PDA

View Full Version : Blister help on the trail

Shrewd
03-27-2017, 13:13
Blister question, gang.

So I've had a few hotspots after upping to 12-15 miles per day. I covered them all in leukotape. They didn't hurt too much aside from the standard my feet always hurt.

Today I took the tape off to discover one had grown into an enormous booster, and the other two were smaller but ready to pop.

I drained them all and bandaged them, but when I get back on the trail tomorrow...what's the best preventative? Did I just not get the tape on in time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
03-27-2017, 13:25
NEW SKIN!!! NEW SKIN!!! NEW SKIN!!!

New Skin is a liquid bandage which will seal and disinfect the blister. You might have to bite on a stick as you apply it, since it really stings. Apply morning and night and in 3 days the blisters will be gone.

Tape does not work well as it will end up anywhere but over the blister. It also doesn't allow the blister to heal and you risk infection.

BuckeyeBill
03-27-2017, 13:41
In addition to what Slo-go-'en said, I use to use leukotape but found Metolius climbing tape works better. I stays on even when it gets wet from sweat or rain. YMMV

JC13
03-27-2017, 13:51
Slo hit it dead on, as to preventative measures... Shoes not roomy enough in the toe box, heel slippage on downhills, socks, etc. That is something you will probably have to experiment with.

Shrewd
03-27-2017, 15:08
I'm on trail and at best have access to general stores supplies, haven't found new skin.
So, I'm getting back on the trail tomorrow. Do I just need to put on more tape and wait a few days? Replacing the tape seems like it would make the new healed skin rip off

Shrewd
03-27-2017, 15:08
Or some moleskin, I have some of that too

JC13
03-27-2017, 15:16
Moleskin and mole foam worked pretty well, I think I picked up new skin at the drugstore in Hiawassee.

Venchka
03-27-2017, 15:42
Straight from my doctor a runner:
Make a donut in tape or moleskin around the blisters. Open over the blisters and enough layers to keep your shoes from rubbing the blisters. New Skin when you find it.
Wayne

scrabbler
03-27-2017, 15:43
I've popped the blister, drained, put on some triple antibiotic to help with any germs/prevent bandage sticking, bandaid on top of that, then Leukotape on top of that.

Puddlefish
03-27-2017, 15:50
I never pop blisters ever. The blister is nature's bandaid. I did stop every day for an hour at lunch, aired out the feet and the boots. Alcohol to toughen the skin on hot spots, Leukotape on after it's dried. Mine never got large. After hiking a few day in the rain, all sorts of dead skin did eventually slough off, which is fine, because you don't want blisters forming behind really thick callouses.

Hiked with a guy for a month who was just blisters all day every day. Everyone gave him all kinds of advice, it was kind of a trail hobby event. Eventually, he switched boots and the blisters stopped.

Venchka
03-27-2017, 16:00
I've popped the blister, drained, put on some triple antibiotic to help with any germs/prevent bandage sticking, bandaid on top of that, then Leukotape on top of that.

Read Post #8 please.
Wayne

Shrewd
03-27-2017, 16:29
What do you mean open around the blister?
Right now all I have is what's available at Fontana's general store

Slo-go'en
03-27-2017, 18:01
He means don't cover the blister, but surround it with the moleskin. IE, cut a hole in the middle of the moleskin the same size as the blister. Of course, it depends on how big the blister is and where it is for this to work.

Where is your "enormous" blister? Back of the heel, side of the foot, toes? Where it is changes how effective tape might be in staying in place. Ask around, maybe someone has a bottle of New Skin in their first aid bag. I always do.

map man
03-27-2017, 18:52
He means don't cover the blister, but surround it with the moleskin. IE, cut a hole in the middle of the moleskin the same size as the blister. Of course, it depends on how big the blister is and where it is for this to work.

Where is your "enormous" blister? Back of the heel, side of the foot, toes? Where it is changes how effective tape might be in staying in place. Ask around, maybe someone has a bottle of New Skin in their first aid bag. I always do.

For you New Skin users, do you pop the blister before you start applying it or can you apply the new skin to an unpopped blister?

TTT
03-27-2017, 19:27
I think early riser (youtube) was saying that he threaded a needle in and out of a blister leaving a thread of cotton in its wake that drained the blister . He found it worked wonders.

LIhikers
03-27-2017, 20:40
Once I open and drain a blister I don't tape them at night.
I wipe on a little triple antibiotic ointment and put on my sleep socks.
That way the blisters get to drain and air out a bit

Slo-go'en
03-27-2017, 20:41
For you New Skin users, do you pop the blister before you start applying it or can you apply the new skin to an unpopped blister?

I'm a popper. Got to get to the fresh underlayer of skin to do any good. And the fluid in an un-popped blister is painful to walk on.

