PDA

View Full Version : Altra after market footbeds

Dogwood
03-24-2017, 22:55
Looking for Altra after market footbeds with a high arch that fit Altra's super wide blunt toebox.

I have size 14 EEE feet so even a cut down size 15 footbed like Superfeet doesn't fit properly.

Does anyone use Altras with a high arch using after market footbeds that fit? Even a little space from footbeds not fitting where toes fall off is a hot spot waiting to become a blister. I do not want to add glue or adhesive to the inside of the shoe to fill in a gap. I want to be able to remove the footbed. Would like Altra owners in this situation to answer.

left52side
03-24-2017, 23:10
Looking for Altra after market footbeds with a high arch that fit Altra's super wide blunt toebox.

I have size 14 EEE feet so even a cut down size 15 footbed like Superfeet doesn't fit properly.

Does anyone use Altras with a high arch using after market footbeds that fit? Even a little space from footbeds not fitting where toes fall off is a hot spot waiting to become a blister. I do not want to add glue or adhesive to the inside of the shoe to fill in a gap. I want to be able to remove the footbed. Would like Altra owners in this situation to answer.

Good luck with this dogwood.
I have worn altra for A bit now and love them but cannot think of anything after market that would come close for there toe boxes.
What style are you wearing ?
I am fond of the superior 2.0 but am planning on trying the newer superior 3.0 ...

wannahike
03-25-2017, 08:53
I don't know about a high arch but you can buy sheets of spenco material and cut your own https://www.spenco.com/product.aspx?prodid=107 You could probably cut arch shaped extra pieces and glue together on the bottom side of insole matching one you already use.
And looking on google there are a lot of diy hits.

I do love my Altras too.

Dogwood
03-25-2017, 14:26
Rollin Olympus 2.0. and LPs

nsherry61
03-25-2017, 23:49
Your best bet is probably to use a 3/4 length type arch support under the supplied thin foam insole that comes with them.

I have built up custom footbeds by gluing foam as needed on the underside of the foam insoles that come with the shoes, and doing so has worked well for me. But then, my feet are very "special" and it took quite a bit of study and experimentation to find what worked. The right shoe is pretty much stock while the left shoe has some pretty extensive modifications as needed. They still aren't perfect, but they are better than anything else commercial or custom that I've found or had made to date.

Dogwood
03-26-2017, 17:42
Your best bet is probably to use a 3/4 length type arch support under the supplied thin foam insole that comes with them.

I have built up custom footbeds by gluing foam as needed on the underside of the foam insoles that come with the shoes, and doing so has worked well for me. But then, my feet are very "special" and it took quite a bit of study and experimentation to find what worked. The right shoe is pretty much stock while the left shoe has some pretty extensive modifications as needed. They still aren't perfect, but they are better than anything else commercial or custom that I've found or had made to date.

That's what I was doing using shoe cookies or the separated rigid high arch/heel support of Green Super Feet under the stock crappy Altra foot beds but seeking to get away from that if I can.

nsherry61
03-26-2017, 21:49
That's what I was doing using shoe cookies or the separated rigid high arch/heel support of Green Super Feet under the stock crappy Altra foot beds but seeking to get away from that if I can.

Two things that might be helpful:
1) The heel cups in the super feet are thick enough they lift my heel out of the back of the Altras more than I like. Which I why I gave up on superfeet in my Altras, even after I cut the front (toebox area) off the superfeet so they were functionally just arch supports.

2) Don't think of the stock insole as a crappy footbed, think of it as a good starting foundation for your foot support arts and crafts project of gluing foam to the bottom of them :D . . . for what it's worth I spent a lot of time tuning my "customer footbeds" by taping different shaped pieces of foam onto the bottom of the insoles and adjusting their possition before I finally glued them with contact cement. Taped foam slips around, especially in hot weather, but glued foam stays put nicely.

Deacon
06-09-2017, 17:08
Two things that might be helpful:
1) The heel cups in the super feet are thick enough they lift my heel out of the back of the Altras more than I like. Which I why I gave up on superfeet in my Altras, even after I cut the front (toebox area) off the superfeet so they were functionally just arch supports.

I just received my Lone Peak 3.5's, put my green superfeet in and found the same issue. Slight slippage at the heel. I ordered a pair of blue superfeet with slightly less thickness.

We will see.

Starchild
06-09-2017, 19:22
I've used Aetrex in them and while not an exact fit, it has not caused any hot spots or uncomfortableness of any kind.

nsherry61
06-10-2017, 00:34
Superfeet have a new insole that is specifically designed for the wide toe-box of Altras and other similarly shaped shoes, and they do actually fit acceptably well, even if not superbly. I don't remember what model it is, I was given a pair as a demo, and they fit well and felt good, but, they didn't work for my feet as well as my customized footbeds, so they up upstairs in my gear closet somewhere.

Deacon
06-14-2017, 05:28
I just received my Lone Peak 3.5's, put my green superfeet in and found the same issue. Slight slippage at the heel. I ordered a pair of blue superfeet with slightly less thickness.

We will see.

Ok I replaced my green with the Superfeet blue. The slight slippage at the heel is gone.

New Hampshire/Maine here I come!

saltysack
06-16-2017, 15:02
Ok I replaced my green with the Superfeet blue. The slight slippage at the heel is gone.

New Hampshire/Maine here I come!

Thx I just had same issue with new lone peaks... blue feel great but make a popping sound on my right foot...weird almost like its suctioning to my foot then releasing with each step...annoying so I called SF they have never heard that...back to the drawing board....on a positive note I really like the new LP fit better than the Olympus....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk