PDA

View Full Version : Tatoo for AT, Hiking, Mountains, & Camping?

daveiniowa
03-22-2017, 10:37
I do not have any tatoos. My wife has several. I was never really interested in getting any because I did not feel passionate enough about anything, because I have changed so much over the years. If I got a tattoo years ago I am sure it would mean very little to me today. Then one day within the last few months, I realized that hiking and camping, etc. has always been there for me. I love it so much that I think I could get a small tattoo representing what I love to do so much. But what? Where?

Art work? Mountains? Words? And would anyone that saw it even understand it?

So I am looking for ideas here. Hike on.

Gambit McCrae
03-22-2017, 10:51
I have always felt the same way.. I don't need skin badges to show my accomplishments or accolades. However since it has come apparent that I am capable of completing the AT in due time, and my legs are what will have carried me the path I have thought about getting the stereotypical AT on the calves. But then again I may not. I have done many things longer then hike the AT I do not have a tattoo of.

TTT
03-22-2017, 10:54
Get a tick tattooed on your ankle

dudeijuststarted
03-22-2017, 11:15
I got the AT logo on my calf with the Presidentials behind it. Figured hell I earned it, and with my thru hike 3 years behind me it serves as a constant reminder of the greatest thing I've ever done with my life. Living in FL, very few people know what it is, but when people do it makes a great conversation piece.

Do as you see fit.

devoidapop
03-22-2017, 11:37
I always recommend going to a tattoo convention for a first timer. You can talk to dozens of artists, see who's work you like, who you connect with, and find someone who is interested in your tattoo. You will enjoy the experience and your ink a lot more if the artist has fun doing it.

RangerZ
03-22-2017, 12:16
I would not, but I've seen the boot print tattoos.

Dogwood
03-22-2017, 12:25
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/webkit-fake-url://92F064C5-886A-4C5D-B3B3-BD63E132BFB6/490a1c1f6663e79b0bf7df3707890ec4.jpg

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/webkit-fake-url://0963D79E-2718-44D9-8A43-CDFB0E424D5F/5cf4615177dd055206964a4c57f8495b.jpg

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/webkit-fake-url://FE41AE6F-D322-4817-9A40-F4F014B69B96/minimalist.jpg

Saw this in person and knew what it represented immediately. Others not so much with some crass remarks.

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/webkit-fake-url://3C840253-1D3B-4E7F-BCB2-FA7BA4363696/a9d405a224cdd3e9a8fb9b24740ed32f.jpg

I have a fetish for mountain tats on climbing and hiking woman's feet tastefully done.

One Half
03-22-2017, 15:09
I always recommend going to a tattoo convention for a first timer. You can talk to dozens of artists, see who's work you like, who you connect with, and find someone who is interested in your tattoo. You will enjoy the experience and your ink a lot more if the artist has fun doing it.

This is excellent advice. This is what I did. I got my first tattoo at 44. I literally wear my heart on my sleeve. My tattoo is a tribute to our daughter who died named Autumn and it is fall leaves of New England. I knew what I was looking for in a tattoo so I found an artist who could do the work.

This is mine.

BuckeyeBill
03-22-2017, 16:09
This is excellent advice. This is what I did. I got my first tattoo at 44. I literally wear my heart on my sleeve. My tattoo is a tribute to our daughter who died named Autumn and it is fall leaves of New England. I knew what I was looking for in a tattoo so I found an artist who could do the work.

This is mine.

That is a truly beautiful work of art.

Storm
03-22-2017, 22:28
I have a small lighting bolt on the outside of my right calf.

Francis Sawyer
03-23-2017, 08:49
I am also considering a tattoo " I make poor decisions"

greensleep
03-23-2017, 09:08
I am also considering a tattoo " I make poor decisions"
I'm also considering this. Think I'll try it out first with a simple henna tattoo; "forever".

One Half
03-23-2017, 09:51
That is a truly beautiful work of art.

Thank you.

