PDA

View Full Version : Maps Questions

dtp81390
03-23-2017, 17:02
Hello all.

So currently i am planning a thru-hike several years down the road, I am not only interested in the AT but a lot of the sites visible from side trails.

I currently have David Millers AT Guide, and he is constantly referring to side trails, I just want to know what is down these side trails and if the side trails are worth taking.

I see a lot of reference to the Appalachian Trail Maps from Nat Geo, Do these include information on side trails or only the AT. Nat Geo also has the trails illustrated maps in segments, which I think would have more of the information I am looking for such as distances.

Does anyone know where I can access forest service maps or determine what the forest service trail numbers are for some of these side trails.

Any suggestions for maps, books or guides that could provide me with this information would be helpful. I want to take in everything possible, but I also need to be timely so I can complete my through hike, so I really need to determine how many side trips I am going to take so I want to find the best ones.

Slo-go'en
03-23-2017, 17:39
There are various types of side trails (blue blazes). Some lead to water, some to shelters, some to scenic vistas, some down to a trail head.

The ones your most interested in are the ones to water and shelters, which can be some distance off the trail, but typically less then a mile (over 3/10ths and most people say the heck with that!). The same goes with scenic vistas. If it's more then a few 100 yards off the trail, few bother. You got miles and miles to hike that day and doing side trips just cuts into those miles and makes the day longer.

After a while, thru hikers get jaded to vistas. Oh yea, another view, just like the last 100 I saw. Great another waterfall, big deal.

egilbe
03-23-2017, 17:42
There are various types of side trails (blue blazes). Some lead to water, some to shelters, some to scenic vistas, some down to a trail head.

The ones your most interested in are the ones to water and shelters, which can be some distance off the trail, but typically less then a mile (over 3/10ths and most people say the heck with that!). The same goes with scenic vistas. If it's more then a few 100 yards off the trail, few bother. You got miles and miles to hike that day and doing side trips just cuts into those miles and makes the day longer.

After a while, thru hikers get jaded to vistas. Oh yea, another view, just like the last 100 I saw. Great another waterfall, big deal.

LOL, I was talking to a couple through-hikers last year, and when they got to the HMW, they were stopping and looking at lakes and ponds with the same awe that they looked at views from atop mountains when they started in GA.

dtp81390
03-23-2017, 17:42
i completely understand that, and I have that information in the AT guide, but at least in the beginning of the trail I would like to take in these additional sites, before I get "jaded".

bigcranky
03-23-2017, 21:13
In addition to those mentioned, there are lots of other trails that meet/cross the AT. Many just head down the hill to a road, which isn't all that interesting (unless you need to get off the trail), but a few do go places you might want to see or visit. I like carrying maps when I hike. For years I took the official AT maps from the local trail clubs, but lately I've been using the National Geo maps. They have a set of booklets, about the size of a folded map, that cover large portions of the AT. We'll take that next month for our GA section. Combined with the Companion pages we'll have plenty of info.

Edit: we almost always take short side trails to a view. Kinda why we are out there.

Slo-go'en
03-23-2017, 21:41
i completely understand that, and I have that information in the AT guide, but at least in the beginning of the trail I would like to take in these additional sites, before I get "jaded".

Any time you see a trail junction and a sign pointing to a vista or waterfall, do it. Unless the weather is crap. Then just put your head down and keep going. Anything which is signed is usually worth going to see. But you will find the occasional unsigned, short blue blaze to open ledges with views. I make it a point to try and go to every one I come across and are usually worth the effort.

gpburdelljr
03-23-2017, 22:30
Any time you see a trail junction and a sign pointing to a vista or waterfall, do it. Unless the weather is crap. Then just put your head down and keep going. Anything which is signed is usually worth going to see. But you will find the occasional unsigned, short blue blaze to open ledges with views. I make it a point to try and go to every one I come across and are usually worth the effort.

To paraphrase Yogi Berra: When you come to a fork in the trail, take it.

