PDA

View Full Version : Folding trekking poles for tent set up

ladytaz
03-27-2017, 15:04
I have lost my hiking poles and I am doing research for a new pair. I use my poles to support my tent also. (lightheart gear solo) The ones I had were hellinox ridgelines. I liked them and they worked great with my tent.They were the telescopic type you just push each section up into the other for shortening them when not in use.

I was looking at the black diamond Z type poles that fold into three sections and are more compact when not in use.

My question is have any of you used this type of pole to support your tent? Any problems with them when doing so? My friend has a pair and I got a glimpse of them the other day but they didn't look as sturdy as the other type of pole. I'm not saying they are not as sturdy, I didn't use them so I don't know.

nsherry61
03-27-2017, 15:33
The Z poles are lighter, but more than strong enough for shelter support.

The biggie is getting a fixed length z-pole the right length for you while hiking and at the same time the right length to work with your shelter.

There is one model of the z pole that has an adjustable length, if I recall correctly, but you pay a slight weight penalty for that luxury.

It's pretty easy to carry a short piece of tubing, sized to stick over the end of your poles, to lengthen your poles the right amount. I think most shelters tend to use longer, not shorter poles.

If needed, it's harder to effetely shorten fixed length poles. Some shelters allow the pole to be set at an angle that would effectively shorten the pole. For a tarp, you can just tie a loop around the pole, coming off at the height you want for your ridgeline or whatever. But, if you shelter depends on inserting a pole of the right length inside, and that is shorter than you use for walking, I don't know what the best solution might be except getting an adjustable length pole.

Venchka
03-27-2017, 15:37
I bought Komperdell Folding sticks a couple years ago. I recently bought a TarpTent and used it with the folding sticks for the first time last week. My only caution is make sure you get the right size and correct adjustment range.
At the shortest length mine are almost too long for hiking or setting up the tent. I bought a long size and should have gotten a size shorter.
Strength wise they are fine. The tubes are the same sizes as my much older pair of telescoping Komperdell sticks.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ladytaz
03-27-2017, 15:42
I don't mind the extra weight on the zpole if its adjustable, there not heavy to begin with any way. The way my tent works you set it up at about 125 centimeters then you have to adjust it on up to about 130 to tighten it.

ladytaz
03-27-2017, 15:43
The Z poles are lighter, but more than strong enough for shelter support.

The biggie is getting a fixed length z-pole the right length for you while hiking and at the same time the right length to work with your shelter.

There is one model of the z pole that has an adjustable length, if I recall correctly, but you pay a slight weight penalty for that luxury.

It's pretty easy to carry a short piece of tubing, sized to stick over the end of your poles, to lengthen your poles the right amount. I think most shelters tend to use longer, not shorter poles.

If needed, it's harder to effetely shorten fixed length poles. Some shelters allow the pole to be set at an angle that would effectively shorten the pole. For a tarp, you can just tie a loop around the pole, coming off at the height you want for your ridgeline or whatever. But, if you shelter depends on inserting a pole of the right length inside, and that is shorter than you use for walking, I don't know what the best solution might be except getting an adjustable length pole.

I don't mind the extra weight on the zpole if its adjustable, there not heavy to begin with any way. The way my tent works you set it up at about 125 centimeters then you have to adjust it on up to about 130 to tighten it.

Cheyou
03-27-2017, 16:25
I use the adjustable aluminum Z poles 7oz each I think .To set my mid at 48" they are to short so I add an extender tube and use the adjustment to lower it if the weather is bad. Used carbon fiber poles Cascade Mountain and broke lower section in Pen . Like the Z poles much more

Good luck Thom

ladytaz
03-27-2017, 16:47
I use the adjustable aluminum Z poles 7oz each I think .To set my mid at 48" they are to short so I add an extender tube and use the adjustment to lower it if the weather is bad. Used carbon fiber poles Cascade Mountain and broke lower section in Pen . Like the Z poles much more

Good luck Thom

TY Thom!!!

Maineiac64
03-27-2017, 20:17
Take a look at Leki micro vario.

Dogwood
03-27-2017, 20:23
Black Diamond FLZ Series or if you're an even more extreme UL fanatic and want a 3 yr no questions guarantee Komperdell Carbon Vario 4. Both have a range of adjustment so one set of trekking poles may replace several sets of tarp/tent poles of variable lengths. That's how I justified the cost of both. I had accumulated 4 different sets of UL tarp poles.

Venchka
03-27-2017, 20:28
Perhaps you should run your selection by Judy before committing.
Wayne

Venchka
03-27-2017, 20:32
Black Diamond FLZ Series or if you're an even more extreme UL fanatic and want a 3 yr no questions guarantee Komperdell Carbon Vario 4. Both have a range of adjustment so one set of trekking poles may replace several sets of tarp/tent poles of variable lengths. That's how I justified the cost of both. I had accumulated 4 different sets of UL tarp poles.

I have the Carbon Vario 4 Long. At 5'-8" they are almost too long. Be careful buying any folding sticks with a limited range of adjustments.
Wayne

egilbe
03-28-2017, 07:22
I use my trekking poles to hold up my tarp and I stayed away from folding poles because I want that variable adjustment that flip locks, or twist locks, give me. Makes up for a crappy camp site selection and i can adjust the poles from inside when the silnylon starts to sag after some time.

ladytaz
03-28-2017, 07:34
Take a look at Leki micro vario.