It took me 18 years to figure out what I wanted and find the artist to do it.

hikernutcasey
03-23-2017, 10:19

This is mine.

That is an incredible tattoo and an awesome tribute to your daughter. Just beautiful.

I only have one tattoo and it is in honor of the trail. Here is mine:

dcdennis
03-23-2017, 10:32
http://imgur.com/a/D32zG

dcdennis
03-23-2017, 10:32
http://imgur.com/a/D32zG

dcdennis
03-23-2017, 10:35

This is mine.

amazing.nothingelsetobesaid.

FrogLevel
03-23-2017, 11:31

This is mine.

That's amazing. How much does something like that cost?

cmoulder
03-23-2017, 13:43
Tatoo for AT, Hiking, Mountains, & Camping?
Whatever you get, double-check the spelling before committing, lol. :D

Reminds me of that Milky Way ad, "NO REGERTS (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u41ol5Uys4)" :)

Engine
03-23-2017, 18:57
I do not have any tatoos. My wife has several. I was never really interested in getting any because I did not feel passionate enough about anything, because I have changed so much over the years. If I got a tattoo years ago I am sure it would mean very little to me today. Then one day within the last few months, I realized that hiking and camping, etc. has always been there for me. I love it so much that I think I could get a small tattoo representing what I love to do so much. But what? Where?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170323/c4b6e5c1847215b6b5ef15c021ea0194.jpg

My daughter's...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

One Half
03-23-2017, 19:02
That's amazing. How much does something like that cost?

Would depend on the artist. This was about 15 hours of inking time. Plus a fee for the "setup" (short money really)- he traces the arm, transferred the picture to some special paper (the outlines really) that reminded me of mimeograph paper and applied the "ink" from that to my arm. That was the outlines of the leaves and branch. He did all the outline and some fill the first day, mostly the black. My mom commented it looked like a halloween tattoo with just the black done. Then we had 4 more sessions of just inking. It would have been 3 sessions but he went really slow on the 4th session cause he wasn't feeling great. If I ever get another, I'm flying to him to have it done.

daveiniowa
03-24-2017, 05:47
Thank you every one for sharing. All really nice art work and unique ideas. Just seeing some of these trail based tats is getting my mind turning.

Riocielo
03-24-2017, 06:02
I have four tattoos, all which can be concealed if I desire. Once you think you have your perfect design, wait 6 months before you get it done. It's amazing how your thoughts can change in such a short period of time.
I did this with all four of mine and I am still happy with them, but they each also have special meanings for me.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

linus72
03-24-2017, 10:19
tattoos are usually chosen to symbolize something special and meaningful in a persons life. i just added a small A.T. logo to one of my tattoos because its a huge part of my life still and is the first real trail i hiked on as a child so its always been there for me. you don't need to thru hike to get A.T. ink, though i sure understand why thrus do, its holds huge meaning in their lives too.

rocketsocks
03-24-2017, 11:39
I got a scar on my knee when I did a face plant on the AT, does that count?

carouselambra
03-24-2017, 15:40
I saw a bumper sticker once that read "Scars Are a Tattoo With a Better Story".

MtDoraDave
03-26-2017, 07:36
I have four tattoos, all which can be concealed if I desire. Once you think you have your perfect design, wait 6 months before you get it done. It's amazing how your thoughts can change in such a short period of time.
I did this with all four of mine and I am still happy with them, but they each also have special meanings for me.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I received similar advice from an instructor when I was in the military. So far, nothing has passed the test. I'm not anti-tattoo, and I have been trying to come up with a hiking or AT inspired tat... If and when I come up with one that passes the test, it will be my first.

I like the stylized hiker symbol used by this website...

devoidapop
03-26-2017, 09:11
My personal philosophy on tattoos is that there is no right way to do it. There are a million wrong ways and then there's your way. It's your body, your art, your life.

ScareBear
03-26-2017, 09:42
That is an incredible tattoo and an awesome tribute to your daughter. Just beautiful.

