summer packs up to a point. In my case, I owned one backpack for 3 seasons in the Rockies. Then I bought a warmer bag that didn't fit my 3 season pack. I also bought a new pack to go with the new sleeping bag. However, the new pack collapses to nothing and the top pocket and belt come off. Versatility seems to be a lost feature.
Wayne

Venchka
03-20-2017, 09:34
One more thing.
Shock cord is NOT suitable as compression straps. I used a ULA Catalyst last summer and I liked everything about the pack except the non-stretch rear pouch and the silly shock cord "compression" system.
End of Rant. I'll go hide.
Wayne

cmoulder
03-20-2017, 10:15
They're not shock (bungee, stretchee) cords, hence my "side compression cords". They're in a zig-zag pattern with a LL3 at the top, and they work surprisingly well, sort of self-leveling so to speak.

I simply don't want to carry a 62 liter pack when my load requires only 36 liters and I can use a 12 oz pack vs a 24 oz pack. Weird to some folks, I guess. :)

http://www.zpacks.com/images/backpacks/arc_haul/haul_grn_side_l.jpg

Storminnorman
03-20-2017, 13:09
Thanks for the input, I appreciate the information and will take that into account when I decide on what pack I will go with.

archie
03-20-2017, 14:12
I love my Kalais.

soumodeler
03-20-2017, 14:15
I use an older (2014) ArcBlast for summer hikes. 52L and several ounces lighter than the Haul. As comfortable as the Haul is, at my summer base weight of 8lbs, the Blast is even more comfortable. Maybe "less noticeable" is a better description.

soumodeler
03-20-2017, 14:17
Also, if you forced me to pick only one pack for year round use, the ArcHaul would win. I just prefer to have different packs for different seasons and uses.

MockingJay
03-20-2017, 14:45
I purchased the Aether 70 pack several years ago and used it for several trips totaling about 100 miles. I found that pack to be heavier and roomier than I wanted, although it was extremely comfortable and had padding in all the right places (back, hip belt, shoulder straps). With 70L, I found that I would fill that extra space (just because I had it) with stuff I didn't need. Got rid of the Aether and picked up the Exos 58 and couldn't be happier. I've seen lots of hikers with the 58 so there must be something there. It's light, still has plenty of room, and lots of pockets. The only thing I've noticed is that the padding is not there as it is with the Aether. Overall, I'm glad I got the Exos 58. I've put over 100 miles on it and it loads out well with the rest of my gear. If you can, definitely try on your top 3 choices before you decide.

Canebrake
03-20-2017, 16:45
I tried to reduce the "big 3" as well and went with a Granite Gear Virga II based on Phil Werner's review at sectionhiker.com (http://sectionhiker.com/granite-gear-virga-2-backpack-review/). It's very basic with a roll-top and very rugged. Wouldn't backpack with anything else. It's also more affordable than some of the other ultralight options.

tflaris
03-24-2017, 17:42
Arc Blast is one of my favorites of my collection. After the Arc blast my favorites are:

1. HMG SW 2400
2. HMG SW 3400
3. GG Mariposa
4. ULA Circuit
5. Osprey Exos 58

Best of luck in your decision making process.

cmoulder
03-24-2017, 19:37
Arc Blast is one of my favorites of my collection. After the Arc blast my favorites are:

1. HMG SW 2400
2. HMG SW 3400
3. GG Mariposa
4. ULA Circuit
5. Osprey Exos 58

Best of luck in your decision making process.

That's a pretty eclectic selection! :)

tflaris
03-24-2017, 20:03
That's a pretty eclectic selection! :)

Yes.

Started with an Atmos and returned that to REI after a few times out on weekend trips and went with an Exos 58 for a JMT Thru Hike because a Bearikade Canister fit in it horizontally. It was the lightest bag REI sold that I could try on in person.

After that I researched and purchased most of the other bags used or durning scratch and dent sales from the different cottage vendors.

The HMG SW 2400 I used in Thailand for 3 weeks traveling and hiking around Christmas.

Things I like are the split waist belts, large pockets and stretch material that allows me to carry daily stuff on the outside.

Side note the outside pockets on the Mariposa are very nice. Store my stove, tent or hammock on the outside.

I'm pretty new to LD Hiking with about 1500-2000 miles from the AT Section hiking, Florida Trail Section Hiking and the JMT Thru hike.

Another 3 weeks on the AT in May which we tend to do every year.

PCT Thru hike in 2020 when my wife is on Sabbatical from the University where she works.

The purpose of the journey is not to arrive.

globetruck
03-24-2017, 20:41
Atmos 58 has a Non-adjustable torso which was a deal killer for me. It just didn't fit me. But it looks like an amazing pack - great mix of features for a fairly light weight.

cmoulder
03-25-2017, 07:20
My collection is 'Z-centric'... 2 old-style 52L Blasts, one bought new the other very lightly used, Arc Haul new, and hybrid Zero with water bottle pockets and front mesh, which I bought used. I also have a MLD Core (1700ci). I just sold my first lightweight pack, an REI Flash 62, to a friend who is a recent convert from heavy hauling. We did a snowshoe trip a couple of weekends ago and his TPW was 18.5 lbs and he was practically crying with joy!

I too prefer the Blast and it remains my all-time favorite.