I did, she said the two models I showed her would work, the rep at black diamond didn't recommend it. So I was wanting to hear from experienced users.

ladytaz
03-28-2017, 07:37
Sorry Maineiac64 I replied to you butt hat was meant for someone else

ladytaz
03-28-2017, 07:37
Perhaps you should run your selection by Judy before committing.
Wayne

I did, she said the two models I showed her would work, the rep at black diamond didn't recommend it. So I was wanting to hear from experienced users.

ladytaz
03-28-2017, 08:07
And I must say I know Judy is the ultimate experienced user of the lightheart tents. I didn't want any confusion there. I want to know about experience using them with folding poles.

Traffic Jam
03-28-2017, 09:00
I have lost my hiking poles and I am doing research for a new pair. I use my poles to support my tent also. (lightheart gear solo) The ones I had were hellinox ridgelines. I liked them and they worked great with my tent.They were the telescopic type you just push each section up into the other for shortening them when not in use.

I was looking at the black diamond Z type poles that fold into three sections and are more compact when not in use.

My question is have any of you used this type of pole to support your tent? Any problems with them when doing so? My friend has a pair and I got a glimpse of them the other day but they didn't look as sturdy as the other type of pole. I'm not saying they are not as sturdy, I didn't use them so I don't know.

I have the LightHeart Duo and the 105-125 cm Black Diamond women's distance Z poles. Fully extended, I get a taut pitch, no issues.

However, I have double awnings and the tip of the pole doesn't fit in the grommet on the tie-out for the awning. I don't have trouble rigging it up though and can fix it easily, just haven't gotten around to it.

I love the Z poles and feel they are sturdier than my Leki's.

swisscross
03-28-2017, 09:36
Solong6 owner and I find I get an better pitch when I insert poles at a 120mm and then extend poles out to take up the slack of the tent.
Difficult to pitch with poles fully extended.

ladytaz
03-28-2017, 09:58
Thank you so much! Great info. I don't have the awning so no problem

Odd Man Out
03-28-2017, 12:56
I considered those folding poles once. The way they collapse is you push a release button and one end collapses a few inches. This loosens the cord inside allowing the segments to be separated. As it turned out, when the end collapsed, the pole shrunk to exactly the length I needed for my tent. At this point, the pole is designed to come apart, but I reasoned if I were using it as a tent pole, the downward pressure from the tent on the vertical pole would keep everything in place. In the end, I didn't go that way, but in theory it should work, but you are fixed with one length and it would have to work for your tent.

Maineiac64
03-28-2017, 22:52
I use my trekking poles to hold up my tarp and I stayed away from folding poles because I want that variable adjustment that flip locks, or twist locks, give me. Makes up for a crappy camp site selection and i can adjust the poles from inside when the silnylon starts to sag after some time.

You can get both in same pole.

Dogwood
03-28-2017, 23:09
I have the Carbon Vario 4 Long. At 5'-8" they are almost too long. Be careful buying any folding sticks with a limited range of adjustments.
Wayne

Umm, 8" range of adjustment?

cmoulder
03-29-2017, 06:40

Yes... these are a hybrid fixed-length pole with only the top section that is adjustable (http://www.backpacker.com/gear/komperdell-carbon-approach-vario-4).

The three-section, carbon-fiber poles lock together via an internal Kevlar-reinforced tension cord. The Speed Lock below the handle, which is easily operable even with gloves on, allows for up to 20 centimeters of on-the-fly adjustment. The tough-but-light carbon-fiber shafts were strong enough to support 275-plus-pounds of hiker and gear, but the swing weight—how the

Venchka
03-29-2017, 07:20

Sorry. Confused even me.
I'm 5'-8" tall. At minimum extension the sticks are almost too long for me when hiking and for use with the tent.
I tracked the problem to a discrepancy between advertised minimum length and actual minimum length.
Advertised: 46"
Actual: 47"
Mumble. Grumble.
Wayne

Sandy of PA
03-29-2017, 15:53
The short version Vario 4 works perfectly for me, my tent needs 48 inches, well within the adjustment range.

Venchka
03-29-2017, 16:56
The short version Vario 4 works perfectly for me, my tent needs 48 inches, well within the adjustment range.
Now I know. I squeezed in with the 47" length. No worries.
Wayne

HeartFire
03-29-2017, 18:21

Why (and exactly what) did the black diamond rep not recommend?

Judy - LightHeart Gear

cmoulder
03-29-2017, 19:57
Maybe because you have to remove the pole baskets?? :confused:

I pitch my Solo with some MYOG poles that have the Distance Z tips—no problem at all.

ladytaz
04-04-2017, 15:32
I wound up getting the Black Diamond Unisex Distance FLZ poles (105-125 cm) I wanted my tent just a little more taut so I ordered a custom ridge bar from Judy and problem solved. thanks all for the input38928

ladytaz
04-04-2017, 15:35

Judy - LightHeart Gear

He said something like they were not as sturdy as the telescopic poles I believe, its been a few days since I talked to him, cant remember exactly.

Dogwood
04-04-2017, 15:59

Judy - LightHeart Gear

+1....

What? I've used folding BD UL Distance Carbon Fiber Z and Komperdell Vario 4 poles literally together at least 1000X times setting up tarps/tarptents?

cmoulder
04-04-2017, 17:36
+1....

What? I've used folding BD UL Distance Carbon Fiber Z and Komperdell Vario 4 poles literally together at least 1000X times setting up tarps/tarptents?

+2

I've pitched the Solo in fairly high winds (25-35 mph) with my 4.3 oz carbon fiber poles without any issues... the Solo sheds wind very nicely.

OkeefenokeeJoe
04-04-2017, 22:06
Leki Micro Vario Carbon works very well. Extremely sturdy, exceptionally strong, very lightweight, and fully adjustable.

OkeefenokeeJoe