PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Coast Options?

Maineiac64
03-20-2017, 09:22
I was going in on foothills trail this weekend but the weather forecast right now is calling for a lot of rain so am seeking options further south where the weather is looking more appealing. Cumberland Island may be an option but is likely booked up so if anybody knows any good backpacking options for 1-2 nights along the coast I would really appreciate it.

Dan Roper
03-20-2017, 09:41
There's often cancellations at Cumberland so that it's possible to make it to the island, at least for a day trip. Not guaranteed, though. If Cumberland is out, there are various ways to get to Ossabaw or Sapelo or Blackbeard.

If you're a southeast coast veteran, you know that this bug season. Sand gnats (no-see-ums) and ticks are now out in full force. If you haven't experienced this on Cumberland in late March...just...beware! Biblical plague levels of discomfort.

If by "coast" you don't necessarily mean "beach," you can try camping/hiking at a place like Crooked River State Park or the Okefenokee. Paddling the St. Marys River is also a must-do.

Have you considered Itchetucknee Springs State Park in northern Florida? That place is the Garden of Eden in late March. Spectacularly pretty. Good hiking, superb paddling, and year-around swimming (the water temp is about the same in winter as in summer). No camping there, but you can at O'Leno State Park. These places will have ticks and mosquitoes. Those are manageable. It's the sand gnats that are the end-of-life-as-we-know-it perils, and you won't find them that far inland.

Dan Roper
03-20-2017, 09:43
Here, just for an instance, is a link to info about Blackbeard Island: https://www.fws.gov/refuge/blackbeard_island/#

saltysack
03-20-2017, 10:58
As hot as it's been I can't get motivated to hike here......I'd drive to the Mtns to hike or paddle camp down here. Check out the Suwannee river wilderness camps.....American Canoe outfitters out of white springs, Fl rents yaks or canoes and shuttles...if water levels are in 50' ish range @ WS lots of great beach camping. The state runs the river camps and offer screened huts w power and fans, bath houses etc....make reservations or plenty of tent camping room but treat for ticks....we've done this many times and never gets old.....highly recommend....the Fl Trail actually goes by some of them as well....Woods Ferry I believe....also have Bobs river place lil farther down the river...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170320/a64329055fdc580ddc61cf161706bfb5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170320/e9833831a102e95561d7a1dd8e2224f3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170320/dc5a0d13454db62dd711728904032ea4.jpg

https://www.floridastateparks.org/parks/suwannee-river-wilderness-trail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MockingJay
03-20-2017, 12:42
If you're a southeast coast veteran, you know that this bug season. Sand gnats (no-see-ums) and ticks are now out in full force. If you haven't experienced this on Cumberland in late March...just...beware! Biblical plague levels of discomfort.

I'll second Dan Roper's comment above about bug season. If the temps are between 60 and 80 degrees in coastal Georgia, then the sand gnats will be an issue. If Southeast Georgia is your destination for backpacking, you might want to stay above "gnat-line" as we call it...which is about 20 miles inland from any marsh area. Try any of the Georgia State Parks with backcountry sites. Ft McAlister is here on the coast but the backcountry sites fill up fast on the weekends. Mistletoe SP is another good one but further from the coast.

If weather permits, FDR SP or Providence Canyon SP in SW Georgia are excellent backpacking spots and will give you some very good terrain for prepping for an AT hike.

Maineiac64
03-22-2017, 16:52
Thank you for your ideas and insights. Plan right now is to head up north on parts of the foothill trail. I do want to do those that were recommended at some point.

saltysack
03-22-2017, 17:31
Thank you for your ideas and insights. Plan right now is to head up north on parts of the foothill trail. I do want to do those that were recommended at some point.

Is part of fht closed from past fires? I enjoyed my fht thru last April...if you need a shuttle I'd highly recommend Jim Simpson....https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170322/be9283c79be6e018396a5034d60d476e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogwood
03-22-2017, 18:41

Two different 2 night suggestions with a pre arranged shuttle or two cars:

For the waterfall and state high pt lover:

1) Start at Rocky Bottom(US 178) OR atop Mt Sassafras where there are graveled large parking areas at both to overnight a car. Hike to Whitewater Falls on SC 130 or Bad Crk Trail access. Upper Whitewater Parking Area I think is still closed but you CAN hike past there. If you don't want to do the ascent out of the gorge Bad Crk is the alternate. You get Virgina Hawkins(Adequate CS's), Laurel Fork(GREAT CS's), Hilliard(CS's), and Lower Whitewater Falls(CS's at the junction to the Lower Whitewater Falls overlook, water 80 ft downslope at the back of the CS area) and bag a state high pt with a tremendous SC 360* view.

Possible itinerary: First night camp at Laurel Fork Falls near the apex of the falls or easier day at Virgina Hawkins Falls. Following the obvious dirt FS Rd between these two falls is a flat, easy, next to a rambling creek stroll, and can be a good night hike with the owls and possible bear or two in the area. Second night stay at the Lower WW Falls junction(signed & blazed) very near Bad Water Crk access. The Lower WW Falls Overlook Deck is open and provides IMO a better view of WW Falls(Lower falls) than the Upper section.

If not overly rainy want water galore with even less need to haul anymore than 1/2 L H20 at a time:

2) Start at Sloan Bridge and hike to Oconee SP. At Fish Hatchery Rd you have two options A. continue on the rather ho hum but faster way to O SP by walking the FHT proper B. Walk the paved, about 1.2-1.5 mile, switchbacking downhill Fish Hatchery Rd to the Walhalla Fish Hatchery for a self guided tour(bathrooms, running fresh drinking water, garbage cans, overhead rain protection, Lots of fish!). At the Fish Hatchery parking lot at the outhouses(different bathrooms than inside the fence near the office, get H20 from the bathrooms near the hatchery Office!!!) ) you'll find the East Fork TH. Find the East Fork TH at the shweet CCC constructed large covered picnic shelter with fireplace at the TH(GREAT for dodging the rain!) and several CS's. Fishing especially abounds on this route! Descend to the Chattooga River north of the official FHT so you get more Chattooga River hiking scenery and choices. At the Chattooga River Tr./East Fork Tr junction is a large flat pine straw shaded CS area on the river.

