PDA

View Full Version : Are tree straps just for hammocks?

devoidapop
03-20-2017, 18:53
Should ridgelines and tie outs that anchor to trees be secured with tree straps for conservation? Or is the load on a tarp ridgeline not sufficient to cause damage?

Deacon
03-20-2017, 19:02
No problem for ridge lines and tie outs - only needed for the weight of your hammock.

Since to see you are considerate of LNT principles.

ChuckT
03-20-2017, 19:54
I use 2" Harbor Freight straps (mine are yellow) for my tarp. The hardware is an intricate aluminum plate, sorry don't recall the name of it, that makes the join from strap to ridge line. Heavier than necessary no doubt but I like it better.

devoidapop
03-20-2017, 21:06
I use 2" Harbor Freight straps (mine are yellow) for my tarp. The hardware is an intricate aluminum plate, sorry don't recall the name of it, that makes the join from strap to ridge line. Heavier than necessary no doubt but I like it better.

I could see that for car camping. You use two cinch buckles to tighten the straps with a fixed length ridgeline between?

ChuckT
03-20-2017, 21:27
No the hardware making the transition between tree straps and ridgeline are called Elephant Trunks.
My tarp is attached to the ridgeline with prusik knots.
With prusiks, Elephants, and straps I feel I can throw up my tarp and get out of the rain to deploy my Ridgerunner Bridge Hammock with some hope of staying dry. On occasion it's even worked😀.
Hmm, I wasn't paying enough attention those straps are not 2" wide they're 1". It's the hammock straps that are _supposed_ to be 2" wide for LNT. Sorry, brain not in the proper gear there😕.

ChuckT
03-20-2017, 21:29
And no, so far I've not had to transition to the use of 2" straps, so far ...