PDA

View Full Version : Do you keep your canister stove in the supplied plastic case when backpacking?

Braveheart_SOBO13
03-23-2017, 10:56
I used a Jetboil Flash on my first thru hike and recently purchased a MSR Microrocket stove cut down on weight. I am debating whether it's better to keep my stove in the plastic case while hiking or if I'd be ok without using it as it adds extra bulk to my cook set. Do you have to worry about a damp pot messing up the stove when storing it without the case for the evening? I always clean my pots before storing them at night, but I don't always get them perfectly dry.

evyck da fleet
03-23-2017, 11:25
Yes but so that the points of the stove don't catch on something in my pack and tear it suck as my food bag and so the gas handle doesn't catch on any part of the cook set and break.

Slo-go'en
03-23-2017, 11:28
Using the plastic case would insure it doesn't get damaged or clogged with dirt or something. The burner I bought only came with a cloth bag and doesn't fit inside my cook kit (only the canister fits inside the pot) so I just put the burner in a zip lock and carry it in my food bag and have had no issues - so far.

Slo-go'en
03-23-2017, 11:35
Okay, I had to look it up. If you can fit the burner into your cook set, I'd think that would be okay especially if you can fit it into a zip lock bag too. Otherwise you'd want to use the case to keep the sharp edges of the pot stand arms from ripping open a stuff sack.

I have a snow peak burner and that I can put in a zip lock and carry in my food bag with no issues. It won't fit into cook pot with a fuel canister and inside the pot is where I carry the canister.

rocketsocks
03-23-2017, 11:43
I wrap mine in my kitchen towel and it goes in my pot.

Cheyou
03-23-2017, 12:38
Using the plastic case would insure it doesn't get damaged or clogged with dirt or something. The burner I bought only came with a cloth bag and doesn't fit inside my cook kit (only the canister fits inside the pot) so I just put the burner in a zip lock and carry it in my food bag and have had no issues - so far.

8000th posts wow .

i have nothing to add to this thread. I leave mine at home. :0)

thom

H I T C H
03-23-2017, 13:47
I would be leary of putting the burner inside of the pot without some layer of protection to keep from damaging the Non-stick finish.

Hitch

Rex Clifton
03-23-2017, 14:03
The case is too bulky. I use a small stuff sack that originally came with a pair of headphones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hikingjim
03-23-2017, 14:40
Depends on stove. I have the pocket rocket 2, and I like the little case. Not bulky at all

FeistyNZChick
03-23-2017, 15:30
Nah I don't. I tie the stove down with thin rubber bands and pop it in a snap lock bag. The original stove housing is too heavy. The stoves can put up with a fair bit of knocking around and soaking

MtDoraDave
03-23-2017, 15:38
If it fit inside with it, I would have. It's not THAT heavy. I have a Ti pot, a Ti cup, the stove and a can of fuel. The fuel fits inside the cup, the cup fits inside the pot, and the stove (but not the case) fits in the pot beside the cup.

Yes, it has scratched up the non-stick surface, but that hasn't caused me any trouble. If I had a small sack to put it in, I would.
Maybe use a small sock?

JPritch
03-23-2017, 16:18
I have the issue where the fuel canister fits inside my pot, but not at the same time as my stove.

So what do you suggest filling the empty space in my pot with, since the canister clanks around inside it when I walk. A sponge is too small. Was thinking of my sleep undies, but I don't think I want any food smells around my man parts whilst I sleep.

grubbster
03-23-2017, 16:42
I have the issue where the fuel canister fits inside my pot, but not at the same time as my stove.

So what do you suggest filling the empty space in my pot with, since the canister clanks around inside it when I walk. A sponge is too small. Was thinking of my sleep undies, but I don't think I want any food smells around my man parts whilst I sleep.
Paper towels or a bandana.

MtDoraDave
03-23-2017, 17:25
...Or a small sock.

egilbe
03-23-2017, 17:39
I use my Caldera Cone case to store my Canister stove in, with a lighter. I use the Caldera case as a cup, cook in my pot, use the cone as a windshield. Fuel goes in the pot with a bandana that doubles as a pot holder. If I don't use a canister stove, my fuel bottle and stove (alcohol) goes in the Caldera cone case. It saves a little bit of weight, but uses the same amount of space. In that case, my cook pot is mostly empty.

The Snowman
03-23-2017, 18:41
On the trail I keep my small Snowpeak stove in a little cloth bag that came with a GSI cookset and tahat and the cannester goes in my cookpot.

gbolt
03-23-2017, 21:07
I used to put the Microrocket into the black case and store it on top of the cup in the stuff sac. When I switched to the Toaks 750 Ti Pot, I drop the canister in with a bandana to keep it from "clanging" and then the Microrocket goes ontop (without the case). A lighter is in the mix as well. Lid goes on, then and X Mug fits over lid and top. It all goes into the Orange Toaks Stuff Sac. So my answer now is No case.

Turk6177
03-24-2017, 13:42
I keep mine in the plastic to protect it. The difference in weight vs. the risk of not protecting it is why I use it.

gbolt
03-24-2017, 16:44
I keep mine in the plastic to protect it. The difference in weight vs. the risk of not protecting it is why I use it.

I would typically agree with this risk argument. However, if we fast forward and the stove gets destroyed, what are we replacing it with? In my case a $10 different stove that has gotten great reviews at 1/5 the cost of the Microrocket. Easily found on Amazon and able to be shipped quickly and easily.

Turk6177
03-24-2017, 17:48
I have the pocket rocket not the micro rocket. I am not sure the cost difference.

egilbe
03-24-2017, 18:40
I would typically agree with this risk argument. However, if we fast forward and the stove gets destroyed, what are we replacing it with? In my case a $10 different stove that has gotten great reviews at 1/5 the cost of the Microrocket. Easily found on Amazon and able to be shipped quickly and easily.

That BRS-3000 is seen up and down the AT and other hiking trails. Hard to beat for the price

Christoph
03-24-2017, 19:37
Pocket Rocket here and while I took it in it's case the 1st time, I'm leaving it behind this time because I found my stove fits perfectly in my cookpot with the bandanna I already have for cleaning, wrapped around it so it dosn't rattle. Been counting ounces on this attempt so I'm leaving it home (not that it's all that heavy but it all adds up). If it didn't fit in my cookpot so perfectly, it would be in it's case for a little protection.

Bansko
03-24-2017, 21:48
I started with my old Giga Power in the plastic box, but when I switched to a smaller pot (Trek 700 from Trek 900) the box wouldn't fit inside the pot along with a canister. I put the stove inside a heady duty quart sized Ziploc, loosely wrapped, and then tossed it in the Trek 700 along with my folding spork, a small canister of fuel and a lighter. The loosely wrapped Ziploc acted as packaging material and kept everything from rattling annoyingly. A thick rubber band kept the lid on my pot.

It's funny how many things I never would have considered going without that became expendable during a thru hike. I used to think that people who gave up stoves and cooking were nuts. Not anymore. I still prefer them, but could easily go without for an extended period. A silly plastic stove box is completely expendable, but it never crossed my mind not to carry it in the past.

gbolt
03-25-2017, 20:04
That BRS-3000 is seen up and down the AT and other hiking trails. Hard to beat for the price

Yep... That's the one!

The Microrocket is about $10 more than the Pocketrocket but a little more compact. However, mute point if you can get the BRS 3000... Lol