PDA

View Full Version : Down Jacket Fit?

tdilf1
01-25-2006, 21:31
What is the optimal fit for a down jacket (for warmth) or is it just personal preference? I am between a medium and a large. Medium–seems to fit well but there is not even loft everywhere when I have it on, large–has enough room to loft all around. I will use this jacket for general winter use as well as for backpacking jaunts.

Footslogger
01-26-2006, 01:24
What is the optimal fit for a down jacket (for warmth) or is it just personal preference? I am between a medium and a large. Medium–seems to fit well but there is not even loft everywhere when I have it on, large–has enough room to loft all around. I will use this jacket for general winter use as well as for backpacking jaunts.
=============================
Unless there's a hug difference in the weight of both coats I would suggest the larger size. It is the dead air space between you and the inner lining of the down jacket that makes it work. Sometimes when you are pressed tightly against the inside of the jacket there can be some transfer of cold temps that detract from the efficiency of the garment.

'Slogger

Whistler
01-26-2006, 08:37
In the situation you describe, I would also choose the larger size. The large will also help if you need add other layers underneath.
-Mark

Zzzzdyd
01-26-2006, 08:53
for the large. Leaves room for more layering under it, as well as being
easier to move about in.

chris
01-26-2006, 10:39
If the jacket doesn't loft completely in a size medium, then you need to get a size large. In general, I prefer form fitting clothing but you need to give the insulation an opportunity to completely loft.

NICKTHEGREEK
01-27-2006, 08:48

You pay for loft, so try to preserve as much as you can. If you plan on wearing a shell over the jacket in wet snow or ice make sure the shell won't compress the down removing most of the insulating properties you payed for so dearly.