PDA

View Full Version : Best 3-4 day 50-60 mile section in SNP...next weekend.

saltysack
03-24-2017, 23:46
Posted in wrong section prior. Sorry....Looking like I'll have a few days to hike as I'll be in Norfolk mid next week....any recommendations for section, Shuttler, conditions etc ...would like to see tinker, McAfee etc..if possible...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scudder
03-25-2017, 01:00
tinker, mcafee, dragons tooth, are 100 miles south of the entrance to SNP, near Roanoke. If you want to do something in that area, shuttler Homer Witcher can help you out 540-266-4849.
I'm going to suggest Buena Vista / RT 60 to Rockfish Gap (southern entrance to SNP)55 miles. featuring Cold Mt, Spy Rock, the Priest,Three Ridges, Humpback Rocks. Some nice views.some tough elevation changes. It'll save you another 3 hrs of driving to/ from Norfolk /Roanoake. Cut out the Reeds Gap to Rockfish Gap if you need to shorten the trip. Shuttler Bill Gallagher in Waynesboro 540-456-8078

saltysack
03-25-2017, 08:31
tinker, mcafee, dragons tooth, are 100 miles south of the entrance to SNP, near Roanoke. If you want to do something in that area, shuttler Homer Witcher can help you out 540-266-4849.
I'm going to suggest Buena Vista / RT 60 to Rockfish Gap (southern entrance to SNP)55 miles. featuring Cold Mt, Spy Rock, the Priest,Three Ridges, Humpback Rocks. Some nice views.some tough elevation changes. It'll save you another 3 hrs of driving to/ from Norfolk /Roanoake. Cut out the Reeds Gap to Rockfish Gap if you need to shorten the trip. Shuttler Bill Gallagher in Waynesboro 540-456-8078

Great thx.....Appreciate the info...will call Bill.....

saltysack
03-26-2017, 17:04

Damn....sounds like Bill isn't going to live much longer.....is three springs hostel still open? I keep getting a busy tone.... looks like would like to hike sobo from rockfish gap to my truck in BV @ 60...assume parking is ok...looking like Thursday to Saturday...

saltysack
03-26-2017, 17:09
For some reason I'm not able to clear my box to send any more pm....deer hunter still around BV, Va?

saltysack
03-26-2017, 17:33
Disregard...just set up shuttle w three springs...

scudder
03-26-2017, 18:32
Sorry i gave you outdated shuttle advice. Godspeed Bill
. Glad you got a ride. Where there's a will there's a way.
Have a great hike.

saltysack
03-26-2017, 20:17
Sorry i gave you outdated shuttle advice. Godspeed Bill
. Glad you got a ride. Where there's a will there's a way.
Have a great hike.

No prob......thoughts are with bill and family....hope the weather cools down! Looking like I'll start early Thursday morning and hope to finish mid afternoon on sat.....55 miles...

saltysack
03-26-2017, 20:31
Any must camp spots? Shooting for day one 20 +\~ miles puts me near maupin field shelter night one and another 20 puts me around seeley woodsworth shelter night 2...leaves 15 for Saturday then that fun 9 hour drive home.....heading sobo from rockfish gap to BV @ hwy60.....current bear activity?

scudder
03-26-2017, 21:05
weather Friday looks rainy. i hope they got that wrong. You can check out wintergreen or Beech Grove, Va to follow along .Tons of spots around Maupin and the spring is behind the shelter. Theres a map board there which breaks down distances. If it's going to be rainy Friday and views are not going to happen, you have the option of taking Mau-Har trail instead of AT, following Campbell Creek a ways . Its less miles but only marginally faster , might save an hour. Nice camp spots along the creek if you have gas in the tank on day one. I camped at the waterfall a month ago(probably too long a haul from Rockfish.) and had no problems with critters, but at times I have seen bears in the area, so best to take the usual precautions.
Climbing the Priest Southbound will require some effort. Seeley Woolworth has a really nice spring. Another great one at HogCamp Gap. Theres a steel pole to hang your food at Maupin. I don't recall if Seeley has one . There was a thread recently about bear activity at Browns Creek which is a couple miles south of rt 60, your end point.

