PDA

View Full Version : ZPacks Arc Blast

tflaris
03-19-2017, 17:23
Has anyone hiked long distance using a bear canister strapped onto the top of a ZPacks Arc Blast?

Thanks

TF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hikingjim
03-19-2017, 18:43
You don't want a lot of weight up high or hanging off. If it doesn't fit in the pack with your other gear, it might not be the right pack for that trip!
Strap on other light bulky stuff if necessary though.

Sandy of PA
03-19-2017, 20:47
Bearcan goes vertical inside, pack stuff around it.

saltysack
03-20-2017, 11:44
Beware of can rubbing through the cuben...pack inside compactor with bag and cloths around it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
03-20-2017, 11:53
Has anyone hiked long distance using a bear canister strapped onto the top of a ZPacks Arc Blast?

Thanks

TF

Your pack should be half full without food inside.
Makes it hard to put anything on top....because top is halfway down your back

Unless your another fool trying to carry non ul loads in ul pack.

Cannister sits inside, on middle crossbar, and wears thru pack effectively there without padding

Venchka
03-20-2017, 12:33
Your pack should be half full without food inside.
Makes it hard to put anything on top....because top is halfway down your back

Unless your another fool trying to carry non ul loads in ul pack.

Cannister sits inside, on middle crossbar, and wears thru pack effectively there without padding

And we're supposed to buy and use these things?
Wayne

yaduck9
03-20-2017, 12:50

Thanks

TF

I, would politely, suggest that you email z packs customer service with your question. I have asked several questions directly to them and have always been satisfied with their responses. I would imagine the owner has had to deal with this situation and could guide you appropriately.

MuddyWaters
03-20-2017, 13:29
And we're supposed to buy and use these things?
Wayne

No one has a gun to their head.....

KDogg
03-20-2017, 13:49
I believe that Zpacks has stated that a bear canister fits inside all their packs.

cmoulder
03-20-2017, 16:29
From the Zpacks website: (http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_blast.shtml) (<----- link!)

All standard Bear Canisters, including the Bearikade Expedition and the BearVault 500 will fit in the upper half of this pack standing on end. There is enough extra girth to either wrap a foam pad around the canister (if you use one), or stand a medium stuff sack vertically beside the bear canister.

tflaris
03-20-2017, 16:51
Yes. I'm familiar with with all of the recommended practices. I have seen pictures of people strapping their canisters to the top of their bags and was wondering if anyone had actual practice of this technique.

TF

MuddyWaters
03-20-2017, 16:53
From the Zpacks website: (http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_blast.shtml) (<----- link!)

All standard Bear Canisters, including the Bearikade Expedition and the BearVault 500 will fit in the upper half of this pack standing on end. There is enough extra girth to either wrap a foam pad around the canister (if you use one), or stand a medium stuff sack vertically beside the bear canister.

Well known that cannisters fit vertically

Not so well known that your pack needs to be less than half full vertically for this to be so...if you intend to close top

If your not a UL hiker, legitimately , its not going to work for you most likely. Which is why you see people asking about strapping on top, or bottom, etc . You need room for 8 -9 days food in pack to fit bearcan basically. If you can only fit 3-4, you have wrong pack.

Sandy of PA
03-20-2017, 21:20
Strapping to the top only works with an empty bearcan, not how they are generally used.

TTT
03-21-2017, 00:46
It will be a mission and a half trying to fit it inside a pack with other gear, but then again my packing sucks. Cuben fiber works well with a soft light content and struggles with defined shapes