PDA

View Full Version : Dartmonth sells parcel of land to AT

peakbagger
03-24-2017, 10:59
http://digital.vpr.net/post/dartmouth-college-sells-parcel-land-be-added-appalachian-trail?google_editors_picks=true#stream/0

Sounds like its good deal for both sides

rocketsocks
03-24-2017, 11:36
1.8 million, man that's a lot of bobble heads!

peakbagger
03-24-2017, 14:24
Dartmouth has one of biggest endowments around, they are awash with cash, 1.8 million is just a rounding error to them. They own an entire township in northern NH, the Dartmouth College Grant that they keep as retreat for the alumni staff and students.

gpburdelljr
03-24-2017, 15:32
How will the land be used?

TX Aggie
03-24-2017, 16:33
Wow, $10,000 per acre? That seems a bit generous.

egilbe
03-24-2017, 18:57
Wow, $10,000 per acre? That seems a bit generous.

If you think what a house lot goes for in MA, its very reasonable. Even in my rural neck of the woods, 2acre lots go for $40k to $60k

4eyedbuzzard
03-24-2017, 19:13
Here's a more detailed account of the transaction, which should be read before passing judgment either way on the merits of the acquisition https://news.dartmouth.edu/news/2017/03/hudson-farm-property-be-added-appalachian-trail

TX Aggie
03-24-2017, 19:33
If you think what a house lot goes for in MA, its very reasonable. Even in my rural neck of the woods, 2acre lots go for $40k to $60k

Thanks for the reference. I know it's all relative to multiple factors. Where I currently live, one acre can push $80-100k. But that's suburbia.

4eyedbuzzard
03-24-2017, 20:31
Thanks for the reference. I know it's all relative to multiple factors. Where I currently live, one acre can push $80-100k. But that's suburbia.Land/housing in Hanover, NH is expensive due to Dartmouth College, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, the VA Medical Center in nearby White River Jct, VT, etc. It's a thriving little area with a mix of small town, affluent suburbia, and small acreage properties. Lots of "gentleman farms" in the mix as well. But, this was a structured deal for a specific purpose (conservation) and profit wasn't the motive. There were likely lots of restrictions on what the Dartmouth trustees could do from a fiduciary standpoint, as well as restrictions on the acquiring agencies, all requiring a lot of fancy structuring to make the deal work.

TX Aggie
03-24-2017, 20:58
Land/housing in Hanover, NH is expensive due to Dartmouth College, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, the VA Medical Center in nearby White River Jct, VT, etc. It's a thriving little area with a mix of small town, affluent suburbia, and small acreage properties. Lots of "gentleman farms" in the mix as well. But, this was a structured deal for a specific purpose (conservation) and profit wasn't the motive. There were likely lots of restrictions on what the Dartmouth trustees could do from a fiduciary standpoint, as well as restrictions on the acquiring agencies, all requiring a lot of fancy structuring to make the deal work.

Once I saw the map I saw how close the farm is to the college, so it makes sense.

peakbagger
03-25-2017, 07:11
Here's a more detailed account of the transaction, which should be read before passing judgment either way on the merits of the acquisition https://news.dartmouth.edu/news/2017/03/hudson-farm-property-be-added-appalachian-trail

The link appears to be dead

4eyedbuzzard
03-25-2017, 08:09
The link appears to be deadWorks fine for me at 7:08a CST :confused:

rocketsocks
03-25-2017, 10:03
Works fine for me at 7:08a CST :confused:Yup, workin' fine here.

peakbagger
03-25-2017, 10:52
Work fine for me now. When I did my prior post I had tried it several times and kept getting a blank page.

I expect that the driver for the college is to get it off their books and into the fed hands to keep any other entity from trying to grab it.

A friends wife worked in that area of NH, she would recruit doctors for the large hospital in the area, on occasion doctors would have to quit after several months when they couldn't find affordable housing in the area. When she got the job they looked for a year and ended up close to 60 miles away to buy a place they could afford. Many of the folks in their town are in the same situation. The towns around the Hanover area do whatever they have to prevent affordable housing from getting built by putting in restrictive zoning. That means there are lot of nice old farms with big lots that go for far more than the local wages will support.

rafe
03-25-2017, 13:13
Merry and I once considered Hanover as a potential town to retire to. For her it has to be a college town. But when we looked into it just a bit we realized that anything close to town was beyond our means.

rickb
03-25-2017, 14:02
That means there are lot of nice old farms with big lots that go for far more than the local wages will support.

The late Charles Bronson had one.

He was sitting alone on a bench on the main drag when I walked by on my Thru in '83. I regret not saying hello -- especially so since I had been living in an area that allow me and my then girlfriend (his biggest fan) to watch what seemed like like every fillm he ever made the year prior. I could have said something pithy.

4eyedbuzzard
03-25-2017, 21:29
Ah, yes. Mr. Kersey

Harrison Ford also had a place in the general area. A little further north in Bath, NH I believe.