PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Winter hiking!

dixiehiker
01-25-2006, 18:12
I would love to get some advice from you all out there who are more experienced at winter hiking! I'll admit, we come from an area where we seldom see snow, and the few times we've been to the Smokies in winter, we are at a loss. We are going back next month in fact, and I have several trails I want to walk, but I'm a bit un-nerved, because I don't know how to handle the ice and snow safely.

First of all, HOW do you keep to a trail and not lose your way when hiking on a snow covered trail? I can't imagine not losing your way.

Secondly, what is the best way to hike over icy spots? We climbed the Chimney Tops in the Smokies a couple of years ago, came across a large icy patch, and busted our bottoms...and nearly fell down a STEEP cliff off the trail. It's kind of frightened me off of winter hiking, and I tend to stick to the lower elevations.

But, I don't want to be that way! I want to enjoy winter hiking even in the higher elevations! I'd appreciate ANY help you can give me on snow and ice hiking, not losing my way, how to get over and walk on ice, and how best to keep warm on day hikes in winter.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-dixiehiker :confused:

Alligator
01-25-2006, 18:18
I would love to get some advice from you all out there who are more experienced at winter hiking! I'll admit, we come from an area where we seldom see snow, and the few times we've been to the Smokies in winter, we are at a loss. We are going back next month in fact, and I have several trails I want to walk, but I'm a bit un-nerved, because I don't know how to handle the ice and snow safely.

First of all, HOW do you keep to a trail and not lose your way when hiking on a snow covered trail? I can't imagine not losing your way.

Secondly, what is the best way to hike over icy spots? We climbed the Chimney Tops in the Smokies a couple of years ago, came across a large icy patch, and busted our bottoms...and nearly fell down a STEEP cliff off the trail. It's kind of frightened me off of winter hiking, and I tend to stick to the lower elevations.

But, I don't want to be that way! I want to enjoy winter hiking even in the higher elevations! I'd appreciate ANY help you can give me on snow and ice hiking, not losing my way, how to get over and walk on ice, and how best to keep warm on day hikes in winter.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-dixiehiker :confused:
Yaktrax or crampons for slippage.
Layer your clothing, including hats, gloves, neck gaiters. Don't stop very long. Put warmer clothes on when you do stop to retain heat.
It doesn't take long to realize you are off trail. On the wrong trail or wrong direction is a different matter:D .

general
01-25-2006, 18:20
even snow covered, the trail is a usually noticeable indention in the earth. sometimes you can loose it though, in which case, back track to the last place you were on trail for sure, and go from there. i usually just wing it on ice but i see how crampons would be effective.

TwoForty
01-25-2006, 19:13
I've never lost a (maintained) trail in the smokies. Snow or not. With the snow, you can actually see where others have stepped.
Look into instep crampons or yaktrax. Do not get full on mountaineering crampons! They work, but they are overkill and a pain to put on and take off.
Most icy sections are only a few steps.

The Solemates
01-26-2006, 13:18
ive never worn yaktrax, in-steps, crampons, or anything on my feet while hiking in the southern appalachians, even in snow. and ive never used poles either. they arent needed. just be careful on the snowy, icy sections by making good decision about foot placement and by slowing your pace down a little if needed. and dont worry about losing the trail through the smokies. its like a highway. dont be timid, you will be fine.

bulldog49
01-26-2006, 13:50
If the footing is too bad I just sit on butt and slide along.

vipahman
01-26-2006, 14:29
Layer up. I use a silkweight inner layer with a merino wool middle layer and an outer waterproof shell. You start out cold but within 30 minutes you work up enough heat. For those long stops or overnights, I keep an additional layer handy. For gloves, I use these <a href=http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=39155757>convertible mittens</a> since they work amazingly well. A hat, especially one that covers yours ears is great. Hiking poles are good because they reduce the number of face plants when you step into those 2'-3' snow drifts.

As to losing the trail, white blazes are always visible. Besides, the trail is usually visible as the more worn path even if it covered in unbroken snow. You will not get lost.

Waterproof boots with gaitors are a must in snow over 6" or you will get cold and wet feet. Sunglasses to protect from ice blindness and cold winds. Crampons are overkill for casual hiking. Yaktrax is more like it.

Moxie00
01-26-2006, 15:03
My wife and I just came in from a wintwr hike here in Maine. There was about a foot of snow and no one had made tracke ahead of us. Dress in layers, avoid cotton, you know all that. For Christmas we both got MSR Denali Snowshoes. They are small, fit right on your pack, and have two built in crampons. Look into them, no problem in snow or ice. Using our Leiki poles we hike as fast as we do on a July day and we were on steep grades, fairly deep snow in places and alot of ice where the snow had blown off. They are pricy at about $130 a pair but they open up a new world of winter hiking we could never do in Maine without them.

Alligator
01-26-2006, 16:13
...For Christmas we both got MSR Denali Snowshoes. They are small, fit right on your pack, and have two built in crampons. Look into them, no problem in snow or ice...
I'd suggest caution in relying on snowshoes in place of crampons. My buddy and I were on a 3000 footer in the Whites during winter. We were new to winter hiking, but another friend lent us some snowshoes. We figured the teeth on the shoe might give us help with the ice. When we got to the top, it was a whole sheet of ice, so we tried the snowshoes. It went well for a little while until the shoes failed to penetrate the ice. Then we started sliding off the top. Since shoes are meant to provide flotation, it was difficult to stop. We ended up just dropping down to stop. We should have had crampons and we should have had an ice ax.

Obviously something would have helped since Dixiehiker had difficulty. I can think of at least two trips were some sort of assistive device would have greatly reduced the risk. It will be a long cold wait if you get incapacitated.

Low Rider
01-26-2006, 16:51
Something I learned the hard way: If it is below freezing at night and you are not in an enclosed shelter or tent, sleep with your wet boots at the bottom of your sleeping bag to avoid them being frozen solid the morning! I just used a large black trash bag. They'll still be wet in the morning but the only thing worse than cold wet boots in the morning is ice block boots in the morning!

The Solemates
01-27-2006, 11:06
Something I learned the hard way: If it is below freezing at night and you are not in an enclosed shelter or tent, sleep with your wet boots at the bottom of your sleeping bag to avoid them being frozen solid the morning! I just used a large black trash bag. They'll still be wet in the morning but the only thing worse than cold wet boots in the morning is ice block boots in the morning!

this was an everyday occurence for us on our thru. i just learned to deal with it because i would rather have ice chunks for boots (your feet will warm up in about an hour :)) than to sleep with boots in an already filled up sleeping bag (im 6'4"). but my wife, on the other hand, who is 5'2" and has a bag that will accomodate someone who is 6', had no problem with putting her boots, our water, water filter, and stove fuel in the bottom of her bag.