PDA

View Full Version : Seeds of Change More Costco gold?

Moosling
03-22-2017, 22:22
My wife found this today at a sample stand at Costco. My 3 year old and 9 month old loved it so instant buy for us. I tried it when I got home from work and it's very tasty. $10 for a box of 6, 2 servings per pouch. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170323/e6a23e49bf94efaef66ef199d8bb538d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loguon_theguy
03-22-2017, 22:32
mmmmmmm that does look tasty. What are the full nutrition facts? Just curious

Moosling
03-22-2017, 22:40
mmmmmmm that does look tasty. What are the full nutrition facts? Just curious

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/seeds-of-change-quinoa-brown-rice-w-garlic-pat-m-48722492

I thought this would be really good with some tuna or even salmon.

Dogwood
03-23-2017, 00:42
I enjoy it. It's an exceptional price at Costco for the multi package as the OP comments. It's precooked and damp, but not drenched, so just warm. Can be eaten tepid with, as said, salmon, tuna, a EPIC or KRAVE Bar crumbled into it. Doesn't need to be cooked which saves time and fuel wt. The saved fuel wt helps offset the increased moisture content. It's more nutritious than white rice. Raise the nutrition and cal/oz ratio by adding EVOO, edamame, flax/chia/sesame seed/meal, nuts, sprouts, fresh garlic, fresh ginger, fresh turmeric, etc. I've eaten cold(tepid) in the morning with dried and trail found berries, almonds, shelled hemp seed, a nut butter, and a dried milk like coconut milk powder reconstituted with some tepid water.

Cheyou
03-23-2017, 06:47
400mg sodium no thanks .

Thom

Dogwood
03-23-2017, 11:49
In the larger scheme of things that doesn't have to be viewed as a tremendously salty food given: 1) the amount of salts one can lose when breaking a sweat 12 hrs/day backpacking 2) the 800 mg Na for the 2 portion 8.5 oz package or 34% of the RDA's Na intake is based only on a 2000 cal/day diet. Most hikers can warrant 4000+ cals/day when hiking. This makes the entire 8.5 oz 2 portion package 17% of the days Na RDA. 3) the Na intake can be mitigated by consuming with potassium rich foods which can be found in tuna, greens - Swiss Chard and Spinach, vegetables and fruits, apricots, various beans - black and white beans, sweet potatoes, coconut water or coconut milk powder... These all pair well with the product. 4) the product can be pre rinsed to reduce sodium and further possibly reduce fuel usage if being warmed 5) a low total daily Na intake can still be met by balancing out one saltyish serving eaten slowly with fiber and added K containing ingredients with non slaty snacks and meals

Hikingjim
03-23-2017, 14:14
Walmart also has a bunch of kinds from this brand. A bit more expensive than the costco bulk, but not bad

https://www.walmart.com/c/brand/seeds-of-change

Sodium is a touch less in some of the others, but not low. I don't care about elevated sodium levels when hiking though (unless it's pretty extreme)

ranger2012
03-23-2017, 14:49
Nice, I'm always looking for new trail food but I feel like I'm missing something with the weight on this item? 8.5oz for 480 calories how is that even possible? My brain hurts.

backtrack213
03-24-2017, 10:16
Nice, I'm always looking for new trail food but I feel like I'm missing something with the weight on this item? 8.5oz for 480 calories how is that even possible? My brain hurts.

The food is prepared and ready to eat straight out of the bag no need to rehydrate. You can place the bag in boiling water to heat it up but you can eat as is hence why its so heavy.

Cheyou
03-24-2017, 10:27
Ok I get it all that's missing is the can. I thought the s was a "gold " thread. Looks more like lead or iron:0)

Thom

Venchka
03-24-2017, 14:38
Given the Mass Hysteria over senseless grams, this product would seem to be a non-starter.
Meanwhile, I'm enjoying Hemp Hearts from Manitoba Harvest. Raw shelled hemp seeds added to steel cut oats, mashed potatoes, virtually anything.
Enjoy.
Wayne

linus72
03-24-2017, 16:43
as stated above, sodium is actually a good thing on the trail when its hot and you're sweating up a storm. i even put salt packets in my water when thats the case to keep from cramping up. i think i read it was an old army trick.

Venchka
03-24-2017, 17:45
as stated above, sodium is actually a good thing on the trail when its hot and you're sweating up a storm. i even put salt packets in my water when thats the case to keep from cramping up. i think i read it was an old army trick.
I'm old. I was in the Army. It was a trick.
Sometime in the 70s or 80s a body of research was produced by sports nutritionists contradicting the long established practice of taking golf ball sized salt tablets while exercising in the heat. Which is what the U.S. Army did to us in the 60s. I have long since lost tract of the sources. Perhaps one of the Whiteblaze Medical Experts will have something to add? I'm afraid my Pacemaker is getting in the way.
Wayne

Venchka
03-24-2017, 17:45
I'm old. I was in the Army. It was a trick.
Sometime in the 70s or 80s a body of research was produced by sports nutritionists contradicting the long established practice of taking golf ball sized salt tablets while exercising in the heat. Which is what the U.S. Army did to us in the 60s. I have long since lost tract of the sources. Perhaps one of the Whiteblaze Medical Experts will have something to add? I'm afraid my Pacemaker is getting in the way.
Wayne