saltysack
03-26-2017, 22:14
Another blond moment.....I guess this section isn't in the park.....daaa. Is rockfish gap to swift run any better as it's in the park..either would fit my schedule...

scudder
03-26-2017, 23:02
I don't care for the AT in the SNP as much because you're crossing the road pretty regularly. In my view the blue blazers are the real gems in the park, more than the AT. That said, it might be a more relaxed trip for you , covering less mileage and less elevation change than the other itinerary. The huts are laid out about 13 miles apart so if you did a 20 from rockfish gap to black rock the first or last day, the other two days would be shorter. They say there's a bear per every square mile in the park. Between Blackrock and Pinefield you can take the Jones Run Trail, and the Doyle River Trail on the east side of the Blue Ridge and bag three waterfalls and it'll only cost you an extra mile or so (plus the hump down and back up) This would be a great thing to do if it's rainy IMO

saltysack
03-26-2017, 23:08
I don't care for the AT in the SNP as much because you're crossing the road pretty regularly. In my view the blue blazers are the real gems in the park, more than the AT. That said, it might be a more relaxed trip for you , covering less mileage and less elevation change than the other itinerary. The huts are laid out about 13 miles apart so if you did a 20 from rockfish gap to black rock the first or last day, the other two days would be shorter. They say there's a bear per every square mile in the park. Between Blackrock and Pinefield you can take the Jones Run Trail, and the Doyle River Trail on the east side of the Blue Ridge and bag three waterfalls and it'll only cost you an extra mile or so (plus the hump down and back up) This would be a great thing to do if it's rainy IMO

I'd rather not cross the parkway so much as I'll have my pup with me.....he stays within a few feet of me but always leash around roads or others. Sounds like I'll stick with first plan....any idea of current water conditions?

scudder
03-26-2017, 23:43
lots of water on that route generally. don't need to carry much . some creeks between rockfish and Paul Wolfe where there's a strong stream. Theres a piped spring on the way up Humpback that should be running.Its not on the map but its right beside the trail. next are laurel springs, and dripping rock right by the road crossing.I'd tank up there and that will get you to Maupin. If you stay on the AT over 3 ridges there are two iffy springs that were dry a couple weeks ago so carry what you need until Harper's. If you go Mau Har, there a creek beside the trail for a couple miles.Then its water everywhere. water at Tye river, Priest shelter, Crabtree Meadows,Seeley , Piney River, Hog Camp. Tank up there because the shelter at cow camp is way off the trail. of course if its rainy there will be other places.

saltysack
03-27-2017, 14:32
Any reason not to hike it sobo? Was thinking would save lil drive time on Saturday but what's 40-45 min....

scudder
03-27-2017, 18:30
Southbound is fine. No matter which way you go the climb from Tye River to the top is a challenging 3000 ft. But Southbound puts you on Cold Mt the last day . Great Views, and then you finish with a long downhill to RT 60. If you're running out of steam or daylight on day 2, there's a nice camp spot with a huge rock and a spring 20 yards off the right side of the trail at Porter's Field about a half mile short of Seeley -Woodworth.

AfterParty
03-27-2017, 20:30
Look up kiwi wandering on YouTube he's doing campsite and water videos idk if he to where you are looking at though but deffintly worth checking.

u.w.
03-28-2017, 02:39
Water is pretty good along this section.
Kiwi is not that far north yet.
Was some aggressive bear issues last spring in the Humpback Rocks area... No idea if that is still the case this year though.
Nice camp spots just past the top proper of Priest, where the awesome view point is on the right (as you hike sobo) and maybe a short 0.25 mile prior (north) of the shelter (shelter area has great water by the way). Tons of good camping near the shelter there too.
Also some descent camp spots right next to (literally) Spy Rock (amazing views there), but zero water...
There are some Really Nice balds a bit after you pass Seeley, so if the weather is good - you might consider that/those as yer night stopping spot. Pretty easy hike from them down to 60.
IMO/E going sobo on this section would be a little easier. I wouldn't say the climb up Priest (sobo) is THAT bad. You'll get to hike down Three Ridges, and Bald Nob.
I hope everything, including the weather, works out great for you and that you enjoy your hike very much. It's a pretty nice section with a little bit of everything.

