PDA

View Full Version : Best Backpacking Foods from Trader Joes

The Kisco Kid
03-21-2017, 12:06
Very thorough article. I buy a lot of my hiking food from Trader Joe's and now I have some new finds to try. Their bacon jerky is amazing!

http://www.freshoffthegrid.com/backpacking-food-ideas-trader-joes/

saltysack
03-21-2017, 12:31
Great thx for sharing....love TJ's but hate shopping!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

u.w.
03-21-2017, 13:06
WoW. Thank you for your time and effort in putting this all together! I'm definitely going to check out those Nutty Seedy Fruity bars, among other stuff..

u.w.

Feral Bill
03-21-2017, 14:52
Oh yeah!.....

The Kisco Kid
03-21-2017, 15:34
Just sharing the article. I did not put it together though :)

billreillyjr
03-21-2017, 15:52
Pretty sure they forgot Chocolate covered espresso beans

Dogwood
03-21-2017, 15:54
What no processed sugary nutritionally denatured honey buns, candy, like Snickers which is mistakenly assumed is chocolate, canned Vienna sausalagenous like substances, or 12 cts a package Ramen? ;)

TJ's broccoli florets are great added to meals but they are expensive when computed cost/oz. MUCH financially cheaper to dehydrate your own.

Have to try the TJ's Nutty Fruity Seedy Bar. Haven't seen that offering.

Sprinkling some 100% real powdered cocoa or Ceylon cinnamon on the dried banana chips ups the flavor and versatility.

Love those Thai Lime& Chili and Salt&Pepper Cashews as well as the Coffee Coated Cashews and Almonds.

Don't see TJ's coconut macaroons on your snack list?

I don't know TJ's processing methods of red lentil bean pasta but watch out for gas.

Dogwood
03-21-2017, 15:56

YUP those are good too but they can occasionally be found in bulk at a slight cost savings.

Stone1984
03-21-2017, 16:17
that almond butter granola is going on my list

bigcranky
03-21-2017, 16:21

they made the list

NJdreamer
03-21-2017, 20:38
Very thorough article. I buy a lot of my hiking food from Trader Joe's and now I have some new finds to try. Their bacon jerky is amazing!

http://www.freshoffthegrid.com/backpacking-food-ideas-trader-joes/

I love the freeze dried blueberries with dry milk for breakfast or dessert, hot or cold, depending on the weather. Also the grainless granola is very good. I purchased some freeze dried banana from TJ's and will take it on a weekend trip, but it sure is ugly looking. Tastes OK, like very ripe bananas.

Venchka
03-21-2017, 21:06
Chocolate covered everything including chocolate. The organic stuff is bait to lure you into the Junk Food Bonanza above all of the refrigerated cases.
Ginger Chews are habit forming on and off the trail.
Wayne

Venchka
03-21-2017, 21:10
Chocolate covered everything including chocolate. The organic stuff is bait to lure you into the Junk Food Bonanza above all of the refrigerated cases.
Ginger Chews are habit forming on and off the trail.
Wayne
Trader Joe's is just about the only thing I miss in Houston.
Wayne

egilbe
03-22-2017, 07:07

Dark chocolate covered expresso beans are listed

bigcranky
03-22-2017, 09:14
The dried bananas are very good, especially on a tortilla spread with Nutella. Breakfast of champions!

We buy a lot of their nuts and dried fruit, both for hiking and for use at home. The turkey jerky is my favorite, though I need to try the bacon jerky. I gagged on the salmon jerky, even though I love all kinds of cured fish.

The organic stuff is bait to lure you into the Junk Food Bonanza above all of the refrigerated cases.

What's the point of living longer if you can't eat some chocolate now and then?

RangerZ
03-22-2017, 12:23
I don't need Trader Joes. The last time my wife went there the car alternator died and it cost me $$$. Besides, I can't get Ritz crackers, Oreos, Cheerios or Spam. Long live the Eagle.

Venchka
03-22-2017, 12:31
The dried bananas are very good, especially on a tortilla spread with Nutella. Breakfast of champions!

We buy a lot of their nuts and dried fruit, both for hiking and for use at home. The turkey jerky is my favorite, though I need to try the bacon jerky. I gagged on the salmon jerky, even though I love all kinds of cured fish.

What's the point of living longer if you can't eat some chocolate now and then?

There it is!
Wayne

bigcranky
03-22-2017, 14:37
I don't need Trader Joes. The last time my wife went there the car alternator died and it cost me $$$.

If that had happened in the Giant Eagle parking lot, you'd have to shop only at Trader Joe's. :)

RangerZ
03-22-2017, 16:50
If that had happened in the Giant Eagle parking lot, you'd have to shop only at Trader Joe's. :)

I'd forgive it at the Eagle. At least I could get Oreos to eat while waiting for the tow truck.

kestral
03-22-2017, 17:35
Next time I'm in Orlando, I'm going to check it out! No tjs's in humble melbourne! Freeze buried fruit is my favorite go to snack:D

RangerZ
03-22-2017, 17:35
I'd forgive it at the Eagle. At least I could get Oreos to eat while waiting for the tow truck.

And I can get chipped ham at the Eagle.

bigcranky
03-22-2017, 21:17
And I can get chipped ham at the Eagle.

Aww, man, all the stuff I miss living in the South. Good kielbasa too, I bet.

FooFooCuddlyPoops
03-22-2017, 21:47
I am so upset with you guys. Th are closest trader joes is over 80 miles away. I am literally surrounded by them but they are way too far away.

RangerZ
03-22-2017, 21:57
Aww, man, all the stuff I miss living in the South. Good kielbasa too, I bet.

You even spelled it correctly.

Moosling
03-22-2017, 23:53
Liked the idea of using the coconut oil pack as a calorie booster, we have them here at the house for diaper rashes lol.

bigcranky
03-23-2017, 07:25
You even spelled it correctly.

You can take the boy out of Pennsylvania.....

We've had a TJ's in town for a couple of years. Before that we'd go when we visited my wife's family in the DC area. We'd go in and spend $300 and stock up on coffee, wine, nuts and dried fruit, chocolate, pretty much everything that wasn't frozen.

Every single time we did this, our credit card company would cancel our card due to "fraudulent activity". Every single time. Apparently spending $300 at a grocery store 300 miles from home isn't normal -- who knew? :)