PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bags

Storminnorman
03-24-2017, 19:28
Considering purchasing a new sleeping bag. I know some of you will mention quilts but for now I am only interested in a sleeping bag. These are the ones I am currently thinking about. They are all rated for similar temperature ranges (20-28 F)and weigh between 1.5 lb to just under 2 lbs. The reason for considering these is they are all 20% off and I have approx. $25 in credit to apply. I've looked at Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends but they are a bit too pricey.

Marmot Phase 20
Mountain Hardwear Phantom Spark 28
Mountain Hardwear Ratio 32
REI Igneo 25

Venchka
03-24-2017, 19:38
Assuming you're buying from REI you will have 12 months to do real world testing.
Are the internal discussions similar? Are you comfortable with a slim mummy or do you want or need a wide interior?
All mummy bags are not created equal. Put 10 people in the same bag and you'll get some who are cold, some warm and several who are either claustrophobic or have too much room.
Look at all of the specifications and independent reviews.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
03-24-2017, 19:41
Sorry.
Should be internal dimensions. Shoulders and hips are most critical.
Wayne

Storminnorman
03-24-2017, 19:46
I posted here to get some independent opinions and reviews. I will be doing my due diligence regarding the choices I have. I guess I am really trying to find out about quality of these bags and to see what others who actually own or have owned one. I understand that there will be cold, warm, average sleepers and that all bags don't have the same dimensions.

cmoulder
03-24-2017, 20:08
I've owned (or still own) bags from all 3 and the Marmot was the best IMO. It was a Plasma 15 and I actually found it warm at 15°F and weight right at 2 lbs.

Quality of all three is excellent to very good.

But I agree with Venchka that there is a whole host of factors beyond quality and temperature ratings.

Venchka
03-24-2017, 21:34
This is the type of review that I meant. There are more online.
http://m.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacking-Sleeping-Bag-Reviews/REI-Igneo
Wayne