I only have one tattoo and it is in honor of the trail. Here is mine:

And, I thought I'd seen everything...

hikernutcasey
03-26-2017, 09:59
What's that supposed to mean?

BuckeyeBill
03-26-2017, 10:11
I don't know what he meant, but I think that your tat is very original and well done.

Traffic Jam
03-26-2017, 10:14
Very nice tattoos everyone, thanks for sharing.

I love tattoos and have been thinking about the next one. Have made a note to avoid anything hiking-related on my feet.

ScareBear
03-26-2017, 10:16
Very nice tattoos everyone, thanks for sharing.

I love tattoos and have been thinking about the next one. Have made a note to avoid anything hiking-related on my feet.

Ummm..yes..good idea!

I think that AT log and tree tat would look stunning on your back...but in color...

Traffic Jam
03-26-2017, 10:20
Ummm..yes..good idea!

I think that AT log and tree tat would look stunning on your back...but in color...

Dont give me ideas! Actually, the next one will link up two on my back and will be something floral.

ScareBear
03-26-2017, 10:33
Dont give me ideas! Actually, the next one will link up two on my back and will be something floral.

As long as you don't take tips on tats from this cat.38859

Engine
03-26-2017, 20:57
Maybe if you were hiking in New Zealand...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
03-26-2017, 22:17
Im not much on tatoos personally.

I would sum up my view as....its your body.
You have a right to do whatever you want to it.
But other people have a right to snicker, laugh, and judge you by it as well
And many will
So not decision to make lightly

Oh, i have little respect for tatoos people intentionally hide, thats a cop out.

Invariably I find that really stupid people, have really stupid tatoos...poorly done too...for some reason. Some homemade.... Wish I had a pic of my bro in law.... But the dude in post above actually got him beat.

Trailweaver
03-26-2017, 22:47
To Hikernutcasey - (I don't know how to do the quotes thingy) - I think Scare Bear was just commenting on your tat - and maybe not in a negative way. I looked at the photo for while before I figured it out. . . I like it, and it's an unusual rendering of the AT logo. At first I was trying to "read" the little squiggly lines inside the circle (thought maybe it was names of the shelters?) until I figured out the design is a tree and it's the year lines. At any rate, you got a great design, and one that is uniquely yours!

Traffic Jam
03-27-2017, 08:13
Im not much on tatoos personally.

I would sum up my view as....its your body.
You have a right to do whatever you want to it.
But other people have a right to snicker, laugh, and judge you by it as well
And many will
So not decision to make lightly

Oh, i have little respect for tatoos people intentionally hide, thats a cop out.

Invariably I find that really stupid people, have really stupid tatoos...poorly done too...for some reason. Some homemade.... Wish I had a pic of my bro in law.... But the dude in post above actually got him beat.

Not sure why you think it's a "cop out" when a tattoo is hidden. A tattoo is personal and has meaning to the person who has it...it isn't acquired for you or your viewing pleasure.

Francis Sawyer
03-27-2017, 08:19
I have a tattoo but it's on the inside.

daveiniowa
03-27-2017, 08:37

Meoooowwwww

hikernutcasey
03-27-2017, 08:51
To Hikernutcasey - (I don't know how to do the quotes thingy) - I think Scare Bear was just commenting on your tat - and maybe not in a negative way. I looked at the photo for while before I figured it out. . . I like it, and it's an unusual rendering of the AT logo. At first I was trying to "read" the little squiggly lines inside the circle (thought maybe it was names of the shelters?) until I figured out the design is a tree and it's the year lines. At any rate, you got a great design, and one that is uniquely yours!Thanks man!

lesliedgray
03-27-2017, 08:56

This is mine.

Truly beautiful.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
03-27-2017, 09:28
Not sure why you think it's a "cop out" when a tattoo is hidden. A tattoo is personal and has meaning to the person who has it...it isn't acquired for you or your viewing pleasure.

Theres no pleasure in viewing vast majority of tatoos, or bodies sporting them...

The difference between art, and graffitti, is often only location

Traffic Jam
03-27-2017, 09:47
Theres no pleasure in viewing vast majority of tatoos, or bodies sporting them...

The difference between art, and graffitti, is often only location

Sorry, I don't understand. It sounds like you'd appreciate people not being flamboyant with their tattoos and bodies by choosing to be discreet, instead of criticizing that it's a "cop out".

Odd Man Out
03-27-2017, 10:57
I'll get a "HYOH" on one calf and "You're doing it wrong" on the other ;-)

BuckeyeBill
03-27-2017, 11:01

I agree. While I don't understand some tats I've seen, no one asked me to get one like on my body.

devoidapop
03-27-2017, 11:22

The difference between art, and graffitti, is often only location[/QUOTE]

The difference between art and graffiti would be ownership and the right to perform said art. Your body, your art. I have tattoos from my ear lobes to my tippy toes. I find that if I don't make a big deal out of them others do the same.

rocketsocks
03-27-2017, 11:44
Every time I think about getting one, there's always something else that needs doin' with $400 bucks. Think I'll give myself one with needle and ink.

rocketsocks
03-27-2017, 12:01
...thinkin' about a bake potato on my forearm, with butter.

MuddyWaters
03-27-2017, 15:37
Sorry, I don't understand. It sounds like you'd appreciate people not being flamboyant with their tattoos and bodies by choosing to be discreet, instead of criticizing that it's a "cop out".

You have every right to do as you like with your body.

You also might have the right to paint polka dotted shutters on your house, and put up a zebra striped fence.

But if I have to look at it.....I will call it like I see it.

Whats displayed on your skin , can say as much about you to others as how you dress, act, or speak.

Whats anyones impression of this guy?
high achiever?
Smart?
Good match for your daughter?

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=38859

Ill defend this guys right to destroy his face
But id also tell him.....mistake....big frickin mistake

Mags
03-27-2017, 16:28
* Scar tissue on my arms and legs from falls, scrapes, and other mishaps from 20 years of outdoor fun.
* Sun-spots on my cheek bones from being blase' about sun protection when I was younger
* Wrinkles in the corner of my eyes when I smile now that I am in my 40s. Partially related to item two above.

I guess those are my outdoor tatoos. :)

hikernutcasey
03-27-2017, 16:31

You also might have the right to paint polka dotted shutters on your house, and put up a zebra striped fence.

Whats displayed on your skin , can say as much about you to others as how you dress, act, or speak.

high achiever?
Smart?

But id also tell him.....mistake....big frickin mistakeI think most of us would agree that the guy you linked to probably didn't think that through very well but it's a big jump from that to someone getting a tattoo that is personal and means something to them and is tastefully done.

Your statements seem very judgemental in nature and for those of us who have made the decision to get a tattoo it comes across as offensive. Look, I don't really care what you think of my tattoo or anyone's for that matter but making blanket derogatory statements isn't cool. Just because you have a tattoo doesn't mean you are a degenerate, underachieving, dumb or have necessarily made a mistake. If it isn't for you fine, but don't judge people because they are different than you.

MuddyWaters
03-27-2017, 17:09
I think most of us would agree that the guy you linked to probably didn't think that through very well but it's a big jump from that to someone getting a tattoo that is personal and means something to them and is tastefully done.

Your statements seem very judgemental in nature and for those of us who have made the decision to get a tattoo it comes across as offensive. Look, I don't really care what you think of my tattoo or anyone's for that matter but making blanket derogatory statements isn't cool. Just because you have a tattoo doesn't mean you are a degenerate, underachieving, dumb or have necessarily made a mistake. If it isn't for you fine, but don't judge people because they are different than you.

I honestly dont care if someone had a tattoo.

But people have every right to be judgemental about choices others make, and their appearance.

And trust me, they are. Maybe not to someones face, but they are.

If someone deviates voluntarily from generally accepted norms in appearance . Thats their choice, but their problem, and they must live with any consequences. Visible tattoos may disqualify you from many jobs, or prejudice people about you. Things to consider first, you know?