Venchka
03-27-2017, 20:50
What do you mean open around the blister?
Right now all I have is what's available at Fontana's general store

A donut around the blister thick enough to protrude above the blister so your shoe won't rub the blister. Moleskin, duct tape, 4 Band-Aids and scissors.
I would not cover the blister so your shoe continues to irritate the blister.
Wayne

TTT
03-27-2017, 23:20
You basically treat it as you would an impaled or protruding object from a wound. You put something around it and not on it

TX Aggie
03-27-2017, 23:44
I've used New Skin for cuts several times, but never for blisters. I'll have to remember that. My only concern is you've just sealed the drain for any more fluid to escape.

I've tried the donut hole moleskin technique, and it works.....if you're no longer active. I've always heard not to pop and drain blisters, but I've never had any ill side-effects when I popped them. My dad (a medical doctor) always had a needle in our medical kit. Use 1) lifting splinters enough to get a hold with tweezers. Use 2) dipping in alcohol or hold over a flame before draining a blister.

Yes, blisters are natures defense mechanism. And that mechanism is to create calluses. If you leave a blister and don't drain it. It continue walking, you stretch the skin and end up tearing the entire layer away. If you drain it, the skin (typically) sticks to the inner layer, dries out, and forms a calluses.

That's been my experience anyhow.

JC13
03-28-2017, 08:15
For you New Skin users, do you pop the blister before you start applying it or can you apply the new skin to an unpopped blister?I pop and then apply. Burns so good. You could put it on unpopped but then you still have to deal with the pain from the pressure. I would imagine it might work like tape if you feel a hotspot, put 2-3 layers of new skin over the hotspot and keep on trucking.

TX Aggie
03-28-2017, 09:28
I pop and then apply. Burns so good. You could put it on unpopped but then you still have to deal with the pain from the pressure. I would imagine it might work like tape if you feel a hotspot, put 2-3 layers of new skin over the hotspot and keep on trucking.

I'm not sure what good it would do if you didn't pop the blister. The purpose of New Skin is to close open wounds, which would be the drain hole you create to remove the fluid.

JC13
03-28-2017, 09:35
I'm not sure what good it would do if you didn't pop the blister. The purpose of New Skin is to close open wounds, which would be the drain hole you create to remove the fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI agree on the intended purpose. The thought was that the new skin would create multiple layers for the friction to rub against rather than the skin that the hotspot is on. May work, may not. Just an idea.

scrabbler
03-28-2017, 10:56
I pop and then apply. Burns so good. You could put it on unpopped but then you still have to deal with the pain from the pressure. I would imagine it might work like tape if you feel a hotspot, put 2-3 layers of new skin over the hotspot and keep on trucking.

Are you removing the entire cover of the blister, then applying?

JC13
03-28-2017, 11:09
Are you removing the entire cover of the blister, then applying?I usually pop the blister with my knife, drain, then new skin. I did have two last year that had already popped and the skin was gone so I put it directly over the area.

I know you should stop as soon as you feel a hot spot but we were running as fast as we could to get off a ridge in a lightning storm. By the time we got to Whitley Gap Shelter, it was too late for the feet.

rashamon12
03-28-2017, 11:57
depending on the location there are many different things you can do but if they are inbetween the toes and not where your foot is rubbing the actual boot toe socks help alot as well as you should use some of these other suggestions given. The best method is use these before the blisters really can form so some rest and healing time would be the best long term solution but well taking 0's is not always possible.

Slo-go'en
03-28-2017, 12:04
I was hiking with 3 other guys down on the southern end of the trial. I noticed the 20 something was starting to lag behind and he was always the fast one. So I asked him what was wrong and he said blisters. I gave him my bottle of New Skin and three days later we couldn't keep up with him again.

Shrewd
03-28-2017, 12:58
So I'll pickup new skin when I can.
Till then, clean it, bandage it somehow, then tape over the bandage; correct?

Change bandage as often as possible

blw2
03-28-2017, 16:49
I've never had to deal with them on a long hike, but watching some hiking vids on youtube (Evan's Hiking Videos I think it was)
he was struggling with them for a while.... using antibiotic creams and such. Finally visited a doc in a town, who showed him how to properly bandage and keep dry (no creams or ointments) and keep them dry. Seemed to work for him and I think it seems plausible....

Hiked with a guy for a month who was just blisters all day every day. Everyone gave him all kinds of advice, it was kind of a trail hobby event. Eventually, he switched boots and the blisters stopped.

yeah, probably like sea-sick advice on scuba dive charter boats..... everybody has a solution, when all the person really wants is to be left alone!

Turk6177
03-28-2017, 21:42
I like new skin. I have found, however that duct tape works great if you put a large enough piece on.

saltysack
03-28-2017, 23:30
I used to get blisters before I..........
-switched to over sized trail runners a full size larger.
-wash feet mid day and soak in stream if available, reapply body glide with every sock change.
-alternate socks mid day, wash other pair hang on pack to dry for next morning and repeat.
-remove shoes and socks during breaks..rarely get blisters anymore but if feel a hotspot stop clean feet and apply leukotape...