4eyedbuzzard
03-24-2017, 05:43
IMO, the Nat Geo maps are at their best for exploring a limited area and planning section hikes, loops, etc. Usually they are only available for areas where there is an extensive trail system beyond just the AT corridor. While pretty detailed, they are criticized for not being updated very often and can lead you a bit astray at times. I'd add that you'd get very distracted from your thru-hike exploring a lot of side trails in places like GSMNP, SNP, The Whites, etc. For example, you could spend 6 months hiking "side trails" in the Whites and never hike the same trail twice. That said, The Whites are the one place it is very helpful to have a detailed map (and guide if you hike there a lot) due to all the intersecting trails and different trail names. The AT in the Whites, while clearly marked, is routed over pre-existing trails with about 30 different names.

illabelle
03-24-2017, 06:21

When we went through the Whites last summer, I remember coming to a junction with a sign for Thoreau Falls. It didn't say how far. I was tired, just wanted to keep going. My husband wanted to go see it. So he dropped his pack while I sat there and waited. A few minutes later he returned, showed me some photos, and insisted that I come see for myself. It truly was a beautiful waterfall/gorge, and less than 3 minutes off the AT. Well worth the effort!

dtp81390
03-24-2017, 08:13
IMO, the Nat Geo maps are at their best for exploring a limited area and planning section hikes, loops, etc. Usually they are only available for areas where there is an extensive trail system beyond just the AT corridor. While pretty detailed, they are criticized for not being updated very often and can lead you a bit astray at times. I'd add that you'd get very distracted from your thru-hike exploring a lot of side trails in places like GSMNP, SNP, The Whites, etc. For example, you could spend 6 months hiking "side trails" in the Whites and never hike the same trail twice. That said, The Whites are the one place it is very helpful to have a detailed map (and guide if you hike there a lot) due to all the intersecting trails and different trail names. The AT in the Whites, while clearly marked, is routed over pre-existing trails with about 30 different names.

Which maps are you referring too, is it the Appalachian Trail maps they have that are more like books or the Trails Illustrated maps that are basically just maps. How much information about the side trails are actually on these maps.

4eyedbuzzard
03-24-2017, 09:48
Which maps are you referring too, is it the Appalachian Trail maps they have that are more like books or the Trails Illustrated maps that are basically just maps. How much information about the side trails are actually on these maps.The Trails Illustrated maps generally show the topo lines, waterways, roads, the length of the trail, established shelters/campsites, points of interest like waterfalls, difficulty, etc. For the Whites a thru-hiker would benefit from having the AMC maps or Nat Geo TI maps, but the AMC White Mountain guide would be overkill. If I were thru-hiking I'd probably just go with AWOL's guide, and download a few maps of a few side hikes I wanted to do along the way. Guthook's app is very popular as well.

dzierzak
03-24-2017, 10:19
I know I'll be missing something, but what I understand that's out there are:
ATC Guide books
ATC trail maps (done by maintaining trail clubs)
ATC Data Book
Appalachian Thru-Hikers' Companion (trail guide book)
Whiteblaze Pages (trail guide book)
The A.T. Guide (trail guide book)
Trails Illustrated maps
NatGeo maps
Guthook's AT app

and probably other stuff.

Personally, I'm happy with the Thru-Hikers' Companion and ATC trail maps.
YMMV

dtp81390
03-24-2017, 10:26
The Trails Illustrated maps generally show the topo lines, waterways, roads, the length of the trail, established shelters/campsites, points of interest like waterfalls, difficulty, etc. For the Whites a thru-hiker would benefit from having the AMC maps or Nat Geo TI maps, but the AMC White Mountain guide would be overkill. If I were thru-hiking I'd probably just go with AWOL's guide, and download a few maps of a few side hikes I wanted to do along the way. Guthook's app is very popular as well.

Guthooks App, which one is this?

dzierzak
03-24-2017, 10:31
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/at-hiker-guthooks-guide/id605447532?mt=8

You do have to buy the maps separately.

dtp81390
03-24-2017, 10:40
Sorry but I am on android

Tennessee Viking
03-24-2017, 11:00
I will tell you this there are a number of side trails throughout the South. But a lot of them have less maintained than the AT. Some of the blue blazes are actual old AT routes which have been pushed as alternate/bypass routes.

The Nat Geo Maps are decent for their expanded view of area trails. But they lack in great detail of the actual route, use, and distance.