Im not here to protect anyones ego.

Traffic Jam
03-27-2017, 17:24

high achiever?
Smart?

Hey, I totally got this part. What I don't get is why you think it's a "cop out" for someone to hide their tattoo!?! You're saying opposite things.

But no matter, it wasn't my intention to get into a stupid argument...I was merely curious. :)

Traffic Jam
03-27-2017, 17:43
...thinkin' about a bake potato on my forearm, with butter.

You ain't right. :D

Traffic Jam
03-27-2017, 17:46

I'm partial to compass tattoos. Check out Pinterest for ideas.

MuddyWaters
03-27-2017, 17:47
Hey, I totally got this part. What I don't get is why you think it's a "cop out" for someone to hide their tattoo!?! You're saying opposite things.

But no matter, it wasn't my intention to get into a stupid argument...I was merely curious. :)

Not proud enough of it, or afraid of repercussions to display it.

I got more respect for the guy that tattoos a giant spider on his face (even if I think hes a dumbass), that the person that hides a butterfly next to their areola...

Friend of mine got fraternity letters on his ankle in college
Within a few weeks, he realized he only got it because he wanted his fraternity bros to think he was cool. He kept it covered with sock and was ashamed if it really. About a year later he asked his dad to pay for it to be removed.

devoidapop
03-27-2017, 18:17
"Generally accepted norms"?

I'm pretty sure MW is my father in law. Lol

ScareBear
03-27-2017, 19:34

I'm partial to highway warning signs....

linus72
03-29-2017, 10:36

I have an older compass tattoo with some A.T. art just added last week. pm a message to me if you want to see it. I dont feel like getting the abuse from the snarky judgemental types here who’s opinion means nothing to me.

TexasBob
03-29-2017, 17:27
high achiever?
Smart?

I think his money would have been better spent seeing a psychiatrist. That boy needs help not a tatoo.

rocketsocks
03-29-2017, 18:56
I think his money would have been better spent seeing a psychiatrist. That boy needs help not a tatoo.a great visual indicator of brain damage without the need for high priced magnetic imaging.

Traveler
03-30-2017, 08:02
Unfortunately as we age, tattoos do too.....

Young person standing behind a someone in line at the beach, "Hey, is that a tattoo of "The Scream"?

"No, it used to be a butterfly".

devoidapop
03-30-2017, 13:53
I got the image of a Far Side comic. Two bears comparing hiker tattoos.

Traffic Jam
03-30-2017, 14:44
Unfortunately as we age, tattoos do too.....

Young person standing behind a someone in line at the beach, "Hey, is that a tattoo of "The Scream"?

"No, it used to be a butterfly".

One of mine is 30+ years old... I had the color redone a few years ago as it was becoming very faded.

Greenlight
03-30-2017, 22:21
38900This is the one I'm getting in a few weeks. Once I thru the AT, I'll have the logo emblazed in one of the treads, and if I eventually Triple Crown as I'm planning, I'll do the same for the other two, adding another boot to contain the CDT.

Verdant
03-31-2017, 17:35
I'm in the process of planning a large tattoo piece to represent my love for nature in general. For me, I want my tattoo to have meaning behind it, so I've put a lot of thought into it over the years.

Essentially, the idea is for it to be a sleeve tattoo. Starting at my wrist with trees and such encircling my wrist, the piece will move into mountainous scenery on my mid to upper forearm area, and above my elbow but below my shoulder it will move into constellations and planets, ending with a Tree of Life centered on my shoulder. The Tree of Life's roots will "drip" almost like running ink into the rest of the sleeve.

That's my general idea of what I want, but i'm going to get with the artist and let him be the authority on what would or wouldn't work, and just let him work his magic, man.

One Half
03-31-2017, 17:57
One of mine is 30+ years old... I had the color redone a few years ago as it was becoming very faded.

keep it moisturized I was told so I use coconut oil on mine nearly every day. And sun fades them. Not so easy to avoid. But yes, I plan on having the color redone when it becomes necessary.