Alternatively at Sloan Bridge take the North Fork Mt Tr. to teh Chattooga River for even more milage along the Chattooga.

Several very nice CS's on the Chattooga River even sandy beach sites with existing fire rings and swimming/soaking holes. Burrel's Ford is a popular but rather noisy area with established FS CS's. Good large flat CS area at Pig Pen Branch/Bartram TR junction(signed) where the FHT has turned away for good from the Chattooga River. Another good private 3 tent CS w/ H20 is located between A13 and A14 on the FHT map that isn't noted about 1 mile south of the FHT(A13) where it abuts SC 107. It's short walk to Oconee SP from here.

Stop at O SP for a coke or ice cream and shower. AT O SP is the CCC built bathhouse just down a stroll downhill from teh Camp Store is always worth a look at how mindful, well constructed, and maintain good architecture and local craftsmen building can be. The main posts, some more than 2 ft wide, on the tiled veranda, as it originally was laid more than 80 yrs ago!, check it out) is local chestnut that were dying in the area which the CC used.

Dogwood
03-22-2017, 18:46
Saltysack, no the FHT is not closed. The UPPER Whitewater Falls Overlook viewing deck stairway burnt down so is dangerous to view the falls from that area so the UPPER WW Falls Parking Area including the BR's(as of 3-4 wks ago) were closed and signed. You can still hike through the area on the FHT proper. IMO the Lower WW Falls Overlook Deck was a better view anyhow.

Sapelo
03-22-2017, 20:07
Coastal Georgia has a huge trail system. The only problem is it is all wet. Very little hiking opportunities. It is also ahard place to legally camp. It is much easier to camp in North GA. Forget about camping on Sapelo or Blackbeard. DNR maintains two campgrounds on Sapelo. Moses Hammock is on the NW Marsh Side and is used for Deer Hunters. Cabretta Island Campground is restricted to groups of 15 or more with a two night minimum stay for $15/night. You might call one of the residents of Hog Hammock and request to camp in their yard (I don't recommend it!) The only real way for you to see Sapelo is to stay at one of the BB's operated by residents on Sapelo or through Southeast Adventure Outfitters, St. Simons Island. GA.

If you are not an experienced Sea Kayaker, I do not recommend you attempt to paddle to any of the barrier islands. Only Sapelo has a DNR Ferry; however, the only people who are allowed to use the Sapelo Ferry are DNR employees, residents of Sapelo Island or guests of residents or clients of Southeast Adventure Outfitters. If you stay on Sapelo with a resident I highly recommend you rent a car from one of the residents. The cost will be ridiculous and the car will be in very bad shape but it will enable you to see much more of the Island.

No ferries service Blackbeard Island. Also, camping is not allowed You are only allowed on the Island between sunrise and sunset. it is patrolled by the FWS Refugee Law Enforcement Officers.
Access to Ossabaw is restricted as well. Only groups or individuals who have been approved by the Ossabaw Island Foundation are allowed access to the Island.

Easiest camping opportunities are along the Altamaha River via canoe or kayak

Maineiac64
03-22-2017, 21:30
Dogwood, our main itinerary is fly fishing so we are going north from burells ford bridge along chatooga towards ellicot rock and camp along the river. Never been here so any tips and tricks for campiing spots appreciated.

I have another friend that is big fan of FHT so I will be back for more of a hiking trip soon.

Dogwood
03-22-2017, 23:33
Dogwood, our main itinerary is fly fishing so we are going north from burells ford bridge along chatooga towards ellicot rock and camp along the river. Never been here so any tips and tricks for campiing spots appreciated.

I have another friend that is big fan of FHT so I will be back for more of a hiking trip soon.

Would not be my priority to fish in the immediate vicinity Of Burrells Ford. It's highly overfished and with the low water level there are better quieter places up and downstream to fish and camp. Check out King Falls and move on is my suggestion. Don't even tie any flies on.

Downstream from BF I like winding my way down a steep use path to the Big Falls area hitting up deeper water chutes as I wade upstream casting. Wading upstream in the river and along the banks is largely possible now with the lower water level but it makes the fish very skittish particularly on sunny days. With warm but rainy overcast days look for creeklets and pour offs into the river to fish. Not sure of the exact current river water level but 3-4 wks ago it was the lowest I've ever witnessed. There were only two spots where I couldn't see the bottom of the river which I find very unusual.

Some good chutes in deeper channels upstream of BF all the way past Elliott's Rock. At the East Fork Tr and Chattooga River junction is a nice place to base camp from to fish both up and downstream. Just south of this junction there's a good sandy beach camp if that's preferred. If it is sunny look for deeper chutes on the far bank partially shaded by overhanging brush. The weary, and often biggest fish, lurk in those spots below riffles at a current break taking up choice feeding stations. Wade upstream so not spook out these spots even scrunching down to lower your profile.

Depending on the hatch and water temps maybe streamers and slowly presented nymphs are worth a try. If there's a hatch occurring maybe try some drys cause that's always exhilarating seeing trout rise and take. If you want to bounce some wigglers up off the bottom with a natural presentation without getting hung too often at these chutes with your long reaching fly casting poles into deeper holes that can make the day if flies aren't happening.