Some of the most notable scenic side trails I have visit in the TN/NC would be
Standing Indian summit
Rich Mtn Firetower (near Hot Springs)
Recently turned blue blaze Shelton Graves
Roan High Garedens and Bluff trails
Grassy Ridge
Overmountain Barn Shelter and road access
Laurel Fork Trail (you will get wet)
Jones Falls
Elk River Falls
Coon Den Falls
Laurel Fork Blue Blaze (if going into Hampton)
Virginia Creeper Trail

4eyedbuzzard
03-24-2017, 11:02
Sorry but I am on androidIt's available for Android, as well, I believe - check the play store. There's a free demo for the approach trail. No personal experience with it, so you'll have to get input from others.

Slo-go'en
03-24-2017, 11:28
. For example, you could spend 6 months hiking "side trails" in the Whites and never hike the same trail twice. That said, The Whites are the one place it is very helpful to have a detailed map (and guide if you hike there a lot) due to all the intersecting trails and different trail names

It took me three years to complete the 110 miles of RMC trails which crisscross the sides of Mt Madison, Mt Adams, Mt Jefferson and the other side of the valley. It's the ultimate traveling salesman problem of how to do this maze of trails, many which dead end, with a minimum of back tracking. There is probably an extra 40 miles of hiking to do the 100.

"Red lining" the AMC White Mountains map - hiking every trail on the map - can take years.

dtp81390
03-24-2017, 11:48
The goal is not to hike every trail, it is to determine what sites are worth seeing and finding the trail to go see them. For example, I think that it would be really cool to go see Lost Cove, Or a 100' waterfall in GSMNP. I am not trying to see everything, but am trying to maximize my experience especially if I only get one chance. I am also trying to get a sense of how many of these sites there are and how long it will take me in addition to hiking the AT, if it adds 7 days, then I start 7 days early. I know things on the AT are not this simple and unexpected things happen, but just using it the info to plan in some extra time on the trail. If I feel I can hike the AT in 5 months, but I give myself 6 months so I can do these other things, that is what I am trying to determine.

egilbe
03-24-2017, 12:46
Sorry but I am on android

Its on googleplay store too. I have Maine. It runs from RT26 to Katahdin. Need to buy NH to go south of RT26. He also has other apps for other trails. Some of them intersect with the AT.

peakbagger
03-24-2017, 14:18
FYI, the Maine MATC maps were sized intentionally at a scale that's sized large enough to include most blue blaze side trails. The tough part with Maine is that some of the side trails to "civilization" end up many miles away from civilization. That and the very poor to non existent cell service particularly east of Mt Bigelow to Katahdin means that if you get in trouble and need to get to civilization you may be out of luck with any technology that requires a cell connection. I collect old trail guides to maine and its surprising how many highway maps are cut up and folded into the bindings of these guides for what I expect is this purpose.

As a prior poster mentions you could spend years in the whites visiting spots off the AT. Most thru hikers just blast through and realistically the AT does hit the most scenic sections. It unfortunately skirts the headwall of the Great Gulf which is a very impressive glacial cirque. The real disappointing parts that many thru hikers miss are at Baxter State Park. The trail ends literally feet away from the Great Basin cirque which is surrounded by trails that many thru hikers skip as they are done and headed home. The infamous Knife Edge starts there and there is nothing on the AT like it plus the walk down Helon Taylor to Roaring brook isn't slumming either. There is also a very wild area north of the summit called Russell Pond which is accessed by two trails, Northern Peaks and Northwest Basin Trail that are hard to match along the AT for their remoteness and wild features.

Slo-go'en
03-24-2017, 16:00
To the OP, don't sweat the details. The majority of the side trail sights along the trail are short excursions that aren't going to add days to the hike. Just take them as the opportunity presents it's self.

Believe me, once you climb up onto the ridge in the GSMNP, your not going to want to drop 4000 feet to see something and then climb all the way back up again. And if you do deviate from the AT, your thru hiker pass is no longer valid so you have to make additional arrangements if your not going right back to an AT shelter.

Typically what adds days to the hike are side trips to town where you get stuck for a few days. Which happens a lot for various reasons.