u.w.

saltysack
04-02-2017, 10:53
Thx all for the great info. I started mid morning Thursday meeting Oma from three pines hostel at the Long mountain wayside(60) where I left my truck. We drove to Rockfish gap where she dropped me off.....very nice person and highly recommend her. Got started hiking south about 11:00 by a little after 8:30 I arrived at the Maupin shelter (21 miles) and quickly threw up my new duomid....10 min later came the rain off an on for the next 24 hours with severe wind and lightning! Packed up and getting soaked by 9...got my tired arse kicked climbing the priest! Stopped at the priest shelter for water and another round of down pours started....ugg I had another 6-7 miles to get to Seeley shelter so I would only have 13 miles to my truck in the morning ......we made it to seeley about 8:40 to find the place empty....nice and quiet compared to the scout yelling match the night before! About 2:30am while asleep in the shelter my pup started growling as I look out I see lights shining from a distance ....figured it was hikers like my self who got delayed by the storms. Never met them as they were tenting out back. We packed up and started walking about 5:45 am and at the truck about noon.....the fun started with the 10 hour drive home....

saltysack
04-02-2017, 11:11
Oops accidentally posted as I wasn't done...I now know why they call it the priest! All the cursing I did climbing it I felt I should go see the priest for confession! All in all a great trip with some nice views if I wasn't in the clouds...go figure the weather forecast was spot on! 100% chance of severe weather! Only real excitement besides dodging lightning was the two bears that followed us just before the Seely shelter...I was glad to have a real headlamp not a ul attempt at one...300 lumen zebra light came in handy...I finally rolled a huge boulder down toward them from the trail that made them retreat....ended up being roughly 2-21 mile days and a 13-14 to finish up but had a gear time. VERY impressed with my new MLD gear.....the prophet carried like a dream with about 20lbs. Stayed pretty dry in the cuben duomid dispute the torrential downpours. Only gear that I'm not pleased with is the Altra LP 3.0 as this pair was virtually brand new and the rubber on both toe caps was peeling after the first day...exactly the same problem I had with the previous pair I returned! Looks like I'm going back to the wildcats....https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170402/a407b25b021923c3b0cc70c251f25854.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170402/3762e9f980cf99296b57a1ac6d25d35d.jpg

johnnybgood
04-02-2017, 13:25
Great trip report and pictures Salty. Wish you had better weather to hike in but I'll take rain over hot & humid any day.
There ARE mountains to climb in Virginia. Don't let anyone try to tell you it's all flat. :)

kestral
04-02-2017, 13:28
Great pics! Glad your trip was a success. I'm looking forward to a hike in a couple weeks, but I'm much slower than you! lol.

scudder
04-02-2017, 15:11
glad you had a good time. too bad about weather on day 2- there are some great views through there, but it looks like it cleared enough to get some great shots. And bonus- water is not an issue for awhile. I thought about you Friday morning when the T-storms rolled through.

saltysack
04-03-2017, 11:54
Thx all for the great info. I started mid morning Thursday meeting Oma from three pines hostel at the Long mountain wayside(60) where I left my truck. We drove to Rockfish gap where she dropped me off.....very nice person and highly recommend her. Got started hiking south about 11:00 by a little after 8:30 I arrived at the Maupin shelter (21 miles) and quickly threw up my new duomid....10 min later came the rain off an on for the next 24 hours with severe wind and lightning! Packed up and getting soaked by 9...got my tired arse kicked climbing the priest! Stopped at the priest shelter for water and another round of down pours started....ugg I had another 6-7 miles to get to Seeley shelter so I would only have 13 miles to my truck in the morning ......we made it to seeley about 8:40 to find the place empty....nice and quiet compared to the scout yelling match the night before! About 2:30am while asleep in the shelter my pup started growling as I look out I see lights shining from a distance ....figured it was hikers like my self who got delayed by the storms. Never met them as they were tenting out back. We packed up and started walking about 5:45 am and at the truck about noon.....the fun started with the 10 hour drive home....

Oma @ Three springs hostel is currently under repair so only doing mail drops and shuttles....