PDA

View Full Version : Leaving for Springer in a few days... please tell me I'm not crazy...

llittle_llama
03-21-2017, 00:15
So setting out on the 27th (next Monday) and I'm really starting to feel nervous. Is this the same for everyone else? It's going to get very real very fast when my wife drives off and I'm alone with my puppers on the trail. I almost want to cry thinking about it sometimes, I can't believe this is actually happening. Please tell me I'm not the only one feeling this...

FooFooCuddlyPoops
03-21-2017, 01:17
Nope your not the only one. Just don't back down, or get back in the car. Whatever you do, you have to at least try. I made that mistake. I got back in that car. (section hike) And, I regret it.

Trailweaver
03-21-2017, 01:21
No, you aren't alone. Read other's posts. This comes up often, and certainly every year about this time. Read other's trail journals before they leave - it's there.

Its a a big deal: expensive, time commitment, separation from family/friends, challenging mentally & physically. Most do not make it.

So anyway, good luck, keep a trail journal, and enjoy the hike. If you make it to K, great. If not, don't beat yourself up. You tried, and many never even do that!

Mmmairs16
03-21-2017, 01:28
I am the same way, I want to leave middle of April. I still can't find anyone to hike with me or atleast just start with me. You can do it or at least be my motivation to start this journey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maineiac64
03-21-2017, 05:24
I hope you do a trail journal so we can keep up with you and the puppers.

Cheyou
03-21-2017, 06:49
It will b a great adventure full of highs and lows. Have a great time.

Thom

bigcranky
03-21-2017, 07:08
You're not crazy, this is normal pre-hike jitters. You have "Fletcheritis" -- find Colin Fletcher's The Complete Walker for the cure. :)

Don't quit on a bad day. You'll have plenty of bad days, this is a long undertaking and it's going to rain on you constantly, it'll get hot and buggy, you'll be tired, your knees will hurt, and getting back home will sometimes seem like the only option. It's far too easy to get into town and not be able to leave. Resist! Get back on the trail. The sun will come out, the cool breezes will comfort you, the view from the top of the first climb will amaze you, and your trail friends will support you. Your legs and knees will get stronger, your lungs will stop screaming at every climb, and you will stop dreaming of pizza and beer every night. (Okay, I am lying about that last one.)

You will walk with spring. Now go start walking.

egilbe
03-21-2017, 07:11
And here, I want to quit my job and go for a long walk. But, child support keeps me chained to a job I tolerate. Be thankful you have the time and oppurtunity to go on an adventure.

rafe
03-21-2017, 08:08
Yeah, for most folks it's a big deal. It's a weird thing to do, and deep inside, you know it. There's no denying it. You can't rationalize it, because it's not rational. You must cherish the weirdness of it or you're screwed. The vast majority of humans nowadays hardly ever do anything like this.

It's just walking
And walking
And walking
And walking
And walking
And walking
And walking
And walking
And walking
And walking
And walking...

until you either finish or leave the trail, for whatever reason.

ScareBear
03-21-2017, 08:10
Are you going to blog your hike? Please do!

rafe
03-21-2017, 08:12
"Don't quit on a bad day."

I hear this a lot but it's always struck me as trite. Who the heck would quit on a good day?

Ender
03-21-2017, 08:35
Hahaha... you're totally crazy. But it's a **GOOD** type of crazy. :) And yeah, it's overwhelming and a bit scary, but once you're out there you'll fall right into it and it won't be overwhelming and scary any more. Anticipation is where it hits you, but once you're on the trail you'll be good.

TX Aggie
03-21-2017, 08:50

I hear this a lot but it's always struck me as trite. Who the heck would quit on a good day?

I have a couple of answers, but they wouldn't go over well in this forum (I can be just a LITTTTLE bit sarcastic at times :) )

The short answer: good days and bad days mean different things to different people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigcranky
03-21-2017, 11:43

To me, it means that if you're having a good day on the trail and you STILL want to go home, then go home.

Hikingjim
03-21-2017, 11:50

I think it's just the idea that after a bad day or low morale period you shouldn't make a rash decision.
But if weeks on end are "bad weeks", then what's the point in being there.

So, don't quit the day it's 15f, you fall in the creek, get blisters because you have wet feet all day, the bears eat your food, you slip in the mud 17 times, and someone steals your hiking poles from the shelter.

nsherry61
03-21-2017, 11:54

People with enough foresight to postpone a big decision until until their head is in a healthy enough place to put things into perspective. Duh. ;-)

Almost all of the highest highlight moments in my life came as I managed to pull through and succeed in something that I was on the verge of quitting because I didn't think I could make it or I didn't think it was worth the misery. If I'd have quit at any of those down moments, all those highlights of my life would not be there.

Dogwood
03-21-2017, 12:06
It's just walking.

MuddyWaters
03-21-2017, 12:15
I assure you ...5 min after leaving trailhead, nervousness will be gone.

Tahoeturner
03-21-2017, 13:03
It's just walking
And walking
And walking
And walking
And walking
And walking
And walking
And walking
And walking
And walking
And walking...

If this were true, almost anyone could do it. It's a lot more than just walking.:)

kickatree
03-21-2017, 13:57
Nope. Not crazy just ready to bust through the fence! I'll start on the 31st. I'll be on your six. I'm nervous too, but it's just performance anxiety me thinks 😃

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Don H
03-21-2017, 14:02
IMO there are two types of people who finish a thru-hike:

Those that love the trail and there's no place else they'd rather be
And people too stubborn to quit.

llittle_llama
03-21-2017, 16:12
IMO there are two types of people who finish a thru-hike:

Those that love the trail and there's no place else they'd rather be
And people too stubborn to quit.
Well I'm both of those!!! I can't even tell which one more :D I guess that answers my "will I make it" question. To be completely honest though I never had any doubts of finishing.

Timinator
03-23-2017, 05:45
Yes, I hate to break it to you but you are crazy. Only 1 out of 60 people survive the Appalachian trail. Think about your family and give up this foolishness.

fastfoxengineering
03-23-2017, 05:58
Well I'm both of those!!! I can't even tell which one more :D I guess that answers my "will I make it" question. To be completely honest though I never had any doubts of finishing.
All the stir crazy thoughts and pre hike jitters will vanish and be replaced with new and stronger emotions as soon as you step foot on springer.

It will be at that point you and you only will know if you made the right decision.

Don't psych yourself out yet, all the worries you have are gone 5 minutes into hiking

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk